VA Medical Center

VA Medical Center Employee Reviews

Biomedical
Bio-Med Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 20, 2016
Applying my knowledge of the multi-natured engineering and medical principles associated to the biomedical maintenance field, I was responsible for comprehensive technical support of highly complex medical systems as well as simple medical devices. This support includes preventive maintenance inspections, maintenance and repair, calibration, installation, modification, and user training.
Energy Filled Place
ER Assistant Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 30, 2015
A typical day consist of helping in the ER areas and helping in support duties . I would help with checking individuals in the ER and I would help other workers with paper work, filing, mailing.
Pros
always busy, working late hours
Cons
meeting people, staff, experience
Externship
Externship (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 15, 2015
I did my externship at the VA. It has a fast environment but is very fun. I enjoyed my externship very much. I don't have knowlege on how it is as a employee but as a student it was amazing.
About my work history
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
I am very hard working man I enjoy working for the federal goverment I been working for about 23yrs at my job as a material handler....I have worked for housekeeping aid for like ten yrs....
Externship
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 7, 2015
I loved working with the dental professionals who take care of our military veterans. The staff embraced the dental assisting students and shred their knowledge and skill. This was an awesome externship and would like to be apart of this dental team someday.
Pros
Being able to give back to the men and women who sacrificed so much for our freedom.
Fast paced government facility
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 24, 2015
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but that's expected from a government facility. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my colleagues.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Promotion not based on merit or credentials
most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Nurse Manager/Educator (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 7, 2015
The staff is very enjoyable as well as the weather. Great Benefits with adequate days off. 10 Federal paid holidays. Huge campus with many opportunities to sit on multiple committees. Staff have an onsite gym, private credit union, and newly updated cafeteria.
Benefits
Cons
No short or long term disability options
housekeeping aide
Housekeeping Aid (CWT) (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHNovember 6, 2015
clean and disinfect assigned restrooms, patient rooms, sweeping and mopping hall floors, emptying of all trashcans in my assigned area. I also assisted patients in mobility and transport from their rooms to dining hall.
Pros
a very good experience
Cons
N/A
helpful and professional office setting
Physical Therapist Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2015
really enjoyed working here . I learned about running and maintaining a physical therapy office. The hardest part was doing both in patent and out patient
Pros
networking ablity
Cons
n/a
Rewarding healthcare center providing top notch care to those who have served our country
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 1, 2015
VA Ann Arbor is a rewarding system to work for. The patient population is very grateful for their health care providers and the system goes above and beyond to provide cutting edge care.
Pros
Rewarding population, competitive pay, amazing long term benefits/retirement
Cons
No short term disability
VAMC Atlanta
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GANovember 1, 2015
The VA nuclear medicine department is an extremely busy department with very competent technologists working there, however, the current management does not appreciate the personnel and treats them poorly. The management is tedious and focuses on the negative, and they do not compliment the personnel.
Pros
Competent peers
Cons
Truly tragic management
Busy place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 31, 2015
I would arrive at work at the Inpatient Pharmacy Clinic and review for ten minutes my assigned duties.I learned about all types of medications and IVs that were required for the patients. I learned that if the manager didn't like me then I had a difficult time doing my job properly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a set of rules only meant for me while my co-workers dealt with another set of rules. Nothing was consistent in the clinic.The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients when I was requested to do so. It was a fun place to work when I could leave the clinic to deliver the patients' medications.
Pros
Friendly patients and other clinic personnel
Cons
The attitudes that were allowed in the pharmacy clinic and some of the ward personnel.
Same as last review
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 22, 2015
same as last review. Good place to work overall. Hectic at times but enjoyable. Working for Veterans is very rewarding, enjoyable as I am a Veteran myself.
Pros
2 breaks - 1 lunch
Cons
great leadership
Great benefits,interesting population to work with
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 21, 2015
Dedicated,caring staff. Great place to work.Very large organization which can have it's drawbacks. Loved working with vets-extraordinary men and women.The VA benefits can't be beat.
Good place to work but limited in upward mobility
Full Time Radiology Administrator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHOctober 16, 2015
I have worked at the VA for 10 years and I really love it, but it is difficult to branch out into other aspects of the medical center as far as upward mobility goes.
Very fast work place
Phlebotomist Technician (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 15, 2015
Learned a lot within my four weeks and had a great opportunity to learn as much as I did. I was really excited at how many draws I got in such a short amount of time.
N/A
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2015
Nice place to work in but there is no advancement in the company. Management was some what nice but the coworkers were nice. Customers were nice.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no advancement
Satisfied
Supervisory, Medical Support Assistant (GS-8) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasOctober 14, 2015
For the most part, I am completely satisfied with the operation of the VA Hospital. I have learned a lot and have had an opportunity to meet lots of new people.

I am reassured by the job security and I am pleased with the benefits that are offered.
Good place to help Veterans
Carol Mackley, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 13, 2015
Enjoyed working with the Veterans. Liked helping veterans find solutions to their problems. Worked as volunteer for 6 years in the MyHealtheVet program. Working conditions were alright. Knew what to expect and tried to get work done on time and within parameters.
Pros
Helping Veterans
Cons
Not being able to see results.
Busy
Pharmacy Call Helpline (Former Employee) –  Phoenix,AzOctober 13, 2015
Very busy call center , lack of help and support from management and a lot of non team work and not much support from management

4.2