Valley Yellow Pages Employee Reviews

Extremely stressful environment with poor management leadership
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAAugust 5, 2013
I knew going into this field that it would be difficult, since it was cold calling and I had never done that before. A typical day would be head to the office for a meeting, spend a good hour just trying to get organized for the day and the upcoming week, come up with a plan, make cold calls and several appointments. At first I liked the challenge, but as soon as I hit the wall or had trouble, my manager was quick to condescend me and continue to hassle me about my performance. I would ask for help and maybe 50% of the time she would assist me promptly. I made friends with our secretary who had been with the company for years and she helped me more than my manager did on several things. The co-workers, who were much older than me, were more obsessed with the drama of the office and how to one-up one another than actual performance. The hardest part of the job was selling the product since not very many customers were interested and having to deal with my pushy manager. I was also pregnant during this time and received even more stress while working. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and helping those that I could.
Want to be pressured and micro-managed this will be a good place to start.
Media Advertising Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 9, 2013
BEWARE! This company has a revolving door and has a product and rates that's not competitive with their competition . It just unreality! They also want the customers to have customer loyalty to them but, they have none for the customer...it's only about their (company) ROI. Also, if you are looking to make money with this company its not going to happen because they are taking away the base salary to 100% commission at low commission rate and they are losing a lot of their advertisers. THIS COMPANY IS LOSNG GROUNDS FAST in the industry and will use you until you are no longer useful to them.
Now, the management needs improving because their approach in is out dated and their online yellow pages is joke. There is also a big problem of favoritism only the selected few are hand fed by managers. If you are a professional and don't like being pressured and micro managed then don't apply.
Pros
their are some nice people who are working there.
Cons
if you are looking for a career in a fun work enviornment...this is not the place.
Productive and fun place to work
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 2, 2014
A typical work day at Valley Yellow Pages was challenging due to the fact that you always wanted to be the best in the office and you were competing with 40 other reps. to be the best! I learned how to be the best by working hard and diligently everyday to provide the customer service my clients expected and sell the best value added packages available. There were good managers and not so good managers. I was lucky to have a good one. I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers and got along with everybody. The hardest part of the joy was when we changed markets and some of our accounts overlapped with the other market and we had to figure out whose account it was. The mot enjoyable part of the account was the ability to make the most money I desired based on how hard I worked and I worked hard!
Pros
unlimited income and bonuses
Cons
a little too much micro managing and lowering the commissions every year
Great opportunity to be accountable on a daily basis and at the end of the day positive results would motivate and excite me to start the next day.
Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 24, 2013
If you utilize the training and tools offered at Valley Yellow Pages you will have nothing less but success. I loved the fact that I played a big role in building businesses with advertising programs and nothing but straight honesty, not over selling or guiding business owners in the wrong direction. My Regional Sales Manager was great and I could not ask for a better team leader. I need to be challenged at seemed to always deliver and answer above and beyond expectations. Taking ownership of my job and responsibilities played a big role in my success and respect of my peers.
Pros
very professional organiization that allowed you to reach above your potential
Cons
dress code could be addressed
Management needs improvement from local to corporate
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAOctober 22, 2012
Management is not good. Here is example. Top Senior management visits local office (good) to discuss internal investigation. States clearly about what the company should be about and digresses to various issues. Explicitly states that a new Account Executive needs two campaigns to see what that person is "made of" and will the Account Executive succeed. My friend and I are given notice if we don't make a certain amount of sales in two weeks that will be terminated. We were both on first campaign.
Had 4 managers during my time there in 6 months and management would always used the term "It's all about the numbers". At times I felt that I was in "Glengary Ross"
Pros
flexibility, majority of people were good to work with.
Cons
horrible management except last one.
High Paced and a lot of foot canvassing/cold calling, very demanding, challenging, best storeies ever from customers!
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 22, 2013
60-80 cold calling on phones non-lead potential clients, 2-5 Appointments per day, I learned very quickly that the hopper must be full at all times to generate new sales in order to maintain and manage co objectievs. Co-workers are very helpful in learning different sale tecniques and strategies. Hardest part of the job is managing your time, and most fulling part of this job is helping small businesses grow.
Pros
untapped earning potential
Cons
a lot of driving, wear and tear on vechicles.
