Valley Health

Valley Health Employer Reviews

Educational
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Woodstock, VANovember 9, 2014
Have learned much about DME. Insurance guidelines change often and it's important to keep up to date on these changes.
Most difficult part of job is not being able to bill insurance for some equipment under their insurance guidelines.
Once a secure Employer
Neurosciences System Administrator (Current Employee), winchester, vaOctober 31, 2014
Pros: independence and good compenstation including allowed overtime.
Cons: poor management, poor guidance, poor staffing
I have been with Valley Health for 15 years. Throughout this time I have felt supported and encouraged to improve upon myself and was rewarded by having opportunites to move up within the company. With a change in management in 2010 and and overall change in the climate at Winchester Medical Center, I now feel that Valle Health is not a very secure – more... place to work. There have been hundreds of layoffs within the past couple years which has never before happened. The area where I work has low morale and employees are leaving every day. – less
Valley Health
Licensed Practical Nurse, Urgent Care (Current Employee), Winchester, VAOctober 2, 2014
Pay is low, the people are great to work with. Benefits are ok.
Nice environment
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee), Gallipolis Ferry, WVSeptember 30, 2014
A nice place to work. Being able to work in a rural community has been invaluable. I was lucky to work with a very knowledgeable staff who cares about the patients.
CNA
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee), Romney, WVJuly 10, 2014
Pros: working with the residents
Cons: working 3rd shift
loved working with the residents and enjoyed the people that was there, hardest part was getting some of the people up in the mornings
Well, I was excited to start there, but....
EPIC Super User (Former Employee), Winchester, VAJune 20, 2014
Pros: co-workers were great
Cons: low morale, fearful of losing their job, insular company, management has lost touch with everyday people
I was very excited to start working at Valley Health. I had been trying for years to get on at the company, but was continually dined for various reasons.

Once Valley Health started the final stages of their EpicCare rollout due to an alliance with Inova, they began hiring Super Users to help provide support to the healthcare providers that would need – more... it during the go life.

I knew the position was temporary, but they ended up cutting us out two weeks early and of two weeks pay. I noticed during my stint there that many of the Super Users that were hired on were sons/daughters of upper management at Valley Health, many of which did very little on the job. The company is very insular, caring only about "keeping it in the family".

My favorite part of the job was having conversations with the many "peons" (ie custodians, nurses, security guards). Talking with them wasn't nearly as hard as talking with upper management, as they didn't judge you for what you said.

I doubt I'll be looking any further into a position at Valley Health anytime soon. Most people I talked with are worried for their jobs, since management doesn't want to cut their own $300,000-500,000 salaries, so they cut out the little guys. There is also fear once Inova takes over, many more will lose their job due to overlapping roles.

It's not necessarily a question of if Valley Health will be overtaken by Inova, its just a question of when will they announce it. Who knows, maybe things will take a turn for the better afterwards once the corruption is gone. – less

July 9, 2014

Aside from the spelling errors, I think this sums up this place

Hard work and long hours
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee), Romney, WVMay 9, 2014
Enjoyed the employees. The boss was very unfriendly. I was hired as a CNA and ended up having to do work for just the boss such as taking notes for her during meetings. I did not enjoy doing that. It was a fun job and I enjoyed working with everyone
Working in healthcare is very stressful, we did have fun and the manager tried very hard to make it a fun place to work.
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee), Winchester, VAApril 30, 2014
Pros: enjoyed when the volunteers done fund raisers for the hospital.
Cons: many times it was to busy to take a lunch or break. often short handed.
Depending on which area you were registering at you would register anywhere from 10 to 70 patients a day. Registering patients is repetitious job. Collecting money from those whom may really not have the money but it is a requirement. Looking for order on patients that forgot them was often very stressful on both the patient and the employee.

When – more... registering patients you can be as kind and a nice and you will have that one patient that no matter what you do or go out of your way, they will not be happy. You have to realize you do not know there situation in life so you cannot give back to them what they are giving you. Just know in your heart you have done everything possible to compensate that patient.

Your co-workers become your family as you spend more time with them then you do your own family. You have to realize each co-worker has different views and different personalities and adapt to them and not get caught up in negativity.

