Title: Director of Construction & Maintenance
Reports to: President/ CEO
The Director of Construction and Maintenance is expected to show leadership skills, construction and maintenance knowledge. This position requires a take charge individual that will assume all departmental responsibilities and one who is capable of holding each individual responsible for all aspects of their job, while training, guiding and motivating each to achieve their maximum capability.
The Director of Construction and Maintenance is responsible for all aspects of new construction, re-models, retro-fits and upgrades, as well as the complete supervision of the maintenance department. The Director of Construction will be required to guide, supervise and direct all aspects of the maintenance team, including the maintenance supervisor. The Director of Construction will also be required to properly prioritize, communicate with, manage and guide all outside vendors and ensure that Vallarta is achieving the best value at all times, while holding outside vendors completely accountable for cost, timeliness, quality and follow through.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Understand thoroughly the capabilities, strengths and weaknesses of all team members and allocate and prioritize their workflow to properly guide team and maximize their productivity.
2. Develop a structured, comprehensive and professional work environment for the department in all aspects, which include:
a) stores b) maintenance c) construction d) vendors e) other departments at Vallarta
3. Work closely with and direct the administrators for maintenance to ensure they are fully supported, with clear direction and reasonable goals, while assisting them to achieve their goals.
4. Identify training needs among team members and insure that all team members receive continued training and opportunities for growth.
5. Work one on one with each team member to identify their capabilities and provide training as needed.
6. Bring clear communication to all aspects of the department, as well as having the same, high level of communication with all departments that interact with construction and maintenance.
7. Clearly define, and document, the job requirements and duties for all staff positions and review each team member’s performance to insure compliance.
8. Develop and grow positive relationships with all vendors, while regularly looking for better opportunities, to hold vendors accountable for all aspects of their work. This is crucial in keeping the maintenance costs as low as possible, while maintaining the best possible service for the stores and job/s. Must be able to work hand-in-hand with each vendor to hold them accountable.
9. Create and maintain an inventory of all parts and equipment for both the warehouse, as well as the vehicles and ensure that the inventory process is accurate, audited and reported once every quarter, with variances.
10. Anticipate company needs as it relates to: maintenance, personnel, vacations, etc., to keep the work flow moving smoothly at all times.
11. Analyze every vendor’s bill to ensure that Vallarta is paying the lowest possible price for the best possible service; while keeping records of previous bills to ensure consistency.
12. Must be able to plan well ahead for all needs of the department as well as future needs, while scheduling all departmental personnel; staying on schedule and being proactive with all projects that are given to the department.
13. To establish meaningful and measurable goals for each team member and assist them in achieving these goals on a regular basis, while measuring and reporting their progress.
14. Identify positive performance by staff and give appropriate recognition (in line with established company guidelines).
15. Make recommendations for personnel changes needed to improve department performance.
16. Enforce department and company policies, and procedures, fairly, equally and consistently with all staff.
1. Strong ability to develop, guide, manage, hold accountable and motivate every member of the construction and maintenance team
2. Current State of California Contractor’s license
3. Bilingual: Spanish and English in speaking & reading
4. Proven ability to communicate extremely well to all levels, in both languages
5. Extensive experience in the construction and maintenance of grocery stores and other retail establishments
6. Self motivated, outstanding planner, analytical thought process and progressive thinker
7. Strong work ethic, with a positive outlook and can do attitude
8. Available to travel, work some weekends, some evenings and some overnight stays