Valley Presbyterian

Valley Presbyterian Employer Reviews

Assist Director of Women Service (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CASeptember 8, 2013
Great place to work the employees are the best part of the hospital
Directed pathology and clinical laboratories with 750,000 tests per year and blood donor services with 1,200 drawn annually for a 380 bed acute-care m
Director of Lab & Pathology Services (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: excellent "not for profit " community hospital
Received documented accolades from The Joint Commission survey team in 2005 as oneof the finest f the 250 laboratories that they had audited.
Improved the turnaround time by 20 minutes on Emergency Department lab results. Established multi-disciplinary approach that streamlined internal systems without adding additional costs.
Decreased single blood – more... culture orders from 6.4% to 1.6% through clinical staff and physician education.
Cut urine contamination rates for obstetrical patients by 50% through standardizing collection containers, increasing the frequency of specimen pick-up, simplifying and adding bilingual instructions, and educating staff.
Played a key role in the implementation of new policies and procedures that insured all patients had proper identification armbands, improving compliance from 13% to 1% error. Changed organizational culture through physician and nursing staff education. – less
The employees at Valley Presbyterian care about their patients.
RN II (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAJuly 21, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: none that i witnessed.
I would rather not write a full review because I was not present with the company long enough to comment.
VPH is a good hospital, Just don't get involved with the politics
Non Nursing Unit- Business (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAJune 11, 2013
Pros: lots of employee recognition programs
Cons: politics with executive staff
VPH is a hospital with a lot of great potential. They are in the heart of the community. As a non-profit hospital, all decisions are made at the executive level. This is great, because you don't have to go through legal to start new projects/ endeavors.

The company has started to look at enhancing the company culture. They have a blog that the CEO – more... puts out and give you room to share your views.

The negative is that the company has a very divided executive staff. They don't work very well together. That division causes that many work on their egos instead of mission. Some opportunities for collaboration and enhancement are often passed up. The politics has really kept the company from reaching their full potential.

Sometimes working on a larger unit can be better, you have a manager, director and a VP. Working on smaller units, can be a plus or negative. If your VP really likes you, you can get their support and grow. But if they have a biased opinion, there is no room for growth and you can easily be dismissed regardless of your talents. My suggestion, avoid the politics. Getting to close to the top gives you a close up look at the internal politics, that can be very disheartening.

Your co-workers are awesome! They will be your rocks. They have some of the most amazing people that work there.

Work life balance is, so so so. It is easy to get sucked in to working overtime and taking work home. My best advice, set clear boundaries from the start. If you don't you will always be taking work home, and the more you give the more they will take.

The hospital does a lot for their employees, they have hospital picnics, employee recognition, and Christmas parties. They are also starting a leadership training. This is a plus.

The negative, is the hospital lacks resources. Reporting can be a challenge, marketing and educational materials are a challenge to get. Obtaining vital resources or having to go through multiple channels to get your resources can make your job twice as difficult.

This is a sink or swim job. So you have to be ready to figure out your resources fast. You also have to figure out how to get resources from people that are doing the very minimum at their jobs.

