Valley Health (Virginia)

Valley Health (Virginia) Employee Reviews

Well, I was excited to start there, but....
EPIC Super User (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 20, 2014
I was very excited to start working at Valley Health. I had been trying for years to get on at the company, but was continually dined for various reasons.

Once Valley Health started the final stages of their EpicCare rollout due to an alliance with Inova, they began hiring Super Users to help provide support to the healthcare providers that would need it during the go life.

I knew the position was temporary, but they ended up cutting us out two weeks early and of two weeks pay. I noticed during my stint there that many of the Super Users that were hired on were sons/daughters of upper management at Valley Health, many of which did very little on the job. The company is very insular, caring only about "keeping it in the family".

My favorite part of the job was having conversations with the many "peons" (ie custodians, nurses, security guards). Talking with them wasn't nearly as hard as talking with upper management, as they didn't judge you for what you said.

I doubt I'll be looking any further into a position at Valley Health anytime soon. Most people I talked with are worried for their jobs, since management doesn't want to cut their own $300,000-500,000 salaries, so they cut out the little guys. There is also fear once Inova takes over, many more will lose their job due to overlapping roles.

It's not necessarily a question of if Valley Health will be overtaken by Inova, its just a question of when will they announce it. Who knows, maybe things will take a turn for the better afterwards once the corruption is gone.
Pros
co-workers were great
Cons
low morale, fearful of losing their job, insular company, management has lost touch with everyday people

Comment – July 9, 2014

Aside from the spelling errors, I think this sums up this place

Need to be cautious
Licensed Practical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 28, 2013
I enjoyed working with a large diverse group of patients. I feel that the work load was typical for an acute care facility. I have made many life long friends and enjoyed working with my co-workers. They were people you could rely on.
Unfortunately management and the practices of this company are poor. The respect and support from management was lacking severely. The CEO feels that nurses are over paid and underworked. It was common to hear things like, "well, if you don't like it, then you can always leave, I have a ton of other people to replace you with." These were the comments made by management. Yet many times there weren't enough staff and we worked short. So hire some of those people you threaten us with.
I think the thing that I learned the most was to trust no one. This is sad for such a large company. No one is secure in there jobs. At one point 8 of my family members worked there, now only 2 remain and we don't think that will last much longer.
This company doesn't seem to want to keep their senior staff. They find that new grads are cheaper. Yes this allows for new grads to obtain knowledge but senior and experienced staff are relied upon to "carry the load" for them. Most of the staff feel that this keeps patients from getting the best care possible. Staff kill themselves trying to give good care.
I just want to caution prospective employees. The turn over is high for this facility.
Pros
diverse group of patients and co-workers.
Cons
management doesn't care about their staff. no job security.

Comment – April 22, 2013

This comment about how Valley Health hireD hits the nail on the head: by hiring 'within' it is left without--without healthy competition on a-l-l hiring levels; without effective disciplinary measures (i.e., the number of 'family' keeping 'each others' backs' which, in truth, becomes worse than disservice in patient care); without cultural differences; without mutual aptitude of improvement--daily... The practice of hiring (mostly) relatives defined and defines the slipping slope-- not just in patient care, but the extremes of 'going live' in a medical environment, within a community as insular as Winchester, continues to reverberate. It is no secret there are more fires being put out behind the scenes than is evident to the layman.

