Utilimap Corporation Employee Reviews

Productive, great management
Field Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 30, 2017
You get paid based on how much quality work you complete in each 10 hour day. The Managers and Foreman always make sure you have what you need to be successful. If you have any problems they are never to far away for questions or supplies.
Pros
Work at your pace, Nobody over your shoulder.
Cons
Work gets rough depending on location
Its a great company
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 7, 2017
The pay and benefits are awesome! just have too have a strong work etic. The management is pretty good. the job is pretty lenity. there always willing too help you solve a problem
Good people that do equally work
Laborer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 6, 2017
I'm not sour if I'm what to put here I'll just said I'm a hard work I've been working since I was 11 on my step bass farm getting up at 5 am aver morning before school to milk 30 head of goats to training 15 head of camels a winter and aver school summer I was wicking in zoo for 70 hours a week didn't start getting payed tell I was 16 I hope I bib typ all in the
Pros
I get 70+ hours a week
Cons
I work to hard for 13 a hour away from home
hire cheap and train up
Consulting Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2017
Don't expect to be paid well by a company that typically charges more for their services than any other. They are not technology driven. They have 2 IT departments and neither are in tune or have the same policies, so expect getting a PC with more than solitaire is a stretch. Management is slow to react and stubborn.
Everything to do with powerlines
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 19, 2017
Field work is at the mercy of the elements. Summer heat and winters cold with rain and wind. Being your own boss when out on your own. The office is polite and controlled comforts of the indoors.
Pros
Making your own hours
Cons
Being relocated, travel, living in a hotel thru the week
decent place
GIS Specialist / QC Lead (Former Employee) –  Kansas City and St. Louis MOApril 9, 2017
Strong work ethic and drive are a must, but the benefits are fairly competitive. Great place to start your career, and gain great experience in the utility industry.
hard working job
Measure Tech (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2017
good money at this job but you have to get your hand dirty and put a lot of time into this job. if you don't mind work long hours everyday and looking at a big pay check at the end then this is for you.
Friendly place to work, No job security
Junior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2017
For the Pole Load Analysis work group, they are flexible with your time so long as they aren't on crunch time or coming close to a deadline. If a deadline is coming, expect that you will be held accountable for every single minute that you put in. They keep track of your time down to the minute during crunch time.

Training is lousy, but if you catch on quickly, it doesn't go unnoticed. The issue is professionalism. Not many people here have it. Management is hit and miss, and there are some serious cases of favoritism going on. Several people working here are family members.

There is little to no advancement available.

Nearly everyone is friendly, but there are always exceptions to be had.

Job security doesn't exist. If they have a lot of contracts, they hire a lot of people. When they run low on work, expect waves of layoffs. They tell you that work is seasonal in this way as well, which is somewhat true. Due to the outdoor nature of what you are analyzing, work slows down during the winter. But they have contracts in Southern states too, so.... (I would guess that they actually suck at bidding on jobs, but I wouldn't know)
Pros
Flexible Time, Casual Office, Decent benefits
Cons
Seasonal nature of work, Low Job stability.
Just Stay Away
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 31, 2016
Pros
401K match. Because the workload is small, they don't expect a lot out of you work wise.
Cons
ZERO work life balance. They give minimal PTO (none for your first year). You're expected to use your PTO for sick time, bereavement, jury duty, vacation, etc. Favoritism is definitely a problem here (if you know someone or get to be friends with your boss, you're set). Minimal advancement opportunities. Lack of respect among employees leads to a hostile environment. They are overstaffed for the amount of work they have, so it's not uncommon to see people sitting around on their phones or talking. They don't pay you according to market and give minimal raises. They don't respect you or your time.

Advice to Management
Management needs to be held accountable for their actions that affect the entire company. It shouldn't be acceptable to point fingers the other direction when something goes wrong.They also need to be on the same page when implementing policies, not giving conflicting messages. Respect goes a long way with employees and it has to start from the top.

Still a very young company with a lot of growing and learning to do. Bottom line: Stay far away from this company.
Pros
401K Match
Cons
Bad management, bad work environment, minimal vacation, bad pay
Good Company
Groundline Laborer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 29, 2015
Safe work environment. Staff and employees are great people to work with. great company to work for. Good Benefits and a competitive salary. if anyone is seeking employment in this industry great company to work
Pros
job culture, safe enviornment, benefits
Cons
salary

Want to know more about Utilimap Corporation?

