Valu Home Centers Employee Reviews in United States

retail operation, with interaction of customers
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 27, 2015
Family owned business is a nice concept but is lost in the marketplace. Compare themselves to big box stores but are not in the same ranking.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
no real system of control
mixing paint and good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 25, 2015
always had a great day.. I learned alot bout different products.. my co-workers was great. i most enjoy helping customers
Vice President of Store Operations (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 10, 2015
Family owned and operated, treated you like family. It is a retail environment so the hours and pay go along with such. That being said thaey were more than fair in thier dealings.
Pros
Family owned and operated
Cons
it's retail
Great company to work for, great crew and culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  3275 Sheridan Dr Amherst, NYJune 9, 2015
I learned great CRS skills and enjoyed being a valuable asset to this company while gaining a considerable amount of knowledge and skills. A typical day is exposure to customers looking for advice on projects and assistance finding their products necessary to complete their projects. Also there was considerable amount of stocking of merchandise. My co-workers are awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting my customers who many times come looking just for me, Hardest part of the job was the heaving lifting of 50 lb. plus objects.
Pros
Excellent People
Cons
Hard time getting hours, Sometimes lifting very heavy objects
not the easiest to work for
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Geneva, NYApril 22, 2015
This job was and is not an easy job to do because you do not have much of a home life with the amount to work each week.
good work associates and a good team
Decent place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  East Aurora,NYApril 20, 2015
Company is very focused on growth and leadership. Long hours, compensation is ok. Decent benefits. Most upper level management has been with the company 20-30 years.
Fired for being injured
Floor Manager, Acting Asst. Manager, Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Lights PlazaJanuary 12, 2015
I was pulling a pallet of concrete mix and ended up bulging a disk in my neck. I was told by my DM that I hadn't worked there long enough for worker comp. Fired a few months later for not communicating with the DM and for a bad attitude, a week before Thanksgiving! So much for being a family company!
Cons
everything
Good entry level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 10, 2014
Fairly flexible schedules.
Good place to develop communication skills.
Good company
FLOOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYMay 19, 2014
An old culture customer service retailer. Being family owned and operated, it has short-comings in stubborn values that worked 40 years ago that don't work necessarily today. They actively seek feedback to change how they do things though and seems to work. Long term I see this company staying around for the long haul.
Pros
job security
Cons
low pay versus hours worked as a manager.
department manager
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Inventory control, Receiving Department Manager Sales was what I did during the day.
Pros
excelent company to work for
Customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springville, NYDecember 27, 2013
Providing quality customer service to patrons. Assisting in finding the right product.
One bad experience
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo areaNovember 11, 2013
I have never worked anywhere that assumed everyone was stealing from them, until I worked at Valu. Not just customers, but the employees. They bring you into the company telling you they're family friendly, but just try to get time off for a family event.
My favorite was when I read in the Manager's Handbook that you get one week vacation after one year, IF you have a favorable evaluation. REALLY!?
And what ever you do don't discuss that it's illegal to throw florescent lights in the dumpster, pour paint thinner down a drain, or operate a fork lift without OSHA certification. The manager I worked with just told me it's better to keep my mouth shut.
Oh... I got "talked to" because I spent too much time with a customer. Ummm... ok.
Besides, most of their products are over runs, re-mans, or just cheap junk from China.
Knowing what I know, it's the store of last resort for me.
Pros
umm... none
Cons
too many to list
they don't really appreciate hard working loyal employees.
Scan Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clarence, NYSeptember 11, 2013
They expect you to but you butt every day and to blindly do what they want. They don't really want your opinion unless it completely agrees with what they want and how they want to do it.
How they want you to dress and keep up your appearance is left vague so the manager can interpret it how he wants and change his interpretation when ever he want.
How bad it is depends on the management your stuck with.
Pros
they do some what work around school schedules and requested time off.
Cons
management expectes you to do everything, keep a smile on your face, and you to kiss their butt.
Great place to work! Great people!
Director of IT (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 24, 2013
Depending on what department you work for you will be dealing with customers directly or indirectly (store support). Management looks towards your best interests in moving you forward at your own pace and capability. Continual training is offered for all levels.
driver and warehouse work
Mr. Jon Bafano, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  buffalo, nyJuly 22, 2013
I really enjoyed my co-workers and driving my truck for local and some far run deliveries for all valu home centers stores.
Could be worse
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 23, 2013
Lousy Pay
Non reimbursement for required travel
6 day work week
Not good
manager (Former Employee) –  WNYApril 8, 2013
Absolutely no work/home balance. 6 days a week, sometimes there for 12 days in a row to get 2 whole days off, very poor personal time and you're told when you can and can't use it. Managers constantly coming and going. One week you're 15 min from your location, the next week an hour.
laid back but low pay
asst manager (Former Employee) –  ny,nyFebruary 16, 2013
Want to work 6 days during the week? not work too hard? start at the bottom of management salaries? well this jobs for you. Look around they dont seem to do much but say hi to customers thats because theres nothing else to do plus the pay is low.
Pros
low frieght levels, friendly people
Cons
low pay, long weeks, advancement poor
great company and great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kenmore, NYJuly 26, 2012
loved working for Valu always busy and had a new challenge every day!
Productive and fun workplace, great pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 20, 2012
My work responsibilities involve greeting customers, running the register and assisting customers if they needed assistance. I also had the duties of opening and closing the store, meeting sales goals daily, manage inventory and manage the income of the register
Pros
loved co workers and customers