Utz Quality Foods, Inc Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Packer
Packer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAAugust 8, 2016
Great place to work one big happy family Chips are great to Lot of standing. Management helps out if needed. Two shifts noweekendsunless its a holiday on its way
Pros
Chips for lunch
Cons
Can take chips home
Do Not work for this company
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  NCMarch 4, 2016
One of the worst job in route sales I ever had. All the care about is a person on the truck. Long hours for little pay. Commission based but you have to load your own truck at end of day which you don't get paid for.
District Managers more worried about reports say then there employees. Always hearing you are replaceable. If they don't like you they will replace you.
Is commission but commission is a joke.
Pros
can take work truck home and free chips
Cons
they don't care, long hours, little pay
A physically taxing and very hard work place
Machine Operator and Utility (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MANovember 24, 2015
In a typical day one must be in a constant state of motion for 10+ hours at a time. A machine operator must keep the machines working and be able to fix problems quickly.
Cons
Short Breaks and Long Hours
4th Generation Family Owned Comany. Fast growing, Job security
National Accounts Field Director (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PASeptember 1, 2015
Many great memories. Long hours and hard work. Great product line. Over the past 5 years, many executives brought into company who have no idea how Utz got to be the great company that it is. Forgetting about personal relationships with customers and ignoring the needs of the DSD Salesforce. Some of these Upper Management Execs have already been left go. Still many remain.
Pros
Great Product Line, Many dedicated people in Field sales
Cons
Trying to become a National Supplier at all costs, Distributors, IOs
Worst job I've ever had...
route salesman (Former Employee) –  Depford, Marmora NJApril 17, 2015
first thing I was lied to about how much money i could make. One out of ten routes make decent money, the rest work 60 to 65 hours a week for about $350 after taxes.

Route supervisors are worthless middlemen who don't help you,they just tell you what needs to be done and then go for coffee.

Upper management is clueless until your on their bad list.

The only things that were positive for me were the other drivers and the warehouse guys.

I would not recommend this company to anyone who can count hours vs. money.
They say "well it's not an hourly job" but when you calculate the hours you've worked for the week and see your check be ready to be sad.

They give you your vacation check in the beginning of March and then expect you to be able to hold on to the week pay until you want to take your vacation. And when you do you don't get paid for the week your off. The supervisor that does cover your route when your off either does nothing and brags about how little they did, or plows your store so when you come back you can't make money till you work thru what they've put in.

The sales meetings are pointless.

I liked it for about a month and then realized its pretty much a pyramid scheme.
Pros
the other drivers, warehouse guys, free chips.
Cons
everything else under the sun.
don't work here
rsr (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, paFebruary 25, 2015
Worst place I have ever worked. You will be told a bunch of lies about you will only be in training (jumper) for a short period of time. And that you will be getting a route that pays you 800+ a week. I was told those same lies. I got screwed over twice for routes I was told I was going to get and never did. In the end I got assigned a route that was no better than jumper pay which is 10/hr and and no more than 45/hrs a week. This job is good if you have no debt, live by yourself, or live at home.
Pros
easy job to learn, meet new people
Cons
pay, honesty of regional managers
Poor RSM who "brown-nosed" his way to position
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  VaFebruary 12, 2015
Days were typical in this field of work. Finally got fed up with all the hypocrisy that DMs, RSM & upper management were about. Salesmen were ALWAYS at fault. RSM is a habitual liar. No one in management would take responsibility for their OWN actions. Blame was laid entirely on the route salesmen. All the salesmen were great to work with. Different regions may be better than others.
Pros
working on your own
Cons
poor management level personnel
Terrible Supervision !!
Inside scoop (Former Employee) –  Laurel, DelawareJanuary 22, 2015
You'll have no life because you will be working 60 hrs or more with out more pay..holidays you will be off but you work on your regular schedule day off . so you really don't get holiday pay..trucks are terrible in bad weather and they will expect you to drive in bad conditions. .they will have a fit if you call out sick. .terrible place to work ...think twice before you take a job there !!!
Cons
everything
Factory environment, but they do their best to keep the mood positive and employees motivated.
Operator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAJanuary 20, 2015
A typical day consisted of filling orders. Taking product to the warehouse. Lots of hard, physical labor, but satisfying at the same time.
Pros
great co-workers and management.
Cons
if you don't have the drive to work hard, don't work here.
warehouse/route
Warehouse Worker/Route Sales Swingman (Former Employee) –  central, VASeptember 12, 2014
Don't waste your time.You only can get 40hrs a week with a max10hrs overtime weekly. Pay is horrible if you work more the 50hrs a week it carries over. Not as over time hours just regular hrs. Communication horrible with supervisor.You do others work and don't get credit for it.
Cons
everything
Blah
RSR (Former Employee) –  Wooten, MaAugust 2, 2014
No life working here, pay is horrible. Work 60+ hours a week and get the same pay. It's sad and pathetic.
Cons
everything
Enjoyable summer job for college student
Warehouse Person (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAMay 21, 2014
Worked at own pace, but had to meet daily product demands. Communicated with route salesmen and other warehouse persons to meet daily and weekly demands.
Decent place for decent pay.
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJDecember 5, 2013
A typical day of work at Utz is you go out and service your daily schedule to stores. Everyday I would talk to the grocery managers, other vendors and help customers. I learned how to work in an industry that I didnt think was stressful. You have to be patient, and pace yourself. I also learned that you are relying on the customers to put money in your pocket. Overall my co-workers were awesome. Couldnt ask for a better bunch of guys. The hardest part of the job was the balance between family life and work. I was getting up at 2am, getting home at 2-230pm. I would be in bed around 830. Its very difficult to be around your family. The best part of the job was I would be on my own. I didnt have someone breathing down my neck. Also meeting new people was fun for me.
Stressful workplace
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 24, 2012
Management was two sided and would set us managers up to do their dirty work because they did not want to do it themselves, then say they had nothing to do with it. They were all involved in drugs, including the RM, and I couldnt wait to get out of there. Very un professional to say the least. They worked us 7 days a week and we were on call 24/7 to have to fill in for irresponsible people that would not show up for their job
Pros
company car
Cons
too many to mention