Valley Baptist Medical Center

Valley Baptist Medical Center Employer Reviews

Excellent place to work, team work, great weather
RN Postpartum (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXDecember 17, 2014
Pros: good food, weather, team work
Excellent place to work, most of nurses were part of team, good benefits. Manager were very supportive of nurses, food was excellent, the families and patients were very nice
Great workplace.
Transporter (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXOctober 21, 2014
Great workplace to learn a lot about the medical industry. Transporting patients gives you the opportunity to learn about different aspects of life. Listening to the doctors and nurses give you the opportunity to learn about the medical industry.
good pay
Patient Access Rep (Current Employee), harlingenSeptember 24, 2014
pay is good good place to work if you like data entry not sure what else to write
Excellent work place for Ultrasound Technologist
Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: people i worked with and great pay.
Cons: not actually being part of the rehabilitation process.
A typical day at work would be as follow: Receive exam assignment from ER, Labor and Delivery, ICU and the floors, Perform Ultrasound Examinations in Accordance to department protocol. Specialized in Vascular, Abdomen, Obstetrics/Gynecology, and Small Parts ultrasound.

Some days were super busy. Other days were very slow.

The hardest part of this job was seeing a patient in pain.

The best part of this job was my coworkers and manager.
fun place to work but can be overwhelming to new nurses
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXAugust 28, 2014
Pros: reduced lunches
Cons: no lunch break at times due to workload
great people to work with such as other floor nurses. I learned how important it is to have good time management skills. I observed many illnesses in which I never had taken care of before. the hardest part of the job is taking report from negative nurses and having that begin mood to start your day. lots of nurses seem unhappy
medical assistant / pharmacy technician
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), harlingenAugust 23, 2014
medical assistant / pharmacy technician

In addition to educating medical assistant students, instructors may be required to fulfill other responsibilities. Depending upon the employer, medical assistant instructors may participate in school open houses, attend faculty/board meetings and participate in graduation ceremonies. When an internship or externship is required, the instructor may also evaluate and supervise students in the on-the-job training experience
Nice people to work with and provides good working hours.
Intern (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXAugust 10, 2014
I completed my internship with Valley Baptist Medical Center.

It was a very nice experience. I liked the people I worked with very much and learned about working with a large variety of medical equipment and devices.
MSTM (Current Employee), Harlingen, TXJuly 31, 2014
Pros: has benefits
Cons: long shifts/need better pay
A typical day at VBMC is never typical the environment changes on an hourly basis because every patient is different, so they have different needs. There is always something new to learn. I have learned to multi-task and my co-workers are great, they make me like my job. The hardest part of the job is trying to read a doctors handwriting. The most enjoyable part of my job is the staff, and the sense of accomplishment of being able to finish the tasks set before me on a daily basis.
Loved it
Medicaid Collector (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXApril 21, 2014
Loved my job and people working there....Supervisors were good.
Valley Baptist as a whole.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee), Brownsville, TXFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, experience in a high paced environment, awesome management, and great benefits.
Cons: all cons were fixable and not too bothersome.
In the emergency room there isn't a "typical" day which I loved nothing is the same as the day before. The regular things I would do is register patients, obtain all the necessary information to complete account and billing information. Management was very understanding and easy to speak to, my co-workers are the best we work fluently together like a well oiled machine we found the more effective way to work for the patients as well as our productivity. Sometimes the flow of patients are very high but you just need to take a moment to recollect and breathe then get it done. I love working with my Valley Baptist family the nurses are very great to work with, also my 12 hr days seem to breeze by most of the time.
Always the opportunity to learn something new
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee), Brownsville, TXJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: healthcare, pto hrs
Cons: na
Fast paced environment, always something new to learn,
What I have learned so far is that each and every person has
to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their social or economical status. Our patients,families, and friends deserve the
best treatment and customer service possible. During the years
that I have been working at Valley Baptist, there has been several
changes and three different managers. I have been able to adjust
to new changes and policies.I am always open for a change. In
reference to my co-workers, I am always willing to help them.
Since there is new group of employees, I was assigned to
train them. For, I am proud and happy for the confidence placed in me.
The most enjoyable part of the day is to see that the job has been
done and that I have taken care of my patients.
An excellent place to develop nursing skills
Fulltime Rehab RN (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXDecember 20, 2013
Pros: employees recieved a shift differential for working nights
Cons: too many cut backs in supplies, shift differentials, and raises
I particularly liked that obtaining higher education is encouraged and has a tuition reimbursement program and scholarships available. Management works with your schedule so you can attend school. There is a retirement program which the hospital contributes into for the employee that participates with their own share of contributions into the plan. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the hospital being sold to two different companies twice within one year. The culture changes were frequent and overwhelming.
well in Team Work
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee), Harlingen, TXDecember 11, 2013
Pros: on breaks when days are slow
Cons: working holidays
A really nice place to work for experience. VBMC has the best doctors and co workers to work with. Some days are educational and others are full filling. Hardest part is working on holidays but the most enjoyable part is knowing you can make a difference.
Great staff.
Internship II (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXOctober 15, 2013
I only did internship at this location. I spent two semesters at the time. I would go in and work on the equipment that need fixing. Great hands on training for me.
Good Healthcare Program
Home Infusion Director (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXOctober 9, 2013
Pros: startup program was challenging and rewarding
Cons: leadership who did not understand home infusion requirements
I did not work in the acute care side of the healthcare program of Valley Baptist but instead the Home Health division. I had a great opportunity to start the Home Infusion Division from the ground up and was given the support needed to do so in the beginning but after a year, the leadership structure changed and the expectation of my role and duties changed which lead me to make a change in employment.
Productive and a great atmosphere.
Practicum Student (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: discounted lunches.
Cons: short breaks
Co-workers were eager to help you. Their was never a dumb question. Everyone knew their job. Management wanted to know how your day had gone.
It was a start.
CNA (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXSeptember 1, 2013
Pros: i love the health field.
Cons: hours were cut and i needed money.
Take patient's vital signs and chart. Help nurses. I would help other departments if necessary.
Always busy on a typical day.
Dept. Secretary (Former Employee), Harlingen, TexasAugust 19, 2013
Most enjoyable part of job was working with all different kind of vendors and excel in customer service.
Compassionate, faith based hospital.
CPE Resident- hospital chaplain (Current Employee), Brownsville, TXAugust 5, 2013
Pros: the culture of kindness pervading the hospital.
Cons: long 24 hour on-call shifts
A typical day at work as a CPE Resident involves seeing patients on assigned floors and responding to emergencies within the hospital. I learned about leading families in crisis situations. My coworkers were amiable and concerned with my welfare. The hardest part of the job are the long on-call shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is rewarding interaction with patients.
Awesome Hospital to sharpen skills
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Harlingen, TXJuly 3, 2013
VBMC is a great place to sharpen your nursing skills and judgement. Here, you will find all sorts of conditions. Doctors work hand in hand with nurses in providing excellent care.