Valencia College Employee Reviews

Valencia College is a great place to work.
Dean, Division of Engineering & Technology (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 9, 2015
I have been with Valencia for over 15 years. I started as an adjunct faculty member in 1998 and was then offered a full-time, tenure-track position in 2000. I received tenure in 2003 and have served in a variety of increasingly more complex roles at the college over the years.

Valencia is a large institution and sometimes that makes it difficult to get work done. Even so, the institution has been nationally recognized as a global leader in community college education, receiving the inaugural Aspen Prize in 2011.

Valencia encourages self-motivation and self-management. This is an ideal work environment for me as I am my own worst critic and supervisors are always more than satisfied with my work production as well as my ethics.

The hardest part of my job is that no matter how much we accomplish, we tend to focus on the work we have yet to do. We need to take time to celebrate our highlights and accomplishments and refresh before we continue to focus on the deeper work of connecting education to those who need it most.
Pros
Supportive work environment
Cons
No merit pay - everyone makes the same at the same level regardless of performance
The Supplemental Instruction Leader is a role model to the rest of students.
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 14, 2015
A typical day at work was to arrive one hour before a class session to attend any student in need of help solving any math problems. After an hour spent helping a student or reviewing the lesson of the day, I had to go to the class to take notes of the lesson or even take exams and quizzes together with the students. After the class session, another supplemental instruction session was to be held to help students from the out-coming class and to help students from the incoming class to solve any math problems. I was capable of exercising my Beginning Algebra skills and learning how to challenge myself mathematically. The management was different in both Valencia Campuses. The Osceola Campus management was laid back and only expected a one-on-one meeting per semester after student evaluations where turned in. The East Campus management, on the other hand, was more rigid and a meeting with the management was required from all Supplemental Instruction Leaders. The East Campus manager used these meetings sometimes to berate the leaders in front of the whole group and to exert her authoritarian dominance. That made the working environment somewhat uncomfortable sometimes for many of us.
Pros
serving other students as a role model and helping them to become better each day
Cons
dealing with guilt-inflicting students and an authoritarian management.
I love Valencia College. Good work environment, good people.
Associate Adjunct Professor, Humanities (Current Employee) –  Osceola campus, Kissimmee, Fl.October 14, 2012
As an adjunct professor, my work duties are solely to teach my students the discipline of Humanities. Currently, I am teaching three classes, face-to-face, that is, on campus. The education I receieved from the professional development courses offered at Valencia is invaluable. Both deans I served under were great people and very supportive. My co-workers are invaluable in that they offer support, humor, and perspective. The hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job are the students! I strive hard to provide an entertaining and informative course, one that the students will enjoy and benefit from. I have nothing negative to say about Valencia, except that their enrollment is down, and the students who do take the Humanites courses are given to the staffers first, which is only right.
Pros
everything, especially the co-workers and the professional development courses
Cons
low enrollment
Productive and fun work place...
Atlas Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 16, 2015
Guides and instructs students and faculty with the functions of Atlas (e.g. such as registration, class rolls, etc). Assist students and faculty over the phone and via email with setting, resetting and unlocking accounts. Assists the Atlas Access Labs as needed during registration and special orientations or classroom presentations. Assists students, staff and faculty with Banner and Atlas technical issues, Staff the Student Atlas Helpdesk during assigned hours. Handling loads of phone calls, up to during our busy time 1000 calls within the week, hardest part was handling angry parents/ students and calming them down. But most enjoyable was just my coworkers, helping each other out and working as a team to solve a problem. My supervisor is amazing and understanding and was able to work with him on certain occasions.
Pros
great team, great coworkers, talking over the phone
Cons
angry students/ parents
Can't imagine my life without Valencia
Staff Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLNovember 18, 2015
I was a student, intern, study abroad participant, work-study, and employee for Valencia College and I am happy to say that it will always be a significant part of me. Valencia is an incredibly supportive environment for its students and staff, and it feels very much like home. Most of my work colleagues are close friends of mine, and management is usually easy going. Valencia College prides itself in being easily accessible, relatable, and encouraging to everyone that comes their way, and they've done a tremendous job in achieving that goal.
Pros
Great environment, staff and student workers are super helpful, walk-in and casual feel
Cons
Can get hectic during peak deadlines
I enjoyed the culture and creative environment at Valencia College.
TENURED, LEAD PROFESSOR OF NURSING for Nursing III (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 6, 2015
Valencia College is a wonderful place to work the people are supportive from those who kept our campus' safe, to those who facilitated the learning of our students, and everyone in between. Our Community Partners as Corporations and Individuals within the Healthcare Systems are fantastic and supportive of our Nursing Students and College. Faculty truly care about each other and administration is supportive and inclusive as Faculty sit on most of the 4 Cornerstone Committees. The President of the College and the Presidents of the Campuses are open and supportive. Great place to work and everyone will be missed.
Pros
Educational opportunities, supportive employees from the top on down.
Cons
Some State politics and little room for promotion.
Valencia is a great place to work
Technical Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 24, 2013
If your lucky enough to get into the right department Valencia is a great place to work. However I would avoid the Admission Department. It is full of horrible office politics and they have the worst management team on the entire campus. I loved my job, I loved my co workers and there really wasn't a hard part of the job except for bad management and disgusting favoritism the displayed blatantly and in your face. It's a shame a great company has such bad leaders all in one department.
Pros
long holiday vacation, great benefits, great working hours
Cons
poor management in admission from the coordinators to the directors.
Reliable, easygoing and success oriented
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FlJune 3, 2015
I started my career in the financial field and it is a very interesting and lucrative field. to summarize I use to implement and manage projects. I learned how coaching is the best approach to management, how to coordinate between the different departments.
I decided to switch careers and go to high education field. I am still using my coaching skills in facilitating my classes. I also learned patience, tolerance and self control.
The hardest part of my actual job is to see some students not passing and the most enjoyable one is being part of somebody's success.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks
Productive and fun workplace!
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 16, 2014
A typical day at work involves me starting off by checking my planner. I use this planner to organize the projects I must complete during the day or during a certain period of time. I check and respond to emails, phone calls and voice-mails throughout the day. I manage a team of four of whom I direct and assist with all Accounts Payable concerns. The team I manage is a very productive and fun team who inputs hundreds of invoices a day! I have specific duties that I complete throughout the week to meet my assigned deadlines. I assist the Director of Financial Accounting with any special projects upon request.
Fun work Place
Book Store Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLOctober 18, 2015
I love to work here, interacting and helping students is the best part, and my assistance manager is the best, I couldn't ask for anyone better. Everything that I know was because she gave me the opportunity to apply my own skills. But after two years of trying to get a full-time position, it's time for me to move on. I need a full time job with benefits. since I don't have that with a part-time.
Pros
Very small campuses where all the staff know each other and even get to know students very well"
Cons
It is hard to get a full time staff position
Proactive work place
Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 18, 2014
Laid back waiting for professors to call because of software or hardware issues. I learned how to re-image PC's and Laptops, install software, check and eliminate malware or viruses that can potentially be harmful, build websites using WordPress and much more. Management is outstanding never mitigating concerns or ideas team members bring up. The hardest part is having nothing to do, at times I would sit in the office for hours. Being part of the IT team was the most enjoyable part of the job,
Fast Paced, educational, and Grade A teamwork.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 9, 2014
Days usually go by fast because of the high volumes of students seeking help. I learned to tutor students based on their unique learning styles which, works wonders. The leadership team at Valencia College is outstanding to say the least. The co-workers are all on the same page. We enjoy helping students in areas in which we love. The hardest part of my job is at the end of each term when a campus of over 13,000 students need help studying for Finals. I enjoy helping my students achieve their academic goals.
Great job for a Student
Anatomy and Biology Tutor (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLFebruary 7, 2015
Valencia is really good about working around your school schedule since many of it's employees are also students, they pay ok but many times you cannot get enough hours. Part time can get up to 25 hours a week but most people average 10-15 hours a week.

