Valmont Industries Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Sr. International Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Valley, NEMarch 23, 2017
Valmont is a great place to work. I have been here 9 years and in the same department. I love working in International Logistics. It is challenging, but well worth it. The hardest part of my positions is the language barriers and understanding what they mean compared to how i understand it. I have met some wonderful people working here.
Pros
The training and opportunities i have been given
Production was a Roller Coaster. Unstable workforce/Management
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Valley, NEMarch 22, 2017
Management was always changing. Good safety practices. Good money, but it can be up to 12 hours and almost never having a weekend off. Workplace Culture is Very Bad. Training is less than desired, good luck and keep to yourself. Revolving door for employees, but you get to meet new people that way. Strict attendance policy. Layoffs and, or you can get fired if you aren't a good ole boy. You are just a number that is used up and replaced by another number. Around Valmont is a chain link fence with barb wire.....To keep people in? or people out?
Pros
Money. Benefits. Clocking out, driving home.
Cons
Culture, Management, Layoffs. Divorce Rate
Poor Training Procedures and Unrealistic Expectations.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEMarch 3, 2017
Having had several years of regular painting and sign painting experience I did not have a clue as to how difficult factory / industrial (assembly line) painting would be. In the hiring process no one seemed to understand how to communicate the difference between regular ( residential - commercial) and (interior - exterior) painting. They simply wanted to hire people to fill a position without regard to the person's experience. The pay was lower than what was offered by equivalent manufacturing businesses. Once hired, the foreman who was in charge over me did a poor job of explaining how to carry out key tasks that would determine a successful outcome of the job and ultimately me as a painter and employee.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Inexperienced Foreman with unrealistic expectations.
Great place to work in the modern world
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Real opportunities for a career in the anodizing field. A typical day at work starts with a safety meeting to ensure all employees work in a safe environment. Friendly and caring employees are always willing to help.
Awesome Work Ethic
Fabrication Tech (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEJanuary 8, 2017
Arrive 20 minutes early everyday, hear and apply the best customer service at all and every point in my employment, able to get along with all co-workers. The hardest part of the last position was working in the 100 plus degree heat, best part was the communication between the co-workers and company appreachation
Pros
Christmas party, and summer picnic
Cons
heat exhaustion
Friendly working environment
Former member (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJanuary 5, 2017
Good interpersonal skills learned
Friendly co-workers
Good management team
Learn good computer skills
Fun environment
Learn aspects of production line
It is a productive work place. I not only loved the job but I also loved the people that surrounded me I got a long great with everyone.It is a great
Level 3 Inspector (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 26, 2016
I would refer any one to go there.I really loved it. There's only a couple of jobs that I loved in my working years ,and Vomela is one of them.
Pros
Alot of times we did get free pizza for lunch for doing a good job, and getting the work out on time
Cons
I had no health care because I was not a full time employee but it was still great
great coworkers,
Polisher (Current Employee) –  Farmington, MNDecember 11, 2016
get poles from straighteners, put poles on machine, run machine, make sure poles are high in quality, put poles on a finished cart, the co-workers make it fun to work there
Cons
short breaks
Great crew on weekday nights
Welder (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 30, 2016
They best part of the job was the crew and lead man and Forman. The Hr department is a joke tho. The production raises need some tuning. I know of a couple guys that had there numbers way higher then the level to be a Welder 1 but there excuse for not giving them welder1 pay was they hadn't been with the company long enough so moral and production drops until they qualify under hr's standards not production standards. Anyways a great crew but hr and couple other issues in the offices need to be addressed
Pros
The crew
Cons
Hr
Other employess are cool but management is horrible and no work life balance
Shipper (Current Employee) –  Farmington, MNNovember 20, 2016
The worst work home life balance I have ever encountered at a job they expect people to live here and do not care about there employees your just anumber to them
Pros
Pay scale every 4 months a raise happens untill you hit max pay
Cons
Management, home work life balance gone, too much over time
safe envoriment and stable work
Saw Machine Operator/ shipping and recieving (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INOctober 11, 2016
I like working there best job I ever had. Everything at the company ran smooth matinance was always available and they care about every employee
Great place to work. Great wages
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Newberry, SCSeptember 26, 2016
Great place to work. Great wages. Great incentive plans and beautiful network of people. Easy work to handle and the teamwork makes things run smooth as possible
Great pay, horrible company to work for
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Valley, NESeptember 21, 2016
I worked there for nearly 3 years. In that time my name was on two separate training lists and never was i offered the classes while people hired before and after me were. Management plays favorites and will believe theyre buddy over a loyal and hard working employee when a false complaint is filed. Was made to operate equipment I never received training to properly operate and was written up when mistakes were made from a machine that was known to run poorly 98% of the time. Which is honestly sad when you goto the line and see some of the welds they let pass inspection by new hires and "experienced" welders. I weld better with my eyes closed then half these people do with a brand new hood.

