Valley Proteins Employee Reviews in United States

Its a job
Employee (Former Employee) –  Linville, VAJune 8, 2016
Company doesn't really care about employees. Definitely favoritism by supervisors . Disney world probably has better supervisors. Trucks are piece of junk and always breaking down . Daylight mechanics need to go back to mechanic school.
Benefits
Cons
Lied to all the time
Horrible
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Linkwood, MDJune 2, 2016
Alot of the employees are really great especially the drivers. However I was hired as a supervisor and was supposed to be trained. It never happened the way it should have. Worst working environment and surely some people in management do not know how to treat employees nor do they care about their attitudes. This is part of the bigger picture that makes VP look bad as an employer. Your top people suck!! Micro managing is running your company and allowing dumb stuff to happen behind corporates back is ridiculous! I'm not upset that I don't work there anymore it's a blessing!!!
Pros
Great drivers who do their jobs
Cons
Upper management needs a overhaul
A lot of sneakiness
All (Former Employee) –  Linkwood, MDMay 4, 2016
Over all not to bad. There are SEVERAL negatives!
Main office does not understand that in this job experience counts more than degees ever will. There are a few management that fly by with being lazy and passing job off to other employees. They do say you can advance however it seems that the hardest working are always over looked while the lazy ones are praised. Seems that lazier you are the more company likes you. Job is stressful and at times very unfair in treatment. The pay could be a lot better! People that been with company make less than new ones. The owners are complete opposites. The one is very rude, valger, unappreciative of everything and has a major ego problem. Money has gone to this man's head and does not understand that it's the employees that have got him where he is.
Management and equipment needs attention
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ward, SCApril 7, 2016
Management and equipment needs attention. You will work long hours here. and sometimes have no idea what time you will be getting off.
Pros
home daily, great pay, and uniforms provided
Cons
smelly unpleasant work place, poor equipment
They know how to make money, but only for themselves
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  VaMarch 14, 2016
I've been with VP for almost 6 years and the working conditions have gone down hill from day one. They lie about how often you work weekends, they cut your break time, "compensation" is ok and the performance bonus system is a sham to be held over your head. Management plays major favoritism and micromanage every aspect of the plant(even when they really have no idea what they're talking about). I worked with some of the most talented, hardest working, and really just best all-around people I've ever met. It's really a shame to see them held back by inferior management. I was one of the favorites until I started trying to find a better job and I quickly saw the favoritism that I had been apart of. The insurance is absolutely awful but that's because of the way VP is handling the plan.... all around bad place to be
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Healthcare, working conditions, ethics (or lack thereof), and honesty(which is nonexistent)
Unsafe place to work there's no lights in parking area & its a swamp when it rains your vehicle just gets destroy from the mud.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAMarch 3, 2016
Be prepared for a adventure its never a dull moment in Ashland, Va wait to you meet the supervisor they are not college graduates....
Pros
Health care is available
Cons
Retirement is impossible because you will be fired before that day comes
na
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 16, 2016
I will not say anything good or bad about the company. Different people have different experiences. Do not want to influence others decision.
Able to work with little supervision
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 31, 2016
Arrive at plant and pretrip the truck before starting truck. Look over and plan route for the day, drive to each destination and empty out grease pits and oil containers
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
Very Productive
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Wadesboro, NCJanuary 7, 2016
Each day starts out busy and ends busy. We stay on point no time for games. Co workers a friendly but everyone has stressful days.
good place to work
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, NCDecember 13, 2015
Writing purchase orders and getting pricing from vendors.
Project Management writing and timeline for capital projects.
Setting up inventory minimum and maximum reorder points
Look over machine drawings to order parts needed.
Managing people’s hours and overtime.
Preventative Maintenance scheduling and completing work orders.
Continuous help in maintenance and electrical on major breakdowns.
Shipping critical parts to vendors for repair and moving critical parts between plants
Stinky Job
Sewage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 11, 2015
this job involves you to deal with rotten meat. Every week I had a different infection from rotten meat. if you like stinky, you will like this job.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
dirty job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Linkwood, MDOctober 9, 2015
Two different type of driving jobs, raw products and finished products.

