UTC Aerospace Systems

UTC Aerospace Systems Employee Reviews

Quality has become non-existent
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 10, 2016
Our quality management team has changed leaders within the last couple of years. All they care about is supporting production and moving hardware. They don't care about following procedures, and the quality personnel on the floor have no one on their side. Quality supervisors of technical areas have absolutely no idea what their subordinates do, and have no desire to learn how to support their employees.
Human Resources is terrible. They do not take complaints seriously, unless they are complaints from management. If anyone raises questions and concerns about a member of management who is violating company policy, discipline falls on the employee raising concerns.
If you have any sort of integrity, the Riverside CA facility is not for you.
Pros
Union
Cons
Quality management, culture, favoritism
Potential for career advancement and overall great experience
Contractor/Co-op (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCOctober 11, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of planning and research depending on your role in the company. I interacted with suppliers quite a bit so communication skills are key. I learned a lot about FAA standards and what it is like in the aerospace business. Management is great to work with and my boss has been one of my favorite employers. He helped me both in the workplace and with personal matters with advice in education paths and possible career opportunities. I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers. They were all easy to get along with and it was easy to contact them and get things done. The hardest part of the job is getting things in a timely manner due to some cases having to wait on a supplier's information. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships and experience I gained from working here. I was able to develop as an engineer and as a person. I don't have any information about benefits and things like that due to being an intern/co-op or a contractor.
Don't be a temp
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 9, 2016
I worked there for almost the full two years of my contract and resigned due to feeling I was treated awful. I trained my replacements and then they did the job. I wasn't given any new tasks so I sat there all day with nothing to do. I had so much potential and started working towards my masters degree to move up within the company but nobody cares about that. They care about money and that's it. Management is terrible. Supervisors call in sick when the are hungover, come in hungover and sleep at their desks. It's a terrible place to work. I feel used and disrespected.
Pros
Friendly union workers, great pay
Cons
No benefits, no advancement, untrustworthy management
Productive place to work, job security
Enginering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 23, 2016
Worked at Westinghouse/UTC Hamilton Sundstrand for over 40 years transferred from Lima, OH to Rockford, IL. Could not have been at a better place of employment, people, management, and overall atmosphere was inviting everyday. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and talking to all cultures of people on a daily basis. Hardest part was leaving after so many years, loved my job.
Pros
Worked over 40 years, never laidoff. 401k, excellent benefits
Cons
Busy, busy busy, not a bad thing, made the days go by fast
Productive, results oriented
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 12, 2016
Excelent Company with great benefits and fair compensation
Opportunity for advancement with fair reviews and ability to grow based on results
Teamwork environment with recognition for both team and individual performance
Pros
Great benefits, performance based
Stability
Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  FairfieldJanuary 3, 2017
UTC has a lot to offer as a company for growth and job security, highly focused on quality of the product that is produces here at this site.
Pros
Security
Cons
Management moves very slow
Great place for retirement!
Calibrator/ Assembler (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 13, 2016
This is a good entry level position and also a good place to retire from. Great benefits, if taken advantage of, lots of overtime hours available which makes work/life balance difficult. Climate controlled environment makes for a great summer.
Pros
lots of overtime, benefits available
Cons
lots of time away from home, not very helpful or insightful about available benefits.
Good
Operations Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2016
The company offers opportunity for advancement and has an excellent school benefits package. Good place to work and gain valuable business experience.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Poor Location
good place to work but expected to work long hours
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNAugust 25, 2016
never knew what to expect when going in each day. Some days covered up some days waiting on parts. Last days of the month were very hectic getting parts shipped on time.Most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with on a daily basis
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
I would never recommend a job at UTC to anyone
Sr. Embedded Computer Engineer (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJ now Danbury, CTMay 18, 2016
No job work / life balance (got paid for 40 and expected to work 60-70 hours per week).
Benefits are expensive to employees and were not up to industry standards.
Always worried that the facility would close down, it did and I managed a job in CT.
Top heavy management. Managers are clueless as to the work required to do anything. Their eyes glaze over at the first mention of anything technical. Management not technically competent.
Small facility made for a good work environment among peers.
Pros
Salary ok. Peer work environment was good.
Cons
Bad Management, No life/work balance (70 hr weeks expected)
Poor management
Aerospace Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 3, 2016
Management consistently implementing poor decision making in regard to LEAN systems and 5 S culture. End result is inefficiency and time loss in production. Management also promotes a negative counter productive employee too employee work environment sub culture.
Not the Best place to work.
Teamleader (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 21, 2016
The work is easy, and repetitive. I learned not to trust management and not to take more responsibility than the title request. Management was not fair, too much favoritism, lots of family members are hired. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job for me was presenting information to management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the employees.
Pros
good pay, easy work, benfits are okay, 401
Cons
Union shop, management, favoritism. 6
Good Company
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  rockford, ilOctober 25, 2016
Good company, good benefits, great employee scholar program for education reimbursement
excellent location, great talent development, health focus with onsite gym
Nice place to work
Internado Ocupacional (120 horas) (Former Employee) –  Santa Isabel, PROctober 26, 2016
A typical day at work is always getting those boards to start working on them patiently. I learned only from the SPECTRUM area. Management was excellent. Co workers were fun to work with. The hardest park of the job were the 30 minute breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co workers.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
short breaks
Bad Company to Work For
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJuly 1, 2016
Was a great place to work when the company was owned by Goodrich, once UTC purchased the company the business went down, the employees were treated like just a another number.

The company spent money on unneeded improvements that I am sure the shareholders would not have agree to if they knew how much material was trashed as being not needed and then purchased again when it was figured out we really needed the material that had been trashed, I know for a fact the waste amounted to 800k and counting.

This money should have gone to the shareholders and employee gain share payment. Some people in management should have lost there jobs because of this poor judgement in spending.

I would not recommend this company for employment.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Too many to list
No Home Life Once Hired
QA (Former Employee) –  Union, WVDecember 29, 2016
Although you get a better pay for this area, you must be willing to give up your home and family life, because the company doesn't care about it's employees, and works way too much over time. The company is poorly managed, the supervisors are unable to do their jobs because of the poor management, which in turn, makes it harder on the union employees to do theirs.
Great people
Director, Global Offsets (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 15, 2016
Great products and a vast customer base made for a lot of pride in the job. Coworkers were wonderful people, very driven and intelligent.

I was not a fan of ACE as I have been exposed to simpler and more effective improvement models such as lean and six sigma.
Pros
Great products
Cons
ACE (Achieve Competitive Excellence) is unwieldy and should be scrapped.
Productive, fun, intense, great people, intergrity
PRODUCTION ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMarch 7, 2016
Work environment was great along with the people. Support for achieving daily and weekly goals was very positive. Management was very encouraging to make for productive days. Worked with a wide variety tools from low tech hand held to very high tech computer controlled measuring devices.
Pros
Great benefits, great opportunity for advancement, education opportunities
Cons
Short lunches
Big Company with some good and back things.
Electrical Systems Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTNovember 30, 2016
Big Company with some good and back things. It can always benefit from reduced management. It has grown too large to be efficient.
very fast pace place to work
Wire Harness Assembler (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALDecember 19, 2016
UTC offers pretty good benefits, as well as pay.
They also offer a lot of over time.
they do not however care about your family or personal life, as they always want you there.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
lunch is terrible, breaks are too short for amount of time you actually work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UTC Aerospace Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

UTC Aerospace Systems Reviews by Location