Valley National Bank Employee Reviews

Good starting point as small company
Part Time Teller (Former Employee) –  Sparta, NJMarch 29, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at Valley, and they were very gracious in my maternity leave. They went through a slew of managers, but the sales manager who is still there, was the best and most fair I've seen.
Pros
Hours, Pay
fun workplace
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Passaic, NJMarch 7, 2016
friendly co workers and managers. A typical is helping customers with there daily bank transactions. Like chasing checks, depositing and withdrawing money from their accounts. hardest parts could be identifying counterfeit bills and also keeping your box with no difference at the end of the day.
Pros
flexible hours to work
Cons
short breaks and to much responsibilities
productive
Statement Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMarch 3, 2016
 Maintained files of cancelled checks and customers’ signatures.
 Compared previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, and reconcile discrepancies.
 Prepared statements for distribution to customers’ and stuffed envelopes.
Pleasant place to work
COLLECTIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJFebruary 23, 2016
Nice place to work

Pleasant co-workers

Close to home in a very nice neighborhood environment

Good working hours

Learned about banking policies and procedures
Pros
NICE VACATION TIME
Cons
LITTLE TIME FOR BREAKS
Safe with a great group of people
Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2016
ability to learn and grow if you really work hard at it. Not the most progressive corporate culture out there, status quo rules the roost...
Great Place to work
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Little Silver, NJDecember 31, 2015
My bank was bought out from Valley but I had the same management so nothing really changed. I enjoyed my time there and working with people.
Very productive and successful.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 11, 2015
The management was very helpful and extremely organized. It was fun working with the team I had. I learned a lot while I was working in this company, it help me grow.
fun place to work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Belleville, NJNovember 6, 2015
Nice place to work in, looking for something better. Easy Job, good cooperation , looking for advancement. Get along well with people, enjoy the fast paced enviroment
Banking
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Newark, NJNovember 4, 2015
I loved working for this bank. It was a small friendly work environment. We knew each and everyone of our customers and their needs. I enjoyed the personal service I was able to provide to each person who walked in our branch.
Customer Service, Training Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 1, 2015
Upper management interacts on their personal relationships with subordinates. There's no recognition for employees if you do not fit the face of the majority of upper management's circle. Salary's aren't competitive; subordinates should not be making more than their managers. The company is not uniformed, it lacks structure and professionalism from the top to the bottom.
Pros
NONE
Cons
NOT CONSISTENT WITH COMPANY'S PROCEDURES
Knowledgeable and fun place to work
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Succasunna, NJOctober 20, 2015
A typical day at work would be handling customer transactions and proving our teller work. I learned how important banks were to the residents, communities, and businesses. Also, I learned about the time value of money and mortgage loans. Overall, management did a fantastic job of keeping our customers satisfied. My co-workers and I would work together to maintain the success of our branch. The hardest part of the job was finding your mistakes after a teller proof sheet would have an error. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into work everyday and interacting with my customers and co-workers.
Flexible and family friendly
Teller (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 28, 2015
Depending on the branch, working for valley can be rewarding or highly stressful. Due to the amount of branches closing, remaining branches are either understaffed or overstaffed (with no in between).
Pros
Good healthcare benefits and Decent breaks
Cons
poor incentives and managment
Customer service
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Union, NJSeptember 5, 2015
Customer service was a always our number one priority. The environment was friendly the team we had was enjoyable to work with.
benefits
Cons
short staff
Valley was a joy and pleasant to work for
General Teller Services (Former Employee) –  295 fifth new york,ny 10016August 10, 2015
My typical day was calm and relaxing, I learned Head Teller position.Management was very pleasant to work for.Co-workers were very nice and a joy to be around. The hardest part of the job was getting hand of things.The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care customers with their friendly smiles everyday.
Great for people trying to get experience in banking field
Teller (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJAugust 4, 2015
Typical day at work includes assisting multiple customers. Making sure that you do not show a difference in your cash. Great stepping stone for someone who wants to establish a career in banking.
Pros
Hours, Great Co-workers
Cons
some days are slow
will recomend to students and anybody who wants to apply for a job
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Fort leeAugust 3, 2015
Very interesting and fun place to work, management is highly professional and supportive, every day you can learn something new, excelent customer service cross training, great benefits.
Pros
free coffee and bagels during training or meeting
Cons
no cons
I enjoyed the job.
CSR/Teller/New Accounts (Former Employee) –  Langley, OKAugust 1, 2015
Most of my days were spent working with the public to ensure that all of their needs were met. Somedays it would be opening accounts and others it would be more taking care of small things like debit cards and online banking. I became close to most of my co-workers and developed good relationships. The hardest part of the job was not getting enough training to do all of the things I desired to do. The most enjoyable part was getting to know both employees and customers.
Pros
Employees are great, hours, benefits
Cons
Not enough training, constantly changing policies
Easy going job
BANK TELLER (Current Employee) –  Little Falls, NJJuly 19, 2015
Very repetitive and you'll easily get bored. It's crazy how often petty office drama does occur in between. They always talk about how they want sales but don't do anything about it if you don't make them. Little to no commission for opening accounts, so little intentions to make goal.
Pros
The down time, not too pushy on sales
Cons
short breaks, no commission
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  Espanola, NMJuly 16, 2015
Valley National Bank was a very pleasant place to work. It had been in business for 50 years and was a highly respected financial institution in its market area which was Espanola, New Mexico. Unfortunately prior management had made loans which put the institution in a precarious financial position and it was ultimately acquired by another bank. The management team was almost all new (within the last 2 years) and was quite competent. Most enjoyable aspect of the job was the positive atmosphere with co-workers in spite of the general knowledge that the institution was not in a position to survive. The hardest part was watching the ongoing deterioration with no prospect of a turnaround.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
Financial difficulties
good company, stable environment
Representative (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 14, 2015
I really enjoyed working here, the only bad part was when the economy was going down in the dumps, it got a little depressing calling some of the clients for money. Reason being, we were starting to call a lot of good people who were going through hard times. It wasn't like that before. Management was pretty cool, as long as you kept yourself busy, they didn't bother you and your day would go by fast

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley National Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Valley National Bank Reviews by Location