Utah State University Employee Reviews

Can be monotonous at times but if working with the right people, it can be a blast!
Facilities Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTDecember 16, 2012
A typical day at work: First we would go over what needed to be addressed as a team, as well as discuss the jobs that customers had for us to complete. Then we would split up and go to various buildings and clean them making sure they were top condition and safe for all customers and students to use and enjoy.

What I learned: Through vigorous training and experience, no matter how gross a job can be (cleaning toilets, unclogging a hair-filled drain) there's nothing more satisfying than completing a job and having your customers compliment you and thank you.

Management: Management could be improved but considering the hours in which we all worked at it's understandable.

Co-Workers: Co-workers consisted of other students, which is good since it is a college campus. However, being the only female working with ten males was intimidating at first, but after they all saw that I could easily complete the tasks required just as well as they could, then that intimidation faded away.

Hardest Part of the Job: There really wasn't any part of the job that I considered to be difficult, maybe if someone had a weak stomach they wouldn't be able to complete the task at hand.--That being said, I think the only part of this job that is hard would be that it starts so late at night and ends incredibly early in the day, causing my sleep schedule to be completely thrown off. But that's about it.

Most Enjoyable Part: The most enjoyable part of this job would be when after cleaning something that was absolutely disgusting, the customers would thank us. Which may not seem like a lot, but it meant
  more... a lot to know that we were appreciated.  less
Pros
being able to use exercise equipment during lunch time
Cons
short or no breaks depending on the tasks required of us that night
Easier with a lot of responsibilities
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Logan, UtahAugust 17, 2014
I was a facilitator was USU, it was a really simple and laid back job. But you had a lot to take care of. A typical day would consist of the classes that I chose or had been assigned to me. I would go into the classroom 15-30 minutes before the class started. If it was an origination class -where the professor was in the classroom- I would turn on the screens that they would need to see the other sites of classrooms and students. I would turn on the computer, make sure the camera had a good shot of the professor so the outer sites would be able to see. Then the classrooms around the state would connect and we would do a site check to make sure the presentation mode worked and could be seen. We would also make sure the other sites could hear the professors mic and we would have time before the class started to make adjustments. If it were a receive class -where it's just students- I would look in the "IN" box to see if there was anything for my class that day. I would make sure the student camera had a good shot for the professor to see. I would teach them about the mics in the room, since they differ a lot between classrooms. There was room to advance if the opportunity came, it could be scheduled around your school or personal schedule. You could get as many or as less hours as you wanted. I had many bosses really, but each was over a different part, if you needed help they were right there and got the problem fixed immediately.
Pros
good pay, able to make own schedule, up to 30 hours a week.
Cons
lots of down time, a lot of sitting
Research University with Small Town Feeling
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 29, 2014
I worked as a research assistant while completing my master's and doctoral degrees. I was offered a position as a research associate after finishing my doctoral courses. During my early years as a research assistant I gathered research reports, wrote literature reviews, learned the basics of data entry and organization, and was asked to serve as content expert on multiple non-profit boards. As my ability to work with data increased I was asked to manage small data entry teams, provide data summaries, advise clients and supervisors on analytic methods for given data and research questions. There were many highly experienced researchers available to offer guidance on basic research techniques, but as I grew in my ability to complete more advanced research, it became difficult to find qualified experts to mentor me.

The majority of the people I worked with were friendly, dedicated, and intelligent people. Most people worked hard while working, but had a strong interest in family and hobbies outside of work. The hardest part of my job was finding qualified advice for complex data analyses, and dealing with very conservative management personnel. The most enjoyable part of my job was the autonomy and trust I was given to perform research and write final reports.
Pros
given trust and autonomy in research, and my work was largely done through telecommuting.
Cons
the community in general is very conservative, and pay is low compared to most of the country.
Multiple job functions
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moab, UTNovember 30, 2014
I have been working in the Regional Campuses and Distance Education (RCDE) environment for the past decade. Working in a small rural center I have assumed many roles in that time. A portion of my time was involved with administrative and faculty support. Not only did I provide administrative and faculty support but I was the site coordinator for the center. I coordinated the training and work activities of 1 lead facilitator, 6 site facilitators, and all of our work study students. I was involved in coordinating for the entire center; including exams, classroom scheduling, and facilitation staff.
My roles have shifted allowing me to be more involved with recruitment and advising, retention, and marketing support. I maintain all the USU Moab and the South West Centers social media sites, including Facebook and Twitter.

