Vail Resorts Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work!
Public Safety Officer - Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Wolcott, COAugust 23, 2016
Vail Resorts has great benefits, from the health insurance to the ski passes.

My position is relatively isolated from the rest of the company, so there aren't many opportunities for advancement. Public Safety is a great job, but I would like to move into something more aligned with my career goals.

Overall, Vail Resorts has been a great employer, and I am grateful for my time here!
Pros
Hours, Time Off, Benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Fun Work environment
Ski Instructor (Current Employee) –  Breckenridge, COAugust 17, 2016
As a ski instructor it is great from day to day working with either the same kids to different kids each day. My customer service has improved through the years of working at the company and learning how to deal with different situations. A lot of the co-workers are great when working full time you see the same people a lot and sometimes become close friends. The hardest part is working on holidays and working on the days that the temperature is below zero. The most enjoyable part is just being able to ski and share that love with children and getting them to love it just as much. Management could be a little better at certain things but over all the management has mostly been promoted within the company.
Could be better
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaver Creek, COAugust 10, 2016
There are pros and cons to this job. Not the best for the personally driven and motivated individuals that wish to have superiors that they can respect. But for a moderate resort style job, it meet basic necessities to make it tolerable.
Pros
Free meals, ski pass, etc.
Cons
Limited breaks, poor management on some levels, high stress for low reward/compensation
Good for new comers only
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COJuly 30, 2016
If you are just new from a college or not in college at all, it's a good place to start and meet people. Other than that, they pay pretty badly and let the best workers just leave when they want, they don't do any effort to keep the good workers around.
Pros
Epic pass and funny people to work
Cons
Paycheck is very bad
Best management
Base Area Operations (Former Employee) –  Avon, COJuly 8, 2016
Working for vail and other places I have seen my fair share of lowsy jobs and I loved my jobs that I have listed (most serious). Everyone was willing to take a few minutes a day to show me how to do something or teach me a new machine. I had received my first promotion, bonus and most gratitude at these jobs. Most days I would get to work earlier than everyone and make coffee and start trucks because I liked everyone and my job that much. The hardest part of my job was always getting new equipment in to use.Before I left Colorado we had a new stage to assemble that had less than detailed directions with it. We all got frustrated but I can manage my team I was in charge of and together we all figured it out. The most enjoyable is sittin back at the end of the day and seeing what we had accomplished.
Pros
Free lunch 1 time a week
Cons
Cold mornings
Great Place to work
Cook/Front house Staff (Current Employee) –  Vail, COJuly 6, 2016
Fun environment, get to snowboard into work. Staff is incredible and the restaurant stays busy, great for active workers.
Fun
Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COJune 29, 2016
Working for Vail Resorts was an experience of a lifetime.
Great, fun and adventurous work environment.
Co-workers can become long term friends.
lift operations lead
Lift Operations lead (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COJune 14, 2016
basically i would give my guys small projects to do a day maintaining the ramp and near by areas. i would give hour lunch's to the crew and made sure everyone was coached up on the lift so they could work it efficiently.
Pros
winter pass
Cons
not enough pay
Fun place to work, truly was an experience of a lifetime
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, COJune 10, 2016
I was the floor manager, in charge of operational audits, safe audits, maintaining service of guests by keeping employees informed of daily events and specials. I learned how to manage effectively in a corporate environment. Hardest part of the job would have to be getting maintenance done in the corporate environment, takes a lot of patience. The most fun part would have to have been working the Bud Light sponsored concert season. Great music and a lively atmosphere.
Pros
Free Ski Pass, Free Meals, Benefits if needed
Cons
Chain of command took some getting used to
LOVED working for Vail Resorts Ski Area...
Operator/Foreman Summer & Winter (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJune 3, 2016
*Outdoor with beautiful views. Summer & winter.
*Learned to manage time & enjoy the opportunities given me.
* Management was understanding and focused on improving the product of a great skiing experience.
*Hard working, good understanding of what needed to be done,
were not afraid to put out the effort.
*Hardest part of job-Going home.
*Enjoyable part-Going to work.
Pros
Enjoyed Skiing and the mountains.
Cons
Weather: No snow, no guest, no skiing and sometimes no work.
