UW Health Employee Reviews

Manager horrible
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 19, 2017
Clinic manager is horrible. Doesn't communicate well, doesn't answer emails and has a very tightly wound temper. Should not be in the role. Staff was not included in the 6 month probation review to express our opinions.
Cons
No time to take lunch breaks or even bathrooms breaks
Learned alot
Scanning Clerk Health Information (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 1, 2017
I learned a lot at first but I found once I had the job down there was no place for me to go from there so I found myself not challenged enough and bored. However, the company is a great company to work for with excellent benefits.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Not challenging enough
CMA (Former Employee) –  Portage, WIMarch 15, 2017
This was my first job right out College as a CMA, I enjoyed working here and learning at this clinic. I only left because The family practice provider I worked for was leaving this clinic practice.
Learning experience
Medical Coding Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2017
I learned a lot during my apprenticeship with The UW. I went into this program right after I graduated from my medical coding program. I learned that maybe medical coding was not what I wanted to do and chose to lean the other way in the medical field and doing insurance billing. I am thankful for that learning experience.
Not a good company to work for
Medicaid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 28, 2017
Working for this company was by far the worst experience. The training was awful. In the few months I was there I had very little training and they turned that around on me, and fired me for not being as productive as we should have been. Made up lies on my termination documents. Went to HR and because I was short on my probationary time I wasn't eligible for an appeal. Took it to the VP and he didn't care either. He couldn't he contact me back himself, HR did it on his behalf. Very unprofessional department.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 22, 2017
Great organization to be associated with. Not only do I trust this organization with my families well being but it is a place that you can be proud to work.
Fun place to work
Medical Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middleton,WIFebruary 10, 2017
Very micro-management! The benefits were excellent, training was horrible being trained by 3 different people who all had different training techniques. Human Resource was horrible, would not listen to my side of story, neither with VP and other head honcho's. I even had several emails that were rude from one particular team leader that was training me, and still got ignored.
Pros
Flexability in making up time, benefits were great.
Cons
Micro-managing supervisor, who worked from home and wouldn't see her for week at a time.
Fast paced and Challenging but at the end of the day you make a difference
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN FLOAT (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 17, 2016
The mornings tend to be busier than the afternoons, depending on location. Most of the coworkers tend to be very knowledgeable and willing to help. Management leaves something to be wanted as they are hard to get a hold of and not very responsive to emails.
I was a float so traveled to about 37 different clinics, sometimes not knowing where I was going till just before leaving my home.
Float Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WI 53562December 17, 2016
The most typical day consisted of arriving at assigned clinic and introducing self to staff, Trying to learn how things were done at each clinic and where supplies, physicians rooms and nurses stations were. Would generally check schedule and set up the room according to reason for visit, Then would take patients to rooms as appointment times neared, would get brief medical history,weight, current reason for seeing physician, would get vital signs, check what current medications patient was on, and chart while they were talking to me. Then would let physician know patient was ready for them. Sometimes would do EKG's or Pulmonary breathing test per Physician's orders. Would assist physician with some procedures or just be s witness in the room during physical examination. Would do prescription refills, triage occasionally, set appointments for return visit, Set up any testing needed with other physicians or techs...Order blood tests or other therapies for patient per physicians orders. Clean and reset rooms Do any necessary charting and cleaning at the end of the day.
I learned that each clinic I floated to was way different from the others, and that some people expect you to just know, The actual float nurse management I felt was not a very good advocate for their staff and didn't seem very helpful with issues.
My co-workers changed often daily and unless I regularly was scheduled in a particular clinic, I didn't really get to know them or they get to know me. This was also probably the hardest part of my job because some of them just did not seem friendly or helpful
  more... and resented my high energy level.
The most enjoyable part of my job was probably meeting some really nice patients and fellow nurses on occasion.
Pros
Being a float gave me opportunity to see and enjoy different areas of Madison, and around that area of the state .
Cons
Having to get up so early to drive to work, not knowing where I was going and allowing time for getting lost, which didn't happen to often.
Lot of changes
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIDecember 17, 2016
A typical workday is not any different than other places in similar roles.

Co-workers: A few are okay and can be nice to work with.

