Valet Park of America

Valet Park of America Employee Reviews in United States

Perfect temporary/college job
Valet Attendant/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  CTFebruary 15, 2016
Great company. Management actually cares about their employees. Very family oriented. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Biggest pro: Coworkers. Most days don't even feel like work, just hanging out with friends.

Biggest con: Payroll not always on top of things. Missing pay/compensation is typical.

Also extreme hot/cold conditions may not be suitable for everyone, but that should be a given.

Overall I would definitely recommend.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Payroll discrepancies
fun place to work some thing different every day
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 5, 2016
fun place to work some thing different every day. its also a good way to stay in shape you do a lot of running to get cars. the hardest thing about the job is just dealing with the weather cause your working in all kinds of weather
Pros
you get to drive alot of cars
Cons
working out side in all kinds of weather
Learning about customer service
Valet Parking (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 11, 2015
I learned how to provide excellent customer service with this job for the year that I worked for Valet Park of America. The co-workers were mostly all friendly and I enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of the job was working in the cold during the Winter. The most enjoyable part of the job was how impressed our customers were by my hard work. Making their day made the experience very enjoyable for me.
Pros
Working with friendly people
Cons
Short, unpaid lunch break
Manger did not care
Yale Hospital Valet Parking (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 8, 2015
a typical day at work was very busy but got the job done.
hardest part was dealing with the managers.
My co workers got the job done but it was mostly the employee doing more of the job than the mangers but i'm a team player so i always got the job done with the team mates.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Mangers
face paced environment with great co workers and plenty to do enjoyed my stayed with this company
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 3, 2015
a typical day at work would be i would come in punch in, say hello to everyone, find out what went down so far, and what my duties would be.I learned so much at this company including how to be a better man and worker. my co workers were exceptional. for me there were no hard part of the job i loved every bit of it.. the most enjoyable part of the job was the customers..
Pros
driving nices cars
Cons
mean customers
Typical Work day
Valet Attendant Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 13, 2015
• Organized weekly reports for the Engineering department to track product success. Customer Service, Product Reliability and DATA Management (Contractor: NuCon Group).
• Utilized Access database to track aircraft parts removals.
Challenging environment, good compensation, opportunities for advancement
Valet attendant/Closing manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 7, 2015
Of all the companies I've worked for in the last 5 years, VPA was the most fair. Valet attendant pay ranges between $6-10 an hour, and tips range from $3-12 an hour. Usually you're taking home somewhere between $12-17 an hour. Compared to my other friends with partial college degrees, I was doing pretty darn well. The work itself is physically demanding, on a busy day you can expect to run 6-8 miles, and short of nuclear fallout, work is never cancelled on account of the weather. For $150 deposit, you are supplied two company polo shirts, an L.L. Bean Fleece and a rain shell jacket. These are a good start, but if you are working through the winter you will need to drop at least a few hundred bucks on layers, hats, gloves, footwear, neck/face gaiter etc. I've worked through 90-100 degree days and -30 windchill, it's not a joke. Management isn't perfect, but most managers are fair and responsive to the guys that work under them. VPA only promotes from within, so if you stick around and do a good job, you'll probably be recognized. They do a good job of promoting the right guys. Also, you get a chance to drive tons of different cars. After about a year with VPA, I had driven pretty much every common, mass-produced car and a handful of high-end luxury vehicles in the $1-200k range. If I was ever returning to the capital region of New York, I would re-train with VPA and get back to parking cars unless I had a better career opportunity.
Pros
Good pay, effective management, quality coworkers, cool cars
Cons
Physically demanding, year-round outside work despite ANY weather conditions
Great place to make money, not fun place to work.
Valet Captain (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 4, 2015
They do not treat their employee's with respect, especially the one's who go above and beyond job requirements. They seem to take their kindness as a weakness. Also they have policies that they do not follow but want everyone else to follow. I can honestly say the leadership at this job is not so great. Not all of the managers are the same but most managers that are in a higher position are not great examples of how they want their employees to be.
Great People, Challenging environment, Good Tips
Management (Current Employee) –  Upstate New YorkApril 24, 2015
While dealing with people in a customer service environment can present challenges, overall it is a very rewarding job. Most managers believe in treating their staff professionally and with compassion.

Expectations are reasonable, although working outside in the winter can be challenging. At least most customers recognize and appreciate the hustle we put into serving them.
Pros
Co-workers, tips, flexible scheduling
Cons
Winter months

