Valley Presbyterian Employee Reviews in United States

Salad Days
Cardiology Technician (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 6, 2015
This was my 1st Cardiology position. It was such a fun time, learned so much from so many. Great place to work back in the day. Made some lifelong friends.
Pros
Type of work
Cons
See above
Directed pathology and clinical laboratories with 750,000 tests per year and blood donor services with 1,200 drawn annually for a 380 bed acute-care m
Director of Lab & Pathology Services (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 1, 2013
Received documented accolades from The Joint Commission survey team in 2005 as oneof the finest f the 250 laboratories that they had audited.
Improved the turnaround time by 20 minutes on Emergency Department lab results. Established multi-disciplinary approach that streamlined internal systems without adding additional costs.
Decreased single blood culture orders from 6.4% to 1.6% through clinical staff and physician education.
Cut urine contamination rates for obstetrical patients by 50% through standardizing collection containers, increasing the frequency of specimen pick-up, simplifying and adding bilingual instructions, and educating staff.
Played a key role in the implementation of new policies and procedures that insured all patients had proper identification armbands, improving compliance from 13% to 1% error. Changed organizational culture through physician and nursing staff education.
Pros
excellent "not for profit " community hospital
Very fun volunteering experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 28, 2012
Working at Valley Presbyterian Hospital was a great experience when I was in high school because it showed me how responsible I will have to be when I work in a hospital. Working at Valley was also great because I was able to meet people there who are looking to pursue dreams just like me. I also loved to help the people in the hospital because doing good deeds like helping the elderly and sick can do nothing but put a smile on your face. I enjoyed volunteering at Valley Presbyterian Hospital and I hope the best fort them.
Pros
free lunches, meet new people, helping the ill
Cons
nothing that i did not like
Great working environment
Acute Care Services Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 29, 2014
I have been working at Valley Presbyterian Hospital for almost 8 years now. I love working there. Everyone is friendly. Acute Care Services Management team is the best team ever. They really care for you and support all of us in growing professionally.
Nice place to work at
Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys,CAMarch 9, 2015
Check in. make sure rooms look clean and ready for patient examinations. Do portable runs during the morning shift and special pocedures during afternoon
Pros
free lunch
Cons
difficult patient care
Very friendly staff, but if you are going to school management would not try to work with your school schedule.
Orderly/ tech II (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys CaliforniaMarch 5, 2012
management did not want to work with my school schedule so it cause me to miss work sadly i had to choose between work or school, I chose school. However i do wish i could have stayed.
Cons
very short breaks, sometime you wouldnt get your 15 min break.
Close to home, small community hospital
Registered nurse in the operating room (Former Employee) –  Van nuys CaliforniaMarch 2, 2012
I gave 5 years to this company, the coworker are very nice and many of them are team players. it's a community hospital with not much room for advancement
Pros
close to home
Cons
hard to get days off, a lot of over time
VPH is a good hospital, Just don't get involved with the politics
Non Nursing Unit- Business (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJune 11, 2013
VPH is a hospital with a lot of great potential. They are in the heart of the community. As a non-profit hospital, all decisions are made at the executive level. This is great, because you don't have to go through legal to start new projects/ endeavors.

The company has started to look at enhancing the company culture. They have a blog that the CEO puts out and give you room to share your views.

The negative is that the company has a very divided executive staff. They don't work very well together. That division causes that many work on their egos instead of mission. Some opportunities for collaboration and enhancement are often passed up. The politics has really kept the company from reaching their full potential.

Sometimes working on a larger unit can be better, you have a manager, director and a VP. Working on smaller units, can be a plus or negative. If your VP really likes you, you can get their support and grow. But if they have a biased opinion, there is no room for growth and you can easily be dismissed regardless of your talents. My suggestion, avoid the politics. Getting to close to the top gives you a close up look at the internal politics, that can be very disheartening.

Your co-workers are awesome! They will be your rocks. They have some of the most amazing people that work there.

Work life balance is, so so so. It is easy to get sucked in to working overtime and taking work home. My best advice, set clear boundaries from the start. If you don't you will always be taking work home, and the more you give the more they will take.

The hospital does a lot for their
  more... employees, they have hospital picnics, employee recognition, and Christmas parties. They are also starting a leadership training. This is a plus.

The negative, is the hospital lacks resources. Reporting can be a challenge, marketing and educational materials are a challenge to get. Obtaining vital resources or having to go through multiple channels to get your resources can make your job twice as difficult.

This is a sink or swim job. So you have to be ready to figure out your resources fast. You also have to figure out how to get resources from people that are doing the very minimum at their jobs.