Ask a question
Great People
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MoAugust 8, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was finishing a request and getting feedback. This gave me satisfaction and helped me know what I could do better.
Management was terrific, very nice people
Power line inspector (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, DEJanuary 24, 2015
I will never work here again. bad place to work. The management was the worst.
Pros
Cons
pay, hours, management, coworkers
A great hands on job in the field of power and distribution systems.
Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MONovember 13, 2014
As a power line safety inspector you would arrive every Monday to the main office for brief weekly updates then head out to work locations were ever your are at the time. You are expected to check 360 power lines a week and should be in the field by 8 am every work day. I learned the power system for starters and then you learn a lot of while traveling through out the state of MO or IL 80% of the year. You typically work with a one to two man crew or by your self sometimes. The hardest part of the job would be the weather conditions or depending on your location loss of signal which is vital to your work. The traveling would be something to enjoy on this job and another great things is after you check 360 power lines which depends on the worker could take you 3 days or 5 days but when your done you could go home for the rest of the week or keep working and every pole after 360 was extra pay for each power line so most workers would try to get like 450 to 500 a week for extra money.
Pros
free gas and hotels, get to travel with company truck
Cons
pay your own meals and pay could be better
Excellent, helpful Management
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 11, 2014
At Utilimap, my job was to virtually build existing power poles in a given city, based on heights and angles using Utilimap's software system. I learned very quickly how to use this software, and was exceeding expectations in no time. After the data had been uploaded, I analyzed each pole making sure that there were no clearance or safety violations. I then created a proposal with any changes that needed to be made to the existing pole, including where I wanted them to install the Google Fiber. I collaborated with other data analysts to be sure we were consistent within maps, and also worked closely with quality control to be sure the work I was doing was correct. Management was incredibly helpful, and willing to give constructive criticism and accolades wherever needed. My co-workers were amazing and like-minded individuals that made coming to work very easy. The most challenging part of my job was organizing my work to ensure first-in, first-out, but I adapted quickly. The most enjoyable part of my job was the job itself, really. I thoroughly enjoyed the work, and was always learning something new. Even though I felt I was underpaid, I really enjoyed working there and felt that was reason enough to commit to the job.
Pros
Visable, helpful managment and a flexible schedule
Cons
When Google floundered on their end of the bargain, several employees were let go. Grossly underpaid for the work load, and all you were required to learn.
work day
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 8, 2014
a typical work day is 10 hours. I receive a map and inspect every utility pole on that map. its helped me further my knowledge in the energy field along with my schooling. hardest part of the job would be making sure you identify any sort of problem with a pole or its equipment to make sure it is safe for the public and lineman. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that I get to work outside.
This place sucks.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  St. LouisMay 16, 2014
I worked there for almost a year when it first began it was a horrible job. Never expect to move up and always be ready to be thrown in the garbage the second they get caught up on there maps. The managers are incompetent and have zero idea on what there doing. Zero stars for being stupid!!!!
Very nice people, no advancement opportunities, very disorganized, and zero employee appreciation
GIS Technician II (Former Employee) –  St Louis, MOJanuary 30, 2014
I worked with the company for just under 2 years, started out very excited about the prospect of actually helping the GIS/IT department change some things, hopefully institute new and improved methods. After a few months I realized that was completely out of the question and the way we did things was pretty inefficient and management didn't seem to care.

The management shares no information, whether it be with other managers/supervisors or even the relevant employees so I always felt completely in the dark about any changes to policy, or even to day-to-day work flow.

There is some incredibly unprofessional behavior with some of the staff that it just accepted by management, however if you haven't been there as long as these people, you can be written up for relatively minor things.

That said, other than a few very unnecessary rules (there are permitted break times, and you shouldn't be taking any breaks outside of those times, and now you can't even leave the property during those times) it was a decent place to work. Decent salary and benefits. Just don't expect to get a job here and advance your career in any way, for me it was a complete standstill for almost 2 years while I tried to find another job.
Pros
Nice people, decent pay
Cons
Disorganized, Unprofessional, unnecessary rules and regulations, horrible communication, no advancement opportunities
traveling
Power Pole Inspector Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 12, 2014
A typical day of work is to excavate and analyze each pole to know either they are good or bad. I've learned how to manage a small crew and how to use a tough book to enter in data and additional services that has been done to the pole. The management is depended on the person cause most of them are sub-contractors. the hardest part of the job is to be away from your loved ones long periods of time. The enjoyable part of the job is to travel the country and see different states and meeting different people.
bad company, never move up
pole inspector (Former Employee) –  st. louis. moOctober 2, 2013
This company won't tell you your last day on a project until the last couple of hours your working then expect you to get up and move. I had one manger that was the best manger I've ever had, that was Adam. But the mangers back in the office in St. Louis don't care about anything besides them selves and trying to get themselves promoted. You will never move up. I pretty much got demoted even though I was the top inspector on the project before. I would never recommend this company again unless your on a project with Adam.
Pros
vechile to drive, great boss adam
Cons
low pay, bad boss, contract work, cheap hotels, walk through jungles
Not the job for me.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 20, 2013
This may seem like an easy going job on the surface, but deep down, it's a job with pretty brutal standards and tasks to perform. There are maps that you will do that will have straight aways that have poles right at the roadside which is the easy stuff. However, there are also many maps that you will do where you are going through cornfields, soy fields, cattle fields, backyards, and deep woods all by yourself with no one to help you if you're injured. There are poles that are in deep grass and thick thorn bushes that you have to cut through with only a machete and a pair of clippers. It will sometimes take 20 minutes to get to one pole, but yet, you're expected to do 75 poles a day. Impossible standards, mixed with terrible management who don't care about their workers and travel that will have you leaving your family behind for weeks and sometimes months at a time, will tell you all about this job. Mandated 10 hour days 5 days a week. Weekends are free (which is nice), unless it rains, or you call off, and instead of just being docked the pay, you have to lose your Saturday.
Pros
Company vehicle, gas card, cell phone, paid hotel rooms
Cons
Management that doesn't care, lack of resources