The hardest part of that job was seeing patients that were in distress and sometimes not having all of the tools to perform your job duties.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the patients and working with my co-workers. – less
home
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), Winchester, VAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: easy commute
Cons: can't leave hospital grounds for lunch and no room for advancement
Great coworkers.
Management not organized
No job security
Fair place to work at.
Collection Associate / Authorization Rep. (Current Employee), Winchester, VAMarch 5, 2014
Great supervisor, nice working enviroment. The depatment I am in has a good connection with each other. Have been here for 17 years. Only looking to leave due to relocating.
Billed thrid party insurances
Insurance Clerk/Eligibility (Former Employee), Yuma, AZJanuary 8, 2014
The outpatient surgery center's environment was great. My position was to work with patients, representatives from other doctor's offices and insurances. Some of the duties included scheduling appointments, worked directly with patients, and billed & collected monies from insurance companies.

Management was great and worked very well with all of the – more... outpatient personnel. – less
Poor management and poor compensation
Nurse (Current Employee), Critical careDecember 11, 2013
Pros: coworkers, close to home
Cons: need for antidepressants working in these conditions
Valley Health has a monopoly on healthcare in Shenandoah Valley and has cut wages and benefits for the last two years.
They seem to care little for the employees.
Nurses are forced to take unreasonable assignments and management will harass you if you speak up.
The best nurses are forced to stop reporting concerns or work in a hostile environment.
One – more... of few options in the Valley for professional nurses so many put up with poor working environment rather than have a long commute or relocate. – less
Great first time job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Herkimer, NYJuly 26, 2013
Pros: getting to know your residents
When I first got to work I would bring residents to the cafeteria when all residents where in cafeteria I handed out trays after all trays were handed out I would go and make residents beds and every now and then go check to see if any residents were ready to come back to the floor after all bed where made and residents were back from cafeteria and – more... beds were made I would go around with the snack cart and offer snacks to residents then I would bring residents to cafeteria for lunch after lunch I would bring residents who smoked outside or did errands for the nurse. – less
Internship
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee), French Lick, INJuly 23, 2013
What a great opportunity to make sure this was the career path that I was truly wanting and going to pursue. This gave me the outlook that I just needed, showing me that this is what I desired to do for the rest of my life.
It was ok...
RN (Former Employee), Winchester, VAJuly 17, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: compensation, management, don't care about employees
Worked there for 10+ years and really enjoyed my position, however, job security is horrendous. Don't get sick or have to miss time due to extended illness. Saw many people lose their jobs during my time there. Management sucks; the one good manager we had in our department was "let go" only to be followed by rapidly changing line-up. Pay was ok...could – more... have been better. Like the other reviews say, Valley Health has a monopoly in the area, buying up more and more facilities to add to the family, but failing to take care of those who really run the home. – less
My job is alway challenging and changing. I love it!
Executive Secretary (Current Employee), Winchester, VAMarch 27, 2013
Pros: very pleasant work environment. great people.
I am extremely happy at Valley Health. I have been there for 15 years. Valley Health is a great place to work. I work for three executives. Every day is a new challenge.
Productive and fun work environment with many different types of people.
Cashier/Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Romney, WVFebruary 22, 2013
I liked working at Valley Health. There are all sorts of people that work there, which I enjoyed because I am a people person. I enjoyed the fast-paced environment. I also enjoyed never knowing what to expect in a typical day.
Working enviorment can be overwellming
Reesident Assistant (Former Employee), Herkimer, NYFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: residents are extreamly sweet
Cons: co-workers can be very rude
Working on a 32 room unit can be overwellming at first. The residents are vrey nice and have a lot of intrasting stories about their past and what they've wittnest. Most of the co-workers on the other hand can be very rude. They also will lie about anything to keep them selves out of troble.
Good team support
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee), Winchester, VAJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: 12 hour shifts allowed for free weekdays to make appointments.
Cons: high stress, short breaks and long shifts, no room to advance.
I worked in the emergency room registering patients and ordering needed test from the lab. I made follow up appointments when needed. The hardest part of the job was working with families of accident victims and working the night shift. I like being part of the team and we were supportive of each other.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Woodstock, VADecember 10, 2012
Great people and great team enviroment. They work as a family when there is someone in need, whether within the hospital or outside of the hospital.

About Valley Health

Valley Health is a full service, regional health care system serving the Northern Shenandoah Valley of VA, WV, and MD. As a non-profit – Read more