VA Boston Healthcare System Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Management Issues
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 29, 2017
The Boston VA Healthcare System has a pattern of poor management in certain groups. Structure is lacking and there is a high turnover rate of employees.
Decent work environment
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 7, 2017
Difficult to obtain employment and equally difficult to advance career opportunities. Nurses well-supported by management. Many opportunities for continuing education.
The job was very fulfilling professionally and personally
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAOctober 13, 2016
Every day, with rare exception went by very quickly. The work schedule was a bit overwhelming at times. The unit I worked
on, the spinal cord unit was staffed with dedicated professionals, working as a cohesive team.
Pros
great benefits & job security
Cons
long commute for me
Assistant Chief of Nutrition and Food Services (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAJuly 25, 2016
Every day is a new experience. I enjoy the people I work with and have discovered that the relationships you build along the way are the most meaningful part of any job. I have learned that it is those relationships that makes the job fun, create friends and loyalty, as well as, develops resources making work easier as you go.

Working with people is both rewarding and frustrating. Diversity brings the best to the table. I have the great fortune to work with Veterans in one of the leading healthcare facilities in the nation. Everyone works hard to be #1 at everything we do. By doing this, we ensure the highest quality care is provided.

A typical day at work includes touching base with all work areas in a 3 campus healthcare system. I help manage a nutrition and food service involving clinical, food service and production services. I direct and assist all areas in meeting service goals striving for positive outcomes and metrics.

Veterans are at the center of all work processes keeping our focus on the values and direction needed everyday.

I work under the chief of the service and direct all work areas under her supervision and guidance. She and many others are terrific mentors willing to help you through the tough times. Training is always available to help improve and enhance supervisory skills. Opportunity is around every corner of this organization if you have the motivation to grab it. This facility is like one big family connected to each other willing to help one another.

I have had a fulfilling career and appreciate all this job has given to me.
Pros
Working with the Veterans
Cons
Limited resources at times
Positive Work Place
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 14, 2016
I am proud to be working at the VA Boston Healthcare System. I've learned many useful skills like entering patient demographics, scheduling, and verifying insurance. The managers are always very helpful in difficult situations. If there is a problem I can't solve they always help the best way that they can. The hardest part of the job would probably be when it is short staffed and there are walk ins that we can not see. Other than that we try to accommodate the best way possible. The most enjoyable part of my day would be interacting with patients.
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
N/a
Great place to learn but lacks mobility
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 1, 2015
Large Hospital with potential to grow and learn. Bureaucratic and funding approval is fickle. word word word word word
reveiw
Journeyman Painter, WG (Former Employee) –  West Roxbury, MAMay 9, 2015
very clean well organized enjoyable work was simi challenging completed my day to day task I love working and I enjoy talking to people.
Pros
the work enviroment
Cons
nothing
Only left because I had a baby!
Nuclear Medicine/MRI Technologist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
I truly loved working for the VA. The organization gets a bad rap a lot of the time but I can tell you first hand that the staff at the Boston VA were competent, driven individuals who often went far beyond their job descriptions to help a patient. Our department was ahead of the curve implementing a PACS system and buying a 3T MRI system while they were still considered research magnets. The physicians were top notch, too.
Acute Care Clinical Rotation
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Roxbury, MAMay 15, 2014
Included daily assistance with ADLs, administration of approved medications and application of approved nursing skills including placement and removal of foley catheters, suctioning, EKGs, bladder scans, and many others.
Staff was encouraging, helpful, and kind throughout the entire learning process.
rewarding and supportive environment
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2013
Very busy,well run lab where expertise and productivity were valued and rewarded by management and coworkers alike.
The most difficult days ocurred when shorthanded. The most enjoyable was when unusual , hard to identify cases were solved.
Pros
Flexibility and comeraderie
Cons
short-handedness which would occur occasionally, and pressure to complete tasks became difficult to control
Good and challengeable workplace environment
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 29, 2013
It's a good place to work because of good colleagues and great surgeons who makes you learn more and more but there's a lack of sensitivity and values on the part of management that makes working there a disappointment. There's no hard part in a job when you are able and want to do the job.
Extremely political with no room for advancement
Biomedical Equipment Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2013
Great place initially for training, learning, and exploring. But the government doesn't offer upward mobility or advancement. Creative thinking and progressive ideas are shunned upon. Great place for those looking for job security and very few responsibilities. Not so great if you're looking to expand.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
A terrible work ethic is actually encouraged
Great
Pharmacy Rotation Student (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2013
Great preceptor. Excellent opportunities. Just ask for it.
Bad Management and politics
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  BostonOctober 28, 2012
If you are only looking for free parking and generous time off,then this is the place for you , however if you have a strong work ethic , are dedicated and want to do your best , you may be disappointed, the current administration has been in their positions of power for more than 30 years on average, there is no respect whatsoever for the supervisor or manager~s, none. The chain of command is not followed , or enforced, and if you are not on the ~In List , with administration , they will go after you for anything, even telling lies to remove you.
Pros
free parking, hard working medical and nursing staff, providing excellent care, thrift savings and time off, that balances work and life
Cons
poor leadership throughout, and administration that are vipers
fun workplace
Health Statistician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 18, 2012
I worked there more than 10 years ago. That was my first job in this country.