Vail Resorts Employee Reviews

More work than there was time
Conference Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Dillon, COSeptember 19, 2017
Often times there was more group events to plan for than a normal eight hour work day could allow. Besides receiving information from event organizers late and trying to schedule all activities, last minute groups would also be assigned. Once the event was taking place, it was a constant concern of who could be calling for what, which also meant the conference manager needed to be on site to ensure the event ran smoothly.
Great Company - Poor Local Management
Retail Managemnt (Former Employee) –  South Lake Tahoe, CASeptember 19, 2017
Though Vail Resorts is a great company to work for, most of my issues with management were at the local level. I was severely under-compensated during my time as a manager.
Profit > Quality
Child Alpine Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, COSeptember 18, 2017
Honestly, Vail Resorts is meant to be a revolving door of employees except for a select few.

It is more cost effective to constantly turn over the work force rather than invest in the individuals actively employed.

Advancement was not based on ability but rather on the number of years you had been able to put up with working for Vail.

If it was not for the employee housing (only lasts a year and is only subsidized) I would have quit a lot earlier.

They work you hard and care little about the quality of the product they sell.
Pros
Free ski pass ($600 value)
Cons
Loss of your soul, Long hours, Incompetent supervisors
Great Ideas at the Executive Level - Poor execution at the Mgr level
IT Analyst II / Telecom OSP (Current Employee) –  Avon, COSeptember 17, 2017
The executives of Vail Resorts really do try to make the company a great place to work. However, there is an ingrained culture of very poor management at the lower levels that hamstring the initiatives almost every time.
Pros
Free ski pass
Cons
Poor Management
Valet
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vail, COSeptember 2, 2017
Working at Vail Cascade resort and spa we did whatever it takes, whatever the way to prove and deliver the best service bar none. I exemplified what a hard worker is.
Arrabelle Resort
Guest Service Agent/Door Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vail, COSeptember 2, 2017
I liked working at the Arrabelle resort, we have a great and talent staff that does what it takes to provide the best customer service in the vail valley.
great company
Front of House Supervisor (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Vail, COSeptember 1, 2017
fun work environment, unbeatable views, if you enjoy skiing or snowboarding, or mountain life in general, it's a great place to work. management was great and attentive
Buen ambiente de trabajo
Hotel Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Vail, COAugust 31, 2017
Trabajar en esta empresa fue genial, pues mi desempeño creo fue buena.. aprendi varias cosas y me gusto..
Pros
Seguro medico
stressful
Snow Maker (Current Employee) –  Northstar, CAAugust 30, 2017
very stressfull with EXTREMELY POOR management. constanly leaving workers to unsafe and dangerous conditions with unsafe non osha safe equipment. frayed tie downs. not strong enough for what we are carrying
Pros
ski pass
Cons
short breaks
Good place
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COAugust 29, 2017
A fun, relaxing place to work, met a lot of good people who will be friends for life. It was a seasonal position, the pay wasn't good, but I had cheap cost of living.
Experience of a Lifetime
Sr. IT Applications Manager (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COAugust 23, 2017
Vail Resorts truly provided me the opportunity to merge my career goals with my lifestyle ambitions.

Vail provided me an opportunity to grow, and I am forever grateful.
Fast paced resort town environment
Assistant Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Breckenridge, COAugust 21, 2017
I have been able to grow as a leader in Vail Resorts. However, there are opportunities for Vail as a company that they could improve on, such as competitive pay and employee housing.
Pros
Time off during the off seasons, good benefits, free ski pass
Cons
Hourly pay or salary is considerably low to industry average
Friendly and fun workplace
Head Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  South Lake Tahoe, CAAugust 14, 2017
I loved working for Vail. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually working with a lot of great people from all over the world, being surrounded with beatiful atmosphere of nature. Fun and life changing experience.
Ambiente laboral divertido
Cajera, Supervisora de uno de los Stands (Former Employee) –  Summit County, UTAugust 9, 2017
El idioma ingles fue practicado todo el tiempo, no solo con los clientes, sino con los mismos trabajadores y el manager principal. El clima laboral ayudo bastante a la adaptación de este trabajo fuera de país. Estuve a cargo de la venta de bebidas alcoholicas, sobretodo en fechas claves como año nuevo, Navidad y el día del Presidente, dentro de las cuales la cantidad de personas es bastante grande; sin embargo, contaba con el apoyo de mis demás compañeros en todo momento.
Pros
Buen Clima Laboral
Cons
No pertenece al rubro de Psicología
Great place to start after moving
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  South Lake Tahoe, CAAugust 5, 2017
Vail was a great company to work for starting out my new chapter when moving to the mountains. However, I recommend, finding another job in town soon after, odds are, it will pay more, and its a lot less work. Working for Vail (unless working at Kirkwood or in Australia) is VERY cooperate. Extremely poor communication between management and entry level employees. Very little opportunity to move up and make a career out of it. There is not much job security, even when wanting to work season to season. Very little investment in new employees who actually have the potential to be future managers. There is a reason why Vail is ALWAYS hiring.

If you are wanting to work for the ski pass, you come out better getting a better paying job in town and just buying one. Or working for another company.
Pros
Ski Pass
Cons
Management, Scheduling, Communication, No Affordable Housing
Fun work environment if you're on the right team
Operations and Reservation Manager (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COAugust 4, 2017
Fun environment with lots of perks but compensation is well below market value. The management appears to treat employees well but beneath the surface employees are an easily replaced commodity which contributes to a constant brain drain.
I found that promotion was impossible and they would prefer to hire external candidates but this may have improved since I left... they kept saying that they were working it. Turn over and burn through is a real issue.
If you know the game it can be a fun and challenging environment with lots of variation to keep you on your toes and engaged. I had a lot of fun running my department over the years.

PS the HR department is a real pain to work with so if you find a position you are interested in you have to keep on them. It may take months to get hired.
Pros
constantly changing, free ski pass, occasional free meal, discounted lodging etc
Cons
poor management, poor HR department
Amazing ski industry opportunities with Vail.
Food Service Worker 3/ Culinary Student (Former Employee) –  Keystone, COAugust 2, 2017
Vail is the leading ski resort management company in the world, and they got there by providing outstanding ski destination experiences.
Management all the way down to service workers are treated fairly and the ski pass benefits rival anyone else’s.
Pros
Great environment, beautiful locations, awesome multi-mountain free ski passes
Cons
Expensive to live in many areas, especially Breckenridge and Vail. There are housing shortages in most, and Vail’s employee housing is very limited.
Great experience
Housekeeping Inspector (Former Employee) –  Moose, WYAugust 1, 2017
Worked at summer at Colter Bay. It was great to be able to visit the Tetons. Work wasn't overbearing so there was ample time to visit the mountains and see Yellowstone. The general manager is excellent and it's worth working there for at least one summer.
Great place
Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJuly 29, 2017
A great place to work but customer service can be stressful. the couture and management was great and of course, mountains!! skiing, gondola Colorado!!
Great company culture - Fun place to work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Breckenridge, COJuly 28, 2017
Vail Resorts allows me to work in an incredible environment and to be a part of a great workplace culture. Not only in the winter, but the summer as well.
Pros
Epic Pass, Mountain Lifestyle

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vail Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.