Valparaiso University

Valparaiso University Employer Reviews

Fun workplace with a laid back atmosphere
Art Lab Monitor (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INSeptember 10, 2014
Valpo is a great place to work if you are a student looking for an on-campus job.
Great benefits.
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INAugust 27, 2014
Pros: 401 k
My job was to clean office buildings. I learned that managing your time was crucial. The management was pleasurable. I loved all of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job would have to be not stressing over the small things. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers.
A great place to work with lots of great people on staff
Residential Learning Coordinator (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 30, 2014
Valparaiso was a very supportive place environment in which to work. The people were great and the students were too.
@Valpoweather
@Valpoweather (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 23, 2014
Each day I would check SPC and models to see what the forecast was for Valparaiso. During severe weather, for example the tornado outbreak of November 17, 2013, I was constantly checking the #inwx and #ilwx hashtag for eyewitness tornado confirmation, use RadarScope to look at various radars like Storm Relative Velocity, Base Velocity and SuperRes Reflectivity, – more... looked at SPC Meso analysis for mesoscale influences and I'd take screenshots and push to the 700+ followers.

On non-severe weather days, I'd tweet the expected high and weather conditions. I'd retweet or tweet climatological data or interesting weather information to inform the followers. – less
Teachers assistant
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 19, 2014
I helped out in the Fortran class. I was responsible for helping out the students taking the class and helping with homework and exams.
Excellent source of experience
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 17, 2014
Day to day tasks changed with the needs of university projects and needs. I learned to manufacture parts in a machine shop, manage large groups of non-engineer visitors. My co-workers were light hearted and friendly and management was always willing to work through problems to help find solutions.
good atmosphere
Assistant Director of Admission (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 25, 2014
Pros: great benefits and relaxed work place
Cons: salary slightly low and advancement
Great place to work.. tons of campus and office politics... behind the times in way off thinking
Productive and Clean job environment
Dining Services Staff (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 20, 2014
Pros: free meals, easy work
Cons: benefits, back-stabbing
As you approach to clock into the job, everybody is greeting you, saying hello and just makes you feel so joyful. All the different cultures are what make the job more interesting and enjoyable. The management does there part, but I wouldn't say that they are very organized. The co-workers are all great to get along with, but I ould say that there are – more... negatives with favoritism and taking amongst each other about others. – less
Being a student is a full-time job.
Student (Current Employee), Valparaiso, IndianaMay 16, 2014
Amazing campus, fun people and challenging collegiate work.
Fun Job
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 29, 2014
The little time I worked there I had a lot of fun. It was hard work but hours were limited to just that summer.
n/a
Adjunct Professor Clinical (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 27, 2014
n/a...I decline to comment about this company. It was a blessing to work at this institution.
An innovative educational experience
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INMarch 19, 2014
Pros: student-athlete experience, above average education
Cons: expensive, campus officials aren't very student friendly
No different than the average student-athlete collegiate experience. Much of my time involved my studies or something related to my sport. Other than that, I just lived the typical college student lifestyle. As Special Events Coordinator, I helped the Special Events Supervisor with various events being held on campus. Various Events included WWE, sporting – more... events, or community events, such as the annual Popcorn Festival. – less
Great people and choc milk on tap
PM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), valparaiso INMarch 11, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: high turnover
VU is where i've called home for the past 5 years. Great people, great food, and yes choc milk on tap!
Library Assistant...
Library Assistant (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMarch 10, 2014
Helping students in search of books online.

Registering students identity card online.

Making sure that all books has security codes on it.

Creating daily data of borrowed books and returned books.

Updating search return data on the library database
Cooked/Served Food
Line server/ TV Studio Assistant (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 11, 2014
For the Line Server: Went into work, and would find out what side I was working on. After that it was just try to get the students through the cafeteria as quick as possible.
The most enjoyable part was my co-workers. We would talk as we would get things prepped, and joke around during the slow times.

For the Studio Assistant: I would punch in, and – more... see what equipment was checked out, make any phone calls if needed, and help students either with their projects or to get into the required rooms around the communication department so they could do their projects.
I liked working with fellow students and helping them as the needed it. – less
Typical rec sports program
Rec Sports employee (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INDecember 4, 2013
Recreational sports and intramurals provide great opportunities for on-campus employment, as well as a fun outlet outside of the classroom.
Great Place
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 23, 2013
Pros: good people, flexible hours, single room, room for creativity.
Cons: residents breaking rules, rudeness from residents, etc.
This had to be my favorite job. My coworkers were amazing. We all got along and were there for each other no matter what. We had regular meetings to discuss things and they were always fun times. I learned how being a Resident Assistant worked and got acquainted with the residents in the building. I learned how to check residents in and out of their – more... rooms, organize programs and bulletin boards, and genuinely enjoyed this job. The management was helpful and lots of fun. They were easy to talk to and all around great people. The hardest part was having to stay up late sometimes and having to deal with residents that were overbearing. The most enjoyable part was conversing with my coworkers and the fellow residents and just creating good memories together. – less
cleaning a respective college campus
Building Service Technician (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 18, 2013
Pros: perks of getting a degree
Cons: benefits
My typical day at work consist of making sure the campus looks good inside and out. I am very work oriented and get along with all of my co-workers. There is no hard part of my job but the most enjoyable part of my job is getting along with everyone.
I worked as a student aid
Student Aid Representative (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 1, 2013
Pros: i earned money and experience
Cons: co-workers and superiors were colorstruck
I worked for VU two hours a day, four days a week. There were a few things that I disliked about working as a student aid:

The other student aids I worked with were very passive aggressive towards me because I was the only African American working there at the time, the secretary that showed me how to enter data into Excel was belittling and condescending. – more... She would say things like, "good girl," suggesting that I needed affirmation to know that I completed a step correctly.

Other than that the people were friendly, the atmosphere was casual and I earned honest pay. – less
Busy
Chinese Contest Coordinator (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMarch 25, 2013
Coordinating with teachers from Illinois in registering for the Chinese Speech Contest.