Vail Resorts Employee Reviews in United States

Not an experience of a life time.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Northstar, CAMarch 27, 2016
The sad thing is I truly loved the work I did. I worked there for 4 seasons and was fired for going 2 hours over my sick time. I was well liked by my co workers.I received a number of awards for customer service. I often came in early and stayed late. I would volunteer to cover shifts. When I was off the clock I would take calls from my coworkers for trouble shooting help and support. I answered those calls happily because I cared about what my guests and co workers. I was demoted a year into my job and was expected to carry the responsibility on my shoulders while they hired a replacement. That happened twice. When I was seriously ill I was written up and had my job threatened. Then asked to work extra hours while trying to recover from pneumonia. This company may be great but my management was absolutely horrible. Managers are on the work hard play hard schedule. That means they can show up whenever and leave whenever. My boss was gone the majority of the summer. When he was there he created tension and demoralized our crew for not getting enough done. If your not a manager it a work hard work hard schedule. In 3 years I've seen my whole crew of 13 people turn over 3 times. That is astonishing to me. I really loved the work I did there but hated the way management marginalized my accomplimemts and efforts. Management would say hurtful and very insulting things, if you voiced a concern there would be retaliation. That same management has been taken to hr and written up on more than one occasion. Yet still is allowed to manage people. I was written up twice in 4 seasons. Both  more... right after being out sick with drs notes.
Overall I left Vail resort's feeling very used and unappreciated. Before I started working there I would ski 50 to 60 days a year. I haven't even put my boots on in the last 2 years. I'm sure other departments are different. Unfortunately I was not in one of those departments. It has been a truly demoralising "experience of a lifetime." To say the least.
Pros
Free pass if you have time to use it. Great benifits. Great people to work with all over the mtn.
Cons
Terrible managment, they tend to hire people as managers who have very little skills in the area they are managing, no room for growth employees get punished for illness, very high turnover rate, no real concern for health happiness or well being of there employees
great mountain company
professional ski patrol (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTMarch 29, 2016
The best ski company. The culture is great andean not wait until next year. Hopefully park city will grow again. My management is the best I ever had at a job.
Fun place if you value skiing and being outdoors
Operations (Former Employee) –  Northstar, CAFebruary 1, 2016
HORRIBLE pay, not competitive in the area among other ski resorts and not competitive for the Truckee area. Seasonal employee's can only afford to stay here if 1) their parents are footing the bill 2) 10 of them rent a house together to live.

There is a huge discrepancy between well paid employee's and the majority of the working minions. There is little growth opportunity.

