Vail Resorts

Vail Resorts Employer Reviews

Top notch resort to work and play.
Bilingual Ski Instructor (Former Employee), Vail, COJuly 31, 2013
As a ski instructor in my first year out of college, I absolutely loved Vail. The money was pretty good for such an enjoyable job, but of course that is not the reason for being there--it's the people and the skiing. Vail's ski school employees work hard, play hard and ski hard, and I would highly recommend the mountain as a place to work!
Fun work place
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Vail, COJuly 28, 2013
Pros: snowboarding for free
Cons: the summers
Vail is somewhere that you can be who you want to be, have a fun day working on maintence on the hills and on the snow trucks and the pipe cutters. the maintenance on the buildings was easy and the job provided housing.
the SSV retail division will not value you!
Colorado Ski and Golf (Former Employee), ColoradoJuly 24, 2013
Pros: season pass..... that is it!!!
Cons: all levels of management, there is no employee or customer loyalty, horrible pay, horrible employee discounts and perks, no job security or oppurtunity for advancement, skills and knowledge are not valued.
Words cannot express how bad this place is to work nowadays. We used have fun by selling fun (a gread old company motto). Now Vail Resorts owns it, and with the changes (none really positive) that have been made, there is none of that and sales and customers have dropped. It's become a dreary place where everyone is unhappy. I guess that's what happens – more... in the Vail Resorts, you lose touch with your employees and customers because they are meaningless replacable numbers.
Value, Loyalty, Skill and Knowledge mean nothing to this company and they will show you that. It's really kinda sad, as this company used to be so awesome to work for. – less
Great location and work environment.
Head Houseman (Former Employee), Vail, COJuly 14, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: housing can be pricey compared to wages due to location.
The company is one of the top resorts in the country. Its in a great location. There is ample advancement opportunity. You get to meet a lot of great people from all over the world.
Seasonal
Lead Infant Care Provider (Former Employee), Breckenridge, COJuly 11, 2013
If you want to live and work in the mountains then this job is the one for you. It doesn't pay well but the schedule is flexible and it is a seasonal position.
Great Workplace
Snowboard Ride Pro - Instructor (Former Employee), Breckenridge, COJune 27, 2013
Snowboard Instructor
Best job ever!!
instruct guests on the proper techniques of snowboarding
Great place to work with an emphasis on work life balance.
F&B Outlets General Manager (Current Employee), Keystone, COJune 7, 2013
Pros: free skiing, and discounted golf and other amenities.
Cons: strong corporate atmosphere, long winters.
The Keystone Lodge & Spa is a wonderful place to work. There is a distinct family atmoshere and commradery amongst employees.
Accountability, best practices and constant improvement are emphasised along with strong values.
Quality driven front of house and back of house teams
Game Creek Club Assistant Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), Vail, COMay 31, 2013
Pros: high quality team work environment
Cons: no pto/ sick accrual, limited health insurance options, low pay
Prepare restaurant and team for daily service, Prepare revenue reports & cash bank, Excellent guest service through training of employees & anticipation of guest needs, Hand over pertinent information to PM manager.
Learned more about & got better at managing relationships with clients & employees.
Limited direct supervision, looked up to as a leader – more... throughout the restaurant operation.
The hardest part of any job is to not physically be able to meet the requests of the guest such as a table during peak hours when there are no tables remaining. Managing guest expectations through communication, such as during the reservations process, assists mitigating guest dissatisfaction.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with a team that was quality driven from top to bottom, from front to back. Exceeding the guest expectation was at the fore front of every employees mind and showed through in their actions. Training was a joy as the employees all wanted to learn and applied what I taught them. – less
A fun winter job with great coworkers but a confusing management structure.
Ski Instructor (Former Employee), Breckenridge, COMay 28, 2013
Pros: great coworkers with similar passions in a ski town.
Cons: extremely expensive town with very low pay and a tight housing market.
This is not a job that will provide a comfortable living for a first year instructor, however some of the more seasoned ski instructors make reasonable amounts of money with tips and an unparalleled work environment. It takes a month to figure out who will be the manager on a given day in a given area, but most of the people promoted to manager are – more... very capable and helpful. Tips are extremely unpredictable and intermittent. – less
Worst company ever
Keystone Lodge Front Desk/Head Concierge (Current Employee), Keystone, COMay 16, 2013
Pros: ski pass
Cons: everything
low wages, high turnover rate, horrible benefits, horrible company
Good Perks with Bad Management
Operations (Former Employee), Summit County CoMay 15, 2013
Pros: ski pass, discount meals
Cons: politics, high turn over rate
Very enjoyable workplace with good co-workers. Unfortunately this industry is not really stable. Turn over is crazy from the top to the bottom.

