Vail Resorts Employee Reviews

Good ideas, bad execution
Lift Electrician (Former Employee) –  Truckee, CANovember 3, 2016
Too much money and resources put towards guest service and not enough into the backbone of the company, the equipment! Micromanagement at its finest. You feel like you are walking on eggshells alothe because you signed some paper at the daily safety meeting and now are performing that task you just signed off, not to do. It's alot of do as I say not as I do, kind of work.
Pros
Ski resort
Cons
Ski resort
Great workplace no complains
Heavenly Sports (Former Employee) –  South Lake Tahoe, CANovember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working at Vail REsorts. I thought they were a very fair equal employer who made sure to positively reinforce their employees. All of my managers were wonderful people as well as fellow employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers on vacation, but that goes with any job. Overall great experience
Pros
Lots of breaks
Cons
no real benefits
Amazing place to work
Snowboard Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vail, CONovember 10, 2016
During a typical day you would show up to a line up and meet the people that you where teaching for the day. After that i would ride with the group after talking and assessing there ability's. I would then take students and design a lesson based on what they would like to learn and or approve.
The time that i was there i learned a lot about how to communicate with people while trying to change there riding even though they may not have really wanted to change.
Most of the management was great but some of the management only cared about there numbers and statistics and not with helping you develop and improve as an instructor.
The Hardest part of the job was managing expectations of individuals.
The most enjoyable was effecting a positive change in students riding.
Pros
Snowboarding everyday
Cons
expensive living
Its real great working at Vail
Snowboard Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vail, CONovember 7, 2016
Working for Vail is great if its something you are passionate about, otherwise it can be very difficult. The work is rewarding but it is not affordable to live in/near Vail with those wages, so most employees need a second part time job.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches
Cons
Instructors should be paid more for private lessons as incentive motivation
Fun place to work!
Public Safety Officer - Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Wolcott, COAugust 23, 2016
Vail Resorts has great benefits, from the health insurance to the ski passes.

My position is relatively isolated from the rest of the company, so there aren't many opportunities for advancement. Public Safety is a great job, but I would like to move into something more aligned with my career goals.

