Utah State University Employee Reviews

Great people, great place, progressive and fun
Campus Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 23, 2015
I loved my time at Utah State University! They were great to work with and I would not hesitate to work with them again!

I loved the work place, the environment was very fun and inviting. There were not very many opportunities to progress and the pay was pretty low but it was fun to work with those people.
Pros
Great environment, very fun
Cons
No benefits, pays pretty low, minimum wage
Great working atmosphere
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 11, 2015
This job is a great place to work at. Being that it is in at a college you are bound to meet new people periodically, making it an interesting job. Management is very organized and make sure you get the hours you need. The hardest part of the job is when you show up to work to learn that you guys are short-handed which then leads to a longer day at work because productivity is now slower. The most enjoyable part is knowing that the job you are performing has a purpose for the sports event at hand and that you will be attending the sport event for free.
Pros
Benefits, meeting new people
Cons
Not for everybody
Excellent Employer, however, subject to budget reductions
Adjunct Professor of Art (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 10, 2013
Adjunct Professor for approximately 15 years. Very successful relationship with students and University.
excellent feedback from students and university administration. Excellent compensation! Daily scheduled instruction to restricted enrollment of at risk students. Learned to perform satisfactorily with at risk students. Successful Time/Instruction Management, sole responsibility without co-workers. The hardest part of job was finding enough time to satisfy my own desire for extended reseach. The most enjoyable part of the experience was knowing that information I presented was a valuable knowledge addition for the students
Pros
Valuable life information transmittal through effective presentations.
Cons
The restriction of classroom time to explore information to its fullest extent
Mindless job
Electrician/Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 17, 2016
If you just want to be a robot, this job is for you.
Nobody cares about efficiency, cost savings, usu is stuck in its oldtime ways and the ones running the shops (forman) dont give a darn about anything that changes their status, especially if it is logical and effective.
Pros
Im sure there are somewhere
Cons
Archaic system, nothing is efficient and NOBODY cares.
Good place to work but lacks in opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 14, 2016
USU has been a good employer that is exactly what you'd expect it to be. It is low stress and moderate to low workloads. There are opportunities to continue your education and most supervisors are willing to accommodate anything. The departments that I am familiar with do not provide many opportunities for pay advancement. There is also some difficulty in proposing new ideas/methods where many colleagues have been working at the university for a long time without much change.
Pros
flexability, supplement education.
Cons
low salaries, bureaucracy
Great work environment with friendly coworkers
CMS Programmer (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 25, 2016
I really enjoy working for Utah State University. Working for the Web Development team has been a great learning experience. I can honestly say that I have become great friends with many of my coworkers.
Great co-workers
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJuly 18, 2014
I love my job to the extent that I love the people that I work with. I have a wonderful boss, who challenges me to be better and to pursue good things.

I think the job itself is very mundane, but that could be that I started this job before I finished my bachelors, and am now in my masters.

This is a good job for going to school, but it is not a career job, for someone with a lot of education.

Utah State is a wonderful place to work, because of the amazing benefits. They also have great incentives and health programs.

The hardest part of my job is that I have mastered it, and I can't go up anymore. It is not a challenge, it becomes rote and mundane.
Pros
Half tuition, great benefits, good people
Cons
hard to move up
Great job for going to school!
Math/Statistics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 11, 2012
This job was very flexible around my hectic school schedule, and the managers gave each tutor respect and encouragement. A typical day would be entering the tutoring lab where students would be doing homework and studying their subjects of math or statistics. If they had a question they would write their name on a board and I, or another tutor, would assist them in answering their questions and helping them understand the material better. We also helped students get into habits for solving complex problems on their own. It was an excellent job because I could see the difficult problems come into focus as I helped tutor students.
Pros
flexible scheduling, and lots of personal interaction.
Cons
no benefits and pay wasn't great.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 17, 2016
I learned the most lab techniques. And my lab mates are very helpful. However,It's hard to make a life balance sometimes.
Pros
Good Productivity
Cons
less vocation
A stepping stone to greener pastures!
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 12, 2016
Insufficient Pay!
Bad management.
Employee pays all travel expenses and is reimbursed later. Try doing this when your personal budget is stretched thin by the low pay!
Unprofessional attitude.
Plagiarism in research publications is practiced at USU, or at least by some professors.
Pros
There are many nice people that work at USU. You can learn some marketable skills to use elsewhere!
Cons
Too many to list.
Excellent and stimulating
Project Coordinator, Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTNovember 8, 2012
Lots of variety, travel, contact with stimulating people and events, writing, conferences. Learned about government effects on children, writing skills, program evaluation skills. Project and budget management. Coworkers were bright and typically worked well as a team. Coordinating work requirements with those of a single mother. Constant opportunities to learn new things.
Pros
benefits, wages; see above
Cons
time commitments
Overall Great Place to Work
Coordinator of Programs III (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMarch 9, 2015
Other than being laid off, it was a good place to work. There was a family-like atmosphere, compensation and benefits were competitive, and it was easy to balance work life with home life.
Pros
Family-like atmosphere, variety of work, excellent benefits package
Cons
Laid off due to restructuring
Great place to be a grad student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTDecember 23, 2012
Professors in the instructional technology & learning sciences MS/MEd/PhD program are amazing. They're fun to be with, they go mountain biking with you, and do great research. They are always on your side and fighting to help you get experience, exposure, and make great instruction or do great research. Very supportive, very good resources here. I cannot rate my professors high enough
Pros
decent pay if you're a graduate assistant
Cons
no benefits and little tuition stipends in current economy
This company is a very fast paced, team oriented place to work.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJune 3, 2014
Going to work was just another day with friends. People really got along well and everyone enjoyed working together. It keeps you on your toes because there is constant improvement and updating going on. They keep up with the new technology and the up and coming programs. There is always something to be learned and or something to work on. There is never a dull moment. It also provides really great benefits.
It was good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 28, 2015
It is a very good place to work. The work pressure is very less. All together goals are achieved and benefits are good for overall development.
its a great work environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJune 24, 2016
its a great work environment but you have to live in a small town with very limited facilities! you enjoy the security and suffer from cold long winters
Pros
security
Cons
small town
Stable Environment
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 27, 2015
A Stable organization that is well managed and fun. Plenty of diversity in tasks and responsibilities. Regular hours and good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Growth
Great work environment with no benefits
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 14, 2013
The institution tries to pay you as little as possible and avoids to give benefits to employees at all possible, even if that means cutting your hours. The location is beautiful and most co-workers are good people, but top management does not have a good connection with lower management.
Good while in school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 29, 2015
I worked as a TA and research assistant, so this work was perfect for while I was in school. The research occurred when I didn't have classes and I was able to choose what lab time I wanted to have. This helped greatly. The compensation isn't amazing, but it's not bad either.
Stable place to work
employee (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 3, 2013
I really enjoy the atmosphere and the people. It is a fairly laid back place to work. They do well at training their employees and taking care of the employees work needs. The schedule is usually pretty flexible and the benefits are nice.
Pros
insurance, time off, relaxed environment, beautiful area
Cons
low pay, limited upward growth potential. somewhat bureaucratic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utah State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2