During my time with Vail I saw a lot of co-workers from many departments getting laid off, fired or not get the hours they were promised depending on how busy the weekend is.

If your looking for a winter job – more... for the pass and good memories do it. Long term you will face a lot of politics on all levels.

Cheers – less
Great job management is terrable
Front office clerk (Former Employee), Horizon pass lodgeMay 6, 2013
Pros: lift ticket
Cons: everything about management
Loved the job at horizon pass lodge supervisor was great but manager was horriabl. No one one was on the same page so many times one person tells you one way and another person it was different. Mgr always shouting to supv from her office contradicting her training. It was bad. Vail Resorts seems like a good company to employees but try talking to them – more... about bad management and no one will support you. I talked with human resource s several times no support at all. Won t recommend them to anyone – less
Vail Resorts
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee), Keystone, COMay 5, 2013
Pros: location, free ski passes
Cons: everything but location and free ski passes
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. The job, management, and coworkers I dealt with directly were satisfactory: Vail corp itself is the quintessential soulless corporation. Vail does not see its employees as anything but a disposable resource. Since they are located in vacation spots, there is always someone who will be ready to take – more... your place as an employee and Vail holds this over your head constantly. I saw too many people get fired for miniscule reasons (usually resulting in a drug test that includes marijuana) near the end of a slow ski season obviously in order to thin their workforce without having to pay out unemployment. In addition to this, many had employee housing which were forced to vacate within only 3 days (this is somehow legal for Vail). The police also more than routinely show up at employee housing, dozens of times a week, and although the official police must respect your rights, Vail's private security force can enter any on-property residence and search at their discretion (at which point they can invite the police) as well as detain individuals.
If you get a job with Vail, my advice is this: start looking for another job and place to live as soon as you arrive at your new location, because otherwise there is a good chance both will be stripped from you on a whim. – less
The overall best place I have ever worked!
Customer Service (Current Employee), Vail, CoApril 21, 2013
Pros: discounts on merchandise
Cons: customers criticizing your floral arrangments
In a typical day we process flowers in the morning then arrange any pre-ordered daily arrangements. Take new orders for flowers while selling any gifts to customers. Then deliver the flowers. The owner is fabulous and supportive. My co-workers help me learn new styles of floral design. the hardest part of the job is time management, We are always busy – more... and staying prepared is essential. The most enjoyable part is that i get to make people smile and feel special when I deliver to them. – less
This place is my HOME
Product Sales, Night Auditor, Call Center (Current Employee), Keystone, Breckenridge, BroomfieldMarch 31, 2013
Pros: supportive, caring, work environment with people who appreciate you, skiing and playing at the most beautiful resorts
Cons: seasonal nurture of work means no work during mud season (may)!
I have to post, because I really don't understand the negative reviews. I am a 46 year old woman who has been working part-time for vail resorts for the last 5 years in a variety of capacities. Everyplace I have worked within the company has become like family. We all support each other through the BS in the other parts of our lives, and it truly is – more... a safe haven in every way. Further, if your desire is to move up to decent paying jobs within the company, there are plenty of opportunities. If you want to enjoy easy part-time work at some of the most beautiful places on earth, well this is the right place. – less
co workers great management SUCKS
mountain services (Former Employee), beaver creekFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: got to live in mountains, free ski pass
Cons: pretty much everything else employe housing to the job to the one break a day
I hold other seasonal jobs with housing buildings that ar no where near as nice as these but they still manage to mess this upx heroin addicts. Upper management don't understand anything of reality on the mountainand I'm even seeing one of my new bosses change into one. I won't be coming back
Awful Place to Work
Customer Service/ Pass sales and lift tickets (Former Employee), Broomfield ColoradoFebruary 17, 2013
Cons: everything
Management sucks all the do is sit at there desks and drink STARBUCKS ALL DAY !!!!!
The phones were so busy customers were rude. Do you think the team leads would help out??? NO.

