UW Health Employee Reviews

Committed to patient care
Senior Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 9, 2017
A high regard for taking care of the patient's clinical condition. Lots of layers in the organization due to size but engaged employees who want to do the best for the patient.
Not like it used to be
Nurse Clinician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 26, 2017
UWHC has gone down the tubes in recent years. It's concerned with image, not employees. The institution is in severe debt and yet they continue to build new buildings and buy new equipment and try to save money by decreasing employee benefits and pay levels.
Pros
job security - lots of sick people
Cons
horrible treatment
October 2, 2017

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience working at UW Health. If you'd like to speak to someone in HR, please feel free to call 608-263-6500.

Great team
Multidimensional Clinical Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 19, 2017
Very balanced. The agency I worked at was a clinic through UW. One negative within my clinic is that there was no raises in pay besides the annual universal raise within the entire hospital system. I was hired at a certain salary based on my inexperience and within a year I was certified in MDFT and received two licenses and was still unable to get a raise for any of that hard work.
Learned a variety of health care
CMA (Former Employee) –  Madison wiAugust 30, 2017
Loved the learning experience. Loved being able.to move within the company to gain experience in different areas of health care. Located to richland medical center to be closer to home
Pros
Lunces discounts employee appriciation
Cons
The drive
Great company to work for. Orientation process very thorough, valued me as an employee, and listen to my ideas and changes. Great physician.
Team Clinic Nurse (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 2, 2017
Great company. I really enjoyed working in the clinic and was very well managed. The pay was very good and the benefits were great. Management listen to any new ideas.
Pros
Great benefits, good hours, and friendly enviorment to work for.
Cons
Na
Truly enjoyed working at UW Health!
Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 31, 2017
Truly enjoyed working as part of the HR team. It is a very fast-paced environment, which helped with personal learning and development. The managers are very open, encouraging and supportive of their employees. I would highly recommend UW Health to others!
long, busy days of patient care.
Medical Review Specialist/coding analyzer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 30, 2017
Upon arriving at the work place, we received lists of the patients we would be seeing that day. I would prepare injections as necessary for pediatric Well Child visits, clean instruments and prepare for procedures and that were scheduled that day. I would prep my charts and get exam rooms ready. Management tended to let problems just drag on and not address them.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
no breaks except lunch
Excellent company to explore your professional self
Database Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 12, 2017
I was very happy and productive as a Database Specialist for UW Health. It was a business decision that caused me to leave, but I have references from my VP and two Directors.
stressful environment with no consistantcy
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 28, 2017
To many supervisors for one place meaning everyone that had a lead position thought they were the boss. Trainers not knowledgeable about changes and process.
June 29, 2017

Hello,
If you'd like to speak to someone in HR and notify them of your experience, please feel free to call 608-263-6500.

Management Stinks
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 23, 2017
I worked for the company for 28 years and basically got pushed out the door. The manager was evil and conniving and she couldn't be trusted. The whole clinic walked on eggshells.
I felt no support from her or her managers, they just look the other way. It got so bad there I was having severe anxiety attacks and migraines. After my co-worker got fired, I knew she was working on a plot to get rid of me so I got out. Since then, at least 3 long-term employees moved on to differently clinics.
People don't leave jobs, they leave management
Pros
Benefits were good
June 26, 2017

Hello, I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. If you'd like to speak to someone in HR, please feel free to call 608-263-6500.

Want to know more about UW Health?

Ask a question
ever-changing, ambiguous healthcare organization
Quality Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 21, 2017
Process improvement methodology and concepts are taught throughout the organization, as are concepts of leader-standard-work. Being a change agent for culture comes with challenges and rewards - the biggest of each being buy-in.
At the end of the day, the emphasis for each area is putting the patient first and any improvements should align with this.
Pros
cutting edge of healthcare and research
Cons
high turnover due to healthcare setting
Great benefits and Opportunities to Advance
Guest Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 19, 2017
Fantastic environment and superb management. I have felt very supported and am encouraged to explore ideas to improve any aspect of my career or the workplace.
Challenging Place to work
Clinical Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIJune 11, 2017
By name, the UW Health is a confident place to work. They do struggle with the balance of work and employee life. There is room for improvement in how the employees are treated.
Productive & friendly environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 8, 2017
Great team I was working with! Great place to work at. Everyone got along well and was a team player. Know your role and it will all work out fine. My other family was my coworkers!
Very proficient and professional when it comes to patient care
Scheduler for Orthopedics and Therapies (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 29, 2017
Amazing place to work with many caring providers. Everybody seems to have a common goal of striving towards perfection and ensuring patients care and needs are promoted and well met.
Excellent Place to work IF...
Registration (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 13, 2017
UW West as a whole isn't so bad. However, the supervisors are not in your general area of work and yet will speak with and/or reprimand you for activities they have *heard* you've done with no evidence whatsoever. So, as a result, if you make every person your friend, you're good. However, if someone doesn't like you so much and decides to stir the pot, your supervisor will completely buy into it and act on it without evidence of such behaviors.

Also, while I caught on to the job quickly, if you aren't a fast learner who learns by doing the act of the job and require more of a training and/or mentoring atmosphere, you will NOT do well. They do not train you. You are thrown into the job and expected to swim.

Good luck!
Terrible Management!
Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 10, 2017
I would not recommend a job at this company, the management is terrible and the turn-over rate is unbelievable. They are not fair to staff, and there's a lot of politics within certain departments. The training is inconsistent and they aren't available for questions or concerns. I also felt when concerns were being brought up in meetings management would get very defensive and hostile over changes that could improve the patient experience (which is what is most important).
Pros
Good benefits and fair pay
Cons
micromanaging, bad management, uncomfortable environment
May 15, 2017

Good place to work but poor management
Inpatient Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 6, 2017
I have enjoyed my time working at UW Health. It has been very difficult to advance or move around in the company. Currently, I have applied for 8 new jobs at UW and have only had 1 interview. Hours are not fun if you work in the clinic side of UW. A lot of weekend and pm shifts. Shifts vary. One week you may work am shifts the next you may work only pm shifts. I love the people and environment. Not a fan of the management. Seems very political and if the higher up people like you, you can get away with anything or move to any position... Benefits and salary have been good so far.
Pros
benefits, co-workers
Cons
management, politics, poor movement, hours
May 8, 2017

Manager horrible
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 19, 2017
Clinic manager is horrible. Doesn't communicate well, doesn't answer emails and has a very tightly wound temper. Should not be in the role. Staff was not included in the 6 month probation review to express our opinions.
Cons
No time to take lunch breaks or even bathrooms breaks
April 27, 2017

Learned alot
Scanning Clerk Health Information (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 1, 2017
I learned a lot at first but I found once I had the job down there was no place for me to go from there so I found myself not challenged enough and bored. However, the company is a great company to work for with excellent benefits.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Not challenging enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UW Health. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2