Utah State University

Utah State University Employer Reviews

Nice atmosphere. Great people. Great benefits
Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Logan, UTMay 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits package. great people. nice work/life balance.
Cons: you aren't paid what you're worth because money is tight in higher ed.
USU is a nice place to work. You are surrounded by amazing intellectuals who are passionate about their field of study. It's a nice place to kick-start a career.

The hardest part of the job is the politics involved–working for a university. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and at times it feels like wasted time and effort.

The most enjoyable – more... part of the job are the great people you work with, the ample paid time off, the great benefits, the work/life balance, and the rich university traditions. – less
Higher Education
Staff Assistant II - English Department (Former Employee), Logan, UTMay 15, 2013
What a great opportunity to liaise with students and faculty. I enjoyed working with great people and grew with my experiences there.
Great work environment with no benefits
Instructor (Current Employee), Logan, UTApril 14, 2013
The institution tries to pay you as little as possible and avoids to give benefits to employees at all possible, even if that means cutting your hours. The location is beautiful and most co-workers are good people, but top management does not have a good connection with lower management.
Stable place to work
employee (Current Employee), Logan, UTApril 3, 2013
Pros: insurance, time off, relaxed environment, beautiful area
Cons: low pay, limited upward growth potential. somewhat bureaucratic
I really enjoy the atmosphere and the people. It is a fairly laid back place to work. They do well at training their employees and taking care of the employees work needs. The schedule is usually pretty flexible and the benefits are nice.
Working in Utah State University is very lively and one gets to learn a lot under the guidance of esteemed and highly educated professors.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), logan, utahFebruary 27, 2013
I have gained a lot of practical knowledge of my subject and I am still in the process of learning each day. Coming in contact with new equipment s everyday and learning to use them is a nice experience.
Amazing
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: great lifestyle and research
Cons: dependent on grants
Great place to work, nice people amazing environment and the lifestyle is great.
Go Aggies!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTFebruary 11, 2013
If you love where you go to school, you would love working for USU. I've yet to find anyone who I didn't like to work with.
Great place to be a grad student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTDecember 23, 2012
Pros: decent pay if you're a graduate assistant
Cons: no benefits and little tuition stipends in current economy
Professors in the instructional technology & learning sciences MS/MEd/PhD program are amazing. They're fun to be with, they go mountain biking with you, and do great research. They are always on your side and fighting to help you get experience, exposure, and make great instruction or do great research. Very supportive, very good resources here. I cannot – more... rate my professors high enough – less
Can be monotonous at times but if working with the right people, it can be a blast!
Facilities Service Representative (Current Employee), Logan, UTDecember 16, 2012
Pros: being able to use exercise equipment during lunch time
Cons: short or no breaks depending on the tasks required of us that night
A typical day at work: First we would go over what needed to be addressed as a team, as well as discuss the jobs that customers had for us to complete. Then we would split up and go to various buildings and clean them making sure they were top condition and safe for all customers and students to use and enjoy.

What I learned: Through vigorous training – more... and experience, no matter how gross a job can be (cleaning toilets, unclogging a hair-filled drain) there's nothing more satisfying than completing a job and having your customers compliment you and thank you.

Management: Management could be improved but considering the hours in which we all worked at it's understandable.

Co-Workers: Co-workers consisted of other students, which is good since it is a college campus. However, being the only female working with ten males was intimidating at first, but after they all saw that I could easily complete the tasks required just as well as they could, then that intimidation faded away.

Hardest Part of the Job: There really wasn't any part of the job that I considered to be difficult, maybe if someone had a weak stomach they wouldn't be able to complete the task at hand.--That being said, I think the only part of this job that is hard would be that it starts so late at night and ends incredibly early in the day, causing my sleep schedule to be completely thrown off. But that's about it.

Most Enjoyable Part: The most enjoyable part of this job would be when after cleaning something that was absolutely disgusting, the customers would thank us. Which may not seem like a lot, but it meant a lot to know that we were appreciated. – less
Great place to recieve a graduate degree
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTDecember 13, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule, pleasent work environment
I have been working towards my PhD at Utah State University for the past 4 and a half years. The faculty have been extremely helpful my mentor in particular has been a tremendous help providing a work environment that was conducive to learning as well as a flexible work schedule conducive to family life.
good for students
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTNovember 9, 2012
its a great place for a student to work, this is an appointed position based on your application to the graduate program
Excellent and stimulating
Project Coordinator, Occupational Therapist (Former Employee), Logan, UTNovember 8, 2012
Pros: benefits, wages; see above
Cons: time commitments
Lots of variety, travel, contact with stimulating people and events, writing, conferences. Learned about government effects on children, writing skills, program evaluation skills. Project and budget management. Coworkers were bright and typically worked well as a team. Coordinating work requirements with those of a single mother. Constant opportunities – more... to learn new things. – less
Highly productive and filled with enthusiastic atmosphere
Graduate research assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTNovember 1, 2012
It's awesome experience studying and working in this campus. This university is one of the best universities in America in providing support either technically or financially especially for master students.
Fun place to work
Usher/Ticket Taker (Current Employee), Logan, UTOctober 18, 2012
Good place to work and assisting patrons at sporting events.
Good learning opportunity
Grant Proposal Writing Professor's Aid (Former Employee), Logan, UTOctober 1, 2012
Many hours of reviewing papers
Learned the importance of clear writing and communication
Good place to gain both independent and teamwork experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Logan, UTSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: nice people, great environment, inexpensive life
Cons: far from big cities or industrial centers
Most professors are very dedicated to education and students can access them easily for discussion or advice. The research projects are diverse in types and sizes. So graduate students can work on smaller projects independently and collaborate with others on bigger ones. The facilities are complete and most technical skills required in industry can – more... be obtained here at school during a graduate program. – less
Great Place to Work for
Wellness Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee), Logan, UTSeptember 12, 2012
Enjoyed working in several different positions at Utah State University. Liked all the people I worked for. Worked with my student schedule well.
Great place to work on campus
Computer Lab Consultant (Former Employee), Logan, UTAugust 14, 2012
Maintained the printers and helped students. Schedule was flexible but set at the beginning of each semester.
Dynamic work with friendly co-workers
Internship (Former Employee), Logan, UTAugust 13, 2012
I spear-headed a stress management program for the employees of Utah State. I would also help perform fitness assessments, nutrition consultations, and personal training sessions throughout the week. I loved working with people and helping them achieve their health goals. The staff members were friendly and helpful. I felt very comfortable working in – more... that environment. – less
Went to Various High School to recruit high school kids to Utah State
Utah State Agriculture Ambassador (Former Employee), Logan, UTJuly 16, 2012
Traveled to High Schools and got kids excited to come to Utah State and the Ag program. Had great people to work with and wonderful leaders