Utah System of Higher Education Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 29, 2017
Utah System of Higher Education is a great company to work for.

I learned a lot from the company in Student Loans.

You learn great phone skills, and you will improve you typing skills, being that you are doing it all day.

The Management is great, they are all very nice, and all worked their way up through the company.

The work is very fast paced, you are doing call after call, and want to be able to type while you are talking and listening on the phones, because time in between calls are very limited.

The hardest part of the job for me was being on the phones, I would rather work with people face to face, and it was really hard for me to type while trying to listen to the customers, because I like to give my full attention.

The part of the job that I loved, was that I got to help a lot of people who really needed it, and I loved the people that I worked with, you are in a team type setting, and the people I worked with were just wonderful.
Pros
Benefits/Pay, location is in a Mall, so it gives plenty of food choices, including Food Trucks.
great people and customers and interesting work
Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 25, 2017
great place to learn - great service and organizational mission - moderate paced work - overbearing management - poor communication between departments - poor pay structure
Pros
co-workers
Cons
upper management very controlling
Growing company with employee centered culture excellent benefits
Mid-management (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 1, 2016
I started in the company in an entry level positon and have been presented with many opportunities for advancement. Great performance is recognized, mediocre performance yields what it deserves. During a downturn in the business, staff were offered an attractive incentive to voluntarily leave rather than forcing employees to involuntarily be terminated. Health benefits are superior, half off tuition at the University of Utah plus an additional tuition reimbursement on top of that, generous holiday and other paid time off, best retirement plan in the State. Experiencing growth over 300 percent since the downturn because of the superior performant of the team working here. Now facing the enviable problem of extreme growth. With that growth will bring even more advancement opportunities as the management team necessarily expands. Any bad feedback by employees is probably due to individual performant rather than the company. Operations management team is supportive, transparent, and focuses not only on superior performance for its customers but on personnel development of its staff. Evidence is its first place ranking with its clients and nationally superior customer resolution rates.
Pros
Benefits, mission oriented, opportunities abound, great culture
Cons
Lack of attention and funding for technological solutions, lack of vision outside of servicing unit
Good health insurance - only
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 29, 2016
Long ago this was a great place to work. Not anymore. There is no job security and very recently forced a ton of people out. They force you to dress up, just so they can give you the free privilege of dressing down as a privilege. Employee appreciation is a free bag of popcorn that they found in a storage unit (true story). For the people in customer service, be prepared to have angry borrowers call you because everything is so broken and people wait for an hour just to get someone on the phone. They move all of their respresentative to the cornerstone portfolio to try and show the federal governmemt that they are on top of things. You need permission to go to the bathroom (true story) and likely at the end of the year will be letting more people go if the government doesn't renew their contract. Their technology is old green screen systems, anyone that was decent left the call center with the last round of layoffs.

Do yourself a favor and find a better job unless You want a below market wage, eating old popcorn, and asking permission to use the bathroom and you might lose your job at the end of the year.
Pros
Good health insurance
Cons
Management, wages, dead end, unstable, horrible executive management
Limited opportunity for advancement, small office
College Access Challenge Grant Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2016
USHE was a good stepping stone for me and helped me further my education. However, if you a struggle with paper-pushing bureaucrats and elitist politics (higher ed), this isn't the place for you long term. It was a huge learning experience for me - and helped me build a skills set that propelled me towards more meaningful opportunities.
Pros
Great State Benefits
Cons
Lacks positive company culture
Fun workplace to work with.
Data Entry Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 30, 2015
Looking forward to go to work everyday. Learning new things. The training was well performed. Schedule is 8-5. I like the location of the job. Working well with people over there.
Pros
work well with people
Cons
schedule
A fund workplace to work
Data Entry Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 23, 2015
I love to work in this place because of new things to learn. It was fun and more challenging and was glad to use my skills and knowledge moving up to a next level. It was another great job to look forward to go to everyday.
Pros
Great people and new things to learn.
Dedicated work force
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 17, 2015
The employees are hard workers and dedicated to their job. Very little room for advancement.
Working for a great mission matters- helping Utahan's achieve growth through education.
ASSOCIATE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ADMINISTRATIVE SVCS (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 26, 2012
Nice place to work. Passionate, respectful people and nice work environment. Located downtown right at the Gateway.
Pros
terrific benefits, working for a great mission matters- helping utahan's achieve growth through education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utah System of Higher Education. Our community is ready to answer.

Utah System of Higher Education Reviews by Location