-Raw products, you can get 4 loads a day, pay is based on load,

-Finished products, usually 1 load a day, but pay is around the same as the Raw products, could be called in for a raw run.

be prepared to work 12-14 hours a day. Mon-Fri, with Sat on occasion.
Pros
Electronic logs, easy to work with management, easy drives
Cons
a few faulty equipment, dirty bathroom.
Nasty
former employee (Former Employee) –  strawberry plains tnJuly 12, 2015
VERY self centererd management they dont have maintenance to cover all shifts so production is just down on third shift until someone can get called in to fix it.it is a disgusting place to work. You stay closed up in a hot building with all the stinch of blood and guts for what little money that is paid.
Pros
Cons
terrible insurance bad management and rats running everywhere
Don't waste your time its a very poor place to work.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mifflintown, PAJune 3, 2015
Typical day means you could start from 3am to 12noon because they constantly are changing the schedule from hour to hour. But you will get your destination for the day driver there loaded and deliver or drive there empty and get loaded and bring product back to the plant. And usually days run from 12 to 14 hours. The management is a joke they don't listen to the feed back from the drivers and if they do try to help the driver out the upper management will not do anything about the issues. There is great drivers there just ignorant management. You cant schedule anything in your personal life during the week because your schedule constantly changes from the morning thru out the day. You might be scheduled for one load but then they will call you and tell you now you have another load. So you went from a 8 to 10 day to a 14 to 16 hour day. The only positive and is your paid hourly. But the wages are below standard and raises are poor. And there is no room for advancement unless your related to the two families who run Mifflintown. So bottom line is stay away from the Mifflintown plant because the pay is low and management is ignorant and worthless and wont listen to any safety issues you have.
Pros
There is none.
Cons
Poor pay, poor raises, no room for advancement, lots of favortism. Unsafe environment.
great learning experice
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 3, 2015
it could of been a better working environment
needs better management
but was a great learning experience over all
very friendly employees
learned from the machinery
complicated but manageable
Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Linkwood, MDMay 26, 2015
Never have I hooked up a trailer and pulled it all over the yard to include 3 u turns and 5 stop and starts including going over the railroad tracks up onto the road ( a loaded tanker ) and have the trailer pull away from the king pin and some how it was my fault ? That's after passing 2 managers that were standing there watching my hook up and get out to check to make sure it was locked in and waved to me as I drove passed them !!! But I'm the one that gets into trouble because it was something I did.. Shady company and that's all about the bottom dollar and your nothing but a number to them !!!
Pros
Home Everyday
Cons
Bad Equipment and Product
Very Good Driving Job
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Terre Hill, PAMay 25, 2015
VP has some great things going for it up here in the northeast. Pay is by the hour up here, some drivers have 4 day work schedules, and we are home daily for the most part. Mechanics are in shop to make repairs when needed. Uniforms are provided to all drivers. Some positions are tarp and hook trailer work, some are tanker transport. Other drivers do the work of dropping hoses in restaurant tanks to suck out grease. Still others are also in the grease trap trucks which include sucking out the grease and jetting clean the grease lines. Some positions have you dealing with animal rendering so keep that in mind that there can be lifting and smells in that area of work. Workers in the plant dump the trailers or empty/load the tankers which is a plus if you are a driver.
Pros
Good pay, many long time employees, good supervisors
Cons
Slow to replace older equipment
Working for Valley Proteins has been an absolute pleasure.
Major Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 10, 2015
Working for Valley Proteins has been an absolute pleasure over the past couple of years. The management here is great and have taken notice of my desire for more responsibility and advancement within the company. I have been promoted multiple times in just the 2 years I have been with the company.
Good Compensation
Purchasing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 7, 2015
This company offers good pay and benefits and will practically let you work all the hours you care to work. They also give a weekly bonus for basically just showing up on time and doing your job.
Pros
Pay, Bonus, Hours
Cons
Hours, Enviroment
Terrible equipment and supervision
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Ward, SCMarch 21, 2015
The trucks and trailers are ALWAYS broken down. It adds hours to your shift waiting for wreckers and worse equipment to arrive. Some employees don't do their jobs and management does nothing about it. I wouldn't even care except if they don't do their job, I can't do mine. Which means 12 hour shifts become 16 hour shifts and I don't get enough time to sleep well.
Pros
pay isn't bad and you earn weekly bonuses.
Cons
the health insurance is almost worthless and you have to pay for that too

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley Proteins. Our community is ready to answer.