Valley National Bank

Valley National Bank Employer Reviews

relaxing environment with close ties to our customers, and support
Supervisor and Head Teller (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 20, 2014
Pros: laid back environment, approachable tellers/coworkers
Cons: misleading information about advancement within company
On any day clients would come in to make deposit/withdrawls or with questions about his/her account. Always take the lead and learn or you get stuck in the same position. Assisted my coworkers/tellers with difficult transactions or unruly customers.The hardest part is staying engaged because at times throughout the day it can be quiet and very little interaction or customer turnaround. Most enjoyable is assisting our clients with difficult transactions.
Great place to be working at.
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Upper Montclair, NJAugust 13, 2014
The environment is great and the people that come to the bank are usually nice.
Doesn't value employees
Teller (Former Employee), Livingston, NJAugust 1, 2014
Pros: family atmosphere, vacation days
Cons: no career advancement, horrble healthcare benefits
I worked for Valley National Bank for 4 years. I started off as a part time teller and then my last year I worked full time. Overall I guess I could say that this was an okay job, at best. Typical day would include opening the branch, running the morning reports, and taking a few customers. Throughout the day, I would handle transactions such as, cashing checks, deposits, selling cashier checks, etc. Because Valley is a community bank, they really didn't push sales, like other big banks do.

Also, there was a really high turn over rate. Honestly, I think It was because management does not value employees. They figure, they can just replace anyone. They basically pushed people out the door with their ridiculous expectations. They never recognized their good employees. After four years, I decided it was time to think about growing with the company and they totally denied me. Despite the fact that I was a hard worker and was loyal with a college degree. I guess they expected me to be a teller forever. I left soon after that. Later on, I heard that my old manager had mentioned me in one of the regional meetings they had, stating that " she lost one of her best employees". Too bad I had to leave for her to notice.

Overall, I would recommend Valley if you need a place to get experience. After a year, I would suggest moving on to something better.
Very detrimental- incompetent toxic employer
Full time employee (Former Employee), Wayne njJuly 30, 2014
Pros: ok schedule
Cons: workplace bullying, discrimination, very low pay, manual systems, incompetent management
Beware of customer service! Vbank works ! Ez deposit! Vnb connect the supervisor of this dept alison forbes is the nastiest women you've ever met! Everyone quits because of her and then you have to do extra work! Manual systems very low pay! Little advancement equals a terrible work environmemt. Most of the other departments are incompetent including branch managers! Also management looks down on minorities ! That is the culture of the bank! Management will let supervisors harrass you and HR does absolutely nothing but look for ways to lower your pay and force more work on you. Please do not go the valley route!! Stay away
Productive and challenging workplace with opportunity to grow
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Brooklyn NYJuly 23, 2014
Pros: reasonable and fare supervisor.
Cons: being compensated for meeting my monthly goal
A typical day at work was a bit slow because the location the company was situated in, but it was fun working with the staff there. I learned how to be polite and perform my duties at a timely manner to deal with clients got upset at times with our services and treatment given. Management was very important because without them there wouldn't be any structure in the workplace. Co-workers were great and working together we all meet our deadline and satisfy our clients. The hardest part of my job was to make phone calls on a daily basis to clients homes and prospective clients offering bank products that we think they might need and get yelled at hung upon. The most enjoyable part of the job when was able to meet the clients needs and they leave my desk feeling very thankful and with a smile.
Pleasant place to work
Mortgage Loan Officer/Customer Service Rep. (Current Employee), Springfield, NJJuly 18, 2014
A typical day of work consist of making sure the office is open on time for customers everyday banking transactions and problems or questions they might have. I've learned a lot about banking and federal regulations and how to handle situations were customers are angry and upset. Work together wit management to assist in everyday operations of the office such and be able to operate the office when management is not present.
Good Place to work
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn NYJuly 15, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment
Cons: short staff low pay
Good Place to work but the pay is low. Branches are short staff and there is no support from upper management on hiring. However, the focus is on providing great customer service.
productive
Teller (Current Employee), Little Falls, NJJuly 6, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short lunch breaks
process many transactions constant face to face interaction with customer.
Great for college students
Nutley - Bank Teller (Former Employee), Nutley, NJJune 30, 2014
I worked here while attending college and they were very flexible with me. There were many new things I learned while I was here & I enjoyed working in this fast paced environment.
Horrible
Teller (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJJune 18, 2014
Valley National Bank is not like any other bank. It consists of unprofessional management and unfair practices, such as stealing time from the company.
Company is out of business
Sales Associate / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Clifton, NJJune 8, 2014
Not a very good company to work for. Very low pay and management was not very good.
Great work environment
Bookkeeping Bulk filing Clerk (Former Employee), Wayne, NJMay 31, 2014
Management makes it very pleasant to work with. Environment is very comfortable and makes you glad to do the work.
Great work place
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee), Wayne, NJMay 15, 2014
Pros: worked with great people
Cons: no overtime
Management was great

Learned alot about mortgage and accounting work
Job secuirty little advancement
Service manager (Current Employee), Ho-Ho-Kus, NJMay 1, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: staffing issues
I learned to deal with customers and employees in an efficient manner. I compile reports for the district in which I help other managers fill out the reports.
I check the balances on General Ledger accounts to make sure they are accurate.
Small Bank with little advancement opportunities
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Oakland, NJApril 28, 2014
-Short hours.
-Small Teams.
-Little advancement opportunities.
Productive and fun place working
(Accounting Clerk) - Teller (Former Employee), Moonachie, New JerseyApril 25, 2014
Meeting with different customers and helping them in their day to day activities.

Friendly environment
Fun place and had great managers.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Parsippany, NJApril 22, 2014
My hard work was recognized and I was able to get promotions.
Great work experience
Bankcard Rep / Inbound Supervisor (Former Employee), Wayne, NJApril 22, 2014
Learned how to dispute credit card charges
Management was great
General
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Wayne, NJApril 18, 2014
* Provided outstanding customer service to each customer with inquiries and all bank personnel.
* Aided customer’s inquiries via the telephone and emails.
* Promoted and cross-sold other products and services by the bank.
* Achieved sales goals within the bank.
* Developed referrals from caller’s inquiry on banks products and services.
* Followed up on all commitments to contribute to department service level standards.
• Encoding 1200 checks per hour
Proofreader / Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Wayne, NJApril 16, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: no health benefits
• Encoding 1200 checks per hour
• Balance checks processed against the teller report to ensure accuracy
• Submitted account numbers to verify owner of account