Typical Hospital Setting
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  RadiologyApril 17, 2013
My job responsibilities include the following: Compassionate patient care in which my patients needs come first (example: bringing a pillow or blanket to a patient that is cold, readjusting their position for comfort, etc.), Excellence in Film Quality and Positioning, Trauma Positioning, Use of equipment ranging from CR to Digital in companies such as Siemens, Phillips, and GE, Extensive Experience in C-Arm (GE and Phillips) cases in the Operating Room doing all surgeries from General to Neurology to Urology to Orthopedic and so on, ESWL trained, Emergency room x-ray care, “Charge” Technologist on 2nd shift with supervisor duties like scheduling, fixing issues with Physicians, answering phone calls for all modalities, etc., Computer Super User in my department for all systems including PACS, RIS-IC and QA Station, Trained in my hospital’s Film Room and being able to print images from all modalities onto film or a disc, Experienced in Telerad systems to transfer patient images and such to other facilities that also have the capability, Responsible for knowledge of Infection Control, Radiation Protection Protocols, Being up to date on all WMC required information and policies, Responsible for being CPR certified, having all vaccinations, being tested for TB on a regular basis, Keeping up my ASRT Certification with the required CE Credits, Teaching x-ray students as this is a teaching hospital.
Working in healthcare is very stressful, we did have fun and the manager tried very hard to make it a fun place to work.
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 30, 2014
Depending on which area you were registering at you would register anywhere from 10 to 70 patients a day. Registering patients is repetitious job. Collecting money from those whom may really not have the money but it is a requirement. Looking for order on patients that forgot them was often very stressful on both the patient and the employee.

When registering patients you can be as kind and a nice and you will have that one patient that no matter what you do or go out of your way, they will not be happy. You have to realize you do not know there situation in life so you cannot give back to them what they are giving you. Just know in your heart you have done everything possible to compensate that patient.

Your co-workers become your family as you spend more time with them then you do your own family. You have to realize each co-worker has different views and different personalities and adapt to them and not get caught up in negativity.

The hardest part of that job was seeing patients that were in distress and sometimes not having all of the tools to perform your job duties.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the patients and working with my co-workers.
Pros
enjoyed when the volunteers done fund raisers for the hospital.
Cons
many times it was to busy to take a lunch or break. often short handed.
If I could score lower than one star I would
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 7, 2014
A typical day is busy, and short staffed in the clinical laboratory.
What I learned most was to rely on your co-workers, not the management team. They will throw anyone under the bus to save their own behind. They have no interaction or communication with the staff and when their day is done they are out the door and you are left to fend for yourselves. Do not cross them for they will come after you with a vengeance. Your are a walking target with a bulls eye on your back. Very punitive culture.
The co-workers are the best but have been beaten down by the management staff. Many need these jobs to provide for their families so the typical comment is to fly low and stay under the radar.
The hardest part of the job is working with equipment that cannot handle the work load and the lack of communication between supervisors and staff.
The most enjoyable part of the job, other than my eve shift co-workers? NONE
Cons
no full breaks or meals, benefits decline every year, numerous management issues. they just bury their heads in the sand and hope the problems go away.
Do not even think about working here!!
RN (Former Employee) –  WinchesterSeptember 24, 2015
In over 37 years of nursing with the last 6 as advanced practice, I would run away from this hospital system, especially their home health department or you will be their next victim!! There is quite the high turnover.

The management is all over the place and are unable to focus. I am not sure how they stay employed but then that could be the culture of the hospital itself. Several nurses have gone to administration without positive outcomes. They are unsafe when assigning patients and promise 5-6 per day but 8-10 are the norm.

One feels stress and bully-type behaviors from the time one walks in. There is much "he said, she said" behaviors and the orienting staff will report you to management for things that did not occur, most likely to keep their own jobs--several other colleagues have had the same experiences in the past year.

