Valley Medical Center

Valley Medical Center Employer Reviews

Valley Medical Center
Medical Insurance-Follow Up (Former Employee), Renton, WANovember 7, 2014
Pros: great salary 23.00 per hr
Cons: temporary assignment
A temporary job while they were transiting their department,
For God's sake Med Techs don't work night shift at VMC!
Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Renton, WAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: nice updated equipment, true generalist work, good benifits, nice co-workers.
Cons: max stress, extremly busy, hostile and punitive.
This entire Lab is stressed to the max, but nights is the whipping boy. I've worked in other very busy stat labs but this place is horrible. I don't mind working my rear off, the day flies by. I loved the work, very much generalist work and they have a lot of nice new updated equipment. But the manager ruins the atmosphere. They're down 2 techs because – more... the manager continues to run people off. (btw, they only advertise one at a time) When they hire someone they often don't last through the training period. You do lots here, nights/evenings do micro as well and it requires a 3 month training period and you need to be able to work short immediately for night shift. A major problem is that you're often put into positions where you can't follow protocol. I had 5 blood gases and 3 critical values in Chemistry and 4 critical values in Hematology. I was alone because the other tech was setting up a critical positive blood culture in Micro. There's no way to run the blood gases and call 7 critical values with in the 10 minute time frame allowed for each critical???

The manager rules with a negative attitude and pits people against each other. She encourages write-ups and has employees rate each other and tells you about random negative comments people say. The shifts are not treated equally and the leads tend to write up nights the most since they're writing up such trivial stuff they don't want to give them to the tech working next to them. The manager keeps an excel spread sheet with your mistakes, every one punitive and equal. If you entered a result wrong that counts the same as putting dots (10.9.14) on your dates cause she likes slashes10/9/14. The Quality Assurance Reports where created as a learning process but they are all punitive. You work your guts out every night and in the AM all you see is angry faces, the atmosphere brings out the worst in everyone.