On the bright side you get to work with a really diverse group of people and the management really wants to see you continue your education and advance to a higher position whenever possible.
Pros
flexible schedule
Educational environment with a strong learning environment
SPA Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 4, 2012
Support students of Valencia with mathematical help, assistance, and teaching. Work with individual students to pinpoint areas of concern and create a foundation to improve those areas. Present in a classroom setting to a group through Workshops on specific subjects in Mathematics that include subjects such as Developmental Math, Intermediate Math, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry, Geometry, Calculus, and Discrete Mathematics.
Pros
daily unique challenges, friendly environment, educational environment, dynamic workload
Cons
part time only, short breaks, manual timesheet
Valencia is rewarding
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 30, 2016
Valencia College is a rewarding environment. Working each day with the up and coming next generation of workers and leaders, keeps my mind and soul refreshed.
Through Valencia College, I have had the opportunity of continue my education and learn new and important changing I can implement in all of my courses and for future employers.
Pros
continuing education, great schedule
Cons
Adjuncts are the backbone of universities but there is no job security
Great Job but funding was cut
Senior Technical Advisor of Medical Simulation (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2015
 Developed and ran all aspects of Medical Simulation for Health Sciences Division - Paramedic, Cardiovascular, and Repiratory Departments.  Proficient in Gaumard, CAE, Simbionix and Laerdal models  Personally responsible for maintenance, repair and programming of all simulators as well as maintaining and ordering medical inventory and needed supplies
Pros
Cutting edge tech. ANd working with studentd
Cons
Poor management and funding to support position
Collegiate Environment
Math Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 13, 2014
Good place to work, energetic student population, technology and pacing is current so you are at cutting edge of what is happening in your field now.

Typical day depends on what classes you are teaching.
Standard teaching protocol: lecturing, quizzing/testing, grading and assigning final course grade.
Pros
flexibility in non classroom working hours
Cons
no real designated office space
Great and Fun place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 19, 2012
If you like really helping people get their life on track while improving your customer service experience than Valencia College is the best place to work. Working there I can say I actually love interacting with at lest 500 Students a day.
Pros
full-time binifits a really good if you can land a full-time.
Cons
no binifits for part-time
Student Leader
Student Leader (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 1, 2014
I conduct campus tours as well as make I'Ds for students and staff. I interact with different people each day, and have learned to relate with them, and make them feel comfortable in our environment. There is never a hard part of a job for me, because I'm always learning something out of everything. I enjoy getting to interact with everyone.
benefits
Leader in Higher Education
Student Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 13, 2014
Valencia is a leader in the nation with advanced programs that not only prepare students for higher level degrees but for life.

Assisting students with their educational goals is most rewarding in that you get to see their progress and fulfill their desire to advance themselves.

Great co-workers, great opportunities for advancement and professional personal growth.

4.6