My suggestion, VPH is a good place to start, unfortunately you have to keep one foot in and one foot out. Over the last several years the company has experienced a high turn over. Both with executive staff, leadership and employees. This has been a trend for the last 6 years. Unfortunately, you wont find many tenured people. That's says a lot about the organizations commitment to employees. – less
Very busy ER
Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAJune 6, 2013
Very busy ER and there are good people who are working there. There is a couple bad apples but the team work is very good.
antepartum department is very friendly and teamplayers
Nurse Assistant/Unit Secretary (Current Employee), Van Nuys, CAApril 30, 2013
Pros: nothing really
Cons: most of the time we dont get a full lunch break and hardly get our 15min breaks
overall is a good place to work and make new family friends. Management is not all organized yet, but trying. But i have learned a lot in that department and to other departments i have worked. Its taken me to think of doing more maybe like becoming a register nurse.
great place to learn
Medical Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAApril 8, 2013
Pros: great learning expirience.
Cons: only a temporary position
learned so much everyday seeing and being in many different situations with various types of patients who really appreciate a volunteers help i got to see many different situations around the hospital dilivering specimens and working with patients translating for spanish speakers, overall a great expirience.
LVN Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAApril 2, 2013
Pros: close to home, 12 hour shifts 3 days a week
Cons: staffing issues, over worked and responsibility was too high.
Worked in ER and Urgent Care. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers and I certainly learned alot over the years. The management was fairly balanced, there was a big turn over of ER managers.The hardest part of my job was the unpredictability, some days could be good and other days you felt like, I've had enough of this place.
The most enjoyable part – more... of my job was taking care of my patients and knowing I did the best job possible. – less
Excellent benefits and opportunity
Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Van Nuys, CAMarch 21, 2013
Pros: benefits, job security, opportunity, large facility with multi-specialty units
Cons: short breaks, difficulty taking lunch, personality/staff/management conflicts-as with most hospitals
A public hospital that is striving to move forward, increasing the "likeability" and medical expertise in a fast-changing world. Improving and updating to the latest technology and medical practices in stroke, cardiac, and neonatal care. The old part of the hospital is in the process of renovation. The new building is very nice and the OB/Maternity – more... area has just been completely remodeled and updated.

Most units are very busy, especially the telemetry unit as there is no DOU.

Hardest part: The new building is very large, thus the units are big. As much as an attempt to assign rooms near each other is made, typically it does not work. This makes it challenging to accomplish tasks efficiently and timely. Language and cultural barriers can be a challenge in both patient care and staff interaction.

Most enjoyable: Opportunity to advance and learn new areas of focus. Having an excellent charge nurse and director. Patient interaction and making a difference, besides the drive home. – less
excellent volunteer opportunities
Operating Room & SPD volunteer (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: lunch is free
Cons: your social worth is determined by your badge. if you're not a doctor you're nobody; very immature
I learned that regardless of your employment experience and education you're likely to get hired if you know someone who works in the field you're trying to enter. Other than that, it's an awesome opportunity to gain healthcare experience on your resume.
Great co-workers, real team players and caring
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAFebruary 21, 2013
A typical day was busy and filled with new problems to solve and new information to learn. I enjoyed working with all departments throughout the hospital and learned from all of them.
Great co-workers, real team players and caring
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAFebruary 21, 2013
Great place for advancement
Records Technician (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAOctober 21, 2012
I really enjoyed working there. the staff are great and you can really tell they are really passionate for thier patients!
Opportunity to practice the skills
Clinical Care Extender, (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 26, 2012
Pros: everybody gets chance to practice
Cons: a lot of restricitions for the volunteers
This volunteering program gave me the opportunity for the extra clinical practice and experience. I have become familiar with the hospital environment.
Productive and fast paced facility
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CASeptember 18, 2012
Enjoyable learning environment, very productive for the community and enjoyed giving to my community as well
Amazing learning opportunity and experience!
Volunteer (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAAugust 28, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Every day I would help out the Nurses on duty, or physicians, assist in the patients needs, lab runs, discharging patients, etc. I learned how to manage working in a fast pace environment, while being under pressure at times. The people I worked with were always helpful and explained the procedures that I was Unfamiliar with. The hardest part of the – more... job at times was leaving the patients that you bond with knowing that you most likely wont see them again. Forming trust with the patients feels so good because they depend on you and making them feel better gives me happiness. That is also the most enjoyable part of being in the medical field. Knowing that you have helped someone with life threatening situations keeps me motivated. – less
Some of the greatest people I've ever met reside here.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAAugust 15, 2012
In the eight months I was at this hospital I met many great people, my co-workers were the best I've ever had.
Wonderful Management
Health Education Internship (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAAugust 12, 2012
I love the environment, always friendly knowledgeable staff
I like people
Maintenance (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAJuly 31, 2012
Pros: i like people
Most people like it and they care for patients. Now buildings getting fixed up better. Manager changes make it hard than to just work.
Best!
Assisting the Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAJuly 24, 2012
It was my summer job at the hospital, I loved working at the hospital it was really fun and i loved helping alot of people at different departments.