The mountain is small and geared toward families that don't mind paying top dollar to have ski school baby sit their kids.
Pros
ski pass
Cons
bad pay, little growth opportunity
Best management
Base Area Operations (Former Employee) –  Avon, COJuly 8, 2016
Working for vail and other places I have seen my fair share of lowsy jobs and I loved my jobs that I have listed (most serious). Everyone was willing to take a few minutes a day to show me how to do something or teach me a new machine. I had received my first promotion, bonus and most gratitude at these jobs. Most days I would get to work earlier than everyone and make coffee and start trucks because I liked everyone and my job that much. The hardest part of my job was always getting new equipment in to use.Before I left Colorado we had a new stage to assemble that had less than detailed directions with it. We all got frustrated but I can manage my team I was in charge of and together we all figured it out. The most enjoyable is sittin back at the end of the day and seeing what we had accomplished.
Pros
Free lunch 1 time a week
Cons
Cold mornings
Fun place to work, truly was an experience of a lifetime
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, COJune 10, 2016
I was the floor manager, in charge of operational audits, safe audits, maintaining service of guests by keeping employees informed of daily events and specials. I learned how to manage effectively in a corporate environment. Hardest part of the job would have to be getting maintenance done in the corporate environment, takes a lot of patience. The most fun part would have to have been working the Bud Light sponsored concert season. Great music and a lively atmosphere.
Pros
Free Ski Pass, Free Meals, Benefits if needed
Cons
Chain of command took some getting used to
Awful Company to Work For, Sad Days Ahead for Park City
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTFebruary 19, 2016
Terrible, Terrible management. Little pay for what they require you to do and will over work their staff. Overall it's an embarrassing company and no big surprise they have such a large turn over. Sad day for Park City, Utah when Vail forced their way in.
Pros
Fun people to work around
Cons
TERRIBLE MANAGMENT
High Growth Mode
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, CODecember 15, 2015
A majority of employee's leave this company due to low compensation. Raises on average equal 3% per year, so negotiate high when onboarding.
Pros
Ski Pass
Cons
Pay
Strong work life balance, but poor compensation
Alpine Slide Attendant (Current Employee) –  Breckenridge, COJuly 8, 2015
Vail is a great place to work if you are looking to work for them for a short, fun experience in a cool place. However, all of their upper management is hired from outside the company, which makes for a less than ideal management structure and culture. The wages are barely livable for where they operate out of (living expenses etc.).
Pros
Fun co-workers, outdoors
Cons
short breaks, long hours, low pay, bad management
LOVED working for Vail Resorts Ski Area...
Operator/Foreman Summer & Winter (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJune 3, 2016
*Outdoor with beautiful views. Summer & winter.
*Learned to manage time & enjoy the opportunities given me.
* Management was understanding and focused on improving the product of a great skiing experience.
*Hard working, good understanding of what needed to be done,
were not afraid to put out the effort.
*Hardest part of job-Going home.
*Enjoyable part-Going to work.
Pros
Enjoyed Skiing and the mountains.
Cons
Weather: No snow, no guest, no skiing and sometimes no work.
Vail Resorts Is an amazing place to work full of opportunities to advance.
SNOWMAKER-RACE CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Beaver Creek, COMarch 23, 2016
A day as a snowmaker starts out with ckecking the forescast and if weather permits snowmaking is a go. After gearing up and dressing for negative temperatures turning snow guns on (if the shift before hasn't turned on any guns) is your primary task at hand. After all necessary snow guns are on it is then the task of a snowmaker to up keep quality control from there on out. Sometimes working 14+ hour days is not out of the question.
Pros
Playing in the snow. Riding snowmobiles.
Cons
Frostbite and hypothermia
Best Job for Ski Bums
Ski School Booking Agent/Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Vail, COSeptember 15, 2015
Vail is the perfect place is you want to get away and work at a ski resort and break into one of the most powerful resort ownership and management companies in the world. The jobs are seasonal but if you work hard they'll keep you on for as many seasons as you can work. The pay isn't the best but they subsidize your housing and if you work at the mountain you can get away with anything in the area and you'll always get free drinks at bars or epic deals on ski equipment. You'll meet some of the most powerful people in the world and some treat you poorly but some are amazing and if you network properly you can go very far from working on the front lines. Your co-workers are the best people in the world and management is super cool. The perks and benefits are out of control and you'll get pro deal discounts on like 500 brands 50-80% off on some of the top of the line gear. You'll work long hours but the job is really easy, you get a ton of free gear and basically live and work with your best friends while living and breathing skiing/snowboarding in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Also I got pulled over doing well over the speed limit on my way to work when I was late one day and the officer let me go because I was a local.
Pros
You work at one of the most famous mountains in the world, work with awesome people, easy work, amazing lifestyle, insane discounts on ski gear, huge room for growth and great stepping stone to move up
Cons
Long hours, some rude customers, management isn't open to suggestions
Great work environment
Ski Instructor (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTFebruary 27, 2016
Vail resorts offers great benefits for their employees and a comfortable working environment. I have had a great experience working for Vail.
Pros
Free epic pass
Cons
not always guaranteed work
A great place to meet new people from all around the world
Rental Tech Lead (Current Employee) –  Lions Head Children's Ski SchoolsFebruary 11, 2016
Working for Vail Resorts is a great way to built a strong resume, meet new people, and move up in the company. I have learned important skills like, Leadership towards a team, scheduling, guest service, organization, and coaching. My relationship with my coworkers is best described as a small family. My favorite part of my job are my coworkers. The hardest part of the job for me is dealing with unhappy guests regardless of the reason, because at Vail Resorts our main goal is providing the experience of a lifetime.
Pros
Free lunches, Great people, Free Ski Pass
Cons
Long days, occasional rude guests
Fun Company
Reservations Documents Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COFebruary 8, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Vail Resorts, I wish I could've remained there longer. In my opinion, the company is fair to their employees, and the perks and benefits are amazing.
Pros
Perks, Perks, Perks!
Cons
Lack of Employee Housing in the Ski towns
Great place to work with enjoyable co workers
Merchandise Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 4, 2016
Vail resorts was an awesome place to work. I was in contact with a lot of people all day long. It was never a dull moment there. I worked with accounts payable to most everyone in the dc. Worked with buyers and asst buyers on a daily basis. Vendors, ltl carriers and any walk in traffic.
Pros
DISCOUNTS WERE AWESOME
Cons
TURNOVER IN MANAGEMENT
great
Mountain Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, COMay 17, 2016
Outdoors, get to ski a lot if you work in the right department. Weather can be dangerous so safety is a must. Sometimes free food. Lots of discounts. Free pass. You have to love the outdoors and snow sports or its a waste of your time. Great time hard to make into a career.
Pros
outdoors
Cons
outdoors
lift operations lead
Lift Operations lead (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COJune 14, 2016
basically i would give my guys small projects to do a day maintaining the ramp and near by areas. i would give hour lunch's to the crew and made sure everyone was coached up on the lift so they could work it efficiently.
Pros
winter pass
Cons
not enough pay
fantastic place to work.
Guest Attendant, Beaver Creek Resort (Former Employee) –  avon,coSeptember 9, 2015
Arrive at work at 7:30 am and set parking lot up. Stand and direct cars and people offering exceptional customer service. Eat lunch and move to the base of the chairlifts to help patrons make it back to their vehicles and provide any customer service type issues they need. I learned great customer service skills. Management was very responsive to any problems the employees had. My coworkers have become my very close friends. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry or irate patrons. The most enjoyable part of my job was living and working in the beautiful rocky mountains.
Walmart
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 29, 2015
stocking staff and do my job i learned from there how to speak to the costumers and my managers and the supervisors they were too good nice doing them job and nice with the employees and my co- workers were very respectful to work with. We were very helpful with each other. The hardest part of my job was probably just stocking merchandise behind the fridge. What i enjoyed most about job was working with the cashiers in from the store. It was very pleasant working with then because we would always help each other out.
Pros
no free lunches
Cons
30 mins for lunch and 30 mins breaks and get paid for it
Individual Sales Execution and Growth
Regional Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Edwards, COSeptember 10, 2015
Working for a publicly traded company - the number one emphasis working in sales was driving strong financial results at low costs, meeting budgets and growing overall contribution each quarter. The business experience with Vail is invaluable. I learned how to drive sales on my own, going out and creating relationships with existing and new accounts. As time went on, I was able to grow my communication skills, sales strategies and time management to focus on the accounts with the most revenue potential.
Pros
Great business experience