V.A. Medical Center

V.A. Medical Center Employer Reviews

Productive and busy place to work.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: talking to the vets
Cons: seeing the damaged vets
A typical day at work consisted of checking veterans in and out. receiving and maintaining Veterans demographics, and assisting them in completing new or updated forms for the outpatient clinic.
Responded to telephone inquiries and routed calls to the appropriate destinations. Creating reports, calendars, documents are a small example of assignments that are specifically assigned to me.

What I learned is that you can't please everyone but you can try your best.

Management was awsome. Anything the office or clerks needed we recieved or the tried their hardest to get.

My co-workers where wonderful, always helpful, and we always worked as a team.

The hardest part of the job was seeing a Veteran badly damaged from a war.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to assist a Veteran that fought for me and my country.
Challenging workplace.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Marion,IndianaFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: working with veterans
Cons: working with co-workers who didnt understand what it meant to be a veteran.
Each day started with a briefing of what the last tour had done with the vets. Then work assignments were given and then patient care would start. Showers and toileting would be done with meals served afterwards. Veterans would receive their individual meds when it was time for them to receive it. I generally enjoyed my time at the V.A. I learned that I don't want to do healthcare anymore because of the sense of loss when a Vet would pass away. When a Veteran was discharged and sent home was the best part of my job. They could go back to their families and familiar surroundings.
Excellent work envirorment
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2014
Work at the Veterans Hospital was very rewarding,knowing that in some small way I was helping our veterans recover after the First gulf war.
learning experience
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee), Salisbury, NCOctober 23, 2013
Pros: every other weekend off
Cons: not much
Prepare work assignments schedule training as needed address the needs of my workers as they arise.
Learned how to address people with their many complications individually and as a group.
Co-workers were mainly happy with my willingness to help them advance.
Trying to avoid disciplinary action which at time could not be avoided.
That before I could truly become the boss I had to learn 11 positions which established one on one working relationships and trust.
Nice Place to Work
Secretary, Dialysis Unit (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEOctober 3, 2013
Pros: great hours/pay/benefits. good fun in canteen. great sales in store
Cons: evaluations don't always seem fair, bosses have favorites, promotions are for favored
I worked at the VA Medical Center for 13 years. Working for the Federal Government is a great place to be. It offers great pay, great working conditions and excellent benefits.
Learning Exciting Fast Paced.
nursing tech med/surg unit (Current Employee), Lexington, KYMay 18, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: sometimes long hours in beteen breaks poor mangement
I learned how to multi-task and have great time mangement experience.
I loved working For the V.A., The staff, patients and visitors were very nice.
Housekeeping Aid III (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 11, 2013
Maintained a clean enviroment for all who entered the buildings.
Learned how to work in a safe manner with a limited time frame.
Mangement and co-workers was very helpful, (Team players).
Get use to the patients and then they pass away
When patients was leaving the center to go home.
It was a fun job
Contractor (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 13, 2013
Pros: great pay!!!
Cons: extensive travel and forking out money to fill my car up.
Overall, I liked the job a lot. I have some real good supervisors that are working with me. The hardest part of the job is trying to figure out what the emails are stating. A lot of users don't make their-selves very clear at what the issue is. I do feel though that my supervisor is giving me some real-life experience by going through the TMS system, taking courses, and printing reports. This is to help get a better understanding of the issues TMS users face. The other challenging part of this job is my boss is in another city and state. We have to communicate through the use of Office Communicator. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in front of a computer. My co-workers are GREAT people!!! If I ever need help with anything, I can turn to them for help. The other thing I like about this job is that a lot of my co-workers are veterans of the Armed Forces. I served six years in the U.S. Army. My boss served in the Marine Corps. There are some other co-workers who are vets as well that work in different departments. The only thing I didn't like is the travel. The reason is Tuscaloosa is 40 - 50 miles from Birmingham. Round trip, I'm putting in 90 - 100 miles a day. That's eating me out of money thanks to gas prices being so high.
Fun work place and good employees
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 4, 2013
Cons: only 30 min lunch break if possiable
I would come to work, check in with nurse or manager let them no I was there. I would go to my computer, login make sure there wasnt any doctor orders in the tray ( blood samples, xray's, urine samples etc) I would check to see If there were any patients that need to be checked out. Do a walk thru make sure patients dont need anything. get patients ready for surgery's, EKG's, check vital signs. Walk about in the ER just check out how many patients there and see if any nurses need any help. If there is and emerency thru the doors stop what Im doing check vital signs and If need be start a IV right away. Othe rthan that basically sitting at the computer desk checking out, and checking and calling insurance companies and getting bills taking care of.
VERY PRODUCTIVE AND FUN
Administrative Assistant Internship (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: free lunch was the best
Cons: healthcare and learning was the best
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED BEING AN INTERN FOR THE V.A. THE VETERANS AND EMPLOYEES WERE VERY LOVING AND WELCOMING . I WAS ALWAYS READY TO GO INTO WORK WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE. THE BEST PART ABOUT THE JOB WAS THE EXPERIENCE...I HAVE NO BAD COMMENTS OR HARD EXPERIENCES..
Great place to volunteer with capable staff
Dental Clinic Summer Volunteer (Former Employee), Augusta, GAJanuary 24, 2013
The V.A. was a great place to volunteer, but did not excel in efficiency.
By-The-Book place to work.
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Marion, ILOctober 19, 2012
Pros: canteen food was good. paid holidays, sick days, and leave time was gauranteed.
Cons: hard work and dedication was a must to work here.
Punch the clock and do it all over again. Procedure and routine was how it was done was common. Governmental-type managerial structure. The 9 to 5 drama was tough but rewarding. Special holidays and events will always be remembered.
awesome
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 11, 2012
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: to much free time
very easy place to work.i got my own floor assigned to me that i took care of all medication through-out my shift.i really enjoyed working there
Excellent benefits
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Coatesville, PASeptember 27, 2012
Pros: benefits were pretty good and so was the pay.
Cons: did not like the nursing part of the job. changing of patients, cleaning up messes, etc...
There was a lot of looking over your shoulder, due to the fact that you were working with mentally challenged individuals. Most of the staff got along very well together.
productive and encouraging workplace
pharmacist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 21, 2012
Pros: being able to work with other hardworking/informative professionals
Cons: limited breaks
Able to work both inpatient/outpatient; hence, acquired excellent skills to handle different hospital environments. Co-workers were always willing to lend-a-hand or impart good advice. The hardest part of the job was having to decide to depart that work environment in order to pursue further education. The most enjoyment part of the job was being able to work together with other dedicated professionals.
Great working environment, Great bosses,
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 25, 2012
Pros: helpful co-workers
Cons: temporary position
I enjoyed working at the Providence V.A. Medical Center. However I was in a veterans resource program which had time constraints as it was employment while looking for permanent employment. If I could secure a permanent position at the center I would grab it in a nano-second.
Very Productive and Challenging Place to Work
Distribution Clerk/Laundry (Former Employee), Brecksville, OHJuly 17, 2012
Pros: free monthly bus passes!;
Cons: no job transfers nor security for civilians after facility closed and moved.
There was never a dull moment...I hardly ever missed a day. I enjoyed the work I did, they people I worked with, and the income that I was making. Orders were completed and in compliance on a daily basis.

