Valu Home Centers

Valu Home Centers Employee Reviews

Nice environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 17, 2017
I really did like this job, the managers and crew were fun to be around and talk with, they just never gave many hours i would have 30 one week and 18 the next
Loved working here!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warren, PAFebruary 19, 2017
Very relaxing environment and great for a first job for a teen. It was a great stepping stone for me! They give you opportunities to take classes to learn more and pay you for your time to go take the classes. There is a product fair every year you can go to and you are paid for your time but you get to see new products and they take great care of you!
no work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Seems like alot of people here are trying to get ahead by trying to make their co workers look bad, if you can suck up to upper management you will get ahead.
Pros
easy work
Cons
alot of hours
Terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJanuary 5, 2017
A social matter between two employees led to the company over reacting and resulted in many hard working people losing their employment because of the improperly handled situation.
good people
caahier (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYDecember 15, 2016
Helpful co-workers ~ I enjoyed arriving to see happy customers. You must be able to find things to do, as a cashier, it gets boring to just stand in one place.
Great experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alden, NY 14004October 19, 2016
It was a good experience for me. I liked being a cashier, interacting with the customers and helping them along the way. It gave me experience in handling money and great customer service experience.
Productive and fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYAugust 31, 2016
I only worked at this store for only a few months. it was a very fun place to work. i wasn't the biggest fan of working as a cashier. i liked working the floor more and helping customers. there was a lot of room for advancement but you had to take classes on your day off to get a raise. which granted was only for a few hours but still you had to sit through a lecture
Valu Home Centers
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYJune 22, 2016
I do not feel like I am being given an opportunity to advance my career here. Would like to work somewhere that offers competitive pay and an opportunity for advancement.
Worked 16yrs for Valu in 5 locations
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Western nyJune 8, 2016
Overall a great place to work. For some one who wants to work for a family owned company. Not worried about your numbers everyday and your profit. Just take care of your customers and they will take care of you. Lots of training for management. I felt the upper management was more fair with he managers. The was good
Valu
Cashier/Customer Service/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NY 13045February 15, 2016
Enjoyed stocking shelves, enjoyed waiting on customers, liked the people that worked there, management was fair and helped if needed.
Pros
Excitement
Cons
retail operation, with interaction of customers
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 27, 2015
Family owned business is a nice concept but is lost in the marketplace. Compare themselves to big box stores but are not in the same ranking.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
no real system of control
mixing paint and good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 25, 2015
always had a great day.. I learned alot bout different products.. my co-workers was great. i most enjoy helping customers
Vice President of Store Operations (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 10, 2015
Family owned and operated, treated you like family. It is a retail environment so the hours and pay go along with such. That being said thaey were more than fair in thier dealings.
Pros
Family owned and operated
Cons
it's retail
Great company to work for, great crew and culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  3275 Sheridan Dr Amherst, NYJune 9, 2015
I learned great CRS skills and enjoyed being a valuable asset to this company while gaining a considerable amount of knowledge and skills. A typical day is exposure to customers looking for advice on projects and assistance finding their products necessary to complete their projects. Also there was considerable amount of stocking of merchandise. My co-workers are awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting my customers who many times come looking just for me, Hardest part of the job was the heaving lifting of 50 lb. plus objects.
Pros
Excellent People
Cons
Hard time getting hours, Sometimes lifting very heavy objects
not the easiest to work for
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Geneva, NYApril 22, 2015
This job was and is not an easy job to do because you do not have much of a home life with the amount to work each week.
good work associates and a good team
Decent place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  East Aurora,NYApril 20, 2015
Company is very focused on growth and leadership. Long hours, compensation is ok. Decent benefits. Most upper level management has been with the company 20-30 years.
Fired for being injured
Floor Manager, Acting Asst. Manager, Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Lights PlazaJanuary 12, 2015
I was pulling a pallet of concrete mix and ended up bulging a disk in my neck. I was told by my DM that I hadn't worked there long enough for worker comp. Fired a few months later for not communicating with the DM and for a bad attitude, a week before Thanksgiving! So much for being a family company!
Pros
Cons
everything
Good entry level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 10, 2014
Fairly flexible schedules.
Good place to develop communication skills.
Good company
FLOOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYMay 19, 2014
An old culture customer service retailer. Being family owned and operated, it has short-comings in stubborn values that worked 40 years ago that don't work necessarily today. They actively seek feedback to change how they do things though and seems to work. Long term I see this company staying around for the long haul.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low pay versus hours worked as a manager.
department manager
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Inventory control, Receiving Department Manager Sales was what I did during the day.
Pros
Excelent company to work for
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valu Home Centers. Our community is ready to answer.

Valu Home Centers Reviews by Location