Vail Resorts

Vail Resorts Employer Reviews

Business Experience in the Mountains
Beaver Creek Area Manager (Former Employee), Beaver Creek, COOctober 10, 2014
Pros: location, management experience
Cons: employees not willing to give it their all
Not many professionals can claim they got a start in their career while living in the Rocky Mountains. I learned what it means to be a leader, not just a manager. I learned the important aspects of financial management and thinking like a CEO of his or her own company. My love of process development and optimization started here and I met some incredible – more... individuals I can now call life-long friends. The hardest part of the job was running a multi-million dollar business with seasonal staff that may decide not to show up for work any given day. – less
Fun & Active / Great People
Building Engineer II, Lead Swing Shift Engineer (Current Employee), Vail, COSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: great healthcare, hot lunch provided.
Cons: compensation is on the low scale.
Every day is unique and fun. Great management and encouragement for advancement. Many certification courses offered.
Great interaction between Departments. Very diverse work force.
Fun and adventurous place to work
Non-Certified Ski Instructor (Former Employee), Park City, UTSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: outdoors, kids, fun, physical
Cons: management
Vail Resorts, specifically Canyons Ski Resort, was a fun and adventurous place to work. I again worked with kids and taught them the essentials to becoming a great skier. I would show up early and meet with the other instructors, getting a brief meeting on the daily activities. I would meet with my kids and keep them all day working on specific ski – more... skills. Around 4pm I would bring the kids down and ensure they meet up with their parents. Unfortunately, although I don't like to give bad reviews, Vail management is not some of the best I have worked under. They were consistently late with information and schedules, as well as unorganized in interoffice communication and effort. I was able to adapt and work with this system, yet was able to provide constructive critiszum to those who would take kindly to it. Unfortunately I will not work for them again considering this. But from this the hardest part was the management and the most enjoyable was the kids and outdoor work. – less
NA
Staff I Accounts Payable Accountant (Former Employee), Broomfield, COSeptember 2, 2014
Great work life balance. Does not pay well at all. Management treats employees as very replaceable.
low salary, great growth opportunities
Front Office Manager (Former Employee), Breckenridge,coAugust 31, 2014
Pros: opportunities
Cons: low pay
Vail resorts allows you to take on management positons that some other companies may not with out more experience, but offer low pay
good internship
Bartender/Server (Current Employee), Dillon, COAugust 26, 2014
Pros: free lunch and lift tickets
Cons: needed to be challenged more
learned a lot this summer

needed to be communicated more by management

increased level of customer service
Vail Resorts is sneaky
Warehouse Clerk/Packaging/Processor/Shipping (Former Employee), Aurora, COAugust 16, 2014
Poor wages

The management makes it seem like they care, but just by surprise completly blind sides you with a lay-off.
Day on the mountain as a lift operator
Lift Operator (Former Employee), Vail, COAugust 13, 2014
Pros: ski vail, co every day
Cons: co worker
Conduct safety checks at start of lifts; prepare and run lifts according to resort standards. Safety barrier setup and maintenance; perform run safety. High customer service at lifts to create a pleasant experience for each guest coming to the lift. Train new employees as they come through during the season. Perform closing duties to ensure end-of-day – more... safety. – less
Fun winter work
Marketing Research Associate (Former Employee), Breckenridge, ColoradoAugust 6, 2014
Pros: free skiing!
The hours were fine and I was busy, which I prefer. Management was fine, no issues, ever though I'm not used to having a "boss." The guests asked plenty of questions and I learned many answers. All in all it was a fine time.
Great place to work.
Rental Technician (Former Employee), Breckenridge, COJuly 23, 2014
Pros: free lift pass to ski the mountain
Cons: working weekends and holidays
Great place to work. Great experience with working with a team. Properly fit customers with snowboard and ski gear.
Great Ski Area Operation
Volunteer-Seasonal (Current Employee), Vail, COJuly 12, 2014
Pros: locker room, boot heaters, discounted pricing and great boss
Cons: bad weather
Enjoyable place to recreate and meet people from all over the world. Extensive customer service in the resort environment. Wonderful co-workers from all walks of life. It's all good! This is 100% volunteer work.
World Famous Ski and Snowboard School
LIONSHEAD CHILDREN ALPINE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Vail, ColoradoJuly 4, 2014
Pros: happy employees, world class, olympic medaling product. highly affordable, quality group offerings for all skill levels and age groups
Cons: pricy private lessons
Based in the Lionshead village, instruction spans the scale of Vails ep;ic, world famous expanse of terrain. This school literally wrote the book on ski and snowboard instruction, and is the home base of many of the most elite skiers and snowboarders in the United States and the World.
Decent work environment but not much money.
Mountain Safety (Former Employee), Vail, COJune 27, 2014
Pros: skiing, good people, and beautiful environment
Cons: difficult guests, low pay
Vail Resorts is the biggest name in the Ski industry today. They pride themselves on excellent guest service and providing "an experience of a lifetime". Most VR employees have two jobs, one for the summer and one for the winter, the company refers to them as "full time seasonal". As a full time seasonal employee I worked on Vail mountain during the – more... winter and Red Sky Ranch Golf Club in the summer. As you can assume it's not your typical office environment, mostly for the better but like all jobs it has its shortcomings.