An unbelievably flexable and unique environment that perfectly balanced both work and down time
Terrain Park Construction Team Member (Former Employee) –  Beaver Creek, COJune 1, 2016
Our days would start early and end late, while always having work on the whole team's plate. Terrain Park attendant is a job title with more to it than meets the eye, consisting of maintaining and catering to every need of the Terrain Parks across Beaver Creek Mountain resort. This included but not limited to, building features, both metal and snow, resetting old material, as well as creating a safe environment for the park's clientele. This job gave me a new perspective into the mechanics of how resorts operate. I took from it a larger appreciation of the magnitude of these mountains and there staff. However the sector of management I was involved in had a very small team (know as Park Crew) which only included about 14 bodies total, running on a 6 day a week schedule. The small sizes of our group natural created a close relationship between coworkers, as well as ever lasting friendships. Difficult days are bound to be plentiful in the white out conditions of Colorado's harsh winters. Whether it be snow Cats malfunctions, winter storm warnings, or feisty customers. We as a team always found a valid and respected solution to accommodate every problem presented. Ever day I found myself leaving that mountain with a smile spanning ear to ear, accompanied by a heart filled to the brims with gratitude. It might have been the people I met, The things I had seen, or what I had learned that winter. But it left me a changed man, with a greater ability of problem solving, hands on thinking, and building both personal character as well as many objects for customs to use and learn on ever  more... day of the winter seasons for years to come, seeing them smile made me smile.  less
Pros
Free lunch, ride breaks, had our owe building to work out of
Cons
long days
awesome place to work
Marketing Analytics Intern (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COMay 20, 2016
great place to work, life work balance, foos ball table, smart staff, free starbucks! Cutting edge ideas and super coworkers
great
Mountain Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, COMay 17, 2016
Outdoors, get to ski a lot if you work in the right department. Weather can be dangerous so safety is a must. Sometimes free food. Lots of discounts. Free pass. You have to love the outdoors and snow sports or its a waste of your time. Great time hard to make into a career.
Pros
outdoors
Cons
outdoors
Great place to work with enjoyable co workers
Merchandise Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 4, 2016
Vail resorts was an awesome place to work. I was in contact with a lot of people all day long. It was never a dull moment there. I worked with accounts payable to most everyone in the dc. Worked with buyers and asst buyers on a daily basis. Vendors, ltl carriers and any walk in traffic.
Pros
DISCOUNTS WERE AWESOME
Cons
TURNOVER IN MANAGEMENT
Great place to work with great people.
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COMay 3, 2016
Work was fun but very intensive. Benefits were nice and the office always had fresh food for their employee's. I also dispatched for the local fire departments which was exciting and challenging.
Retail
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAApril 3, 2016
My experience at Any Mountain is about the same as other retail workers. I learned how to talk to customers from various different backgrounds and ethnicities, and help them find the apparel or gadgets they needed.
great mountain company
professional ski patrol (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTMarch 29, 2016
The best ski company. The culture is great andean not wait until next year. Hopefully park city will grow again. My management is the best I ever had at a job.
Not an experience of a life time.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Northstar, CAMarch 27, 2016
The sad thing is I truly loved the work I did. I worked there for 4 seasons and was fired for going 2 hours over my sick time. I was well liked by my co workers.I received a number of awards for customer service. I often came in early and stayed late. I would volunteer to cover shifts. When I was off the clock I would take calls from my coworkers for trouble shooting help and support. I answered those calls happily because I cared about what my guests and co workers. I was demoted a year into my job and was expected to carry the responsibility on my shoulders while they hired a replacement. That happened twice. When I was seriously ill I was written up and had my job threatened. Then asked to work extra hours while trying to recover from pneumonia. This company may be great but my management was absolutely horrible. Managers are on the work hard play hard schedule. That means they can show up whenever and leave whenever. My boss was gone the majority of the summer. When he was there he created tension and demoralized our crew for not getting enough done. If your not a manager it a work hard work hard schedule. In 3 years I've seen my whole crew of 13 people turn over 3 times. That is astonishing to me. I really loved the work I did there but hated the way management marginalized my accomplimemts and efforts. Management would say hurtful and very insulting things, if you voiced a concern there would be retaliation. That same management has been taken to hr and written up on more than one occasion. Yet still is allowed to manage people. I was written up twice in 4 seasons. Both  more... right after being out sick with drs notes.
Overall I left Vail resort's feeling very used and unappreciated. Before I started working there I would ski 50 to 60 days a year. I haven't even put my boots on in the last 2 years. I'm sure other departments are different. Unfortunately I was not in one of those departments. It has been a truly demoralising "experience of a lifetime." To say the least.
Pros
Free pass if you have time to use it. Great benifits. Great people to work with all over the mtn.
Cons
Terrible managment, they tend to hire people as managers who have very little skills in the area they are managing, no room for growth employees get punished for illness, very high turnover rate, no real concern for health happiness or well being of there employees
Vail Resorts Is an amazing place to work full of opportunities to advance.
SNOWMAKER-RACE CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Beaver Creek, COMarch 23, 2016
A day as a snowmaker starts out with ckecking the forescast and if weather permits snowmaking is a go. After gearing up and dressing for negative temperatures turning snow guns on (if the shift before hasn't turned on any guns) is your primary task at hand. After all necessary snow guns are on it is then the task of a snowmaker to up keep quality control from there on out. Sometimes working 14+ hour days is not out of the question.
Pros
Playing in the snow. Riding snowmobiles.
Cons
Frostbite and hypothermia
Great work environment
Ski Instructor (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTFebruary 27, 2016
Vail resorts offers great benefits for their employees and a comfortable working environment. I have had a great experience working for Vail.
Pros
Free epic pass
Cons
not always guaranteed work