Fast paced highly competative sales environment.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CAApril 22, 2014
Wonderful training program before you start. High Commissions and bonuses. Lots of preparation for sales calls. Followup is critical. Making weekly sales goals was both an incentive and additional pressure. I enjoyed the employees and customers. I liked freedom to set up my work day. Job security was based on your weekly sales. Many people don't make it past the first month. I won numerous sales awards.
Pros
high commissions
Cons
churn of sales people.
Increasing the amount of revenue a business brings in.
Account executive (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 18, 2014
I learned how to help my customers retain their current customers and how to increase business. My typical day started early and would end late depending on the amount of accounts i had to handle. I enjoyed working with the different companies i had the opportunity to work with. I learned how to better myself and how to help them better their business in a variety of aspects. But the number one aspect was great customer service.
productive workplace
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CADecember 4, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of cold calling, premising, prepping client accounts, meeting with clients and various business owners to discuss their business goals, and daily office meetings. I gained thick skin while working here, also how to stay organized. The hardest part of the job was premising. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and building relationships with various business owners.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
unlimited outcome, sense of ownership
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAApril 24, 2013
Telemarkeitng for clients,learened how to be patient and listen to the needs of your clients. Management is a postion I would like to be in.
co-workers were so friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job
was serching for new clients. Most enjoyable was landing a large account after all your hard work.
Pros
feeling of ownership.
Cons
receiving a large number of delinquent accts.
It was a motivating place with great benefits
Account Executive ( Outside Sales Representative) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 11, 2015
I really enjoyed being a part of a large team environment.
The time during a day was spent driving to and from clients.
Learning about there business and planning a marketing strategy that works to benefit there advertising needs.
Pros
People skills, learning about a new business
Cons
not being in the same city every campaign
Terrible Management
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 11, 2015
This company is not a good company to work for. The management was not professional in any way. While I was there as a Manager of a sales team of 10-15 employees.
Even though the company as a whole had difficulties my team was the top producing team in the whole region and we still kept ourselves to a much higher standard than other teams in the office. I comend my team.
Excellent Place to Work and Grow
Manager/Coporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAOctober 21, 2015
Up until recent years, this place was an excellent place to work and grow and evolve as a leader in business.

Recent times and technology has made this industry near impossible to continue forward and attain greater levels of success, promotion, and learning.
Pros
Excellent people and benefits
Cons
Has become an outdated, underused industry
Good company to work for if you have the right supervisor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 29, 2011
Working for Valley Yellow Pages was, over all, fun. I was able to use my skills but was not given much room for advancement. I enjoyed most of the people I worked with, however, found it difficult to work with those who were not competent in their positions.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad judgement in choosing supervisors
dying business
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  sacramento, caDecember 30, 2014
This company was a great company when the yellow pages was booming. Now that the internet is this biggest thing to locate business, then this is slowing dying. At this time I would not recommend anyone to work here. There are other companies that are growing with the times and this is not one of those companies.
Pros
commission only position
Cons
a dying breed.
Great company with flexible management
Telecom & Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 3, 2015
I worked here for just over 10 years and loved it. I would still be there if I hadn't moved out of the state. The people at all levels were extremely pleasant to work with and forgiving if things didn't quite go as planned, which tends to happen in the IT world.
Wonderful and exciting field of advertising!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 31, 2015
The big negative is the younger business owners perception that print yellow page advertising isn't effective.It can be very much that if the company's market is the older clientel who use the phone book rather then just Google as most of us do today!
Productive and a fun workplace
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 15, 2012
Fast paced environment and great staff to work with. Learning and growing with the company in an family environment atmosphere. Office parties lets you mingle with other departments and co-workers.
Pros
breaks, health care
Cons
example: short breaks, health care, etc.
a company that has a lot of turn around
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 15, 2013
the company is always hiring and firing, and the emploies do not feel sucure which puts a negitiave attude and this is not good for a sales office.
Pros
is a strong presence in the fresno area
Cons
will to termanate anyone at any time, emploies do not feel sucure
In the past Valley Yellow Pages has been an excellent place to work, but with recent economic downturn, not so much.
Production Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 11, 2014
Most days in the production department can become repetitive with the same work flow.
Pros
health insurance, retirement, & paid vacations
Cons
increase in health insurance cost