Valley Health (Virginia)

Valley Health (Virginia) Employee Reviews

It's a job but far from a career
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 9, 2016
When I started with them the organization seemed great. Very interested in its employees, competitive pay, good benefits, everything that you would want from a career. Over several years, many senior leaders have left and things have gone down hill. Thee is no concern for employees now, you're simply a number. The pay has diminished while the work load more than doubled. The benefits package has turned to welfare with high deductibles and copays. As a manager, I was forced to take a harsh view of employees while being treated like I was on the front line.
The bottom line is this organization is solely interested in the dollar with little concern for their patients and none for their employees.
Pros
Steady work and experience for your resume
Cons
Bad pay, bad benefits, poor work-life balance, bad senior management, money focused, no room for growth
Best company I ever worked for
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Teays Valley, WVAugust 16, 2016
Always staffed well, patient education is top priority. Staff is happy and eager to help one another. Great benefits! Management is always looking at making improvements for patients and staff. There's a wide scope of practice due to all the different specialities.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
having to work 4 hours on weekend monthly
If you like people, work here.
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA 22601July 31, 2016
Working for VH was rewarding when dealing with the patients.Compensation and benefits are ok. Its hard to advance. Management is always changing.
Pros
You make your own
Cons
Short breaks sometimes no breaks
Run
War memorial hospital (Former Employee) –  Berkeley Springs, WVApril 14, 2016
Pay does not match duties. Be prepared to work many hours for nothing. And management will slide in so many duties to lighten their work load and not increase your pay so be prepared to work for nothin and no advancements Avl to grow with company. And if you want to advance you better know someone already within very closly to even get considered. Management does not respect you nor conducts employee care and kiss family life goodbye, management will not care if your kids need you. They will kiss up so much in your first 6 months, then it changes. And staff for the most part is great but you will run into drama filled departments where older been there awhile staff is very set in their ways and management will not correct them, so you will be doing other staffers work as you get paid nothing and they get paid a lot for doing nothin, a blind eye. Run you will regret it of you apply. go in and just sit down with a few employees for your self while they are on break in cafe. They will fill you in on how they are treated.
Cons
Growing hospital expanding in many ways.
Lead processing technician (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 1, 2016
I've been employed here for 10 years in 2 separate departments. It is a good hospital but has lost touch with many employee needs and has fallen behind with salaries in many departments. It is a growing facility and strives towards excellence. Hopefully they will soon address the compensation issues.
Pros
Rapidly improving customer service
Cons
High management turnovers
The hospital was in Ridgewood NJ not Virginia
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Ridgewood, NJJanuary 7, 2017
The hospital was well organized everyone worked well together enjoyed working there,management was great they were there for you if you needed to talk about anything I loved working there no complaints
high cenus
Housekeeper/ floor crew (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 16, 2016
My work day starts with a focus meeting with important information that we need for the day. Than gathering supplies that I need to clean with. I learn different task everyday . My management team could cumulate better so that we can get the job done easier and efficient. There are a couple of thing that I have learn to adjust to is the low pay and working holidays and weekends. The people that I work with make the job fun and easier.
Pros
day off during the week and i work every other weekend
Cons
shorts breaks
Poor New Hire Training
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, VADecember 13, 2016
The new hire training was totally unorganized and outdated. The boss did not ask for feedback, nor accepted feedback, on poor training methods. Gossip in the facility was pretty disappointing. Communication from 'lead' employees and from the director was pretty poor as well. I also found it strange that they only seem to hire people who have relatives already working in the facility. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
required (free) CPR class through AHA
Cons
pay, work environment, poor leadership
poor management and advancement
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 24, 2016
Overall I was not satisfied with the management and the way they treated their employees. Although the money was decent and the work was productive and kept me busy I was not happy with the poor opportunities to advance and move up. I did learn new things though such as working hard for your money, the importance of a clean hospital room, and I made a lot of new friendships. I was happy with the hours and we were encouraged to pick up extra shifts when possible.
Pros
Decent Pay, Good hours, Friendly workers
Cons
Short breaks, Management, Low Staff
Progressvie healthcare, but horrible management
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 7, 2016
The upper level management is utterly ridiculous! Doesn't care what employees have to say and feel. Don't ever report anything to HR as once your manager hears about it, you will be escorted out by security and black listed from being rehired (even if your complaints/concerns are 100% true and lead to patient safety issues). Pay stinks (even though the upper management won't cut their salaries). They let all the employees who don't care keep their jobs, go on FMLA whenever they want, claim false worker's comp claims, ect, but then treat their long term employees like dirt if they dare file a worker's comp claim (even when it's witnessed by multiple co-workers). The benefits are ok, but if you are not employed in one of the actual hospitals, you are treated like a stepchild and don't get pertinent information until weeks later.
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
Management, lack of respect for long term employees, lack of communication with entities not within the hospital
Great company to work for!
Registered Nurse (RN II) (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 13, 2017
We begin with the morning shift reports then introduce ourselves to the patients. We then obtain vitals and view the pt med profiles. Meds are pulled and given if parameters are met. Then the patients attend several groups throughout the day. In this work environment everyone helps where there is a need. I enjoy seeing improvements in my patients. The hardest part for me is too not see any improvements.
Out of touch administration and manipulative supervisors
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVApril 6, 2016
When I started everyone seemed very receptive and nice. Over time, true colors began to show. Inefficient supervisors who aren't properly educated for their position, they just know who to kiss butt to. Upper administration are so out of touch they don't care. Employee satisfaction surveys are done yearly- always come back bad and nothing ever changes. Unless you want to be manipulated, taken advantage of, unappreciated, scolded for going above and beyond, retaliated against for speaking up- then stay away. Even if you are properly educated and bust your butt for this company- unless you are in the "clique" you have no chance of advancement.
Pros
Large Company- easy to transfer
Cons
Will destroy your soul
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marion, VADecember 29, 2016
Valley was an environment filled with people who simply wanted todo their jobs and provide great healthcare to geriatric patients. They were fast, effective, and caring, always paying close attention to detail.
Lots of transitions happening
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 7, 2017
There are many well meaning people here. They are attempting to roll out too many changes at once with not enough staff. The desire is there for this to be a fantastic place to work. The pay is not on par with the level of patience needed to wait on these changes.
Do not even think about working here!!
RN (Former Employee) –  WinchesterSeptember 24, 2015
In over 37 years of nursing with the last 6 as advanced practice, I would run away from this hospital system, especially their home health department or you will be their next victim!! There is quite the high turnover.