Absolutely do not take on any additional responsibility without the proper training. If they are trying to get you "cross trained" and don't actually spend the time training you, they are setting you up for failure so they have a reason to fire you.

I loved my job and wanted to make a lifetime career there, but they would rather have subpar welders and people with anger issues who yell at management, get escorted off site by security, and somehow still have a job.
Pros
Pay, benefits, plenty of OT if you can handle it
Cons
Managment favoritisim, lack of structured training
Valmont
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Valley, NEAugust 28, 2016
ok place to work-people are not very friendly-working conditions are minimun. hours are great, benefits are good. work monday thru friday schedule, no weekends unless required OT.
A fast paced very demanding workplace
Welder/Custom Fitter/Assistant Leadman (Current Employee) –  Valley, NEJuly 27, 2016
7 days a week, sometimes 12hrs a day on an off shift, the pay is good, but for what the employees sacrifice for the company, the pay rate should be doubled.

Poor management, leadership and training.

Benefits are above average

Production is more important than safety and any sort of work life balance.
Pros
quarterly bonuses and higher pay rate
Cons
No life at home and a very strict attendance policy
Stable employment, but tend to hire from outside vs. promote
Customer Service Rep / Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 12, 2016
Fast paced work environment with many talented hard working people. Management tends to focus on numbers and is old-school in their approach (does not really seek out improvement ideas from employees, or try all that hard to make workers feel like part of a team). Issues typically handled re-actively instead of proactively. Focus at management level tends to bounce around from year to year (customer satisfaction, inventory control, new products, lean manufacturing principles, etc, etc). The most enjoyable part of the job would be the daily variety. Least enjoyable would be the feeling of always being behind and struggling to catch up.
Pros
good job security for the most part
Cons
poor communication from mgmt and between departments
it was hard work but fun
Laborer Worker (Former Employee) –  Bartow, FLJune 15, 2016
If I wouldn't have had so many bills and my kids I would still be there, it's hard hot work, but they pay you adequate for it.
Pros
pretty laid back
Cons
hot and demanding
Opportunity
HR (Current Employee) –  NebraskaJune 12, 2016
Many of the positions have upward vertical mobility. Many of the positions compensate within market range. Can be a fun working environment. Provides a wealth of experience.
Pros
If you relocate to corporate. Large organization
Cons
Sites are often left to their own devices and management can make or break it.
Work Work Work
NDT tech II (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEMay 27, 2016
7 days a week, Plant runs 24/7. Good company to work for if you are looking to work all the time. Management needs to look into balance of work/life balance.
Pros
Employee owned
Cons
Overworked
Mismanaged, no work to life balance
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 21, 2016
This company is one of the worst I have worked for, all they want is more more more and they don't care how they get it. You are told you have to work every weekend but they are trying to hire more people to help cut hours but when the hire more people they increase your hours forcing you to work the entire weekend. The management are never here on weekends while their out golfing and spending time with family you are here working making money for the company so they can get their dividends. No stock options available, management only hires people who they know personally. No opportunity to move up
Pros
Non
Cons
Managment, company overall needs to be overhauled and new managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valmont Industries. Our community is ready to answer.