Valley Community Services Board Employee Reviews in United States

The worst place I have ever been employed
Mental Health Counselor /QMHP (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAMarch 25, 2015
I gave maximum effort during my almost 10 years at VCSB. I was prompt, reliable, never took sick days other than for 2 surgeries and perhaps 5 other days in the duration of my employment. In the last 5 plus years, none in my position of counselor recieved a raise. Expectations for production and a draconian overtime threshhold existed for at least the last 3 years of my employment. I have been working for wages since I was 13 years old, and this organization was the worst by far of any of my many employers. In mild fairness to the organization, Medicaid in Virginia is being starved of funds, and program paradigm changes and mountains of required paperwork which served no purpose in the provision of services to our clientele, created an unbearable situation in a system which is horribly broken. Anyone who has worked there in the same position in the past will say the same things, as would current employees were they not terrified of being written up and targeted for termination. In the past 3 years of my tenure there, I began to suffer emotional damage, because stress reached ridiculous levels. I never, ever took the 2 paid 15 minute breaks to which I was entitled by law, because one simply could not afford not to be billing during that time if at all possible, and the paperwork requirements did not leave time for breaks. I pride myself on having an exemplary work ethic, but no recognition ever was given for this other than the occasional lip service. One can well imagine that this could be a difficult and demanding job given that our clientele was severely and chronically mentally  more... ill, but no understanding of this was ever realistically acknowledged during at least the last 3 years. I have worked at a poultry plant, and at literally a dozen exrtremely tough jobs both physically and mentally, and nothing ever came close to this. None of the management of the organization were aware, to my knowledge of the extraordinary irony that this is a human services organization. I was taught early in my life to work hard for any employer, and to maintain a positive and cheerful attitude in anyway possible, but this job was quite literally destroying people's emotional health for years.
I will give one absolutely true policy that literally defies the imagination. Counselors were expected to get 78 billing units each month or recieve written disciplinary action. Even if your average for all months was higher than 78, you would be disciplined for any particular month that was short. After initially announcing that the policy would not take into consideration adjustments for vacation, etc...that policy was rescinded, but no hard and fast calculable adjustment was ever known. You simply had to work as hard and as fast as possible and hope you made 78 or that the vacation, sick time, snow days and inumerable System catastrophes would be taken into consideration. Then came February 2015 which of course has fewer days to work to begin with, the office was closed at time for inclement weather, and additionally system issues created an impossible barrier at least for the first week, and in reality most of the month. I asked at least twice, what the expected total would be given all the barriers active during the month, but was told there simply was not any number that one could strive for. In the end no one was written up because 78 was impossible, but the fact that people did not even know whether not they would be disciplined essentially because the management wanted to reserve the right to discipline at anytime it suited whatever purpose they had, is beyond any humane practice, in my opinion.
Pros
I could not find any other than providing dignity and freedom to a virtually ignored population, and the extreme honor of working with many of the finest most dedicated employees I have known.
Cons
you name it other than what I stated above
unsure
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAJuly 30, 2014
I am not sure how I truly feel about this company.
8 hour day
many people's attitudes
love helping clients
electronic records
Pros
flexiable
benefits
Case manager/Substance Abuse Specilaist (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VaJuly 8, 2014
Working here helps you gain great experience in the mental health field.
Pros
learn to work independently or with a team.
Cons
low pay
No guidance or Leadership in higher management
PACT ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAJune 4, 2014
You get thrown into new jobs with little or absolute zero training, it is a "wing it" approach. I learned how to manage and successfully run an office on my own. The management is deceptive and uncaring of any staff below them. My co-workers were the best at this office. Working in the main office was full of chaos and drama. The hardest part of the day was trying to manage the seriously ill consumers. The best part of the day was when we could leave.
Pros
great friendships over the years
Cons
sucks the life out of you and your family
Great advancement opportunities, unlimited education, great benefits, flexible schedule
Mental Health Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VANovember 9, 2012
Responsible for recording bed days and services, transportation of clients, attended a day program with them, coordinated outings, trained new staff on the job and on electronic health records, kept inventory, responsible for ordering, meet with clients, helped with services plans, administration of medications, scheduling of doctors appointments, coordination with doctors and psychologist, quality assurance, case management, and record keeping.
The management was very helpful and involved.
Hardest part of the job was monitoring clients medications and moods and coordinating with doctors and psychologist.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being given the opportunity to learn lots of new things.
Pros
great scheduling, education opportunities, benefits
Cons
it was a brand new program and the planning before it opened was not up to par
Crisis counseling was best experience right out of graudate school.
Emergency Services Crisis Clinician (Former Employee) –  Staunton,VaNovember 1, 2012
Phone counseled people experiencing a crisis. Screened clients for admission to psychiatric inpatient treatment at local or regional hospitals.
Worked with law enforcement to
place persons in involuntary inpatient reatment. Screened people for detoxification treatment
at New Hope Detox.
Performed independent evaluations for clients at Western State Mental Hospital.
Performed independent evaluations on children at Commonwealth Center for Children & Adolescents. Completed initial intakes for clients seeking counseling services.
Pros
everyday was different.
Cons
can drain you emotinally after awhile.

2.9