The management is all over the place and are unable to focus. I am not sure how they stay employed but then that could be the culture of the hospital itself. Several nurses have gone to administration without positive outcomes. They are unsafe when assigning patients and promise 5-6 per day but 8-10 are the norm.

One feels stress and bully-type behaviors from the time one walks in. There is much "he said, she said" behaviors and the orienting staff will report you to management for things that did not occur, most likely to keep their own jobs--several other colleagues have had the same experiences in the past year.

I have had feedback from over 12 different colleagues and think this is a notable number
Pros
Great equipment to work with and many supplies
Cons
job security unheard of and micro- management or no management
Would Recommend
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 22, 2016
The smaller hospitals are wonderful to work for. The leadership is fair, dignified, compassionate and caring. Apart from some upper level leadership at WMC, this company has been good to work for.
I would recommend VH to anyone who asked.
Pros
Compensation and benefits are fair and competitive
Excellent working environment
Senior Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 21, 2016
Coding and abstracting medical records. Work independently
Gaining excellent knowledge of ICD10. Adequate management and helpful coworkers. I very much enjoy the ability to work from home.
Excellent work place
Neurodiagnostic Technologist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 11, 2017
this was one of the most amazing places to work . i felt like i was at home had a great day every day. made me feel an appreciation for my work and co-workers.
This was a temporary part time position
Environmental Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 27, 2016
A typical day would be answering phones, typing, placing purchase orders to get the best pricing for supplies and facilitating contracts.My co-workers worked in the field replacing locks at the many correctional facilities but were great when they were around.
Pros
What I was looking for at the time
Cons
15 hours per week
very nice to work for
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 5, 2016
I worked with Valley Health and learned a lot in dealing with patients and had very nice co-workers. The hours were a little too long. Did not enjoy working every other weekend and being part time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley Health (Virginia). Our community is ready to answer.

2.9