UW-MADISON Employee Reviews

Student supervisor
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 18, 2017
I enjoyed working here for the most part. Got pretty repetitive and old fairly quick. On the plus side I would say i learned alot but hated my manager.
Good experience for a college job
Researcher (Former Employee) –  WIAugust 25, 2017
I worked as a researcher assistant to a professor in my department. My professor was supportive and helpful, and it was an interesting topic to research.
Fast paced, fun, high quality kitchen and food
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 10, 2017
I enjoyed my time working in the Rathskeller at the newly remodeled Memorial Union. The kitchen is modern and well designed. The only issue is that this was an LTE position.
Grader at school
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 8, 2017
Nothing special. I worked with the instructor of the course ECE 548 and graded homework. It is straightforward. I took this course and got A so it is easy for me to grade homework.
Great place to work!
Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 5, 2017
Working for UW-Madison as a student in IT was a great experience! Good pay, great workplace culture, and you learn a lot about software and hardware troubleshooting.
Harsh winter
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 31, 2017
UW-Madison has a beautiful campus, but you can't enjoy it during the winter because it's super cold outside and it lasts for 6 months. The life here is kinda boring unless you like to drink beer and have parties all over the weekend.
Hard Working, Too Many Students
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI, USAApril 25, 2017
Mixture of Students with Diverse Backgrounds and Various Levels

Most of Chinese and Some of European Students among the Smartest with Excellent Achievement and Decent English Proficiency

Too Much Load for Lectures (2+2); Hard to Expect TA's Proper Assistance as Instructor (TA's Duties Also Quite Heavy)

No Time for Any Types of Leisure or Social

Small & Quiet City

Quite Cold and Snowy in Winter

Healthy & Organic Food

Cheese, Pizza & Beer Good
Pros
Relatively Cheap Living Cost
Cons
A Little Aloof from Other Major Cities
Working in research at Madison is an inspiring and low stress learning opportunity.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 10, 2017
I really liked the work environment and the freedom to choose research topics to study. I liked going to work on campus and the hours were set around my class schedule giving me a little break for lunch for which I was thankful.
Pros
Free candy! For credit
Fun work environment with flexible hours
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 4, 2017
Working with the PEOPLE Program through UW-Madison was a really great experience. I got hands on experience and I enjoyed working with the people there. Everyone was very flexible and understanding when it came to scheduling around academic commitments.
Great Place to Work
Customer Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 18, 2016
Awesome work experience to learn many things and work with many coworkers that want you to excel not only professionally but also in your education.

This is an amazing place to work.
Detail oriented, able to multi-task, fun to work with, able to work along side people from around the world
Library Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 3, 2016
I have a bad back but can lift 25 pounds, not repeated for 8-hours but as needed. If a job required a lot of lifting I would have to wear my back brace. I need to be able to change my physical location and job on a regular basis. Although I recently helped a fiend move and that required just that job but it was for two days of 3 consecutive weekends, not every day of week after week. I cannot stand or sit for 8 hours at a time but can move from one task to another for a full 8-hour shift. At one job I had to keep running over a dozen, different, old copiers.

I am a cheerful, can-do person who in my off work time taught myself, using books form the library, how to do rough and fine carpentry and electrical work. I am good with my hands. At College Library I had the opportunity to work with people from many different countries and found that one of the most satisfying parts of the job.

The best part of working at College Library was that I didn't have to do the same thing for a full 8-hour shift. I will be able to do that for a seasonal job.

I am used to being pretty much my own boss but can work with close supervision if the job requires that.
Pros
ability to move about during my work day
Cons
the need to stand or sit in one place for the full work day
Student Employee
Student Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53706June 29, 2016
Compensation was fair for the jobs done and experience necessary for employment. Skills acquired were useful for both future jobs and future repairs. flexible hours.
What a wreck this place has become
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 26, 2016
I started my education and work here in the mid 90's and it was a beautiful, vibrant, and exciting scientific center to be at. Top scientists and faculty, and a navigable admin. Fast forward 20 years and you have a top heavy university with 3 administrators for every scientist. The close knit science community has been divided by a huge expanse of west campus. There is very low morale, and raises are non-existent more as a result of the incompetent administration and less on budget cuts. Get a job in admin, get a great salary, and be set for life. Work in science, live paycheck to paycheck indefinitely. A sad end to a once great university. What is worse is that high paid administrative employees get degrees from lower schools, but are paid more, and those with education from UW-madison are paid half as much. Ridiculous inequity. Financial problems, dwindling benefits. And enjoy paying 1k/year to park 3-4 blocks from work.
Pros
Ample vacation for academic staff
Cons
everything else
Enjoyable place for work and research
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 21, 2016
We regularly start working around 8:30 am in the lab with focus on targets for potato breeding for scab resistance, calcium accumulation, and also some other related science work. They have a good system and plan over the year to work on. The co-worker are very active, nice and helpful. Field work is hardest part, as we should design and work in field with low labor hands in 90 mile-far research stations from 6:30 am to 7:00 pm. The good part that you can find any needed facility around you to use and work.
Pros
Uncountable.
Cons
Na
Very nice professors to work with, innovative.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 10, 2016
Post pre-class video and quiz;
Prepare in-class activities and answer students' questions during class;
Lead flipped class discussion; graded homework;
Lead lab sections; created and graded quiz and lab reports.
Great work environment for busy students
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 20, 2015
As a full time student, working at UW-Madison was flexible and convenient. Work schedules are structured around course schedules, and most managers I've worked with were helpful in providing resources for students during midterms and finals season, including a change in weekly hours and times.
Fun work environment with minimal stress
Student Tester and Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 30, 2015
All in all it was great working there for the five years I was in school. I have no complaints about anything. I learned how to work as part of a team to accomplish our goals. The management for the most part was excellent and most of the co-workers were friendly and focused on the tasks at hand.
typical academic setting
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 7, 2015
UW Madison is a ti[ical academic setting university. The people are very friendly. There is no affordable parking, however there is good public transportation that takes you to the university
Great Experience
UW Club Baseball (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 21, 2015
Playing with the UW Club Baseball team was a great experience. I would say most, if not all of my best friends from school came from playing on the club team.
Excellent experience
IE Research Consultant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 3, 2013
Extraordinary Professors
Nice co-workers,
Core industrial engineering consulting projects is excellent way to learn and get hands on experience