I have had feedback from over 12 different colleagues and think this is a notable number
Pros
Great equipment to work with and many supplies
Cons
job security unheard of and micro- management or no management
Stupid equals happy
Lab (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 15, 2015
The culture of this facility was a great fit of that of a small minded community eternally stuck about twenty years in the past. Thinking was discouraged and not welcomed. The corrupt members of management and HR continually looked the other way at the general staff's cries for help against the bullying by other management members. Anyone that disagreed with management's views were labeled as negative and belittled on a daily basis. Most of the staff are just so broken, beat down and overworked that the quality of work that is produced is frightening. Working here is like being In abusive relationship, people feel trapped into believing they have no where else to go and think it's ok to allow others to treat them like garbage. The only way to get ahead here is to lose your self respect and integrity before walking into the doors of this hospital.
Pros
the windows
Cons
No follow-up or follow through by HR and/or management
Embarrassed to even say I worked here.
Financial counselor (Former Employee) –  winchester medical centerJune 2, 2015
Took a pay cut to be closer to home because I had young children. Ended up having to leave for better pay. I was told I would be put on the phones and put into rotation with the other staff...never happened. Everyone was too busy worrying about EPIC to even train me. The kicker here is that I gave my two weeks and abided by all the "resigning" protocol and the supervisor refuses to rehire me....not just me but anyone who formerly worked in that department. I still see the supervisor from time to time and have to deal with negative remarks. I also felt as if people of other ethnicities were treated with less dignity. To sum it all up...if you enjoy middle school antics and grown up babies...this is the place for you!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything but the location....especially management
Company has lock on Shenandoah Valley and uses staff as dispensable
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  ICUDecember 11, 2013
Poor morale is pervasive throughout institution due to management increasing demands while lowering compensation.
The floors are usually short staffed with unreasonable patient assignments. Those who are brave enough to speak up about concerns are harassed by management.
Pay scale and benefits have been cut for last two years.
I have personally watched my coworkers who are exceptional professional nurses forced to work in a horrible environment or leave.
With few options of employers in the valley, for professional nurses the choice is to drive long distances or relocate or put up with the poor treatment.
Pros
close to home
Cons
benefits, management, morale
Extremely insular; defensive of questionable practices, et al.
AA (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 2, 2012
Management tends towards conservatism of the backwards thinking sort, especially concerning hiring and retention practices. It is an extremely insular environment, regarding its employees, but management (this is a general statement, having worked in 12 departments, not all of them) shores up the extremes within a work environment while having little or no respect for those who have some role in the balance of such a thing.

Most employees are 'local', and have a hatred for cultural differences.
Pros
once hired, and trained, there is an effort to retain an employee--but too often that includes a poor worker.
Cons
breaks? forget it. lunch? maybe. bathroom? have a strong, healthy bladder.

Comment – January 28, 2013

An ED doctor violated my HIPPA Rights and this company didn't seem to care.

Great learning enviornment
Registered Nurse II Critical Care Step Down unit (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 28, 2015
I was hired fresh out of nursing school to the Critical Care internship followed by a full-tme position in the Critical Care step-down unit. The internship was a great educational experience and a fantastic way for my to apply my skills and knowledge learned in nursing school. My time in the step-down unit had its ups and downs. At first I felt like I was thrown to the wolves. Being a high acuity and high patient turn over unit the first few months felt overwhelming. Looking back over the last two years, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. I learned to care for a variety of critically ill patients and also learned the importance of strong team work.
Explaining my jobs and what I do on my job
Cafeteria Aide (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 17, 2013
When I worked at WMC there were lots of things I was trained to do there. Sometimes I would work as a cashier, line cook, clean and straighten dining room. Other times I might have to go into the kitchen and help out with building patient trays and delivering them. I believe everyday you lean something new because no 2 days are alike. I loved meeting new people and helping them with directions or anything other problems they would have. I would have to say the hardest part of working anywhere with lots of people there are bound to be many people who call out all the time and then make it bad on others. But other than that problem I loved my job.
Pros
very good money
Cons
there really aren't any
Once a secure Employer
Neurosciences System Administrator (Current Employee) –  winchester, vaOctober 31, 2014
I have been with Valley Health for 15 years. Throughout this time I have felt supported and encouraged to improve upon myself and was rewarded by having opportunites to move up within the company. With a change in management in 2010 and and overall change in the climate at Winchester Medical Center, I now feel that Valle Health is not a very secure place to work. There have been hundreds of layoffs within the past couple years which has never before happened. The area where I work has low morale and employees are leaving every day.
Pros
independence and good compenstation including allowed overtime.
Cons
poor management, poor guidance, poor staffing
Very pleasant hospital to work in for my last few years of nursing
Staff Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 10, 2014
THe day started with assignment of patients, report on these pateints, then rounds to check running medications, pt. condition and assessment. Medications and baths were next followed by rounds with MDs and review of pt. progress,change in meds or treatments and plan for the day.

