Valspar

Valspar Employee Reviews

production tech
production tech (Former Employee), marengo illApril 7, 2015
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: no-breaks and bad supervision
don't work here don't let you take breaks in a 12 hr day .suppose
to get 30 min break and two 15 min breaks . the shift supervisor's are not experience enough with people skills stay away .other wise the people on shift are great this was the worse experience of my life.the night shift runs short handed and they don't care while your killing your self . I ran chemical reactor's for 32 years in one company and I never seen such bad leadership
Great place to work that provides incentives when working overtime
Chemical Mixer (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 31, 2015
Pros: good people to work around .
Cons: breathing in chemicals allday not that great
I like working there, just need more money and closer commute. Learned how to mix chemicals without proper protection management. Coworkers are very good people especially the veterans. Hardest part of the job is not being able to breathe fresh air. Meeting new people from all the turnover that happens on a daily basis.
Account Manger for Ace Hardware
Territory Manager Ace Hardware Account (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 9, 2015
I worked for Valspar and was in charged the Ace Hardware Account for East Texas, Houston, San Antonio, and South Texas. I provided training to store employees and attended to all customer needs.
worst company I worked for in 30 years.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, IlFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: very bad place. no respect for employees.
The worst company I have ever worked for from management to products. Valspar (Paintdrop) has no idea about the contractor paint business. Forced to see paint to professionals that know paint and never came back after they tried it. The people at Valspar know it and you were told to sell through it. Delivery trucks never available so you have to deliver everything youself. I cant believe a paint company this big would allow this to happen. No respect for the painters, employees and no pride in their products. What a misstake!!!!!!!
good place to work, good people
Picker/Loader (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: free donuts
Cons: mandatory overtime
drove around the warehouse and picked orders. had to start with bigger orders and work smaller. alot of planning
Great team environment within the Lowe's Sales group.
Lowe's Sales Team (Former Employee), Mooresville, NCJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: great people who work hard in a team environment.
Cons: progress toward targets not regularly communicated beyond upper management.
The Lowe's Sales office was filled with very talented people who truly wanted to be a team contributor. The hiring process 5 years ago required personality, intelligence, and cognitive testing which helped in selecting the right people to work in the group.

Was able to learn Lowe's operations inside and out.They provided access to their various cross-functional teams to execute projects and product launches.

Hard work and increasing sales provided new opportunities to learn and grow and was promoted throughout my time at Valspar.
Successful company
Valspar Territory Manager (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNDecember 8, 2014
Pros: company car, free lunch, full benefits
Cons: a lot of objections from our partner in lowe's
My responsibilities included working closely with Lowe's management and associates to help promote the Valspar Brand and drive business into Lowe's. I learned the a lot about the environment of putting together a sales portfolio and making cold calls. It was a very enjoyable experience and I am grateful for the experience gained.
The management could have been a lot better and the saftey managment could have been a lot better.
Production Technician (Former Employee), Covington, GADecember 3, 2014
Pros: good lunch break area, temperature controled environment
Cons: low cares as far as employees and saftey.
The management could have been a lot better, as well as safety in the work environment. They had little care for OSHA regulations in the warehouse and general safety. Very little care for their employees.
extremely busy, result oriented and fast paced
Batch Maker (Current Employee), Moline, ILDecember 2, 2014
A typical day at Valspar is extremely busy, result oriented and very fast paced environment. On a day to day basis I make and handle thousands of dollars worth of paint and paint materials. Starting the day we as employees come into what is known as a team huddle that nails down the objectives and goals for the shift and what needs to be done for the day. I would then go and find my batch cards which identify what I would be working on. Normally I would deal with 3-4 batch cards a day. I then have to plan out how I will approach each batch so I can get an idea of how long it will take me per batch. I then would order my raw materials which normally takes 30-45 minutes to receive. After order my materialsI would then go to our computer which has a PPS (Prospective Payment System) and would then start my batch in the system letting the company know what batch is being handled, when it was started, when its finished and its yield percentages per batch. As I continue after the PPS I then have to determine what size mixing tank I need for the batch and once this figured out I am able to start dumping my raw materials. Following directions is a must because one little mistake could throw off the batch and more work would have to be put into a batch resulting in lost time. After I am done with a batch I then have to take measurements to figure out the GPI (gallons per inch) which then goes into a calculation to determine the yield percentage of the batch that shows the accuracy of your measurements after you have added all of your materials. Then after this step is complete I would – more... allocate my materials which means adjusting the inventory and showed what was used and moved from certain locations.

