Valencia College Employee Reviews in United States

Good environment to see students grow
Learning Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work is all about interacting with a very diverse group of students and staff. I've learned how to solve problems from many different angles. Management needs improvement. Co-workers are very laid back. Hardest part of the job is dealing with unprepared students who expect everything without giving anything. The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing the students' success stories.
ELectrical Engineering Assistant / Tutor
Lab Instructor I / Electrical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 14, 2016
Assisted in setup and implementation of classroom labs. Available to students for tutoring in AC/DC Circuits, Semi-Conductors, Software Applications, Optics, Lasers, and Advanced Math including Calculus I, II, III, Differential Equations, and others.
great and easy workplace for college students
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 4, 2016
very well organized. nice staff, get job to do as a college student . they care about you and your classes.as a work study your work 20 hours a week so you have time to do your class work.
I enjoyed working there. The staff members are all kind hearted and helpful
Orientation Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of setting up a large room with 50 or more portfolios depending on the amount of students coming in for Orientation. All the while sitting at the information station to assist guest and student with any questions they may have about the school.
Pros
Great enviornement
Valencia Supports Learning
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  FLApril 21, 2016
Valencia is a good place to learn and grow as an individual. There are some good people working at Valencia who care about students and colleagues while maintaining a high level of professionalism. Others tend to micro-manage and treat employees like they're not professional adults.
Pros
Learning Environment/1/2-day Fridays in Summer
Cons
Micromanagement
The cutting edge of academic excellence!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 13, 2016
Valencia is an excellent place to work. The college is very student focused and gives faculty a strong voice in how things are run. As a student, faculty, or staff member, you are actively encouraged to connect and collaborate with colleagues and find new and inventive ways to support and encourage student learning.
Pros
Highly collaborative -- works well when the best direction is unknown
Cons
Highly collaborative -- hinders progress when the best direction is already known
Educational Enviorment
Telephone Operator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 22, 2016
Productive Supportive and a great place to work.. Amazing training, and great staff and faculty. Positive, clean, locations.
Pros
Paid Holidays, Free Medical and College Funds
I enjoyed Valencia
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 25, 2016
I enjoyed attaining my degree at Valencia. It was a lot of studying and hard work. But the Professors were always there for me to reference any issue I ran into.
Productive, Professionally, and Enjoyable
Student Development (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLFebruary 8, 2016
Welcome by employers and employees and right away start working. Email companies, look over semester schedule, and have a chat with the boss to see status of our work
Pros
Amazing management, benefits, and connections
Cons
Stagnant and repetitious in creativity
Valencia is rewarding
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 30, 2016
Valencia College is a rewarding environment. Working each day with the up and coming next generation of workers and leaders, keeps my mind and soul refreshed.
Through Valencia College, I have had the opportunity of continue my education and learn new and important changing I can implement in all of my courses and for future employers.
Pros
continuing education, great schedule
Cons
Adjuncts are the backbone of universities but there is no job security
Can't imagine my life without Valencia
Staff Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLNovember 18, 2015
I was a student, intern, study abroad participant, work-study, and employee for Valencia College and I am happy to say that it will always be a significant part of me. Valencia is an incredibly supportive environment for its students and staff, and it feels very much like home. Most of my work colleagues are close friends of mine, and management is usually easy going. Valencia College prides itself in being easily accessible, relatable, and encouraging to everyone that comes their way, and they've done a tremendous job in achieving that goal.
Pros
Great environment, staff and student workers are super helpful, walk-in and casual feel
Cons
Can get hectic during peak deadlines
I enjoyed the culture and creative environment at Valencia College.
TENURED, LEAD PROFESSOR OF NURSING for Nursing III (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 6, 2015
Valencia College is a wonderful place to work the people are supportive from those who kept our campus' safe, to those who facilitated the learning of our students, and everyone in between. Our Community Partners as Corporations and Individuals within the Healthcare Systems are fantastic and supportive of our Nursing Students and College. Faculty truly care about each other and administration is supportive and inclusive as Faculty sit on most of the 4 Cornerstone Committees. The President of the College and the Presidents of the Campuses are open and supportive. Great place to work and everyone will be missed.
Pros
Educational opportunities, supportive employees from the top on down.
Cons
Some State politics and little room for promotion.
Fun work Place
Book Store Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLOctober 18, 2015
I love to work here, interacting and helping students is the best part, and my assistance manager is the best, I couldn't ask for anyone better. Everything that I know was because she gave me the opportunity to apply my own skills. But after two years of trying to get a full-time position, it's time for me to move on. I need a full time job with benefits. since I don't have that with a part-time.
Pros
Very small campuses where all the staff know each other and even get to know students very well"
Cons
It is hard to get a full time staff position
Great Intermediate Job
Mathematics Instructional Assistant Senior (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 6, 2015
Had an amazing time working for Valencia. The culture is laid back and the whole staff is super friendly. Pay is not the best and job security is questionable but I felt at home here.
Hard to move up its about who you know
Assist students/faculty (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 1, 2015
I am telling you it is not that glamorous if they are this big its because they use people to their benefit more than they care about them. most promotions for advancement is for people that are friend with the managers hiring.
Valencia College is a great place to work.
Dean, Division of Engineering & Technology (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 9, 2015
I have been with Valencia for over 15 years. I started as an adjunct faculty member in 1998 and was then offered a full-time, tenure-track position in 2000. I received tenure in 2003 and have served in a variety of increasingly more complex roles at the college over the years.

Valencia is a large institution and sometimes that makes it difficult to get work done. Even so, the institution has been nationally recognized as a global leader in community college education, receiving the inaugural Aspen Prize in 2011.

Valencia encourages self-motivation and self-management. This is an ideal work environment for me as I am my own worst critic and supervisors are always more than satisfied with my work production as well as my ethics.

The hardest part of my job is that no matter how much we accomplish, we tend to focus on the work we have yet to do. We need to take time to celebrate our highlights and accomplishments and refresh before we continue to focus on the deeper work of connecting education to those who need it most.
Pros
Supportive work environment
Cons
No merit pay - everyone makes the same at the same level regardless of performance
Great Place
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 26, 2015
Other than the pay and the job advancement, or should I say lack there of, it is a great place to work. The benefits are the best I have ever seen. You get 30 paid days off a year if you are full-time. I rarely use any of my vacation time.
Pros
Great benefits, great atmosphere
Cons
Pay, advancement
Productive with students
Student Wellness Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Orlando FlAugust 21, 2015
I promoted health wellness through education. There are events that were on campus such as welcome back week that is hosted every beginning of the semester and also gave students the choice to get free HIV tested.
Great Job but funding was cut
Senior Technical Advisor of Medical Simulation (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2015
 Developed and ran all aspects of Medical Simulation for Health Sciences Division - Paramedic, Cardiovascular, and Repiratory Departments.  Proficient in Gaumard, CAE, Simbionix and Laerdal models  Personally responsible for maintenance, repair and programming of all simulators as well as maintaining and ordering medical inventory and needed supplies
Pros
Cutting edge tech. ANd working with studentd
Cons
Poor management and funding to support position
Great
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 28, 2015
This job is great, but offers no advancement or raises for individual performance. I am focused on education at the moment, so this is just a stepping stone for me while I am in college.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
cubical

4.6