Valdosta State University Employee Reviews

Not a good environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAFebruary 6, 2018
There is little if no room for career advancement. The University is full of stagnant minded individuals who do not care for the little man. For an institute of learning, the staff are not treated well.
Easy way to get in some studying and get paid at the same time.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 23, 2018
It was a break from classes each day and time that allowed me to not burden my family at home with me doing homework. All of my work was able to be accomplished in the lab during work hours with the occasional break to help someone.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Sometimes boring
Great place with friendly coworkers
BUILDING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 16, 2018
Easy job with great coworkers, student body, and instructors. Loved it. Management was very helpful and stepped in to help when needed. The workplace culture was diverse and fair. The hardest part of the job was locking up and leaving after dark. But campus security was always available to escort you to your vehicle if you had concerns about safety. I would recommend working for the university to anyone.
Pros
People, Location, Length of schedule
Cons
Hours
Graduate Assisntship
Graduate Assistant Athletic Bands (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 12, 2018
Valdosta State University is great for graduate assisntship position in the music department. The Department Chair, Dean of the School of Fine Arts and professors will help you with any problem or help you get in contact with proper person or department of Valdosta State University to help you. My tuition cost was completely waived and out-of-state fees were waived. There is some college campus politics that heppen and can make things a little stressful. I enjoyed my time there and recieved a great education and preparation for my music educator career after I graduated.
Pros
Professors and staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable
Cons
small benefits because of part-time work
Main Job duties
Graduate Assistant for Intramural/Club Sports (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 19, 2017
During my time as a graduate assistant of competitive sports at Valdosta State University I was in charge of scheduling and training employees, maintaining budget of the intramural and clubs, and special events that may occur such as sport tournaments. I enjoyed working with the student body and being able to directly effect the students on campus activities. I learned many professional skills such as marketing, managing budgets, collaborative efforts for special program planning, and how to manage a staff of 30+ student employees.
Pros
Enjoyable work, being involved in programming and interacting with staff and participants
Cons
Not much free time
Helped with after school
Valdosta Girls and Boys Club Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GeorgiaNovember 6, 2017
The boys and girls club was a volunteer activity I took part of. It was great because I helped with homework and snacks to kids who came after their school day was complete.
Excellent Management
Second Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 31, 2017
This was the best job I have ever had in terms of work-life balance and overall job satisfaction. However, the lack of benefits and career growth made my position tough to live on. The school itself is wonderful to work for.
Pros
Career Options
Cons
May not provide benefits, depending on the position.
Valdosta rec center
Weight Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 23, 2017
I enjoyed working there. the staff was great, the hours were very flexible and since i live on campus I walked to work. I just think that we should be able to work more hours if we wanted to and should have been poor more than minimum wage because we had to be CPR certified. I think that's worth a lot more than working for 7.25.
Enjoyable atmosphere
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GA 31698August 30, 2017
Working at the University was a joy. I learned alot about the process of university life for the students. Organized activities with the students and faculty.
Pros
working with the students
Beautiful Campus
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 30, 2017
Valdosta State University has a great campus feel with beautiful buildings and landscaping. I enjoy the pace of the campus life and assisting students, faculty, staff, administration, and the surrounding communities. A typical work day is fast pace and at time very stressful but manageable. And I must say, I work with a great group of people.
Quick paced
Student Health Center, Admin (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 24, 2017
This was a quick paced job where everyone worked as a team. Accuracy and proficiency was a very big part of working at the Student Health Center. At the end of the day, it is always about helping the Students feel and be successful.
Good
CS LEAD ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 23, 2017
Great environment. The learning experience in college about management was important to pick up on. I understand culture more than I've thought of in the past.
Highly Political atmosphere. Student's welfare is not an interest to Upper Management.
Professor of Mass Media (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 22, 2017
There is no care or concern for employees and students by the HR department. Faculty are more concerned about jockeying for position rather than teaching.
Pros
Interaction with students, and assisting with their projects.
Cons
Horrible HR Department; members do not care at all about faculty's stations in life.
What I have learned
Volunteer / Student (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 12, 2017
Valdosta State University was a great university. Due to the desire to increase student size, the university has dropped many admissions criteria which in turn has lead to less than average students. The staff is not paid well and it is beginning to show with the lack of classes available to the students.
supportive work place
Arabic Teaching Assisstant - Fulbright Program (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 12, 2017
I loved working at VSU. professors and staff are supportive and responsive to the challenges and issues that one may have. People are open to different cultures which makes it an enriching environment. I love meeting people from different countries. I've made friends for life at VSU.
Learned a lot
Undergraduate Researcher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAAugust 8, 2017
Faculty members were great.
Student life and personal life was fun to shuffle around.
Close to beaches to take a weekend trip out of town to Florida.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 27, 2017
Management was very fair when it came to family obligations. Calm atmosphere and friendly coworkers. Pay scale very low with fair benefits. Met many people from different walks of life.
adequate part time
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Camden County, GAJuly 16, 2017
teach chemistry two nights per week
just not sure about facilities at Coastal College each term
small faculty good interaction
management very supportive
Pros
close to home
Cons
part time
Calm, slow-paced atmosphere with friendly staff.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 20, 2017
An average day at work was taken at my own pace, with little to no rush. My boss, who doubled as a professor at the school, was extremely friendly but did have a particular way of accomplishing his tasks. The other staff were friendly as well. The hardest part of working in the Herbarium was the delicate mounting of plant specimens. The easiest part of working was cutting labels and cleaning.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, celebratory dinners, secure work environment
Great place
Graduate Assistant Men's Basketball (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 9, 2017
Great place to work. I really enjoyed my time there. Excellent people who care. If anybody gets an opportunity to work here I would really recommend it.