Valparaiso University Employee Reviews

This is a good place to work.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INNovember 6, 2017
I have enjoyed working at Valparaiso University. I would like to work only days and no longer work days and nights. I am ready to go back to secretarial work and work only days.
Great Place to Work
Independent Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INNovember 2, 2017
I worked at Valparaiso University in several job positions while I was a student. Overall, I think it is a very good place to work. The people in charge are generally very good at working with your schedule so that you can have a good balance between the time you spend working and your school life. It's a great place to gain experience while you attend school.
Community Feel
Residential Life Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 10, 2017
Valparaiso University truly offers a community feel for all involved. There is truly a great chance to grow as a professional staff member and opportunities for you to leave your mark on the place.
Pros
Awesome people
Graduate Alumna
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 6, 2017
I only volunteered on a video production project with one of my professors and it was a great experience. Friendly staff and pleasant environment to work in for a career or internship.
Excellent Student Position
Academic Success Center office assistant (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 29, 2017
I worked as a part time student worker for less than 10 hours per week. My manager was great to work with and made me feel very valuable as an employee. The work could sometimes be monotonous and slow with more small daily tasks to accomplish and few large projects. I learned customer service, communication, and organization skills.
Comfortable workplace
Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 29, 2017
Everyone is energetic and gorgeous to work, they pay fairly to students. As an international student to work there, I learned a lot of new skills, such as making professional name tags, organizing events with a large audience, and tracking the expense, the most important is that I could practice a lot with my verbal English, which helps me with speaking English confidently.
Busy fast pace
Dining Services Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 22, 2017
Valparaiso is a fast pace work environment. You are in a constant Hustle. It contains 6 eateries with in one dining hall for the Students at VU. Management is in charge of entire dining hall as well as odering, scheduling, production/prep, sales, signage, coaching, working the food line, working the floor, maintaining food safety.
Pros
free food, breaks, Pto, Vacation, Benefits
Cons
short staffed, employee turnover
Fun place to work with.
NET Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 11, 2017
Learnt many things from this job opportunity. The workplace was very good and fun to work with. Had a very good supportive team which gave me intensive support to go along under pressure.
Great Place to Work
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 25, 2017
I worked quite a few jobs through the university while I attended, and I loved them all. I enjoyed going to work and working with my peers as well as working for them, such as at the campus dining locations. The job culture was very open and accepting, and for the most part it was very relaxed since I was serving my peers most of the time.
Pros
Some free perks, good about working with school concerns
Cons
Not great pay
Suggestion
Orientation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 17, 2017
There can be some changes but the student aids should make the suggestions to better benefit them as well as the office. Other than that there is no other problem.

Want to know more about Valparaiso University?

Ask a question
Life as a Student
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 9, 2017
As a nursing student I learned how to mask my fear of working with the public and forced myself to speak to patients and families about situations in which I was uncomfortable explaining. I learned to be curious and ask questions regarding understanding disease processes and medication management. I thoroughly enjoyed learning how to assess real people as well as gain a small idea as to what it is like to have to manage your time and work efficiently to keep patients safe and as comfortable as possible.
Pros
great experiences, good teachers, fun to learn
Cons
Each clinical experience was only about 6 hours long, not long enough to experience a full 12-hr shift.
Very Productive
Catering Manager/ Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 8, 2017
Recruited by Valparaiso University for the position of Catering Manager at the University. In charge of the complete and total operation of catering service, which involves managing the catering service during events and dealing with the necessary preparation before and after the event.
Pros
Cons
Staffing
One of the best places i have ever visited
Student (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 6, 2017
Studying at Valparaiso would be the best memory in my life as it has helped me to learn and explore so many new things. I was exposed to different cultures which made me a better person.
Would always refer anyone to study in Valpo
Pros
Fun activities
Cashier duties (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 26, 2017
It was a productive and fun working environment that allowed to learn and speak with people from various backgrounds. I enjoyed the experience greatly.
Productive learning enviornment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 22, 2017
It was a great place to work as it helped expand my horizons. The environment was welcoming, and I had fun being there and completing my tasks. I recommend it to others.
Fantastic Place to Work
RESIDENTIAL LEARNING COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMarch 23, 2017
Valpo is more than a workplace. It's a community, it's a family. People truly care about you, and where you want to go in life. It's all about what you put into your experience - that determines what you'll get out of it.
Productive and fun workshop
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMarch 4, 2017
Worked as teaching assistant for Electronics I, Electronics II, and Linear Algebra and Matrices. I graded over 40 homework assignments and entered the scores into blackboard while giving feedback on those assignments to help students know where they went wrong in solving problems.

The main thing I learned out of being a teaching assistant was that how to give a good feedback such that students know exactly what they have done wrong in solving problems and so they would be able to correct their mistakes based off the comment provided by me.

The hardest part was that how to give a feedback so students can directly know what they have done wrong and be able to correct their mistakes.

The most enjoyable part was that every time I would grade a homework assignment, I needed to refresh my information about how to solve those problems again which I felt it helped me have a better understanding on how to solve problems in Electronics and Mathematics.
Great Place to get introductory work Experience.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 19, 2017
Valparaiso University is focused on student learning. It is a great place to continue to learn while building up new skills.
Productive and fun place to work in.
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 4, 2017
The company had good management and very experienced employee. I learned a lot about how companies operates and about designing plumbing and HVAC systems.
A school dedicated to excellence
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INNovember 17, 2016
Valparaiso University is a college dedicated to excellence and desires to provide students a high quality education and help them succeed to find a career that they enjoy. The faculty and staff, overall, are very good and prioritize students in their schedules to ensure their success. As a student, I highly recommend the university.
Pros
Good education
Cons
Cost