Valley Youth House Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Childcare Worker - Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Warminster, PANovember 14, 2017
Spending each day counseling and empowering troubled teens who comes from broken homes and has an issue with life. I learn how to listen to the heart of our youths who think there's no hope. Management was very helpful with information to make your job less stressful. The work culture was great and fun at times.

The hardest part of my job was being abused verbally and the most enjoyable part of my job was changing the lives of those who believed there's no hope in life..
Pros
Short lunches
Cons
No breaks
Horrible place horrible nanagement
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 10, 2017
This job is not about the best interest of the children but making sure beds were filled so that funding continued . The children in this program need to feel supported and love which often lacked because of their backgrounds and life experiences. The staff here preach about empathy and compassion but show none. The management is horrible. No communication and poor attitudes. Make sure you document everything when you work here. Management will lie if you're not in their clique.
Pros
Great kids, horrible management
Not for everyone
Family Functional Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PANovember 2, 2017
This position and agency is not for everyone. If you are willing to work for pennies and are ok to never advance in your position then this the place for you.
Pros
Great Families to provide therapy for
Cons
Pay and lack of support for employees
It can be as productive as one chooses to make it.
Behavior Specialist Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAOctober 18, 2017
Great job for those seeking only part time hours. Supervisor ALWAYS supportive and available. Lots of support and training opportunities. They are great at accommodating an individual's available hours.
Pros
You make your own schedule, supervisor is very understanding, helpful and always available.
Cons
Inconsistent caseload. No Full time. No benefits.
Poor Hours
Mobile Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAOctober 11, 2017
I was told during the interview that this would be a full-time position as a mobile therapist. Instead, I was lucky to have two to three clients a week. I gave it time to see if the numbers would increase, but unfortunately they did not. Then when I took a job elsewhere, the supervisor was rude to me and acted like she gave me a lot of work.
Pros
Fair pay, not too much paperwork
Cons
not enough hours, okay for someone who already has a full-time job
Providing respite care to families with children who had ASD
MENTOR/ RESPITE PROVIDER (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 30, 2017
This was one of the most challenging jobs I have had. I provided respite care to families with children who had autism spectrum disorders. Examples include taking clients into the community, working on goals, practicing socializing. I was able to learn a great deal about the population in general, and grew to love working with my clients. While stressful, it did teach me a lot about patience and empathy.
very diverse
Life Skills Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAAugust 28, 2017
Love my supervisor, director. Love the culture and acceptance of all. The pay is not the best but, the experience and life skills are indispensable.
Up until a major management change about two years ago this was an excellent company to work for, but that has all changed unfortunately.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 8, 2017
Once upon a time this used to be, by far, the best child advocate organization in this area, and possibly all of PA to work with. You would never hear any bad word on the street in the mental health field about anything they were involved in. Then the founding CEO retired, and his vision and heart for children was carried on by many who had also been with the organization for many years. Unfortunately some poor choices were made in locating his replacement and then the vice president also retired. Now the organization is a shell of what it once was, and they are no longer client focused, but very focused on expanding and maintaining their bottom line.It is sad to see what has happened.The turnover rate is now pushing 65-70%.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lack of client focused vision, poor leadership, lack of supervision and training for specific positions.
Poor values on where the money should go
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAAugust 8, 2017
Worked there for 2 years and the facility was more concerned with filling beds and making money for the organization then what was best for the children that were living at the shelter. Children were put in unsafe and dangerous situations that were hidden by executives in charge to save their licensing.
Pros
food available, outings with kids
Cons
No security, no safety net for employees, no backup when needed
Rewarding
Life Skills Counselor (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMay 8, 2017
Great Company with Great Values- Make a difference in so many young lives. Great opportunities all around the area. Was sad I had to relocate out of state due to family illness.
Fun
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMarch 13, 2017
Fun place to work, and gain experience. Was able to attend undergraduate classes during the day, and work in the evening. This place also presented opportunities in the evenings to get school work done, after kids have gone to bed.
Excellent supervision and supportive,working environment
SAP Mental Health Counseor (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMarch 11, 2017
Workplace culture is highly positive. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping children and families. The hardest part of the job is the amount of paperwork,but that is a part of many jobs in teaching or counseling.
Exceptional Staff and Work
Clinical Therapist Intern (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 24, 2017
Working with the clients at Valley Youth House is incredibly fulfilling. The staff is well educated and truly have the client's best interest in mind.
Pros
Incredible clients to work with
Cons
Pay rate is quite low due to the fact it is a non-profit organization.
nice place to work if you enjoy working with youth
counselor/Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 23, 2017
good people to work with you meet lots of kids which you can learn from frustrating trying to maintain the level of the mission due to not having enough staff to work with
Pros
family type enviroment
Cons
supervision diversity
Great Organization but....
VYH Employee (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 2, 2016
Very overwhelming caseload, not enough support by supervisors, no appreciation shown, not given opportunities to grow as an employee..... I was left as the only staff in our program twice: once for a week, and again for almost a month. I was not given any form of support by supervisors. I started off as a youth in their programs and worked hard to gain employment here, but once I started working for them my entire outlook of the organization has changed. I was eventually let down. They are a wonderful organization, but.......
Rewarding place to work
Therapeutic Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 30, 2016
Valley Youth House is a wonderful company to work for with a positive attitude on all levels of employment. It is difficult to get more than 20 hours a week and you work without coworkers a majority of the time.
Pros
great management, good pay
Cons
not enough hours
Great work Environment
Case Manager, Co-therapist (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJuly 30, 2016
Family Based Mental Health is a great program that benefits the community. Co-workers are helpful and pleasant. Great job for individuals graduating from college with no experience. You work in a team consisting of a case manager and therapist. Expectations are reasonable and very doable. I prefer to work alone, it is a challenge to coordinate schedules with another individual if they have restrictions. High turn-over rate for minority, bilingual staff unfortunately. Ideally you need to adapt to changes quickly and be disciplined with paperwork being on time. There is a lot of paperwork required besides the session notes such as intake packets, referrals, updating treatment plans monthly with each family. Downside to the job is having to work in the clients homes, regardless of their living conditions, cleanliness and possible lack of heat/AC or bug infestations. A lot of travel involved between clients, will vary with client load and county. You will be required to work evening hours when school starts, it is not a 9-5 job. You make your own schedule but it depends on when parents and children are available.
Pros
Pleasant work environement, professional growth, cultural awareness and acceptancce, benefits
Cons
Low salary, evening hours, working in client's homes regarless of condition
Supportive Work Envnironment
MFT Intern, Family Intervention Program (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 3, 2016
I had the opportunity to complete my MFT internship with Valley Youth House. I found the experience to be extremely beneficial, allowing me to develop and enhance my counseling skills.
Horrible Place to Work
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 5, 2016
As an RA, I was never able to have any personal time. I had a supervisor who was never around. She constantly took time off and still said that she had vacation time and comp time. In February of one year she worked 8 days.
Additionally, the organization allowed staff to be on their personal phones talking to potential boyfriends about "size" in front of clients who were minors. Then promoted these people.
As an outlying program, if you had to go to any training you spent 2-3 hours each way in the car to travel for a three-hour training.
I'd caution against working here. Worst choice I ever made.
Pros
Food stipend, housing
Cons
no free time, poor management
Fun and productive place to work with the youth.
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 20, 2015
I serve the homeless youth, youth in foster care and DHS children, everyday and they are the highlight of my day when I am able to serve them. They learn from our workshops and become productive young adults. It is a privilege to serve them daily. I really enjoy my job on a daily basis.
Pros
Life skills workshops.
Cons
short breaks