UW Hospital and Clinics Employee Reviews in United States

A great place to learn and grow.
admissions representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 18, 2016
I very much enjoyed my many years with UW Hospital and Clinics. They gave me the experience needed to further my career and the opportunity to make many lasting friendships.
Pros
Wages, benefits and growth opportunites.
Cons
My commute
busy general med unit
RN Staff Nurse UWHC (Current Employee) –  Madison, WisconsinJuly 8, 2015
I like the varity of my small general med unit, but the most difficult part of my job is dealing with patients with end stage dementia, delerium, they are not able to commuinicate their needs, makes it difficult sometimes to do your job. Coworkers are easy to work with, teaching students is a lot of fun. Would like to be a traveling clinical instructor, go to warm places in the winter. Sick of Wisconsin
Winters
Wonderful place to work
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 21, 2015
very friendly with opportunity for advancement. Managers are outgoing and are very willing to help out with any questions or concerns.
Pros
wonderful co-worker
Cons
short or no lunches
Great Place to work
Sterile reprocessing tech (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 27, 2015
put my scrubs on and go into my section sterile reprocessing unit and start my day cleaning equipment. Great coworkers great management. The hardest part of my job was getting backed up due to machine failure. I loved my job
Pros
great medical insurance
Cons
there really are none
Busy, smaller unit
Health Unit Coordinator-Senior (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 21, 2015
I currently work on a smaller unit with less than 20 employees. We are super busy different days of the week ie MWF (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) and our workload is getting bigger and bigger. It is nice when we have some "downtime" as it can be very chaotic and stressful.

I start at 0700 am until 1530 pm, Monday-Friday, I don't work weekends or holidays.

The good thing is, is that we have closer relationships with our attendings, fellows and residents. We are able to have a little fun no and then with them and that is unheard of in this hospital.

Our patients are regularly scheduled with their units ie MWF or TTS so we get to know them pretty well when they come in for hospital visits.
Pros
Corporate discounts, no weekends or holidays
Cons
Parking isn't included, food is expensive (no sodas served anymore)
Rare find: Part-time with pro-rated benefits
UWHC Scheduler, Objective - APC (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 18, 2015
An overall great place to work. Decent enough pay, but being able to obtain great health insurance working part-time (60%) makes up for any deficiencies in wages.

The new employee training provided by the hospital was helpful; however, I found the departmental training (in 2 different departments) to be lacking in written documention of work processes.

With only a few exceptions, I found my co-workers pleasant to work with. During my UWHC experience, I believe I learned to be a better listener and gleaned better communication skills in an environment where both qualities are important in achieving a quality patient experience and outcome.

I love having an opportunity to be a small part of the fantastic, compassionate care offered to patients who come to UWHC. It is a privilege to be a "bright spot" in the day of someone who is needing a bit of cheer in the midst of physical trials.
Pros
benefits for .60 FTE, free bus passes/shuttle, nice facility
Cons
limited parking, short breaks
Organized work environment
Valet Services (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 31, 2014
Greatly enjoyed working here as a student. Got to pick hours that worked for me and they pay more than they have to for the job. Fairly relaxed but efficient work environment. Can be stressful during busy times but coworkers are held to respectable standards (if someone isn't holding up their end they are reassigned or let go.)
Pros
decent pay/hours for what it is.
Cons
can be slow for change to happen through hospital bureaucracy
Great employer with a lot of possibilities for furthering knowledge and experience
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 8, 2015
I was per diem so I was able to experience what it was like to work in a variety of different units with a wide variety of patients.
Good people - Bad management
IT Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 2, 2014
Work life balance is something that is not well supported from an IT perspective. The expectation is to work long hours for little pay, with work never ending. IT Management treat their people very poorly.
Hospital management, actually treat their people considerably better.
Benefits are good, as well as pay in comparable.
Pros
good benefits, decent pay
Cons
poor management, long hours, no work life balance
Relaxed and fun workplace
Medical Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 9, 2013
Great co-workers
Great managers and supervisors
Flexible work schedule
The only bad part is working weekends and holidays
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
required to work weekends and holidays
good
nurse clinician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 16, 2013
I love working as a nurse at UW although I would like to further my career in nursing and possibly gain a leadership role in the future at Dean Clinic.
I love to increase my skills and share my experiences with others.
My job is very demanding as I manage hundreds of patient's with infections on IV antibiotics who have labs weekly.
We are very busy with telephone triage as well, which I enjoy.
I work one on one with my doctors as we case manage many patient's and work with other specialties as well.
My co-workers are awesome and I feel we have all learned a lot together. They work very hard as well.
The hardest part of my job is the social work part, coordinating IV infusion departments for our patient's especially when they live quite a distance from a Hospital.
Also, it is hard when a patient needs an expensive antibiotic when I know they cannot afford it. It is hard battling with insurance companies.
I love the internal medicine part of my job as I feel I learn about so many other disease states as well as ID.
Pros
opportunities for further learning
Cons
parking is very expensive and limited
good working schedule
Hospital Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 17, 2013
good management, depending on department you worked in
management generally willing to work with you on schedule
Great Hospital
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 3, 2013
Great hospital and staff. Loved working in the medical field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UW Hospital and Clinics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2