I learned to take on a leadership role and assume the responsibility of becoming a Team Leader for the first time in my life! Co-workers were your average everyday people that came to work to work; we were team players to make sure that all area VA facilities have their supplies of clean linen for our Veterans. It was my time to serve the very ones that served our Country and I was proud of my work and job at the time.

My hardest part of my job was coming upon the end of my work assignment after 4 years. I found me/us leaving our jobs and to see the whole facility close down the most hardest part of my job!

The most enjoyable time of my job was actually working! Everyday was not always easy, but it was a challenge. And I enjoy challenges from time to time. But to fulfill work orders and to see them being shipped out to various medical facilities and not have anyone complain, then I knew that it was another job well done!
A productive place
Volunteer (Current Employee), Jackson, MSJuly 7, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: n/a
I am only volunteering and hopefully get on for good, because they have wonderful benefits and job security.
Productive and organized place to work.
House Keeper Aid (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 14, 2012
Pros: the work benefits such as health insurance.
Cons: management
What I have learned from working at the V.A. is how to coexist in a war veterans atmosphere. Also how to pay attention to every detail when working at a fast pace. Another thing that I have learned is how things in the workplace do not always remain the same and one must adjust to those changes quickly so the job will go well. The management within the V.A. is good at times , but at times political policies and values get in the way with the management, but overall the management is good. My co-workers are mainly war veterans since it is a veterans hospital so they take their jobs very seriously , but we are like a family we all watch out for each other and have respect for each other. The hardest part of my job is the strenuous and physical aspect of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers.
Constructive work place
Clerk (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 25, 2012
Pros: stable pay
Cons: short breaks long hours
Worked in the administrative department and handling all the daily operations of the departments.
Compiled, updated and maintained various documents and information on computer systems.