Valley Mental Health Employee Reviews

A real servivce to the community
Director of Property Mgt. (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 21, 2016
Great place to give service to the community, a little unstable as it required a contract with Salt Lake County to continue. Contract was lost to Optum Healthcare causing loss of many jobs
Pros
steady
Cons
lost contract
If you are not a therapist there is no oppertunity to advance
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 19, 2016
I had a high stress job working directly with clients. There was little understanding and support from upper management. The hourly pay rate was not enough for me to support myself.
Pros
summer and holidays off
Cons
low hourly wage
culture diversity classes. Fixing computers. Folllow up client insurance
Computer Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 3, 2015
Learned a lot of productive solutions. Help maintain the well being of individuals. It was a great company to work for. Ceo made poor choices for the company that made it lay off over 200 people.
Pros
helping educate people
Cons
some didnt want the help
Problems within, no response to feedback
Inpatient Residential Forensic Addiction Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 25, 2015
Seemed more important to look good than to do good. Often prisoners would complain that they were not getting the life skills they needed to effectively stay clean and sober. Often prisoners requests would go unanswered and a deaf ear was managements response. Heavy on management. Not enough office space to do work. Low pay. High expectations.
Company undergoing restructuring process
Licensed Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 4, 2015
Working with the clients is very gratifying. Work load and billable expectations can be taxing at times. Many staff and providers are professional and great to work with and are very dedicated to making a difference in people's lives.
Pros
Rewarding and satisfying work experience
Cons
Lower compensation and regressing benefits
Summary
Recruiting Manager (Current Employee) –  Murray, UtahFebruary 17, 2015
Recruiting, interviewing and onboarding process.
Trained and conducted New Employee Orientation
Handed out new employee paperwork
Conducted BCI and TB tests
Job fairs
Supported employee situations that arose
Open communication with employees and offered resources for goals and support
Conducted HR employee handbook training
Reference checks
Support to management and outside organizations
Maintained employee files
Cons
Healthcare, pay
Intense workplace
Adolescent Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 26, 2014
Working here, you're magnetically locked in the complex with 8 young delinquents (male or female). There is constantly bickering and fighting among the clients and there isn't enough staff to keep the negative behaviors to a minimum without using over-assertive tones. High stress job and you'll seldom get a kid in there that believes in the program and respects the staff 100% of the time.
Pros
Teaching skills groups that are easily received by the clients.
Cons
No breaks, high-stress, iffy coworkers.
I enjoyed helping the client and staff.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 29, 2012
Set appointments for clients with the Doctor for their Meds or see their social worker.
File
answer phone take messages.
Co workers were fine I got along with them all. The hardest part of my job was the management. My supervisor was rude if I did something she didn't like she wouldn't take me in her office she would yell or tell me off in front of co workers and the clients..
Pros
enjoyed helping the clients and co-workers
Cons
wasn't a postive job.
Valley Mental Health
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahSeptember 9, 2013
I learned much in my 13 years at Valley Mental Health. I learned how important but how overlooked mental health and substance abuse is viewed by the community in general. The hardest part of my job was the never ending over extended meetings. I would have to agree with the former Mayor Peter Corroon's assistant when she said that Mayor Corroon believed no meeting should ever last more than 30 minutes. I most enjoyable part of Valley Mental Health was that I found some incredibly talented people who want to make a difference to the forgotten people with mental illness.
Pros
Health and dental benefits
Cons
Too much work and too little staff
great job for someone who can tune out babies crying all the time
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 29, 2013
unsanitary work environment...worked with children in VERY small rooms without the proper equipment to work with children. Other employees had either no work experience or no knowledge of their job which posed risks to clients.
Pros
nice supervisor, understanding of issues yet made no effort to change them
Cons
bad work environment when it came to the building and equipment
An enjoyable place to work. Never dreaded a Monday.
Citrix Administrator (Current Employee) –  5965 S 900 E, Murray UTFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day usually started with resolving any network or user issues after which we were able to work on projects.

I learned a great deal about Citrix, VMWare, Windows 2008 R2, Powershell and VB scripting.

Management was great. We were always encouraged to learn new technologies and able to work on projects without being micro-managed.

I made a lot of life long friends with co-workers. Everyone was more than willing to share knowledge and experience.

Hardest part of the job was probably not being able to work on projects without distraction.

Best part of the job was to implement and learn about new technologies.
Pros
State Retirement, Awesome management, Creativitiy encouraged.
Cons
Under staffed. No proper IT triage in place.
new practice
ARTEC south unit team lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 26, 2015
This was a new practice and I was very new to my healthcare career. The psychologist that I worked with were so good to me in learning and I loved being a part of the care given to patients with traumatic brain injuries. Very fulfilling watching them get better with each visit.
Pros
owner sold practice
Cons
good program to be involved with
Resource Familyi Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kearns, UTJuly 17, 2014
Good program to be involved with; provided help for youth; enjoyed working with the other employees
Pros
good work environment
Cons
company moved their location
Excellent company
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTJune 13, 2014
Really enjoy starting a laboratory from the very beginning. I learned every aspect of how a laboratory works, from the billing, computers, instrument, supplies, etc.
Company in transition
Program Manager/Assistant Unit Director (Current Employee) –  Carmen B. Pingree CenterJuly 7, 2013
Carmen B. Pingree Center is an outstanding program. Excellence, teamwork and person centered care are top priority. Great staff, great families.
Rehab Aide (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 9, 2012
They are a great employer. Everyone knows who you are, on all management levels. Friendly environment. All in all a great place, but pay is low.
Difficult and stagnant
Staff Development Trainer (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTFebruary 25, 2014
This company is struggling right now internally with no clear vision of the future of this company.
Fun Place to work An close to home
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVNovember 20, 2013
Valley is an ok place to work for they could do a lot of thing different though to keep staff..