Utah State University

Utah State University Employer Reviews

Utah State University Facilities
Security specialist (Current Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: insurance, job security, time off
Cons: managment uneducated, pay is low, limited to growth possibilities.
Excellent place to work to get into the trades. Management uses the "good ole boy" system which leaves education or experience null and void in the place of growing in the ranks. The hardest part of the job is working under a foreman that does not have training in the field you are working. Often times if you run into problems you can't go to the experience – more... boss for assistance because he often will not have that experience. The best part of the job is the leniency for time off if you have something you need to do it merely make the foreman aware you won't be in and as long as you got time you'll be fine. – less
Fun place
Software developer (Current Employee), Logan, UtahNovember 20, 2013
If you love winter sports this is the place to be. People are very helpful and friendly.
great envoronment
Tutor for Student Athlete Services (Former Employee), Logan, UTOctober 21, 2013
Tutoring student athletes was a fun job to do. typically i would meet with a student for an hour and help them understand whatever they are having trouble with. Also help them prep for exams and such. The hardest part of the job was getting student who don't care about their classes to care and do well.
Excellent Employer, however, subject to budget reductions
Adjunct Professor of Art (Former Employee), Logan, UTOctober 10, 2013
Pros: valuable life information transmittal through effective presentations.
Cons: the restriction of classroom time to explore information to its fullest extent
Adjunct Professor for approximately 15 years. Very successful relationship with students and University.
excellent feedback from students and university administration. Excellent compensation! Daily scheduled instruction to restricted enrollment of at risk students. Learned to perform satisfactorily with at risk students. Successful Time/Instruction – more... Management, sole responsibility without co-workers. The hardest part of job was finding enough time to satisfy my own desire for extended reseach. The most enjoyable part of the experience was knowing that information I presented was a valuable knowledge addition for the students – less
Good environment for Research work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTJuly 30, 2013
The faculty and staff are helpful which adds to the good work environment.
Higher Education
1st Assistant Softball Coach (Current Employee), Logan, UTJuly 20, 2013
Managing intercollegiate sports and monitoring accounts, budgets, production, sales, and marketing.
Friendly and helpful supervisors
Peer Advisor (Former Employee), Logan, UTJuly 18, 2013
Workstudy is a great way to earn money during the school year without competing with school work.
Very powerful environmental engineering school
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTJune 3, 2013
My current work as a Research Assistant here in the USA, has acquired me a remarkable sophisticated knowledge in the fields of water resources ecosystems, water and wastewater treatment processes, water quality management and analyses, environmental studies, hydrologic and GIS applications
Nice atmosphere. Great people. Great benefits
Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Logan, UTMay 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits package. great people. nice work/life balance.
Cons: you aren't paid what you're worth because money is tight in higher ed.
USU is a nice place to work. You are surrounded by amazing intellectuals who are passionate about their field of study. It's a nice place to kick-start a career.

The hardest part of the job is the politics involved–working for a university. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and at times it feels like wasted time and effort.

The most enjoyable – more... part of the job are the great people you work with, the ample paid time off, the great benefits, the work/life balance, and the rich university traditions. – less
Higher Education
Staff Assistant II - English Department (Former Employee), Logan, UTMay 15, 2013
What a great opportunity to liaise with students and faculty. I enjoyed working with great people and grew with my experiences there.
Great work environment with no benefits
Instructor (Current Employee), Logan, UTApril 14, 2013
The institution tries to pay you as little as possible and avoids to give benefits to employees at all possible, even if that means cutting your hours. The location is beautiful and most co-workers are good people, but top management does not have a good connection with lower management.
Stable place to work
employee (Current Employee), Logan, UTApril 3, 2013
Pros: insurance, time off, relaxed environment, beautiful area
Cons: low pay, limited upward growth potential. somewhat bureaucratic
I really enjoy the atmosphere and the people. It is a fairly laid back place to work. They do well at training their employees and taking care of the employees work needs. The schedule is usually pretty flexible and the benefits are nice.
Working in Utah State University is very lively and one gets to learn a lot under the guidance of esteemed and highly educated professors.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), logan, utahFebruary 27, 2013
I have gained a lot of practical knowledge of my subject and I am still in the process of learning each day. Coming in contact with new equipment s everyday and learning to use them is a nice experience.
Amazing
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: great lifestyle and research
Cons: dependent on grants
Great place to work, nice people amazing environment and the lifestyle is great.
Go Aggies!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 11, 2013
If you love where you go to school, you would love working for USU. I've yet to find anyone who I didn't like to work with.
Great place to be a grad student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTDecember 23, 2012
Pros: decent pay if you're a graduate assistant
Cons: no benefits and little tuition stipends in current economy
Professors in the instructional technology & learning sciences MS/MEd/PhD program are amazing. They're fun to be with, they go mountain biking with you, and do great research. They are always on your side and fighting to help you get experience, exposure, and make great instruction or do great research. Very supportive, very good resources here. I cannot – more... rate my professors high enough – less
Can be monotonous at times but if working with the right people, it can be a blast!
Facilities Service Representative (Current Employee), Logan, UTDecember 16, 2012
Pros: being able to use exercise equipment during lunch time
Cons: short or no breaks depending on the tasks required of us that night
A typical day at work: First we would go over what needed to be addressed as a team, as well as discuss the jobs that customers had for us to complete. Then we would split up and go to various buildings and clean them making sure they were top condition and safe for all customers and students to use and enjoy.

What I learned: Through vigorous training – more... and experience, no matter how gross a job can be (cleaning toilets, unclogging a hair-filled drain) there's nothing more satisfying than completing a job and having your customers compliment you and thank you.

Management: Management could be improved but considering the hours in which we all worked at it's understandable.

Co-Workers: Co-workers consisted of other students, which is good since it is a college campus. However, being the only female working with ten males was intimidating at first, but after they all saw that I could easily complete the tasks required just as well as they could, then that intimidation faded away.

Hardest Part of the Job: There really wasn't any part of the job that I considered to be difficult, maybe if someone had a weak stomach they wouldn't be able to complete the task at hand.--That being said, I think the only part of this job that is hard would be that it starts so late at night and ends incredibly early in the day, causing my sleep schedule to be completely thrown off. But that's about it.

Most Enjoyable Part: The most enjoyable part of this job would be when after cleaning something that was absolutely disgusting, the customers would thank us. Which may not seem like a lot, but it meant a lot to know that we were appreciated. – less
Great place to recieve a graduate degree
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTDecember 13, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule, pleasent work environment
I have been working towards my PhD at Utah State University for the past 4 and a half years. The faculty have been extremely helpful my mentor in particular has been a tremendous help providing a work environment that was conducive to learning as well as a flexible work schedule conducive to family life.
good for students
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTNovember 9, 2012
its a great place for a student to work, this is an appointed position based on your application to the graduate program
Excellent and stimulating
Project Coordinator, Occupational Therapist (Former Employee), Logan, UTNovember 8, 2012
Pros: benefits, wages; see above
Cons: time commitments
Lots of variety, travel, contact with stimulating people and events, writing, conferences. Learned about government effects on children, writing skills, program evaluation skills. Project and budget management. Coworkers were bright and typically worked well as a team. Coordinating work requirements with those of a single mother. Constant opportunities – more... to learn new things. – less