Working closely with UEN and CIDI for the technology portion of the job was the most rewarding experience. Working with the faculty in assisting them with building and developing online content was also enjoyable. The instructional design aspects of the job were the most rewarding.
Pros
the students and the part time staff made usu moab a great place to come to.
Cons
the administration was harsh and they ruled by micro-management
Great job for going to school!
Math/Statistics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 11, 2012
This job was very flexible around my hectic school schedule, and the managers gave each tutor respect and encouragement. A typical day would be entering the tutoring lab where students would be doing homework and studying their subjects of math or statistics. If they had a question they would write their name on a board and I, or another tutor, would assist them in answering their questions and helping them understand the material better. We also helped students get into habits for solving complex problems on their own. It was an excellent job because I could see the difficult problems come into focus as I helped tutor students.
Pros
flexible scheduling, and lots of personal interaction.
Cons
no benefits and pay wasn't great.
Resourceful and organized academic and research facilities.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTFebruary 23, 2015
Eminent scientists and their valuable guidance helped my way to advance my career as a researcher in the field of reproductive immunology. I enjoyed working in a team as well as independently in the laboratory to meet the aims of my PhD dissertation research project. I learned writing, and reviewing the research proposals while working with collaborators and co-workers. I acquired skills on using equipment such as flow cytometer, HPLC etc. My life as a graduate research assistant and PhD student made me learn management skills in both academic and research areas. I highly am blessed being a PhD student at USU and highly approve and recommend it to other students.
Utah State University Facilities
Security specialist (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTFebruary 16, 2014
Excellent place to work to get into the trades. Management uses the "good ole boy" system which leaves education or experience null and void in the place of growing in the ranks. The hardest part of the job is working under a foreman that does not have training in the field you are working. Often times if you run into problems you can't go to the experience boss for assistance because he often will not have that experience. The best part of the job is the leniency for time off if you have something you need to do it merely make the foreman aware you won't be in and as long as you got time you'll be fine.
Pros
insurance, job security, time off
Cons
managment uneducated, pay is low, limited to growth possibilities.
Great co-workers
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJuly 18, 2014
I love my job to the extent that I love the people that I work with. I have a wonderful boss, who challenges me to be better and to pursue good things.

I think the job itself is very mundane, but that could be that I started this job before I finished my bachelors, and am now in my masters.

This is a good job for going to school, but it is not a career job, for someone with a lot of education.

Utah State is a wonderful place to work, because of the amazing benefits. They also have great incentives and health programs.

The hardest part of my job is that I have mastered it, and I can't go up anymore. It is not a challenge, it becomes rote and mundane.
Pros
half tuition, great benefits, good people
Cons
hard to move up
Loved working with the children and sharing my passion for nutrition
EFNEP Nutrition Assistant & Teacher (Former Employee) –  Farmington, UTJanuary 10, 2016
I taught nutrition classes in the public schools through a non profit program through Utah state. It was challenging to keep the kids focused so I developed visual teaching aids that were interactive. I loved the continuing education and monthly meetings working with the other EFNEP employees. It was challenging to remember to calculate my mileage, so I decided to start taking pictures of mileage with my phone so I would remember to document it when I got home and had more accurate records.
Pros
Great schedule, very felxible
Cons
too many hours for a part time job while I was working 40 hours already
Nice atmosphere. Great people. Great benefits
Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 21, 2013
USU is a nice place to work. You are surrounded by amazing intellectuals who are passionate about their field of study. It's a nice place to kick-start a career.

