Utah State University Employee Reviews

Great Flexibility, Low Pay
Nutrition Educator (Former Employee) –  Weber CountyAugust 13, 2016
I worked as a nutrition educator for the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program. The job provided great experience in teaching nutrition lessons to lower income clients and expanded my knowledge of the various government assistance programs available. The most difficult part of the job was recruiting clients and keeping track of all of the paperwork required. Additionally, there was little support from the supervisor. The pay doesn't match the work required, so there is a lot of turnover.
Pros
Great flexibility; great benefits
Cons
Low pay; Poor management
Poor administration!!!
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Logan, UT 84322September 14, 2016
Loved working with families but no support from supervisors. No appreciation for long hours. Beware the politics. No one has your back!
Pros
Working with families.
Cons
No support, requires you to work long hours, unwilling to help. Lots of politics and favoritism! Watch your back, there is nowhere to go for help if you have a negative situation, very stressful! Long hours!
Mindless job
Electrician/Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 17, 2016
If you just want to be a robot, this job is for you.
Nobody cares about efficiency, cost savings, usu is stuck in its oldtime ways and the ones running the shops (forman) dont give a darn about anything that changes their status, especially if it is logical and effective.
Pros
Im sure there are somewhere
Cons
Archaic system, nothing is efficient and NOBODY cares.
Good place to work but lacks in opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 14, 2016
USU has been a good employer that is exactly what you'd expect it to be. It is low stress and moderate to low workloads. There are opportunities to continue your education and most supervisors are willing to accommodate anything. The departments that I am familiar with do not provide many opportunities for pay advancement. There is also some difficulty in proposing new ideas/methods where many colleagues have been working at the university for a long time without much change.
Pros
flexability, supplement education.
Cons
low salaries, bureaucracy
A stepping stone to greener pastures!
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 12, 2016
Insufficient Pay!
Bad management.
Employee pays all travel expenses and is reimbursed later. Try doing this when your personal budget is stretched thin by the low pay!
Unprofessional attitude.
Plagiarism in research publications is practiced at USU, or at least by some professors.
Pros
There are many nice people that work at USU. You can learn some marketable skills to use elsewhere!
Cons
Too many to list.
Great work environment with friendly coworkers
CMS Programmer (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 25, 2016
I really enjoy working for Utah State University. Working for the Web Development team has been a great learning experience. I can honestly say that I have become great friends with many of my coworkers.
Great place to work, friendly environment;
Staff Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTFebruary 25, 2016
One of the best places I have ever had opportunity to work. Beautiful campus, friendly, respectful, polite people.

I enjoyed very much working with and for students, having opportunity to gain new skills (web administrator, payroll, administrative advisor). Colleagues were helpful and I made a lot of friends over there.
Pros
Campus location one of the most beautiful in this country.
Very rewarding
Recruiter and Development Officer (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTMay 27, 2016
Very high intrinsic motivators--the stories of our students is why we do what we do. Having front seat to see the lives of students change is truly priceless.
Pros
vacations, health insurance benefits
its a great work environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJune 24, 2016
its a great work environment but you have to live in a small town with very limited facilities! you enjoy the security and suffer from cold long winters
Pros
security
Cons
small town
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 17, 2016
I learned the most lab techniques. And my lab mates are very helpful. However,It's hard to make a life balance sometimes.
Pros
Good Productivity
Cons
less vocation
love the environment -- working with the aviation students is so enjoyable
Business Assistant I - Airport Student Services (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 15, 2016
spend most of my day managing student flight accounts. the folks I work with are very supportive and are a pleasure to work with and for.
Loved working with the children and sharing my passion for nutrition
EFNEP Nutrition Assistant & Teacher (Former Employee) –  Farmington, UTJanuary 10, 2016
I taught nutrition classes in the public schools through a non profit program through Utah state. It was challenging to keep the kids focused so I developed visual teaching aids that were interactive. I loved the continuing education and monthly meetings working with the other EFNEP employees. It was challenging to remember to calculate my mileage, so I decided to start taking pictures of mileage with my phone so I would remember to document it when I got home and had more accurate records.
Pros
Great schedule, very felxible
Cons
too many hours for a part time job while I was working 40 hours already
Flexible hours
Statistics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJune 7, 2016
Work hours were flexible, helping students learn math and statistics concepts was rewarding. Learned how to come at the same problem from many different angles.
Internship Program
Intern (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMarch 23, 2016
As part of my degree program, I participated in my APA approved program through Utah State University. Duties included providing individual and group counseling, crisis counseling, and specialty program in Learning and ADHD assessments.
good place to work
Assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UTJune 23, 2016
I would go to work and take care of the children and play with them. and I would clean, prepare meals, and fold laundry. it was a good work experience
Poor administrative structure from Logan
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Price, UTMay 19, 2016
Poor administrative structure, poor top-down communication. Hostile work environment in some areas of the satellite campus locations.
Worked at service desk and swimming pool
Service Desk/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 4, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for the University. I was able to work well with my co-workers and was responsible for both sells and safety of the swimmers.
fun work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  UtahMay 9, 2016
simple work, class work, easy... have I used enough words yet. School is school... it's not that difficult. You just show up and do the work required.
Good Place to Work
Biographical Recorder (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTMarch 10, 2016
They are understanding when you have to take off work for class, and whatnot. This is a work study job though so I am sure that is why they don't really care.
Pros
Lunches at the desk
Cons
Long boring work
A good job for students
Marketplace Foodservice Team Member (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 7, 2016
The Marketplace is very flexible and the hours are good for students. Coworkers are helpful and fun to work with and the managers show care and concern for the employees.
Pros
Free meals every time you work, Easy to build schedule around classes
Cons
little chance for promotion

4.2