Vallen Employee Reviews

Needs to completely overhaul upper management.
Employee (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 11, 2017
Poor, poor, work culture. Poor Job / Life balance. The pay is below standard. They cut part time employees hours and pay on turn-arounds. No job security, You will feel threatened each day you work there.
I liked working their because I got to work at my own pace
Mail Clerk and backup switchboard operator (Former Employee) –  Belmont, NCJune 20, 2017
Opened and sort all incoming mail from the post office. Delivered all the mail. Opened and sorted accounts payable mail. Check the fax machines and delivered the faxes. Got outgoing mail ready to go out. Filed pick tickets and customer invoices. Answered the phone and greeted all visitors. Took messages.
Great Individual People, Challenged Industry
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 6, 2017
Spent many years with a legacy business now known as Vallen Industrial. The original companies were once known as Cameron & Barkley (CamBar), Vallen, Dixie Industrial, Industrial Distribution Group (IDG) among others.

Were all brought under the Hagemeyer umbrella, which has now been rebranded as Vallen Distribution.

There are so many great people that work for this organization. I always felt that the vast majority had your best interest, as well as the business and the customer's best interests at heart. Like any other business, you questioned decisions, but at the end of the day, I always thought they had good intentions. Did many times question upper management's thought processes,but didn't question their motives.
Pros
Fair Pay, Reasonable Sales Expectations, Great Support People
Cons
Internet and Catalog Challenged, Consistently behind the times in sales processes
Find another company! (RUN!......)
Safety Technician, Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 25, 2017
I Wanted To Give Them A Rating Of Zero But There Was No Option. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. I have worked for them off and on during turnarounds for years. I have experience in every job Vallen performs and have been passed up on every promotion and received no raise in pay. I went to work everyday and worked any hours. I have watched employees hired on as full time supervisors with no experience and brought to lower paid temporary turnaround employees to be trained. This is a company to use until you find something better, don't bank on staying. The company will lie to keep you working for them (Get everything in writing) . Don't trust anyone or sign any documents without reading them carefully. If you do go to work for them keep a journal of everything (Document...Document...Document) I have seen them hire turnaround employees full time for 1 month and laid off the next just to satisfy the Labor laws. I have seen employees get hurt on the job and later laid off. This company DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES.
Pros
When there is (work) the pay is good because of the overtime
Cons
No job advancement oppportunity, no competitive pay, no advancement in pay because of experience, no job stability, there's no time set aside for lunch and they still deduct the money, long periods of unemployment, high turnover, keeps bonuses that companies give at end of turnarounds, unorganized
Bottom Line Oriented
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCMay 17, 2017
Management seems concerned with the bottom line over all other aspects of business. Normally not an issue, but the plan to achieve the bottom line growth is not shared with employees. This creates an environment of why. Employees wonder why they do certain things with no explanation other than "because I said so." Local management is much more in tune with employees desires than regional. If you are looking for a "home," this is not the place.
Cons
Degrees required to advance, unwritten rule.
Team players
Accounts Payable Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 4, 2017
Employees very postitve team players at this company. The management makes unprofessional decisions on who they choose to promote. Management is on a buddy system
Pros
great employees
Cons
unfair to hard working people
I loved working here, but no chance for advancement
Fire and Respiratory Tech (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LAMay 4, 2017
I absolutely loved working for this company. I was hired as a temp and was promised a permanent position, however the nephew of a current employee was chosen over me to do the job that I was already doing. Then I was laid off a couple months after. Broke my heart
No recreation at all
Cherry Picker/Reach Truck & Crown Operator (Former Employee) –  Closed their doors and moved to OhioApril 30, 2017
This companies employees did not take safety serious. There was too much favortism between management and friends that had been hired. If you was not in a click, then you was treated totally different.
Pros
Cons
Worked like hebrew slaves
Excellent company to work for, very rewarding.
Safety Specialist, Territory Sales Manager QSSP (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 10, 2017
Vallen Distribution is the evolution of acquisitions of many companies coming together over the last 26 years. My experience with Vallen started with Briggs Weaver Industrial, which was acquired by Cameron & Barkley which acquired Vallen Safety which was later acquired by Hagemeyer North America a division of Sonepar U.S..
As an outside industrial and safety sales representative my typical day included interaction with our customers and more importantly my internal customers, my fellow employees who made up a great team.
I learned to always be honest with everyone. The management was great. Competition is fierce in this market. When you always tell the truth, customers come to you for help.
Pros
Management acknowledges hard work.
Cons
New management does not understand the El Paso Market.
Was IDG when I worked for them
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COMarch 30, 2017
Opened a one man Integrated 3rd party warehouse for PCC/AFT to supply manufacturing operation for metal and plastic injection molding company. 3 year contract was begun, but customer changed model 6 months in that made profitability for both companies very difficult. IDG Management promised many things, but gave very little support to the site. I stayed until the contract ran out.
Good people laid back work environment
Vendor Manager (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMarch 22, 2017
Management is good to work for
Coworkers are easy to get a long with and helpful
Workplace is very down to earth and you are able to go about your day at your own pace.
Challenging and Rewarding
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Water Valley, MSFebruary 28, 2017
The only negative is being so far away from the flag pole. The work was challenging and rewarding.
Training on the use of software systems could be better. The atmosphere is positive and fair for all.
A day in the life....
Counter & Phone Salesman (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 17, 2017
Each day should present new challenges you face head first! Work each and every day to maintaining excellent relationships, between my customers and co-workers.

Having a positive mindset is key. My customers are very important to me and providing them with anything less than my best is unacceptable. The key is always to provide the type of relationship an service that brings the customer back, time and time again.
Pros
Networking and relationship building, sampling of products so we can speak informatively to our targeted audiance
Cons
sometimes needing more help if your customer base grows
Vallen
Regional Distribution Center (RDC) Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 13, 2017
Good company to work for even after they were bought out by Hagemeyer NA. They provided good benefits if you remained with the company after the buyout.
Workplace
Rental/Turnaround Manager (Former Employee) –  Nederland, TXFebruary 6, 2017
Vallen was a good environment to work in. Most of the people I worked with were very helpful. There is not much room for advancement though.
Fast Paced environment
Outbound Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 24, 2017
Typical day would be getting to work to find out at least 3 people in your team have called in sick.Management more concern about numbers than people.
Cons
underpaid if you are not on salary
management sucked in this place
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Travelers Rest, SCJanuary 4, 2017
was material handler, forklift operator
management was horrible
no room for advancement
co workers were so so
hardest part of job was the management
not really enjoyable
Pros
Cons
management
So enjoyed this job!
Crib Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEDecember 4, 2016
I am a morning person. This job started early. I performed cycle counts first thing in the morning. When CNH employee's arrived I waited the counter to charge out the supplies they needed. The rest of the day was shipping/receiving, stocking, waiting the counter.
I had wonderful co-workers. We worked well together, helped each other. I loved this job. I love working with people.
Pros
The work.
Loved working here
Shipping and Receiving Clerk/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILDecember 3, 2016
I loved working at Hagemeyer. The crew was great to work with. Would love to go back to hagemeyer but they closed the company
Global parent company
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 25, 2016
Typical work day is managing the production area and kit process area, customer service, inside sales and associate interaction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vallen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9