VA Medical Center

VA Medical Center Employer Reviews

Very career orented and always something new to learn
LPN ,Team counitour med nurse (Former Employee), Prescott, AZJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: working with vets and with subtance abuse and every one worked as a team
Cons: long shifts and some times the up comming nurse would call in making your shift 14 hours or longer
Every day started out with a full report by day nurse followed by medication count , then a trip to Pharmacy to pick up any meds needed for the night and any questions I my have on the meds. Then med line started it was about 2 hour's with med set refills and instruction's to be given to residents, Then a group was done for AA or health. Then any treatments are done at this time to sick residents. Then I would meet residents for there treatment team meetings and any other resident care at this time. Then 2 hours of charting. And through the night there would be emergency's if there was a SSI resident or any accidents that may have happen through the day you chart and access if they need to go to the ER or if its something that can wait till day shift. Rounds would be made every 2 hours between all your work and charted where the residents were, At midnight all residents have to be accounted for if missing you have to find there where abouts. All stocking of medical supply's are counted and ordered for the next day and Narcotics are ordered at this time. All medication that is used to fill medisets are also ordered at the end of your shift all Narcotic are counted and all charting must be completed. my shift was 19:00 to 07:30 am
Wonderful team approach/atmosphere for the good of our Veterans
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee), Erie, PAJanuary 22, 2015
I am blessed to be here among such wonderful people!!!!! Everyone works as a team to the interest of the Veterans. My co-workers are just that "CO" there is no fence between the management and the rest of us. I enjoy interracting with Veterans and able to help them when theyare going through a tough time.
Escort (Former Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: provided job experience
Cons: no pay
Great opportunity to learn essential job skills. Even though I was just a volunteer, I was welcomed as a valuable staff member.
extensive orientation process
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: good pay, benefits
Cons: sick, sad, environment, advansement lies, lies lies. watch your back
Orientation was extensive so you can move into your position without feeling overwhelmed. Also offer extended time if you felt the need. EHR was implemented and scanning of pts. identification and medication was more accurate and a safer practice. Still had a few issues overall good practice. There were staffing issues so the chance of being pulled to another unit was common. Most staff had there on agenda, so any type of comrodery and working together was not easy. They also had a practice that any staff member not having a good day could right you up for looking at them the wrong way and you had to prove your innocence. Management was not always available to you, least more than often. They often did not speak to you in a professional manner. I often felt a bulling tactic approach. It often felt the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. Frequent changes without making anything more productive. Hardest part was lack of support. God forbid you stepped on some ones toes or were to opinionated they through you under the bus. Then the few you did build a relationship with turned the other way to avoid repercussion.
A great place to work with good benefits
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Temple, TXJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: employee wellfare concern
Cons: non noted
A typical day at work was steady but not over-whelming. Each day could possibly provide a new learning experience. Managers were always available for support and consultation. Co-workers were united and worked together or independently depending on the situation to provide the best possible patient care. No part of the job can be described as hard. I found the whole experience rewarding and enjoyable.
Volunteering at the VA is an Honor
Volunteer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: great people and meal tickets (free lunches under $6)
As a volunteer, I don't get paid, but I get to meet different kinds of people and have fun with the people I'm fortunate to be with. I know most of the floors functions; first floor, east wing is where prosthetic, physical therapy, and DAV travel office is located, for example. The hardest part of the job is when we meet or hear a veteran with clear signs of mental or psychological illness, its at that point we would have the police come in, and sometimes that would make the situation worse. But overall I get to talk to other volunteers as well as talk to some veterans that come up to simply chat before their next appointment.
Great place to work if you love customer service!
MSA (Former Employee), PhoenixJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch
I was a volunteer here but I learned a lot of new software systems, how to schedule, cancel, and check in appointments. The management of the J/O clinic where I worked was wonderful as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the walk ins and having to attend to the phones at the same time and the most enjoyable part was the patients.
Safe, productive, and pleasant environment.
Dental Assisting (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: benefits, comrades
Cons: no parking
I was honored to serve out veterans and work among some of the most compassionate and hard working people.
Fun & Fast pace enviroment
Radiology Student (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Great place of work. Fun crew. Fast pace. Patients are amazing!
Independent fun work atmosphere
Medical Technologist (Current Employee), Erie, PAJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: working with the veterans
Cons: short staffed
I start my day with drawing morning rounds. I am lead Technologist for chemistry and urinalysis, but also a generalist and work in all areas of the lab. I am responsible for daily and monthly QC reviews and ordering supplies, yearly evaluations of employees, proficiency testing and writing sop manuals. I also compile the employee work schedule. I get along well with my co-workers and am often a mediator. The hardest part of my job is finding enough time to complete all of the paperwork and administrative duties while also working on the bench. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting the veterans, they always have a good story to tell and put me in a good mood.
Could use a bit of attention to managerial staff.