My suggestion, VPH is a good place to start, unfortunately you have to keep one foot in and one foot out. Over the last several years the company has experienced a high turn over. Both with executive staff, leadership and employees. This has been a trend for the last 6 years. Unfortunately, you wont find many tenured people. That's says a lot about the organizations commitment to employees.
Pros
lots of employee recognition programs
Cons
politics with executive staff
excellent volunteer opportunities
Operating Room & SPD volunteer (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAFebruary 27, 2013
I learned that regardless of your employment experience and education you're likely to get hired if you know someone who works in the field you're trying to enter. Other than that, it's an awesome opportunity to gain healthcare experience on your resume.
Pros
lunch is free
Cons
your social worth is determined by your badge. if you're not a doctor you're nobody; very immature
great place to learn
Medical Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 8, 2013
learned so much everyday seeing and being in many different situations with various types of patients who really appreciate a volunteers help i got to see many different situations around the hospital dilivering specimens and working with patients translating for spanish speakers, overall a great expirience.
Pros
great learning expirience.
Cons
only a temporary position
Good hospital
PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CANovember 29, 2014
A good place to work for. However it does not pay well for the work one invests.
Pros
bonuses are good
Cons
no comments
Very outgoing co workers
student of surgical technology volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles CaDecember 19, 2011
Great nursing staff, I noticed they realy cared for their patients with a gentle touch and smile. I worked in patient transporting and learned a great deal of patient care along with school. I also worked in central steril processing and learned how to assembled instrument trays and decontamination.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
cant complain
Great Learning Experience
Cath Lab Nurse (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 23, 2014
Went from ICU to this Cath Lab job and they offered to help train me! Great experience! Still learning every day. I love the Cath lab and truly enjoy the rewarding experience of taking care of this patient population. Team work is very important to me and I enjoy working with people for a common goal, which is patient satisfaction.
Nice work place with friendly staff
REGISTERED NURSE IN OPERATING ROOM (Current Employee) –  VAN NUYS,CALIFORNIANovember 27, 2011
Good working place cause of friendly staff, just so disorganized when it comes to supplies and equipment needed for surgery.
Pros
good staff to work with
Cons
working on weekend with regular pay, no breaks for 8 hours straight work
Lead Ultrasound Tech
Lead Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 11, 2014
It was a joy to go to work every morning , and being comfortable knowing what I do best
Pros
i had a purpose to make patients well being a little better
Cons
new imaging director with poor people skills
Opportunity to practice the skills
Clinical Care Extender, (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 26, 2012
This volunteering program gave me the opportunity for the extra clinical practice and experience. I have become familiar with the hospital environment.
Pros
everybody gets chance to practice
Cons
a lot of restricitions for the volunteers
Overall experience was great! I was able to advance in various departments working for this Company.
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 22, 2012
Working at Valley Presbyterian Hospital was a job that I enjoyed very much. I first started working in Data Processing in July of 1985. Management and staff made a great team. My first experience was working with HoneyWell reel to tape machinery. I learned how to balance census summaries and process department charges in the system for various departments. I gained great confidence and satisfaction in my work performance.

I moved to admitting departing after a year or so and my Supervisor at the time taught me everything I needed to know about Pre-billing. It was so much fun learning how to do various things as that job encompassed so much especially when it came to paying attention to details was a must.

From there I moved on to Insurance verification and that job was by far one of the best jobs I've experienced in my career at VPH. I worked in admitting to help out whenever there was a need to register patients, which I enjoyed very much mainly because I enjoyed talking to patients as they needed someone to let them know that things will be alright eventually.

My last months at VPH were spent in Contractual Adjustments, which was the hardest job I encountered. Mainly because I didn't want to be responsible for such large sums of money and if my calculations were incorrect I would feel horrible to make any costly mistakes. To my surprise after about 30 days I caught on and did so well that I actually started to like it.

My regret was leaving so soon thereafter. I probably would still be working there if I had weathered the hard times the company faced back then. Big adjustments
  more... were made that were very positive and it's too bad that I missed out on that.

Never-the-less I am proud to say I worked at Valley Presbyterian Hospital for eight years. I got my start in learning so much about healthcare at this facility and management was ideal at the time. My co-workers, some who are still working there today were kind loving people and I will never forget them. Every now and then I drop by to say "hello".

One more note to add, I wrote a poem about a patients experience at VPH and received an award for it from Managament. I still have it in my possession today. I do have a few treasures I've kept along the way, thanks to my experience with Valley Presbyterian Hospital.

Sincerely,
GG
Pros
bonus, rewards, fun activites, room for growth
Cons
lay off notice 1day warning
Administrative Secretary
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 9, 2012
I work in a very busy pace department. I assist the Director of Education in scheduling her meetings, assisting her in meetings, copies, filing, answering a heavy volume of in coming phone calls.
Pros
i get to meet a lot of people from nurses, to students
Cons
health care
Productive and nice community
CPOE Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 14, 2014
This is a good place to work. There are nice dedicated people committed to giving the best service to their customers.
An excellent learning facility with various specialties.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 30, 2014
Non profit organization with a family-based working environment (est.1999). Great physicians and excellent Ortho group (SCOI)
Pros
variety of specialties avail to the working ethusiast
Cons
pay (est.1999)

Valley Presbyterian Reviews by Location