The Union rep says that she goes to Valley for more disciplinary reasons than all her other hospitals combined, that says it all. – less
Fun to work and a very productive environment
Data Entry (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: work environment was very good.
Cons: manager micromanaged
Liked working there a lot and people were very nice, work was repetitious but knew that in the beginning. The only thing bad was that the Manager micromanaged.
patient acct rep II insurance follow up
patient account rep II (Former Employee), renton, WASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: coworkers are dedicated to the patients that they help
Cons: favortism, lies, and very poor management
`the manager of hospital billing plays favorites. people who have worked for the company over 10 years are overlooked for promotions & people who have barely been there a year are promoted; people with much less experience and knowledge of the field. the manager openly admits that she likes to work with temps because the union MAKES IT HARDER TO GET – more... RID OF PEOPLE. if she does not like you, or if her favorites do not like you, she will look for, or even make up reasons, to fire you. she believes all gossip & does nothing to shut it down, but if the gossip is about her or her coordinator, they are quick to ask who is saying what, so those people can be punished.
the workload is unreasonable...you are to complete 50 accounts per day. i have never in my 13 years in this industry been made to complete 50 accounts per day in follow up. she does not care if you are sick, she only cares about if it is you who are sick or a family member because 'you have certain rights if it is your family.' and are 'protected' i was told if it is a family member who is sick.
i have a disability and i was forced to use a broken chair, the manager refused to get me one that wasn't broken. they do not accomodate people with disabilities there. it was my dream to work for valley medical center, but that dream turned into a nightmare. i was brought on as a temp for a denial specialist position & was told three days later not to tell anyone why i was there...very shady! it was proven that she lied to the union about my employment there. management is not trustworthy. – less
Inconsistent management makes the care of this organization...inconsistent
Performance Improvement Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 30, 2014
As most for-profit hospitals in this day and age; it's not the seriousness of your injury or illness but how well it can be coded that determines your care. Physicians and nurses with poor English skills increase the risks of medical mistakes which can cost patients their lives. In this hospital the physicians call the shots and administration succumbs – more... to their wishes. The tail wags the dog. – less
I enjoy my job at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in Labor & Delivery, I just need to work close to home
CA-Labor & Delivery RN (Current Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: reliable hours, 1:1 nurse/patient ratio/great teamwork/great management
Cons: recently hours cut forcing me to work more days/wk/away from home & kids
I have been working happily as an L&D RN for the past eight years at Valley Medical Center but lately I have needed to add days to my schedule for the hours cut from 12hrs to 8hrs per shift. For this reason, I need to work closer to home in order to see my kids more.
My typical day at work includes a laboring patient 1:1, or circulating in the OR, or – more... managing a preterm, gestational diabetic, or gestational hypertensive patient. Many of our patients here at VMC are Spanish speaking and I am bilingual.
The hardest part of my job is inducing a patient who has a fetal demise.
The most enjoyable part of my job is sharing the miracle of life with a happy couple. – less
One of the best Hopitals to work for
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 19, 2014
During my time at Valley Medical Center I was able to advance my career from being a Surgical Tech to Nurse Manager to System Analyst. Valley is a very progressive hosiptal and was not affraid to be the first to attampt something new.
A great place to work!
Back Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Renton, WAAugust 14, 2014
I truly enjoyed working at Valley Medical Center! They do a lot for their employees, like discounted Mariners, Seahawks, and Sounders tickets.
Your co-workers are like family
Staff RN CCU (Former Employee), Renton, WAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: cohesive staff & very team oriented; fantastic doctors
Cons: not enough breaks
The best place I've ever worked! CCU is busy and patients are very sick. Everyone pitches in and all work together. They have state of the art equipment and supplies to aid in taking the best possible care of the patients. There is an excellent working relationship between the ICU doctors and ICU/CCU nurses. I wish I still worked there!
Educational with flexible schedule.
NEUROLOGICAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Renton, WAJuly 15, 2014
Educational with flexible schedule. learned to stage while running a live studies(usually 2 studies a night).
Great place to work at
LVN (Current Employee), san joseJune 24, 2014
VMC is a great place to work at including staff, management and diversity.
wonderful organization with horrible management
Lab Support (Former Employee), renton,waMay 22, 2014
Pros: discount on food in cafeteria which is located upstairs, great benefits, pay
Cons: unappreciative management, favoritism, back stabbing
I had to let go of my job that i worked over 8 years, to come here and join the VMC and i believe i was let go from VMC for personal reasons by manager since per union contract I was supposed to be provided a form which would explain why, and I never did. Manager is very rude and sweeps off people left and right like dirt by letting people go. Not sure – more... how great company like Valley tolerates a manager like this. All I can say DO NOT WORK HERE as long as the manager that has been there for decades is still not retired (which is long overdue). – less
A diverse workplace with motivated individuals
Student Registered Nurse (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 15, 2014
Pros: staff, patients
Cons: short breaks, understaffed, condition of equipment
VMC is a diverse place to work with motivated staff members and great patients. The facilities are dated but an extensive remodel is in progress. The staff at VMC makes it a joy to be at work. It is a teaching hospital, and as such the staff care about teaching students and preparing them for their careers.
Good benefits
Medical Technologist (Current Employee), Renton, WAMay 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks, unfair management, stressful, leads, high turn over in workers, job security, unhappy coworkers
This was the worst job I had ever had. The only way j would ever return is if the manager were to retire and the leads would leave. It is a very hostile work environment and I can not believe VA allows them to work that way. If you are looking for life long career, DO NOT work here! Very cut throat!
productive and fun place to work at.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Renton, WAApril 26, 2014
Pros: seeing residents become real doctors.
Cons: need alot of patientce to work with residents
i loved working at valley medical center. i was treated well and paid well. If i didn't have my health problem at that time i would have never left. Valley was my home for last 10 years. i will miss it but i am ready to try something new.
Do NOT work here
RT (Former Employee), RentonMarch 26, 2014
Cons: bad management
Valley was bought out U of W, before this it was mis-managed, lost there RT director and never has recovered from this, employee's have gone on strike and quit. If you apply for any RT positions they never call you or make any contact.
Great benefits and pay
lab worker (Current Employee), Renton,WAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: sincere physicians who appreciate the fast turn around time of test results.
Cons: physicians and management who belittled staff without repercissions.
In a very productive department in the hospital, I feel that the director has her head in the sand like an Ostrich. The manager is like a bull dog allowed to treat anyone any way that she wants without repercussion. The manager is extremely abusive and belittling, and encourages coworkers to "tattle" on each other on a daily basis, and has shared personal – more... information of employees with other co-workers. I feel that an organization that teaches it's employees to be considerate of diversity, should make sure that the leaders of each department is actually practicing that. – less
Work crew overall was great
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Renton, WAFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: great benefits, great patients
Cons: short staffed, poor management
The staff was great. Management needs improvement. Overall I was fairly happy there. I learned a great deal from most staff and doctors. My co-workers work easy to work with and lighti-hearted. The hardest part of the job was being understaffed. The most enjoyable part was the patients. I loved working with the patients. That was what the job was all – more... about. – less
Nice workplace atmosphere
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee), Lewiston, IDFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: stable leadership and management
Cons: lack of communication and interaction with other departments
I had worked at VMC for 19 years and the only reason I left was because I was given the opportunity to work at a large university.
Great place to work!
Imaging Assistant/Courier (Former Employee), Renton, WAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits.
Valley Medical Center is an excellent place to work. Lots of employees stay with VMC for many years. I had opportunity to meet lots of people. Employee oriented with great values!

1 2 3