Supply Technician (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: opportunity to assist in anyway, the positive progress of any patient.
Cons: the bosses who appear to have forgotten that this is a hospital.
Love the job. I'm all about the patients. --------- However, the management isn't. OR, it seems, the management cares more for their own interests rather than those of the patients and/or their employees. They make this very apparent on a daily basis. I'm a Military Veteran and I've been a patient here myself from time to time. The service I've received has been phenominal. The immediate healthcare providers are superb. But, that's where it stops in most cases. Support staff such as housekeeping, Supply Distribution, etc. have been challenged to show a decent level of integrity for themselves and/or their jobs. While this is not true of all of the so-called blue-collar staff, it is very previlant throughout the hospital. Especially during the daytime hours. It is difficult for me to work in an environment that projects such negativity. ---------- Thus, my resume is now in your hands for review.
The Birmingham VA Medical Center takes pride in honoring our country's veterans with qualified and effective healthcare.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 31, 2014
Pros: no taxes on purchases made in the medical center, benefits, friendly staff
Cons: half-hour lunch break for 12 or more hour shifts
It is always a very friendly and professional atmosphere in the Medical Intensive Care Unit at the VA in Birmingham. We all take our career and responsibilities to our country's veterans very seriously. We are very organized and show pride for being so. Upon arriving for my shift, all RNs from the previous shift will have a detailed patient report sheet to hand off to the next RN. Although the detailed report sheet is very essential, all the RNs, usually approximately six, are responsible for verbally receiving report in each patient's room including the patient's that are not assigned to you. The purpose for this is because we all need to have some understanding about each patient in the unit, not only the ones assigned to any particular nurse. The MICU is a total patient-care unit, therefore, there are not any LPNs or CNAs to assist with patients. This decreases fragmented patient care. One of the best learning experiences comes from being included in the rounds with the attending physician and the interns of our assigned patients. RNs are always present in the room to receive the most recent detailed information on the patient's status and to ask and questions of concern. In cases when a patient is alert and oriented, this also allows us to explain further details to patients who did not quite understand the terminology used by the physicians. That leads to greater patient satisfaction because the patient feels more involved with his or her care. I am extremely fortunate to have management and colleagues who are very selfless and never hesitate to lend a helping hand. Management – more... really tries to remain open-minded when concerns are expressed or suggestions are mentioned. The most difficult part of my job is loss of life. Unfortunately, the MICU receives a fair amount of terminally ill patients and it's sometimes difficult to accept that after everything medically has been done but yet, it wasn't enough to reserve life or improve quality of life. Ensuring a patient's comfort at the end of life is often times more accepted by the patient than it is for the patient's family. Saving a patient's life or making a patient's quality of life better is by far the most enjoyable part of my career. Patient and family education is essential for improving a patient's quality of life and education is treated just as important as any other part of the nursing process. – less
Great place to work with possibilities of advancement
LPN (Current Employee), Kansas CityDecember 28, 2014
I work in several different clinics gaining knowledge about different specialties. I assist with several procedures and patient care. I truly love working with the veteran population.
I enjoy working here for it serves as a continuum for clinical learning
Social Work Intern (Current Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 16, 2014
Pros: free parking, and transportation.
Cons: no benefits for interns
The Veterans Administration Medical Center is a Diverse , Clinical,
didactic environment that holds Veterans with substance issues accountable for their treatment and Recovery. it is an excellent learning environment for Interns with a strength-based assessment perpective. It does notutilize deficit-based treatment engagemenmt or approaches which is refreshing for Substance abuse is a disease that needs to be treated Clinically.
nice place overall
Medical Supply Tech (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 13, 2014
Pros: no time clock to swipe in and out
Cons: they dont compensate on experience, more on veteran status
lunch breaks are not monitored, some bosses are efficient in their positions and know how to use it.
Productive place to work
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHDecember 12, 2014
enjoyed my employment with the va. wish I could have continue my empolyment
The Veterans are a privelege for which to work.
Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner 2004-present (Current Employee), Jackson, MSDecember 5, 2014
The Medical Center is continuously striving to do it's best work for the Veterans.
great place to learn
med nurse, patient care (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
Pros: excellent pay
Cons: a little to far to drive
Hard work, great co-workers. A little to far to drive but worth it
to see the progress of the patients.
Shortage of staff makes it hard on the staff.
Currently work as a staff RN, BSN/Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 22, 2014
Shortage of staff in my unit makes it hard on us. Sometimes I end up doing the job of 2 to 3 people.It is stressful.
The only thing that helps their is that we do team work.
VA Medical Center
Program Support Assistant / Data Entry (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 19, 2014
• Pre certified all patients before appointments; Operated various information/data systems, including data entry
• Utilized knowledge of PowerPoint, Excel and Microsoft when working on weekly assignments
• Scheduled/canceled patients appointments, arranged travel and lab work
• Authorized to schedule patients surgical appointments; Compensation and Pension appointments, acted as a floater to relieve other departments when needed
• Acted as liaison between patients and their medical providers; relaying messages, medication refills and other health concerns

1 2 3 4 5

About VA Medical Center

The Veterans Health Administration is home to the United States’ largest integrated health care system consisting of 152 – Read more