VA Medical Center

VA Medical Center Employer Reviews

VA Medical Center
Program Support Assistant / Data Entry (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 19, 2014
• Pre certified all patients before appointments; Operated various information/data systems, including data entry
• Utilized knowledge of PowerPoint, Excel and Microsoft when working on weekly assignments
• Scheduled/canceled patients appointments, arranged travel and lab work
• Authorized to schedule patients surgical appointments; Compensation and – more... Pension appointments, acted as a floater to relieve other departments when needed
• Acted as liaison between patients and their medical providers; relaying messages, medication refills and other health concerns – less
Training
Work Study (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 11, 2014
Pros: water/ice machine and good work envorinment.
While at my extern site Luke Air Force Base, I learned multiple areas of the lab. Urinalysis, chemistry, microbiology, hematology, and phlebotomy. I also learned how to work as a member with all types of personalities.
Good position but temporary
Medical Supply Technician (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARNovember 5, 2014
Provided medical supplies to the assigned areas. Management was difficult at but the job was completed.
Great place to work. Delaware VA was in jeopady of being closed in the future.
Health Technician (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEOctober 27, 2014
Work day was bathing patients, taking VS, Drawing blood, finger sticks, transfering patients. wound care, making beds writting care plan notes. charting materials showers, and personal care
Food Service Worker
Food Server (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 24, 2014
Pros: working for veterans
Cons: promotions
I enjoyed working for veterans and with people. Started in the dish and pot room, then on the serving line, deliver food trays then back in the dish room. Learned patients and how to work with people and not against people. Enjoyable part was working with good people that was willing to take care of the customers/patients.
Typical day in my nursing clinic
Patient Aligned Care Team Nurse (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLOctober 23, 2014
Educational staff in-services, which improved documentation deficiencies. Educate patients on disease process, procedures, and safety precautions. Assess and coordinate patient care in primary care clinics. Evaluate discharged patients via telephone and walk-in clinic. Examined and monitored charts independently for compliance. Assisted in the preparation – more... of Joint Commission Survey. Developed power point presentation for staff team (Smoke Cessation). Educated staff in the Community Living Center (audit nursing and physicians charting). Assisted in the developing of action plan to solve deficiencies – less
I already submitted this info
Janitor/custodian (Former Employee), Dayton, OHOctober 20, 2014
I already submitted this info. I got along well with my co-workers for the most part. I learned different aspects of cleaning. I did not like working in the hospital area due to the smells.
Productive, Fast-paced, Beneficial place of Work
Certified Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2014
I absolutely love working with the veterans, they are very comforting and deserve all the support and love that myself and my department shows on a daily.
Great Place to work
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 15, 2014
Fast Paced enviornment, that apreciates hard work. Once you are past your year probation it is almost impossible to get fiered. My only complaint is that it feels as if the technicians are not respected.
At times is a fun place to work, employees are more serious and focused
Licensed Practical Nurse/Specialty Clinics (Current Employee), Salem, VAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: interaction with veteran's, benefits, pay scale.
Cons: sometimes no lunch break or break period.
Typical day: scheduling endoscopy procedures, returning phone, education on prep for endoscopy procedures, manage consults.
What I have learned: Increased knowledge managements skills, time management
Management: Supervisor is good source of information and helps direct me in the appropriate steps.
Co-Workers: Overall are most have strong nursing skills, – more... communicate well
Hardest part of job: New/changeling role for me, learning curve. New atmosphere, co-workers and environment
Most enjoyable: Assisting the veterans. I love helping veterans and hope that I have made a difference in their lives. – less
Supervisors and staff were pleasant and easy to get along
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 14, 2014
Pros: i liked everything, hours, staff and working around the other veterans
Cons: the job was time-limited and i wish i could have got on, but the va budget did not permit.
My work in housekeeping started @7:00 am and ended @ 3:30pm.After sign-in, I was assi9gned an area in the hospital then I would would make -sure all areas were stocked with supplies.I would clean bathrooms, dust mop carried and broke down boxes.Worked all levels in the hospital.

Standards foe the Emergency room regarding sanitizing and biohazard precautious.

