Valley Proteins

Valley Proteins Employee Reviews

Very Good Driving Job
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Terre Hill, PAMay 25, 2015
Pros: Good pay, many long time employees, good supervisors
Cons: Slow to replace older equipment
VP has some great things going for it up here in the northeast. Pay is by the hour up here, some drivers have 4 day work schedules, and we are home daily for the most part. Mechanics are in shop to make repairs when needed. Uniforms are provided to all drivers. Some positions are tarp and hook trailer work, some are tanker transport. Other drivers do the work of dropping hoses in restaurant tanks to suck out grease. Still others are also in the grease trap trucks which include sucking out the grease and jetting clean the grease lines. Some positions have you dealing with animal rendering so keep that in mind that there can be lifting and smells in that area of work. Workers in the plant dump the trailers or empty/load the tankers which is a plus if you are a driver.
Working for Valley Proteins has been an absolute pleasure.
Major Account Representative (Current Employee), Winchester, VAMay 10, 2015
Working for Valley Proteins has been an absolute pleasure over the past couple of years. The management here is great and have taken notice of my desire for more responsibility and advancement within the company. I have been promoted multiple times in just the 2 years I have been with the company.
Good Compensation
Purchasing Clerk (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCMay 7, 2015
Pros: Pay, Bonus, Hours
Cons: Hours, Enviroment
This company offers good pay and benefits and will practically let you work all the hours you care to work. They also give a weekly bonus for basically just showing up on time and doing your job.
Terrible equipment and supervision
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Ward, SCMarch 21, 2015
Pros: pay isn't bad and you earn weekly bonuses.
Cons: the health insurance is almost worthless and you have to pay for that too
The trucks and trailers are ALWAYS broken down. It adds hours to your shift waiting for wreckers and worse equipment to arrive. Some employees don't do their jobs and management does nothing about it. I wouldn't even care except if they don't do their job, I can't do mine. Which means 12 hour shifts become 16 hour shifts and I don't get enough time to sleep well.
Not bad ifyou don;t mind getting dirty,and underpaid
Industrial maintenance mechanic (Former Employee), fayetteville,ncMarch 10, 2015
12 to 14 hour shifts, extreme temps, a lot of technical and expensive work to be paid so little from a multi million dollar company. most people were nice and many deserved higher positions than they had
Great work atmosphere
System Administrator (Former Employee), Winchester, VAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: travel, several interesting people.
Cons: when outside or near the rendering building it smelled a bit.
Get past the smell and the job was great. The smell is because it is an animal rendering company and, well, it isn't always pleasant. My job was IT, Infrastructure and help desk support. With, at that time, 14 remote locations across the US, work was interesting and somewhat diverse.
A Unique Experience
GREASE LOADER (Current Employee), Gastonia, NCJanuary 22, 2015
I load tankers with animal fat, and also load animal meal on trailers. I have learned the process of a rendering facility, it is amazing how nothing goes to waste, and every process can be profitable. Management is really trying hard to upgrade the plant, and make changes for a better future. The jobs are not hard at all, just terribly messy. At the end of the day, we are able to take showers before going home. The best part of the job is the teamwork, everybody is willing to pitch in and help get the job complete.
What can I say...
Anonymous (Former Employee), North CarolinaJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: ability to literally start your own company during "down time", creation of a training program for drivers
Cons: insurance costs, local level managers with no authority, constant change in management at local level
This is a privately-held company and it is operated as such. The company wants to move towards a more corporate structure. However, the top leadership would need to be ousted first before any of their plans will work successfully. One of the owners rule with an iron fist and it is driven purely by ego and other psychological issues with this particular individual. Needless to say, this has been going on for decades. I would say the culture is changing but it won't change until the owners are not focused on mundane day-to-day operations. The entire company is micromanaged and so is every management role and many of the employees don't see or understand that which creates other organizational issues and snowballs the issues out of control.
a pretty good job,its an old school company that takes care of its employees
Route Driver (Former Employee), Emporia, VADecember 15, 2014
Pros: overtime pay, 4 day work week
Cons: 16 hour work days
I worked there about a year and a half and I can say they are a pretty good company to drive for, there 4 day work week is awesome.
just very unsafe and poorly managed
driver (Former Employee), Linville vaNovember 25, 2014
Pros: job
Cons: management all around
Never know when you have to work. Management is never around never listen to you. A very unsafe place to work. Trust me nobody cares about you
Terrible Management
Anonomous (Former Employee), Strawberry Plains, TNNovember 12, 2014
