UW-MADISON Employee Reviews

Fun work environment with flexible hours
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 4, 2017
Working with the PEOPLE Program through UW-Madison was a really great experience. I got hands on experience and I enjoyed working with the people there. Everyone was very flexible and understanding when it came to scheduling around academic commitments.
Great Place to Work
Customer Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 18, 2016
Awesome work experience to learn many things and work with many coworkers that want you to excel not only professionally but also in your education.

This is an amazing place to work.
Detail oriented, able to multi-task, fun to work with, able to work along side people from around the world
Library Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 3, 2016
I have a bad back but can lift 25 pounds, not repeated for 8-hours but as needed. If a job required a lot of lifting I would have to wear my back brace. I need to be able to change my physical location and job on a regular basis. Although I recently helped a fiend move and that required just that job but it was for two days of 3 consecutive weekends, not every day of week after week. I cannot stand or sit for 8 hours at a time but can move from one task to another for a full 8-hour shift. At one job I had to keep running over a dozen, different, old copiers.

I am a cheerful, can-do person who in my off work time taught myself, using books form the library, how to do rough and fine carpentry and electrical work. I am good with my hands. At College Library I had the opportunity to work with people from many different countries and found that one of the most satisfying parts of the job.

The best part of working at College Library was that I didn't have to do the same thing for a full 8-hour shift. I will be able to do that for a seasonal job.

I am used to being pretty much my own boss but can work with close supervision if the job requires that.
Pros
ability to move about during my work day
Cons
the need to stand or sit in one place for the full work day
Student Employee
Student Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53706June 29, 2016
Compensation was fair for the jobs done and experience necessary for employment. Skills acquired were useful for both future jobs and future repairs. flexible hours.
What a wreck this place has become
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 26, 2016
I started my education and work here in the mid 90's and it was a beautiful, vibrant, and exciting scientific center to be at. Top scientists and faculty, and a navigable admin. Fast forward 20 years and you have a top heavy university with 3 administrators for every scientist. The close knit science community has been divided by a huge expanse of west campus. There is very low morale, and raises are non-existent more as a result of the incompetent administration and less on budget cuts. Get a job in admin, get a great salary, and be set for life. Work in science, live paycheck to paycheck indefinitely. A sad end to a once great university. What is worse is that high paid administrative employees get degrees from lower schools, but are paid more, and those with education from UW-madison are paid half as much. Ridiculous inequity. Financial problems, dwindling benefits. And enjoy paying 1k/year to park 3-4 blocks from work.
Pros
Ample vacation for academic staff
Cons
everything else
Enjoyable place for work and research
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 21, 2016
We regularly start working around 8:30 am in the lab with focus on targets for potato breeding for scab resistance, calcium accumulation, and also some other related science work. They have a good system and plan over the year to work on. The co-worker are very active, nice and helpful. Field work is hardest part, as we should design and work in field with low labor hands in 90 mile-far research stations from 6:30 am to 7:00 pm. The good part that you can find any needed facility around you to use and work.
Pros
Uncountable.
Cons
NA
Very nice professors to work with, innovative.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 10, 2016
Post pre-class video and quiz;
Prepare in-class activities and answer students' questions during class;
Lead flipped class discussion; graded homework;
Lead lab sections; created and graded quiz and lab reports.
Great work environment for busy students
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 20, 2015
As a full time student, working at UW-Madison was flexible and convenient. Work schedules are structured around course schedules, and most managers I've worked with were helpful in providing resources for students during midterms and finals season, including a change in weekly hours and times.
Fun work environment with minimal stress
Student Tester and Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 30, 2015
All in all it was great working there for the five years I was in school. I have no complaints about anything. I learned how to work as part of a team to accomplish our goals. The management for the most part was excellent and most of the co-workers were friendly and focused on the tasks at hand.
typical academic setting
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 7, 2015
UW Madison is a ti[ical academic setting university. The people are very friendly. There is no affordable parking, however there is good public transportation that takes you to the university

Want to know more about UW-MADISON?

Ask a question
Great Experience
UW Club Baseball (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 21, 2015
Playing with the UW Club Baseball team was a great experience. I would say most, if not all of my best friends from school came from playing on the club team.
IE Research Consultant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 3, 2013
Extraordinary Professors
Nice co-workers,
Core industrial engineering consulting projects is excellent way to learn and get hands on experience
IE Research Consultant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 3, 2013
Excellent experience
Nice co-workers, core mechanical and industrial engineering
Consulting projects is excellent way to learn
Like any other university
Associate Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 9, 2013
There is nothing special about the UW you can't get at any other university.
Worked in housing food, union convenience store and coffee shop
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 4, 2013
Overall, coffee shop was the most enjoyable environment and most convenient with a college student's schedule
Great place to work for middle-mangement and up
IS Computer Support Technician Senior (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 23, 2013
This is not the place to work if you don't plan to stay there 30 years. Pay is mediocre, especially given the high cost of living in the city. I spent 8 years as a houly, temp, and limited term employee with low pay and no benefits until I begrudgingly received a full-time permanent position, only because the law limits the term you can spend as a temporary employee. I did not patronize my boss, and this was a mistake. Just like the students, if you want to excel or even just survive, the professors and princely admins on Bascom Hill are always right and can do no wrong.
Cons
long hours, no opportunity for advancement, no training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UW-MADISON. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2