Valcom Employee Reviews

A company that felt like home.
Lead Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 16, 2016
I grew up at Valcom. A typical day for me was fun and always educational, I constantly experienced different scenarios that taught me valuable lessons. I was given enough freedom to explore my role and set a standard based on my performance. Management did not micromanage and always respected me enough to listen. I learned to be assertive, research any questions or concerns, and to lead by a higher standard. The hardest part of working at Valcom was learning the ins and outs of multiple departments and how it pertained to me. At the same time, that was also the most enjoyable part. The flexibility and freedom I had to spread my wings and dive into other departments and learn how a process effects the building as a whole was without parallel.
Good wages and benefits
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILJanuary 23, 2014
Valcom offers good wages and benefits. Supervisors will only give minimum supervision so you need to be able to work on your own and get good results or you won't last long.

This company has one of the longest sets of rules I have ever seen (the section on dress code for acceptable ties is a half page by itself, makeup for the ladies is over a page) but if you follow it and do your job, you will do fine at Valcom.

Supervision is at a minimum at best but you are expected to generate results. It is VERY easy to get complacent and slack off but don't do it! Management may not say much about it but they ARE watching you and they DO notice how well you are doing your job.
Pros
Great job enviroment. Good wages and benefits.
Cons
Excessive dress code
Fun, motivating
Sales Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 27, 2013
Helped start three divisions of Valcom. All were successful. Inside Sales for products
Pros
Management positive
Cons
Constantly changing environment and fresh air every day
IT Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MONovember 4, 2014
There was no typical day here. Every single day held a different adventure. I might be installing software for an insurance firm one day only to come in the next day to be sent to a smelting plant to install their new computers and clean out their printers. I became very skilled at learning everything I could about a network or system as quickly as possible in order to resolve whatever issues were waiting for me.
The most difficult part was the challenge of finding reliable resources to help with some of the more difficult issues.
I became proficient at researching and investigating issues before I traveled to the job site by simply asking the right questions and gathering the resources I needed. I learned something new every single day. My mind was never idle and neither was any working day. The people I worked with were fun and upbeat and the managers were encouraging and motivating.
Since I was constantly driving from one job to the next, I was able to get plenty of fresh air and exercise.
Pros
Encouraging environment, never a dull day, constant challenges
Cons
Finding reliable backup or resources to help with troubleshooting
Excellent communication between management and staff personnel.
3rd Shift Operator (Current Employee) –  Mesirow FinancialFebruary 9, 2013
Very good company to work for overall. The night shift (12:00 am til 08:00 am) is excellent as there is reliability on the personnel working that shift.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no establishments locally for meals
Small company, limited resources
Computer Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 10, 2015
Not much to say other than this company was a good starting point for me to get me going onto bigger and better things. The owner was a very strict but fair person.
Great hours.
Manufacturing Assembler (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 12, 2014
We work 4 10 hour days - Monday - Thursday. The job I do is easy. The supervision is good. I just wish it would pay better.
Pros
hours
Cons
pay
they suck
Jr Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MAJune 13, 2012
They drop you like a bad habbit when the contract is over. Never heard from them after my contract to even see if they could place me again. They are not ones for a good partnership.
Family Oriented
Configuration Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 29, 2013
I really enjoyed my job. They are very caring. Overall, this position taught me a great deal about how to work in a corporate environment.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Building is dirty