Valdosta State University Employee Reviews

Easy job that allows you to make money between classes
Student Union Reservation Office Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 7, 2017
This job is a student's dream job. You can make money in between classes by working a few hours, leaving for class, then coming back to work more. The hours are based on your class schedule. The work is easy since it is desk work. When you don't have work you are free to do homework and eat lunch. This job is in the student union so you will be in the middle of campus social life. This gives you the opportunity to see everything.
Pros
Make money between classes, ability to do homework when you don't have work to do, you are in the middle of the campus social life, holidays off
Cons
7.25 salary, you can't leave the office, can be boring if there isn't much to do
Keep you on your toes working environment
Central Warehouse, Warehouse & Moves Manager (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 20, 2016
There are very few typical work days in my area of VSU due to the ever changing expectations of the faculty and staff on campus. I have gained knowledge in all aspects of the business management by working in the Financial Services and Plant Operations departments. I obtained experience in Oracle PeopleSoft, TMA and ADP. My co-workers in Plant Operations are the wonderful and always willing to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of my job is when I am unable to control a situation that occurs while I am supposed to be managing the work to be completed. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I get to work with on a daily basis. They really make it easier to smile and come into work everyday.
Pros
Tuition Assistance, vacation, sick leave
Cons
high healthcare premiums, salary
As a student and a employee it was a pleasure working with everyone
I.t. Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 8, 2017
Gives you a lot of hands on work and gives you a chance to grow and learn more. Management is very friendly but when it's time to get work done they mean business. My whole experience was quite pleasurable
Getting through Graduate School
Graduate Assistant, Department of Geosciences (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 13, 2017
This job was actually a graduate assistantship taken in my final year of Graduate School. The professor that I worked with was stern, but he was also very helpful with things that needed to be done. I appreciate the time taken and the opportunity to work under and get to know him.
Would not recommend
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 4, 2017
Depends on what department an employee works for. It can be fun and productive or completely toxic. Overall the university is unwilling to change to accommodate it's student population and it shows in the retention rates. As an employee I was generally happy and coworkers were very supportive.
My hobby was my job
Graduate Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 21, 2017
Working as a graduate assistant volleyball coach at VSU meant combining my hobby with my job and transferring my knowledge to young athletes. The university, the athletic department, and the head coach made my two years at VSU an unforgettable time of my life.
Productive environment for Job related work also acedemics
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 8, 2016
A typical day at the Information help desk consisted of configuring a wiki page for a layout that would make the application process more simple. I learned how to train individuals on a certain skill also how to trouble shoot problems with many different people. The supportive management along with co workers gave support in stressful situations. The most difficult part of the job is attempting to trouble shoot a problem failed to be resolved by the primary department. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be the luxury of being able to work on academics while at work.
Pros
Being allowed to do homework
Cons
Unorganized scheduling
Productive and fun place to work
Foreign language tutor (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 1, 2017
I assist students with learning of foreign language while analyzing progression. I help students with techniques to develop critical-thinking skills.Also, provide activities for individual to promote intercommunication abilities.
Awesome place to work
Campus Recreation, Team Leader of Club Sports (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 27, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Campus Recreation. You have plenty of opportunities for advancement. The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is homely. This is a great place to work.
Adjunct...Take It or Leave It
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 28, 2016
I loved this job, but I was working two jobs at the same time, so I needed a break. The department I taught in was fabulous. Great people who gave great support if I needed it. I would do this again if I needed to. It is a supplemental income kind of job. You cannot make a living as an adjunct.
allowed me to inteact with staff and students
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 6, 2016
allowed interaction with staff and students. gain great relationship from meeting with them and assisting them. they knew if they needed me that I was there.
Productive and fun workplace
Student Union Information Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 21, 2016
Nice people, great management, and fun activities. The experience was wonderful. The most enjoyable part this job was greeting everyone that walked through the door.
Pros
free food after every event
Cons
scheduling conflicts
Great learning opportunity
Graduate Assistant, VSU Orientation and Leadership (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 17, 2016
It was a great opportunity to gain professional and personal development. There was room for improvement on both ends for the supervisor and myself as to what I needed to improve and grow as a professional.
Perfect for experience and learning
Student Researcher (unpaid) (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 16, 2014
In my position as an unpaid student researcher, I got exactly what I expected: time with people who knew their skills and were willing to teach me. In my work, we logged in when we arrived at the work station and began training, or entering data, or teaching students, and continued donating the hours we promised until the end of the day when we'd neatly pack up.
I learned how to create master codes, work Microsoft Excel, schedule testing sites and days, recruit participants, how critical it is to train researchers in the same study, what attending a psychological convention entails, and working under stressful deadlines.
The hardest part of the job was pinning down time to learn the complex formulas needed to write the results of the article. The most enjoyable part of the job was entering the data and keeping everything in its place.
Pros
Experience on Campus with professors
Cons
Relying on fund-raisers to go on psych conventions
Regional and very crucial university in the South Georgia
Instructor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 10, 2014
Job work/life balance, compensation/benefits, job security/advancement, management, job culture are excellent.
Great team
Student Employment Office Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 13, 2016
A great place to work. My HR job was great, the team I worked with were super supportive and flexible. I learned how to work as a team and how to work with filing and paperwork.
Great and exciting place to work with benefits!!
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Office of Student LifeJune 23, 2015
Typically we spend most of our time acting as the hub of student life, hence the name Student Life Office. We take the time to ensure that students are aware of various aspects of student life as they are available on our wonderful campus. We not only inform students of these opportunities, but we also foster these opportunities through the volunteer services, Campus Activities Board, and the Student Union. All of these services fall under Student Life and present numerous events and possibilities for VSU community. The staff is very helpful, bright, and a humorous group of individuals. The director is a great leader and baker as well. We often get a good amount of free food or home baked goods, just because. The other student assistants and graduate assistants come and go, but they always add value to the office.
Pros
Free benefits for union staff, baked goods!!
Cons
Limited hours for office staff
Productive fun work environment
Delivery Worker (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 16, 2016
Valdosta State University is a great place to work and the benefits are excellent. It is a great place to work if you plan of going to school to further your education.
Fun and productive workplace
Cashier- Cashiered (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 9, 2015
A typical day at work began with prepping food for Quizno's including portioning the meats and slicing the tomatoes. I would also help cashier a little if we needed more people on the line. I would also periodically sweep the floors in the back and the dining area, refill the condiments, refill the napkin dispensers, and clean the windows.

This is when I learned how to cashier for the first time, which I dreaded at first, but I came to enjoy it and interacting with the customers. It made my and their day better.

Management was great. My supervisors and manager were great people, and we always had good times at work. Whenever I had a question or problem, they would always help me.

My co-workers were also enjoyable. We talked during down-time, and made our work enjoyable. We helped each other when we asked for it, and managed to get work done on time.
Pros
Free meals, great health care
Productive and well managed with plenty of places to grow
e-Learning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  valdosta, GVJune 19, 2014
• Resolve customer complaints regarding sales, billing, and service.

• Confer with potential customers regarding security needs and advise customers on security systems to purchase.

• Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement.

• Collaborate with company and project managers to exchange information, such as selling strategies and marketing information.

• Taking sales orders producing invoices, receipts, work orders, service agreements and other S&P related documents.

• Determine staffing requirements, and interview, hire and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes.
Pros
Structural management
Cons
healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valdosta State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3