I worked for the Mountain Safety Dept. Which is a division of the Ski Patrol. We focused on enforcing the rules on the mountain to ensure the safety and wellness of our guests. We were responsible for maintaining speed and crowd control on the mountain as well as assisting the guests in any capacity. On the more congested runs we would make our presence known by putting up large slow signs (we called them baffles) and talking to anyone that was skiing too fast or out of control. If we came into contact with an individual who fell into those categories we would educate and document the interaction by taking the information from their ski pass. We also assisted the Ski Patrol who were responsible for the medical issues on the mountain. All of us were trained in CPR and basic first aid so in a pinch we were able to help a member of the patrol if it was needed. We also located lost equipment, helped lost guests (Vail is the third biggest ski resort in North America), and provided local area information.

The management was pretty decent. The department had one director and four managers for thirty employees (a bit much). The managers were all pretty good to us, they were flexible when it came to personal and familial issues and were always willing to work with us. However, having that many managers made it difficult to get promoted within the department. So there was not much room for growth.

My coworkers were really a good group of people. We came from all over the country and were very supportive of each other. There were some issues that arose from time to time but it was never serious. We forged strong friendships and still keep in touch to this day.

The most difficult part of the job was dealing with some of the unhappy guests. If we stopped to speak to someone they would either be very cooperative (more than half the time) or they would get defensive and start a difficult dialog. I have been called every unpleasant name under the sun, spit on, and threatened with bodily harm. Still this is in the minority but it happened more than once but you have to keep your calm. So I am well versed in difficult conversations.

The best part of the job was being able to ski for your job with good people. It truly was a great experience but I had to move on because I was living paycheck to paycheck and Vail is an incredibly expensive place to live. – less
Great company to work for.
Chief Engineer Pines Lodge/Osprey at Beaver Creek (Former Employee), Beaver Creek, COJune 27, 2014
Pros: varied work.
Cons: too much time in the office on the computer.
Lots of support for self improvement. fast pace environment. Always something different. Management very supportive. Co-workers fun to work with.
Productive a fun work place
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee), Jackson, WYJune 18, 2014
Pros: room & board
Cons: government shut-down
I liked working at the Grand Teton Lodge. Great people and beautiful scenery.
Growing fast paced and innovative company
Interim Employee Relations Director (Former Employee), BroomfieldJune 12, 2014
Outstanding growing company to acquire resort and hospitality experience
Fun place to work, great co-workers
Product Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Breckenridge, COJune 8, 2014
You get to ski free at all Vail Resorts properties! You get to volunteer for all sorts of community fund-raisers. You get weekly e-mails about all the up-coming events.
Vail Resorts
Snowmaker (Former Employee), Breckenridge ColoradoJune 7, 2014
Cons: no benefits
Vail resorts is an top tier ski resort company. On the average day I would learn about every aspect of the ski industry. Excellent company.
Its a joke to work for
Vacation/Reservation Agent (Former Employee), Broomfield, COJune 2, 2014
Turn over is really bad. they give you a month to make them tons of money and if you don't make it they will cut you really quick. They tell you that your doing good but then let you go. Worse job ever!!!!
Agile process orineted. Energetic and professional. Good atmoshphere.
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), InterlockenMay 25, 2014
Pros: processes, co-workers, management
Cons: it was a contract job. so no permanent benefits. however, still great place to work at!
High agile process oriented, Very talented people. Very well organized. Management is friendly and approachable. Co-workers energetic and professional. Hardest part of job is regression testing before release of software iteration, but very fun challenge. Most fun part of job is working with dedicated individuals who are committed to delivering a quality – more... product. Really enjoyed working at Vail Resorts. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Vail Resorts

Vail Resorts hopes the ski vacation business is all uphill. One of┬áNorth America's┬áleading ski resort operators, Vail Resorts – Read more