Co-Workers – more... and supervisors:working with my staff and supervisor as a team was the best part of the job, friendly and courteous.

Everything was smooth in the job after I learned the locations and rooms in the hospital. – less
Loved the patients and over half of my coworkers - management not so supportive
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 11, 2014
Pros: good raises and benefits
Cons: not so great management
I loved the patient population at the VA - our vets are awesome and a lot of fun. The opportunities for raises are good there. The management (on my ward, anyways) could have been better however, and I had some really great co-workers and some not so great ones who were allowed to get away with not working very hard.
Serving our Veterans
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 7, 2014
Pros: serving those who have served our country.
Cons: having to work with an old way of thinking from management.
Working at the VA Medical Center presents a challenge each day because of the different types of patients that we care for, ranging from veterans from WWI to the Afghanistan war. Both male and female veterans receive care at the hospital, so the way I have to quickly adjust them according to there needs. Management often do not understand what the employees – more... have to deal with on a daily bases. Many of those in management would make decisions base on how things was during their time as front line employees, and that the way things was will still work. These decision often would bring, discord and bad feels from the work force and making the way services is given to patients difficult. But when ever you are able to provide proper service to the veteran and his/ or he family, and they leave with what they need, is the high point of the day. – less
I worked for a va in Oregon for 10 years et had a break in service and then woked for another 21 1/2 years at Topeka. I enjoyed my work there.
pyschiatric lpn (Former Employee), Topeka, KSOctober 5, 2014
Pros: good health coverage, chances to advance careerwise, paid educational opportunities, choices in working hours, good benefits and sick leave and annual leave accruals.
Cons: did not have any issues that i considered a con.
worked with a great bunch of people all the way from the supervisors, charge nurses, social workers, doctors. All three shifts worked together for the common cause with good cohesion. I worked the night shift and thoroughly enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and knowing that we worked as a team. we made rounds, monitored vital signs, charted, observed – more... for changes in mental status or for escalation of agitation. reported to oncoming shift, passed meds, and de-escalated hostile situations. the hardest part of job was when de-escalations did not work with talking down, or chemical means or show of force. and you had a take down. the best part of job was seeing the progress made by the vet's et seeing them return to a healthy mental state, and being discharged back to their own homes or community. – less
Great serving those who served us
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), Leavenworth, KSSeptember 26, 2014
I loved caring for the veterans that fought for our freedom however the staff doesn't have a clue how to work as a team. The management is horrible and I wish I would have stayed at NKC PRN with no benefits then to have ever had to say that I worked with the individuals I did at the VA I got into healthcare because I care for people and want to help – more... and caring for your troops was great however the people I had to work with and tolerate in order to do so was psychologically damaging. – less
Great Education
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 24, 2014
Pros: opportunity to help others
Working with the Veterans gave me an education in all facets of nursing. Understanding the physical and emotional needs of an individual, and being able to resolve those needs is a very good, rewarding feeling.
Lazy culture
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: benefits, patients
Cons: coworkers, management
Lazy workers and little help. Nobody goes above and beyond because they know they have superior job security. Takes FOREVER to go through hire process, and overall tons of policy loop holes even in everyday work. Poor low quality equipment. Excellent patient population who are so grateful and nice. Terrible evaluation process and overall low pay in – more... comparison to area positions – less
Great place to work, but the staff attitude is poor
Recreation Therapy Intern (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: passionate program director
Cons: bureacracy
The program that I spent my time with during my internship was a strong program with a lot of potential. What held it back was an un-supportive staff climate and intense bureaucratic road blocks.
Great employeer
Civil Service (Former Employee), Prescott, AZSeptember 20, 2014
Top rated place of employment
management at times lacks supporting mid level management
Medical Fee Basis Clerk (Former Employee), Erie, PASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: being a part of the va and what they stood for.
Cons: i was working as a student and had to quit when i graduated.
I sorted the mail, scanned and filed documents, billed dialysis patients and other outpatient office visits. The management was great to work with. The co-workers were very easy to work with and very helpful.

1 2 3 4 5

About VA Medical Center

The Veterans Health Administration is home to the United States’ largest integrated health care system consisting of 152 – Read more