The hardest part of the job is the politics involved–working for a university. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and at times it feels like wasted time and effort.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the great people you work with, the ample paid time off, the great benefits, the work/life balance, and the rich university traditions.
Pros
great benefits package. great people. nice work/life balance.
Cons
you aren't paid what you're worth because money is tight in higher ed.
Productive and very convenient
Educational Talent Search Counselor (Current Employee) –  Monument Valley, UTMay 29, 2012
My job was very productive. I enjoy working with the high school students and being part of their educational successes. I have learned that we are never too old to keep on learning. My supervisor kept me informed on all the future programs that were available for our students and the reports that were due. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the students obtain their educational goals and pursuing higher education. Most students came back and thanked us for being in their lives during their high school years.
Pros
paid college trips for students.
Cons
no insurance.
Great working atmosphere
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 11, 2015
This job is a great place to work at. Being that it is in at a college you are bound to meet new people periodically, making it an interesting job. Management is very organized and make sure you get the hours you need. The hardest part of the job is when you show up to work to learn that you guys are short-handed which then leads to a longer day at work because productivity is now slower. The most enjoyable part is knowing that the job you are performing has a purpose for the sports event at hand and that you will be attending the sport event for free.
Pros
Benefits, meeting new people
Cons
Not for everybody
Good place to gain both independent and teamwork experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 24, 2012
Most professors are very dedicated to education and students can access them easily for discussion or advice. The research projects are diverse in types and sizes. So graduate students can work on smaller projects independently and collaborate with others on bigger ones. The facilities are complete and most technical skills required in industry can be obtained here at school during a graduate program.
Pros
nice people, great environment, inexpensive life
Cons
far from big cities or industrial centers
Great place to be a grad student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTDecember 23, 2012
Professors in the instructional technology & learning sciences MS/MEd/PhD program are amazing. They're fun to be with, they go mountain biking with you, and do great research. They are always on your side and fighting to help you get experience, exposure, and make great instruction or do great research. Very supportive, very good resources here. I cannot rate my professors high enough
Pros
decent pay if you're a graduate assistant
Cons
no benefits and little tuition stipends in current economy
One on one interaction with students
Organic Chemistry Undergraduate Teaching Fellow (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 21, 2014
I hold office hours twice a week to answer any questions that students would come in with. Every exam I hold a special two hour session with my partner to help students develop study goals and explain difficult concepts that they will be tested on. After the exam has been administered I work with the professor on campus to grade and alphabetize then input scores into the computer.
Pros
work with professor and letter of recommendation
Cons
few work hours
Excellent and stimulating
Project Coordinator, Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTNovember 8, 2012
Lots of variety, travel, contact with stimulating people and events, writing, conferences. Learned about government effects on children, writing skills, program evaluation skills. Project and budget management. Coworkers were bright and typically worked well as a team. Coordinating work requirements with those of a single mother. Constant opportunities to learn new things.
Pros
benefits, wages; see above
Cons
time commitments
This company is a very fast paced, team oriented place to work.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJune 3, 2014
Going to work was just another day with friends. People really got along well and everyone enjoyed working together. It keeps you on your toes because there is constant improvement and updating going on. They keep up with the new technology and the up and coming programs. There is always something to be learned and or something to work on. There is never a dull moment. It also provides really great benefits.
Great school with supportive staff
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 1, 2015
The instructors that I was a TA for were interested in my other responsibilities and did their best to work around them. The weekly workload varied greatly from week-to-week because of when student papers were due. Reading and marking them was my most time consuming responsibility.
Pros
Excellent staff and support
Cons
I would have preferred more classes specific to my field of interest (gerontology)
Great people, great place, progressive and fun
Campus Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 23, 2015
I loved my time at Utah State University! They were great to work with and I would not hesitate to work with them again!

I loved the work place, the environment was very fun and inviting. There were not very many opportunities to progress and the pay was pretty low but it was fun to work with those people.
Pros
Great environment, very fun
Cons
No benefits, pays pretty low, minimum wage
awesome working enviorment nice people
CARPENTER/GROUNDS/PAINTER (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 18, 2014
a typical day i would prep dorms for paint mask etc i did carpet tare outs and laid carpet tile
I learned some ground crew work i learned how to be an exceptional painter and carpanter
co workers where always nice willing to answer all questions
hardest part of the job keeping other crew members organized
i enjoyed this job being active and doing physical work

4.2