Our unit leaders and supervisor were all very helpful. You felt you were working on a team.
Hardest part of the job was usually not enough staff to meet pt. needs.

The best part were the patients and bonds created, and the privilege of trying to help them.
Pros
good salary, appreciative managemen
Cons
staffing, as always, anywhere i have worked.
Nice place to work with nice staff and great patients
Certified Nurses Assistant / Transporter (Current Employee) –  Front Royal, VAFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day involves flexibility, adaptability, and time management to ensure proper care is given to each patient no matter what the day brings. Management is ok. Coworkers are helpful and caring. Staffing isn't alwats at the level it should be, which is to be expected in health care. The demand is there, but the amount of applications is not. The most enjoyable part of the job is the patient interaction. It is a pleasure to take care of them and to turn situations around for the better.
Pros
friendly coworkers, good benefits
Cons
short breaks or no breaks, understaffed, no significant pay raises
If you are an LPN chances of growth is poor, but work expected is the same as any other nurse
Intake LPN (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VaJuly 3, 2012
company do not allow growth with LPN's yet you are expected to carry a full load of similar pt's as the RN's, you are reminded daily that your choices are limited no matter how much experience you have.
If you are having an issue with your supervisor, your chances of getting problems solved are null/void and often with consequences.
Bottom Line: Not the place to be if you are an LPN, salary the worst in area, I also worked at an Nursing home/Rehab and made $4.00 more per hour with benefits.
Cons
just a poor place to be since it monopolizes the area
Understanding and positive enviornment
transport (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 10, 2015
This is a great work place with great co workers. The management is very understanding to your schedule and works with you to your needs. It is hard at first fitting in but you are not there to make friends. Everyone is very nice and the shifts are great. Lunch is always healthy but tastes great too, a lot of variety. The only problem is lack of pay for what you are doing in the job and the fact that you have to go through HR before you can get to the actual people who are going to be hiring you.
Pros
Benefits, Extra additions (i.e. gym, cafeteria, childcare), flexibility
Cons
Pay, Trnasitioning jobs
Poor management and poor compensation
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Critical careDecember 11, 2013
Valley Health has a monopoly on healthcare in Shenandoah Valley and has cut wages and benefits for the last two years.
They seem to care little for the employees.
Nurses are forced to take unreasonable assignments and management will harass you if you speak up.
The best nurses are forced to stop reporting concerns or work in a hostile environment.
One of few options in the Valley for professional nurses so many put up with poor working environment rather than have a long commute or relocate.
Pros
coworkers, close to home
Cons
need for antidepressants working in these conditions
Cafeteria Living
Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 14, 2015
Working down in the cafeteria for me was always fun because I was kind of like a "jack of all trades". Each day I came in, because I was cross trained in every position, I was always at a different station so it kept me on my toes and I loved it. I worked the deli, the salad bar, the grill, the pizza station, the hot food bar, the dining room, and the cash register. The most enjoyable part about working down there was always being in a different position. It kept me busy and interested. The hardest part was remembering to fill out my production sheets.
Pros
fun work, great employees, keeps you on your toes
It was ok...
RN (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 17, 2013
Worked there for 10+ years and really enjoyed my position, however, job security is horrendous. Don't get sick or have to miss time due to extended illness. Saw many people lose their jobs during my time there. Management sucks; the one good manager we had in our department was "let go" only to be followed by rapidly changing line-up. Pay was ok...could have been better. Like the other reviews say, Valley Health has a monopoly in the area, buying up more and more facilities to add to the family, but failing to take care of those who really run the home.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
compensation, management, don't care about employees