There are issues just like in other health systems.
Pros
Location, Not a lot of stress
Cons
Not very innovative or easy to get things done.
Love it here
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 9, 2016
I have been at UW Health for under a year and love it here. Everyone on my team has been incredibly welcoming and helpful. It feels like I learn something new everyday. I would recommend working at UW Health.
Pros
Company culture
Mail Room / Hospital Supply
Mail room Clerk Obj (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 30, 2016
Good Hospital for med. treatment.,
Sort USPS mail when it would come in from the Post Office, letters, magazines, packages,et.
Put the correct postage on all the out going if need be.
Bar code different Patient units , Download bar code readers to get pick lists, Pick supplies for patient units, deliverer the supllys to the units.
Answer phone call orders,
Wait on walk up Customers.
Over the years I've learn a lot of stuff to become a senior at what I do ever more than management knows.
The coworkers are great because if you get behind they will help you get done picking.
Management likes to micro manage to much some times.
I liked seeing all my co-workers the next morning hearing what went on after we all got out work for the day.
Pros
The friends you make.
Cons
The micro management
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 8, 2016
UW Medical foundation is a great place to work. I have been there since 2012 and still Love it. Management where i work really cares about work/life balance and is always there if you have questions. I work in a family medicine clinic so it is a wide range of ages with different concerns coming in on a daily basis and great experience of all different sorts of things.
Great enviroment
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 6, 2016
I love the flexible schedules, employee learning and development opportunities, culture of research and teaching, specialty nationally renowned doctors. Also the health benefits are very good, Wisconsin state pension available, regular pay increases (I have increased $1/hr in the first year), supportive management, paid time off, tuition reimbursement for select programs, opportunities to learn at work.
Productive and team orientated work tasks.
Surgical Technician, Orthopedic Department (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 29, 2016
On a typical day I would be helping perform surgical procedures in the operating room. Everyday is different so I really have learned to adjusting to my work day. My management is very involved and are always making sure you have the supplies you need. My co-workers and team member play a key role in everyday work tasks. The hardest part about my job is that you never know what is coming next. This also makes my job very excited. Being in the operating room is a very rewarding job because its very hands on.
Pros
Challenging, exciting and hands on
Cons
Standing all day, short breaks
Top Notch Employer
Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 6, 2016
I have worked for UW Hospitals & Clinics for 10+ years in a variety of positions. I have had the ability to develop and take on more responsible roles. Gaining experience, either through continued education or via assignments/roles in current job is encouraged. I work in a full-time day shift position and have some flexibility around my start and end time. I can even work from home occasionally as my work is conducive to that (I'm not a care giver). Because UWHC is so large, there are many opportunities to either promote or move laterally into different jobs across the organization. This is encouraged so employees remain engaged. It is one of the best places I've worked throughout my career and recommend it highly as an employer.
Pros
Flexible schedule, collaborative and team oriented culture
Cons
Large employer - sometimes difficult to stay on top of all that is going on in the organization.
Do Not Recommend
Lab Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 19, 2016
It's a really good place to learn about new technologies and to practice customer service skills, communication skills, and teaching skills. However, it can be hard to achieve a good work/life balance due to the sheer amount of work. Job security and ability to advance within the organization is limited.
Review of UW Health
Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 9, 2016
UW Health is a wonderful place to work. I really enjoy the people that I work with. My supervisors are very understandable and easy to get a long with. Great work environment!
Great Company to work for
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 4, 2016
I have no complaints overall of UW for work. They are a great facility to work for. Lots of chances for advancement. Management within the department I was in wasn't the best. They weren't always available, and they set strict standards for working in their department. I didn't feel valued.
Pros
company is amazing
Cons
management isn't the greatest
Poor Management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 16, 2016
I worked as a registered nurse in a clinic. There were many staffing issues which were a result of poor planning of management. Nurses who worked in understaffed clinic sessions were scapegoated when things did not run smoothly. Requests for necessary training around denied, or staffing limitations did not allow for time to participate. Poor management resulted in unfair, stressful conditions.
Pros
I had many hard working, caring co-workers.
Cons
Low morale and high turnover while I was there.