I have learned a lot about multi tasking because I would normally be working on 1-2 batches at a time to speed along the process. I have also learned what quality means and what a true quality product is well. Management is there to help and speed along the process when there are problems. The coworkers make the weeks better because we come together as a team and get the things done there are put in front of us. Its a good friendly environment around the co workers and its easy to make friends with the people I work with.

The hardest part of the job is time orientation on your batches. A eight hour workday may seem long but as soon as you step on the floor the time goes by too quick. The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom that you get to move amongst the factory. – less
Great culture.
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee), Staunton, VANovember 22, 2014
The company was great to work for just got downsized. My manager was top notch and I never expected to be let go. I know that everyone I worked with became family even though I did not spend much time with others because of the area that I managed.
valspar
Production Line Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), charlotte ncNovember 11, 2014
i was working through a temp services wish they would of hired me on instead of just getting rid of the temp contract due to budget cuts
good work place
3rd shift coordinator (Current Employee), illinoisNovember 1, 2014
Pros: pay/benefits
Cons: company filed bankruptcy
salary benefits were great
easy work
not too much travel involved
Fast paced, high stress, but rewarding.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCOctober 24, 2014
Fast paced work days. Long hours (12+) for managers. I learned a lot about extrusion such as sheer, heat profiles, melt points. The managers were driven to meet goals. Very results oriented. My co-workers were for the most part very safety conscience, hard workers. Most days the goals were met or exceeded. The hardest part of the job, for me was juggling work and home time. The most enjoyable part for me was interaction with co-workers, and meeting the goals. Felt very rewarding at the end of the day.
Lots of Empty Promises
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Kansas City, MissouriSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches on occasion and flexible hours
Cons: corporate management
I was hired through a temp agency with the promise of a full time position in 6-12 months. After about 4 months it was announced that they would be moving the facility to Minneapolis and an immediate hold was put on promotions and advancement.

Overall it was a great work environment. Co-workers were very friends and always willing to help. High paced with many projects and deadlines at one time.
Furniture Protection Claims
Claims Adjustor (Former Employee), Grand Rapids MIAugust 3, 2014
Pros: decent hours
Cons: misleading protection plans
Review orders on furniture damage(s) and determine what is more cost efficient sending a technician to repair the damages or offer a settlement.
If sending a tech I would have to search our data base throughout the US and determine the best tech to use according to repairs star rating and reviews,what one does these type of repairs as well as more cost efficient. Then contact customer to set the tech visit.

If not cost efficient I would come up with a settlement price according to the price of the furniture and how old it was. Then contact and make offer to customer if they accept then I would forward email to accounting and they would issue payment.
Everyone works together to produce a quality product
HSE/HR Coordinator (Current Employee), Sanford, NCJune 23, 2014
Pros: work as a team, good benefits, good quality product
Cons: hot in the summer, cold in the winter
Friendly, relaxed work envirnonment, every one works well together. Good attitudes, good work ethics
Valspar
Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 19, 2014
My job description was a Truck Manager/Mobile Specialist. I performed color matching and tinting by following the established procedures for the mobile paint store. Other requirements were to deliver and mix paint to apartment complexes and various contractors on site, and the ability to identify and explain different types of paint and sundries to successfully complete any job. Prepared and transmitted the daily bookkeeping, invoicing and gasoline data with a daily close out sales analysis.
Productive and employee driven workplace.
BUYER (Former Employee), Moline, ILApril 11, 2014
Pros: lunches for meeting goals, company activities (pinics, parties)
I enjoyed my work at Valspar. Workplace enviroment was pleasent and productive. They invite employees partipation in committies to become active in Valspar. I learned to be versitable and learned varies jobs and made myself available to take on any job. Enjoyed all my co workers and made many friends.
Coatings Expert
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Charlotte NCApril 10, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: big box retail
Learn everything you need to know about the different types of coatings and paints. What works best for each application.
Competitive pay but slow advancement
Lab Technician (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, profit sharing
Cons: no advancement
In my current role, my manager respects me and is easy to work for. He knows that I accepted my current position with the hopes of advancing to a position that more suits my qualifications. That has not happened. It has been talked about, and promised for several cycles of promotions. We always hear the same reasons why, hiring freeze, cost constraints, just wait for your right opportunity. It is not a bad place to work, but if you are looking for a career and a place to climb the ladder I would not recommend it.

1 2 3

About Valspar

Valspar wants you to put on a coat. The firm makes a variety of coatings and paints for manufacturing, automotive, and food-packaging – Read more

Valspar Salaries