Valparaiso University Employee Reviews

Welcoming Environment with motivated Faculty, Staff and Administration
Assistant Professor of Kinesiology (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 25, 2015
Valparaiso University is a warm, welcoming work environment that encourages all employees to reach their full potential. The experience at Valparaiso University has been great and I would encourage anyone seeking employment in higher education to consider VU.
Student Employment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 21, 2015
Cons: Not a long term Job
I spent a good deal of time editing professors manuscripts and helping with department events, such as Valparaiso Universities 7th annual High School Chinese Speech Competition. Working with my professors was rewarding and I learned a great deal from them in terms of understanding Chinese culture.
Fun community
Student research (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INFebruary 26, 2015
Very open with school scheduling and make it a school work comes first environment. I have learned many invaluable skills that I hope to take into my future.
Excellent employees
Temporary Office Assistant (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at work was very busy due to high volume of traffic in the HR Department. I learned from management that we can always strive to do better. My co-workers were the most capable and competent people that I have ever met. The hardest part of my job was not being able to do it all and not immediately knowing all the answers when first employed. I enjoyed working with students and staff members.
Fun Work Place
Director of Basketball Operations (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good location, near chicago, great family fun environment, good atmosphere for men's basketball games, good people and good higher administration
Cons: compensation and advancement
Fun work place for college athletics. Does not compensate as well, but good entry level position as a stepping stone for advancement. Great overall and all around experience with variety of responsibilities - basketball camp coordinator, budget analyst, team travel coordinator, liaison for academics, community service, and public media appearances.
A lot of opportunities and experience
Tutor (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INDecember 26, 2014
Great Great opportunity, including working with a team to brainstorm new ideas, developing market research, planning pre- and post-production work, dealing with travel issues and social engagements. As a result of this, I have gained a range of skills such as; creative thinking, problem solving, organizing and planning.
Changing the culture of alumni's views of giving to the University
Associate Director of Annual Giving (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INNovember 12, 2014
I would work with a portfolio of 150 perspective donors, plan trips to visit them and ask for a gift to the Valpo Fund. A minimum gift I would ask for is a gift of $1,000. I planned trips twice a month to visit alumni and friends of the university.

My co-workers were wonderful and all team players. I learned a lot from them and learned how other departments can benefit from my visits with alumni. Time management was key and had to plan trips a month in advance and had to stay organized to keep trips straight and details of my meetings.

As hard as it was to plan two trips a month, both of 9-15 visits each trip, it was very enjoyable to travel to different parts of the country and learn about the history of the university.
Fun workplace with a laid back atmosphere
Art Lab Monitor (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INSeptember 10, 2014
Valpo is a great place to work if you are a student looking for an on-campus job.
Great benefits.
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INAugust 27, 2014
Pros: 401 k
My job was to clean office buildings. I learned that managing your time was crucial. The management was pleasurable. I loved all of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job would have to be not stressing over the small things. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers.
A great place to work with lots of great people on staff
Residential Learning Coordinator (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 30, 2014
Valparaiso was a very supportive place environment in which to work. The people were great and the students were too.
@Valpoweather
@Valpoweather (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 23, 2014
Each day I would check SPC and models to see what the forecast was for Valparaiso. During severe weather, for example the tornado outbreak of November 17, 2013, I was constantly checking the #inwx and #ilwx hashtag for eyewitness tornado confirmation, use RadarScope to look at various radars like Storm Relative Velocity, Base Velocity and SuperRes Reflectivity, looked at SPC Meso analysis for mesoscale influences and I'd take screenshots and push to the 700+ followers.

On non-severe weather days, I'd tweet the expected high and weather conditions. I'd retweet or tweet climatological data or interesting weather information to inform the followers.
Teachers assistant
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 19, 2014
I helped out in the Fortran class. I was responsible for helping out the students taking the class and helping with homework and exams.
Excellent source of experience
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 17, 2014
Day to day tasks changed with the needs of university projects and needs. I learned to manufacture parts in a machine shop, manage large groups of non-engineer visitors. My co-workers were light hearted and friendly and management was always willing to work through problems to help find solutions.
good atmosphere
Assistant Director of Admission (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 25, 2014
Pros: great benefits and relaxed work place
Cons: salary slightly low and advancement
Great place to work.. tons of campus and office politics... behind the times in way off thinking
Productive and Clean job environment
Dining Services Staff (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 20, 2014
Pros: free meals, easy work
Cons: benefits, back-stabbing
As you approach to clock into the job, everybody is greeting you, saying hello and just makes you feel so joyful. All the different cultures are what make the job more interesting and enjoyable. The management does there part, but I wouldn't say that they are very organized. The co-workers are all great to get along with, but I ould say that there are negatives with favoritism and taking amongst each other about others.
Being a student is a full-time job.
Student (Current Employee), Valparaiso, IndianaMay 16, 2014
Amazing campus, fun people and challenging collegiate work.
Fun Job
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 29, 2014
The little time I worked there I had a lot of fun. It was hard work but hours were limited to just that summer.
n/a
Adjunct Professor Clinical (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 27, 2014
n/a...I decline to comment about this company. It was a blessing to work at this institution.
An innovative educational experience
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INMarch 19, 2014
Pros: student-athlete experience, above average education
Cons: expensive, campus officials aren't very student friendly
No different than the average student-athlete collegiate experience. Much of my time involved my studies or something related to my sport. Other than that, I just lived the typical college student lifestyle. As Special Events Coordinator, I helped the Special Events Supervisor with various events being held on campus. Various Events included WWE, sporting events, or community events, such as the annual Popcorn Festival.
Great people and choc milk on tap
PM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), valparaiso INMarch 11, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: high turnover
VU is where i've called home for the past 5 years. Great people, great food, and yes choc milk on tap!