Comment – May 4, 2015

Thanks for writing this... I think we are all glad that winter is over! It takes a certain type of person to do this job in tough conditions, so thank you. Tim

fun. run fast drive slow.
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 4, 2015
check what's on the board or run to the entrances. work together with co workers. hardest part is sometimes not getting a break.
Pros
pay is decent. co workers are good.
Cons
short breaks. tough management.
Friendly and helpful work envirnment.
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 3, 2015
I like the fact that I get to assist customers and drive many different vehicles everyday.
I have learned about different type of vehicles and improved my parking skills because I park cars everyday.
My co-workers are fun and outgoing. They are also helpful and a pleasure to work with.
The hardest part is working outside during inclement weather.
The most enjoyable part is driving vehicles and sharing tips at the end of the day with my co-workers.
Hard working providing customer service
Valet Capitan / Entry Level Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 6, 2015
445 am to 1pm my shift. Open up get the two laptops up and running. Count cash drawer, and setup cameras. I am in charge of running the main entrance at Yale New Haven Hospital. I have a drive way coordinator which makes my job easier and I also have a cashier which helps. hardest Part of my job is probably the customers not understanding things due to us being a new valet company. The shift which is not the best 445 in the morning but I am out early.
Pros
out of work early, work with a great team.
Cons
morning shift, out doors full shift.
Parking Attendant
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 14, 2014
I would go in everyday and work hard to park customers vehicles. The toughest part of the job would be, that they make you run like crazy to park cars and deliver vehicles. The most thing I liked about the job was I was able to drive all type of vehicles.
A job that could have something different everyday
Valet Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Depending on how busy the hospital is, we will park on average about 400 cars a day. The management is always good about leading by example. My co-workers are usually pretty good about helping out with switching shifts and doing each other favors in that area.
Cons
poor work environment, working in all sorts of weather, no real chance for advancement
Fast Paced work
Shuttle Driver / Shuttle Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 30, 2014
A job where you can earn a lot of money and to know people, and move up if you do your job properly
Opportunities @ VPA - You Get Out What You Put In
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 30, 2013
I started with this company as a part-time valet as a freshman in college. I now oversee over 100 employees as an HR Manager. Being with this company for 6 years has helped me tremendously in my career, and I am absolutely dedicated to grow with this company. Valets/shuttle drivers/front line staff enjoy flexible scheduling, awesome opportunities to work at locations such as Nantucket, VT Ski Resorts and vacation destinations. You will build your customer service/interpersonal skills as you may interact with customers from ALL WALKS of life (celebrities, sports professionals to people down on their luck). The company has in house leadership training that allows selected candidates to take on more responsibility and be promoted. Many high level executives started out on the front-line level. If you are looking for an exciting new career in the customer service field, give VPA a shot. It is a great time to grow with VPA!
Pros
flexibility, $ and tips, growth opportunities, company parties and trips
Cons
working outside is not for everyone
Make other people's days easier in a high stress location
Customer Service, lot attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 19, 2013
Management did a good job though i barely saw them. Worked alone with little to no assistance.
Pros
reliable and steady
Cons
harsh scheduel at times, little to no training or assistance when needed
Great place to advance
valet captain (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 26, 2013
Been working here for a while and it's been a great experience. The company seems to keep growing so if you put in hard work and show initiative you have some great opportunities to move up. It's great exercise and the benefits and compensation seem to be head and shoulders over other valet companies I've researched. I've learned a lot with different leadership/training courses that they offer.
Manager's are pretty cool if you do your do job and don't slack off. If you do slack off they will let you know about it. I've always tried to do what was asked and I feel appreciated.
I guess the only cons I can think of would be the fact that we're outside when it's raining or really cold but I've gotten used to it. Also, sometimes you work some really long days. I guess that's better than only working some short days though.
Worse place to work for!!
valet captian (Former Employee) –  hartford hospitalApril 12, 2013
This company is VERY unprofessional. You are expected to drive unsafe vehicles and go above and beyond for 8$ an hour. You are expected to be at work no matter what the weather is! when saying this i mean; when the governor shuts down the state you are still at work and written up if you call out! the last huge snow storm we had a few night crew employees sleep in their cars on the side of the high ways because they could not get home!!! VPA did nothing to help! One of the guys car ended up getting towed and it took him a week to find where it was! and VPA did not care or help at all! you are provided with a thin fleece and a wind breaker as a uniform for whatever the weather is. No rain coats. Management is very unorganized, has favorites, and gives you the run around when you have an issue. Oh and lets not forget you better keep track of you hours and check each and every paycheck because they LOVE to short people and play them with their hours! And im not talking about 1 or 2 hrs, im talking about 200$$$$ worth of hours! This place is worse then high school when it comes to rumors and people talking about each other; management is even involved and most of it starts with them! the ONLY thing this company is good for is having hours! we also pool your tips so if you work your butt off and make 60$ your lucky to go home with 20$ for that day.Only enjoyable part of this job was meeting wonderful people and kids that came and used our service each day. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!!!!
Pros
they have hours because no one wants to work for them
Cons
everything!
Great job for college students and more
Shift Supervisor, Driver (Former Employee) –  Eastern MA/ Western MA/March 7, 2013
I worked this job during my college years and I couldn't have had a better job. Flexible work schedule allows you to work whenever you can. The money can be really good if you work hard. Staying at accounts and not leaving early. On slow nights and days you get comp pay, so you are making money. If you are a good worker advancement was easy. Was promoted to a manager in less than a year. Upper-Management is completely understanding of family issues that may come up as long as one doesn't abuse this power. Plenty of opportunities to travel around the New England area to make better money at some of the summer accounts. I had so much fun working here.
Pros
great hours, good exercise, upper management.
Cons
slow nights can be boring, they work in any weather. i have had some miserable nights.