VR all they do is use you.. with low pay. There always hiring "I wonder Why"?? If it was a great place to work people would not leave...... Please look else where. I left – more... and so did many others. – less
Fun Place to work
Laborer (Former Employee), Breckenridge, COFebruary 1, 2013
I was on the coaster crew so i would show up drive up the hill after getting the work instruction and complete the job
Great culture
Product Sales Agent (Current Employee), Breckenridge, COJanuary 25, 2013
Vail has a great culture and they make plenty of time for you to enjoy yourself. It is always a great experience, if for a season or a career.
I would never work for Vail again.
Houskeeping Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Keystone, ColoradoJanuary 23, 2013
Cons: staff
When I first began working for Vail it seemed like a great company with great goals and as time went on I quickly saw all of the negative things I had heard were true.

Whoever does the hiring does a horrible job. Basically working with my fellow employees is like working at a frat house. All everyone does is party, do drugs, and came here for the ski/snowboard – more... benefits so they don't take their job seriously. Every day people call in "sick", people go home early, and there's no responsibility or accountability. It's almost as if Vail caters to their poor work ethic making it easy for them to be slackers. Management doesn't want to give their employees any responsibility or more than they can "handle" so things that should be part of their job description are ignored and pushed on to the few responsible people at work.

The benefits are great, but because Vail makes it so easy for people to take advantage of their benefits there doesn't seem to be an incentive to earn them or use them responsibly. It's sad that people can't get benefits and do their job, but that's the reality we live in so I believe there should be some sort of earn and gain within the company to ensure people are here to not only play, but work.

One positive is that because I am a hard worker and I am literally the only one in my new staff that has never called in "sick", never shown up late, or never requested a holiday off I did get promoted and with that came a raise. It is definitely nice to be recognized for working hard and earning a deserved promotion.

Another negative is Employee housing. I would never live in Sunrise Employee Housing again.

My boyfriend & I are paying close to 400$ a month to clean up after our suite mates (who share our kitchen & bathroom). They leave food out for days, never wash their dishes, leave crumbs and spills all over the counters, and everything we touch (handles of microwave, fridge, sink knobs, etc) are coated in grease. We've had to use our sink in our personal room to wash our dishes because the big sink in the kitchen is always too full of dirty dishes and food. We've also never used the dishwasher, because they have taken it over as a dirty dish storage area. They also don't flush the toilet and leave it very dirty.. if you know what I mean.

I've made multiple reports, taken photos, talked to three different people in the housing department and every time they pretend they are going to do something and nothing changes. We've called the cops because they party so loud, yell, scream, play music loud at 3am, etc. and all housing has done is offer to change our apartment. So instead of them being punished they wanted to allow them to stay and make a mess of the apartment and let those who are following rules and upkeep move.

The price is way to high to be living in a college dorm room type of situation cleaning up after people and dealing with parties when there is no punishment. The rules clearly state you'll be removed if you don't obey certain guide lines and it's a total joke. I will never live here again and I don't suggest it, especially if you have early work hours and want decent sleep. – less

About Vail Resorts

Vail Resorts hopes the ski vacation business is all uphill. One of┬áNorth America's┬áleading ski resort operators, Vail Resorts – Read more