Overall, Vail Resorts has been a great employer, and I am grateful for my time here!
Pros
Hours, Time Off, Benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Vail is a good place to work
Ski Patrol/Race Crew (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTOctober 30, 2016
Good place to work, good people at the resort level. Vail always took care of their employees and were fair. Got good discounts and ability to ski. Work life balance was good.
Pros
ski passes for family, benefits if you work more than a season, free coffee or hot chocolate
Cons
low wages, other departments had bad management, no benefits up front
Fun Work environment
Ski Instructor (Current Employee) –  Breckenridge, COAugust 17, 2016
As a ski instructor it is great from day to day working with either the same kids to different kids each day. My customer service has improved through the years of working at the company and learning how to deal with different situations. A lot of the co-workers are great when working full time you see the same people a lot and sometimes become close friends. The hardest part is working on holidays and working on the days that the temperature is below zero. The most enjoyable part is just being able to ski and share that love with children and getting them to love it just as much. Management could be a little better at certain things but over all the management has mostly been promoted within the company.
Overall fun place to work and ski of course!
Guest­service photographer (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, CONovember 15, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of photographing guests in the beautiful outdoor alpine environment of Breckenridge, Colorado. I learned that change in environment sparks inspiration and progression towards future endeavors. The management at Vail Resorts works well because they devote a lot of time and effort in making it run smoothly for the staff as well as guests. This does sometimes require strict rules and guidelines that can have negative affects on coworkers, but the company is very open to new ideas and changes as far as mechanics and logistics in order to better serve its employees. The hardest part of the job was probably the physical aspect of bearing the cold winter climate. In a way, this was also one of the most enjoyable parts of the job; to be outside in the snow all day, photographing happy people, laughing, and having a good time!
Could be better
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaver Creek, COAugust 10, 2016
There are pros and cons to this job. Not the best for the personally driven and motivated individuals that wish to have superiors that they can respect. But for a moderate resort style job, it meet basic necessities to make it tolerable.
Pros
Free meals, ski pass, etc.
Cons
Limited breaks, poor management on some levels, high stress for low reward/compensation
Current Bell captain
Bell captain (Current Employee) –  Village at BreckenridgeNovember 23, 2016
I love working for The Village at Breckenridge. We make great money the benefits are amazing.. I see people grow and move up in the company all the time if that's your choice I prefer a tip job when I live in a resort area and I've been in the valley industry for a very long time always great money
Best management
Base Area Operations (Former Employee) –  Avon, COJuly 8, 2016
Working for vail and other places I have seen my fair share of lowsy jobs and I loved my jobs that I have listed (most serious). Everyone was willing to take a few minutes a day to show me how to do something or teach me a new machine. I had received my first promotion, bonus and most gratitude at these jobs. Most days I would get to work earlier than everyone and make coffee and start trucks because I liked everyone and my job that much. The hardest part of my job was always getting new equipment in to use.Before I left Colorado we had a new stage to assemble that had less than detailed directions with it. We all got frustrated but I can manage my team I was in charge of and together we all figured it out. The most enjoyable is sittin back at the end of the day and seeing what we had accomplished.
Pros
Free lunch 1 time a week
Cons
Cold mornings
Corporate structure, fun but serious job
Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vail, CODecember 1, 2016
I loved being a ski instructor, everyday was different, some better than others depending on the class. I mostly enjoyed the skiing itself, and sharing that love with kids that had never skied before.
Pros
Free ski pass
Cons
Tough commute
Fun place to work, truly was an experience of a lifetime
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, COJune 10, 2016
I was the floor manager, in charge of operational audits, safe audits, maintaining service of guests by keeping employees informed of daily events and specials. I learned how to manage effectively in a corporate environment. Hardest part of the job would have to be getting maintenance done in the corporate environment, takes a lot of patience. The most fun part would have to have been working the Bud Light sponsored concert season. Great music and a lively atmosphere.
Pros
Free Ski Pass, Free Meals, Benefits if needed
Cons
Chain of command took some getting used to
Good for new comers only
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COJuly 30, 2016
If you are just new from a college or not in college at all, it's a good place to start and meet people. Other than that, they pay pretty badly and let the best workers just leave when they want, they don't do any effort to keep the good workers around.
Pros
Epic pass and funny people to work
Cons
Paycheck is very bad
LOVED working for Vail Resorts Ski Area...
Operator/Foreman Summer & Winter (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJune 3, 2016
*Outdoor with beautiful views. Summer & winter.
*Learned to manage time & enjoy the opportunities given me.
* Management was understanding and focused on improving the product of a great skiing experience.
*Hard working, good understanding of what needed to be done,
were not afraid to put out the effort.
*Hardest part of job-Going home.
*Enjoyable part-Going to work.
Pros
Enjoyed Skiing and the mountains.
Cons
Weather: No snow, no guest, no skiing and sometimes no work.
Upscale Diner on a mountain resort
Lead line cook (Former Employee) –  Moose, WYNovember 12, 2016
skilled in all kitchen stations
can prep for small and large groups
leadership skills
inventory
light maintenance
skilled in various kitchen equipment
Pros
being apart of the Vail company
Cons
it was in the middle of no where
good team environment
Executive DIrector Of Housekeeping and Supplies (Current Employee) –  Keystone, COSeptember 8, 2016
position is time sensitive, deadlines to meet, freedom to make things happen, developed my team and training material and doubled its size in 3 years
Pros
freedom to make things happen
Cons
hard to get breaks and lunch
Working on mountain at a ski resort makes for a great winter
Advanced cook/ Mountain hospitalities (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, COOctober 17, 2016
Early cold mornings on the lift up to work will wake you up better than a cup of coffee. Fun ski culture to be working around. Season pass is a plus!
Friendly work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vail, CONovember 7, 2016
I loved working at Vail Resorts. The wage compensation matched the amount of work required, benefits were wonderful, and the company takes great care of their employees.
Great Company
Product Sales and Services Summer Mountain (Former Employee) –  Vail, COOctober 28, 2016
Awesome place to work, be outdoors, meet new and exciting people. Lots of room for mobility, free ski pass, great benefits, and access to some of the best mountains in Colorado.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vail Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.