Valley Baptist Medical Center Employee Reviews

co-workers are mostly good people
STAFF RN (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXOctober 26, 2017
Team oriented, 12-14 hour workday when we got to work, sometimes only get 1 day a week and have to use PTO to have a pay check so we can pay our insurance. Enjoyable part of job is the patient care.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long hours, terribly expensive food in cafeteria
Stressful as any other nursing jobs, but good compensation and benefits
RN Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXOctober 25, 2017
Patients acuity high on skilled unit, management not very empathetic.
Good, hardworking staff to work with, weak mid management team.
Some managers not very good role models, not professional. Few CNAs undisciplined for being rude to nurses and to patients, not
corrected, allowed to continue.
Pros
Good stable job with great benefits
Cons
Understaffing, unprofessional behaviors of management, unlicensed staff
Nice
Telemetry Unit RN (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXOctober 20, 2017
Very fast paced on PCU, but night shift is definitely easier to work. My boss was always helpful with schedule changes or any problems that arose, all the staff was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Doctors
Fast paced learning environment
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXOctober 13, 2017
Fast paced learning environment. Some doctors are unapproachable and difficult. However other doctors are willing to take the time to teach and guide those entering the profession.
Poor management.
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXOctober 12, 2017
Don't recommend to anyone. Poor management. I only lasted for the 2 weeks of training. Quit as quick as I could. I gave my two weeks notice and they allowed me to leave right there and then.
Pros
none.
Cons
everything.
One of the best Medical Centers in the Valley.
Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXOctober 4, 2017
Worked in different departments for example the Admissions Office as a Bed Control Coordinator, answering phones as a PBX operator, worked in the Emergency room, Womans Care area registering patients and then transferred to Patient Accounts department.
okay but troubling depending on coworkers
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 28, 2017
The workplace was okay but in my area it lacks strong willing people that want to work effectively and positively. Not all but some can be difficult depending what floor you work on.
Fast paced and stressful
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXSeptember 16, 2017
Learned how to deal with difficult co-workers, over worked, and short staffed. I enjoyed helping families during their time in the hospital. The hardest part is to not have enough support to be able to do my job.
It's only fun if you like what you do
Emergency Room Intern (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 13, 2017
I was an intern in the emergency room while I did training for my EMT cert and I loved it. The nurses and PA were super nice. Mercy was the best nurse I have ever worked with. Sometimes you don't have time to eat because you're busy with patients, but that's okay.
Rewarding work environment
Pastoral Service Office, Ministries Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXAugust 29, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed working with this medical facility. Just knowing you can help others in need of prayers, guidance and to where to go, what to do in a time of medical crisis for their loved one is always very fulfilling.
Pros
discounts at the gift shops and cafeteria
Cons
not enough hours given
wide range of procedures and keeps you on your toes
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 17, 2017
a typical day consists of more than one type of specialty and opportunity to learn and grow. great work environment and team willing to help you out whenever you may need help.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
some days are too busy for a lunch break
Great Place to work
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJuly 10, 2017
I would highly recommend Valley Baptist, as a place of work for anyone who loves to work in a health environment
, Valley Baptist is friendly place for all and you will love it.
ok job
Multi-Specialty Team Member (MSTM) (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 23, 2017
this job ok good hrs and good people to work with the doctors are spoiled and think there kings and want to be treated like gold always short staffed and never looking to give the employee less work
Pros
work hrs
Cons
doctors think there kings
the place was nice and steady work
Front desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 13, 2017
I liked working here the patients were always fun the place was sometimes slow but when it got patients the nurses were always on point with everyone.
Great benefits and great company
Regulatory & Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 2, 2017
Its hard to advance, compensation is not competitive. Learned a lot but over all management is not supportive. Great people to work with and good benefits.
Pros
free lunches
Student in training at Valley Baptist Medical Center
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 26, 2017
I trained in various departments at Valley Baptist including ER and Labor and Delivery. I took part in restocking, answering phone calls, and patient transfers. I also assisted in fulfilling patient requests. Upon walking in everyday for training, the staff never failed to keep their professional mannerisms and the environment was fast-paced and comfortable.
ability to transfer to different departments within the hospital or system
Communications Operators Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 16, 2017
I've enjoyed working at Valley Baptist. I have gotten new opportunities and am happy with the benefits offered. Your experience here depends on how much you want to get out of it.
Great learning facility
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 11, 2017
Started nursing career there. Learned all I know about nursing. Helps that this facility is also a teaching hospital. Staff were very helpful in assisting with any questions I had and how best to perform my duties.
negative because of Director of PA
Patient Access Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 7, 2017
I love what I but i work with a director that micro manages all you and i feel as if my skills are not being put to use. I like change change is good. He seems like a total manipulator
Pros
fast pace, something new all the time challenging
Cons
the director total micromanager
Not Very Good Place
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TX 78550April 29, 2017
The work environment is very stressful. Have a lot of lazy techs that get away with it. Doctors be- little staff and management allows it.
Never consistent. Spouse was a patient . Dirty rooms. House keeping is terrible. RUN!!!!
Some staff are getting 38 hours for the entire pay period. Staff has to use PTO to pay themselves and make up the 80 hours. Getting a day off takes an act of congress for some staff. There is no communication or team work.
Pros
there are no pros
Cons
to many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley Baptist Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2