Valley Youth House Employee Reviews

Horrible Place to Work
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 5, 2016
As an RA, I was never able to have any personal time. I had a supervisor who was never around. She constantly took time off and still said that she had vacation time and comp time. In February of one year she worked 8 days.
Additionally, the organization allowed staff to be on their personal phones talking to potential boyfriends about "size" in front of clients who were minors. Then promoted these people.
As an outlying program, if you had to go to any training you spent 2-3 hours each way in the car to travel for a three-hour training.
I'd caution against working here. Worst choice I ever made.
Pros
Food stipend, housing
Cons
no free time, poor management
Fun and productive place to work with the youth.
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 20, 2015
I serve the homeless youth, youth in foster care and DHS children, everyday and they are the highlight of my day when I am able to serve them. They learn from our workshops and become productive young adults. It is a privilege to serve them daily. I really enjoy my job on a daily basis.
Pros
Life skills workshops.
Cons
short breaks
Learning experience
TSS (Former Employee) –  Northampton, PaAugust 10, 2015
This was a good place to work with good communication with management. Client hours are inconsistent, and pay is low. Very independent work, but clients are overall great to work with.
Pros
One on one interaction with clients
Cons
Cancelled appointments, low pay.
Small Shelter
Internship (Former Employee) –  Warminster, PAJune 30, 2015
Valley Youth House ideologies and great and there execution is great, however, there is limited growth opportunities and the therapist normally are unavailable. Its a small shelter so therapist ahve alot of responsibilties
Great Opportunity
Residential Adviser (Current Employee) –  Wilkes Barre, PennsylvaniaMarch 16, 2015
I enjoyed working with this company. It was my dream job and I was saddened to be laid off. The clients that I worked with were very interesting and I was glad to be working for this company.
Interesting Day
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PADecember 1, 2014
A day at work, may be calm or it can be very busy. Most of the day is spent out in the community with the families. As a case manager my job is to link them to services such as DPW, rental assistance, assistance with utilities, educating the family on the child's diagnosis and behavior. Assist families who are almost homeless. Providing positive advice and guiding the family. Teaching parenting skills, at times the family just needs someone to listen. the best part about working at Valley Youth hose is the satisfaction of helping someone with out expecting anything in return.
Every family is different, all needs are different, but all with one purpose which is to be able to understand their child and find new ways to cope with the behaviors that are displayed due to their diagnosis.
LOVED IT
INTERN (Former Employee) –  POTTSTOWN PAOctober 5, 2014
I LOVE THIS INTERNSHIP VERY INTERSTESTING.LOVE THE ATOMOSPHERE AND I LEARNED ALOT OF VALUABLE INFORMATION
Fun, fulfilling, and rewarding
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Warminster, PAJuly 7, 2014
Great work culture. The environment is supportive and interactive. Each day is different and challenging and you will love the people you work with. The pay is not great and benefits are non existent for part timers, but it will make you happy.
Peer Mentor. Great Experience
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAFebruary 1, 2014
A typical work day, would include planning work shops, ice breakers and general life skills information for young adults. Having one on one sessions with the foster care youth, to help them with goals they wanted to accomplish. My co-workers were great, If I needed any help with anything they were there to assist me. The hardest part of my job was leaving. I loved everyone that worked there. The most enjoyable part of my job was being there for the young adults who were in the foster care system. For them to have someone to communicate with them and for them to see that someone was there to help them.
Pros
working with young adults
Cons
having to leave my job
I worked with supervised Neglected, Abandoned and Abused children
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Warminster, PAJanuary 12, 2014
I worked and supervised Neglected, Abandoned and Abused Children, with Drug and Alcohol and Behavioral problems in a Group Home and Shelter setting, and I also worked at Community Service Foundation, and the office location at that time was Pipersville, Pa, and altogether I worked with children for twelve years, as a Residential Counselor. I worked varied shifts, and I was certified to give the clients their medications at their "prescribed time", to make sure that the children attended school, in emergency situations, I was responsible to take the clients to the hospital, and to notify their parents, and to write incident reports, and to document progress notes, etc.
Pros
i gained invaluable knowledge in this field.
Cons
the childrens problems are indescribable.
Valley Youth House
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAOctober 12, 2013
It was a nice a experience. Learned alot about special needs
Caring
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Allentown,paJuly 20, 2013
The main focus is on helping youth and they do a great job. Must love children.
A leader in its field
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 9, 2012
Valley Youth House is the leading youth services agency in eastern Pennsylvania. A great culture, fantastic management and support for personal growth.
Very Good work place
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PASeptember 1, 2012
Lots of room for advancement, and lots of career opportunities
Appreciate the mission and values but can be stressful
Life Skills Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJuly 2, 2012
Being a case manager at VYH has taught me many useful skills such as multi-tasking, problem solving etc. However, the job does require you to drive a lot.
Pros
the vacation/sick time is very generous
Cons
stressful and a lot of driving