Pros: great employees
Cons: short lunch breaks, the gm, old equipment.
Short lunch breaks. Pay is low for what your asked to do. Most managers are good however the GM is a major micro manager who shows favoritism to certain employees and is out to get others. Safety is important to the employees. PAB is held above your head by management to keep you in line. Employees are great there with the exception of the GM and a his cronies in the new office.
great co-workers MANAGEMENT IS NO GOOD, IS VERY DISLOYAL TO WORKERS
route driver (Former Employee), Gastonia, ncNovember 12, 2014
Pros: every week pay
Cons: management don't care about you
Great place to meet new people but to build a carrier (NO) there is no open door policy which they try stressing, work you like a dog while treating you like one at the same time. Job is steady but their is no room for mistakes, YOU WILL HAVE TO BE A PERFECT PERSON, but honestly I was here for 5yrs & I loved my job I mastered it, but I was Making the company money for the entire period I was there illegally & it wasn't a problem as long as I didn't get caught (& I didn't) but they got a lil scare & I was fired behind my 5yr wrong doing, which was okay as long as you was making the SMITH BROTHERS(owners) MONEY. If you wnt to wk 5 - 6 days & home daily (10hrs hometime) & get some experience GREAT PLAY TO START BUT ASK THE GUYS ABOUT THE TURN OVER RATE. Dnt plan to retire. . Start pay is great
Great Place to work.
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Amarillo TexasOctober 29, 2014
Pros: kept the trucks and equipment up.
Cons: healthcare not so good.
Great place to work.
You have to put up with some gross stuff but the work is easy, and the pay is "okay". You won't get rich here but it will pay the bills if you live modestly. Co-workers and Management were great.
If Valley Proteins had a jingle, I'd hum it!
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee), Terre Hill, PAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: wealth of information always available, good pay scale
Good Company, no issues. Co-workers were fun be with while establishing a great re-pore.
if you like guts join the team
Driver (Former Employee), ward,scJuly 29, 2014
Pros: you make good money
Cons: you have an accident find a new job
A typical day consist of 12-14 hours you can never make plans because you are always working management takes up for management and you constantly have to fight for your fairness
Good work environment with a good core management group. Excellent benefits w/ competetve pay.
Environmental Supervisor (Current Employee), Ward,SCJune 13, 2014
Pros: advancement opportunities, competetive pay w/ excelent benefits. non-hostile work enviroment.
Cons: small break areas. limited number of showers. under sized lockers and locker room.
Enjoy working with this company. I feel that advancement opportunities are afforded to every individual that will persue them.
A great place to grow
Manager (Current Employee), NCMay 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, a company that cares, growth and promotional opportunities
Cons: long hours
VP is a great place to work if you don't mind working. Many of the posts I've read are most likely by people who do not enjoy putting a hard days work. Yes sometimes the hours are long, but the rewards are worth it. VP often promotes from within, so it pays to stand out and do your job to the best of your ability. The products we deal with are not for everyone, but if you can build up a tolerance and look past that, you're in for a rewarding career!
Work is easy management is sub par
cleaning (Current Employee), NCMay 3, 2014
Pros: easy work
Cons: uneducated management
Okay. The job and work is super easy. The big problem is the management is uneducated. They think book smarts runs a plant that is experienced based. They fire all the people that have been through the tough times for people that have no idea what they are doing. Plant managers don't last any longer than a year at brst. Promises of money but you never see any of it. The first sign of something going wrong they panic. That does not sound like someone that is I charge and know what they are doing. Believe me when I say it. They repeatedly and mercilessly fire employees. They do not care about the regular working man. And they are the back bone of the company. Osha violations to the roof. Have had workers hurt constantly. But yet they somehow cover it up. If you apply for this job plan on not staying there long. 100 percent truth that I'm telling you avoid this job if you can. I don't know about other plants but I do k ow for sure Valley Proteins of Rosehill NC is not the place to be. Do yourself a favor and move on if you want to keep a good relationship with your wife and family
Hard workers only
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Beaver, WVNovember 20, 2013
Management sucks, very long days, product stinks, unorganized shipping, not very safety oriented
Nice company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMarch 11, 2013
Typical day was always steady. Some busier than others. Learned a lot of job experience with using different computer programs. Management wasn't the best to work with. Co-workers are 99% men. I mostly worked independently. Hardest part was deciding certain things about sending grease loads. Most enjoyable was the pay being that this was my first job.

About Valley Proteins

Recover, Recycle, Replenish, Renew At Valley Proteins, our business recovers valuable fat and protein resources, recycles them – Read more

Valley Proteins Salaries