Valu Home Centers

Valu Home Centers Employer Reviews

Good company
FLOOR MANAGER (Former Employee), Lockport, NYMay 19, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: low pay versus hours worked as a manager.
An old culture customer service retailer. Being family owned and operated, it has short-comings in stubborn values that worked 40 years ago that don't work necessarily today. They actively seek feedback to change how they do things though and seems to work. Long term I see this company staying around for the long haul.
department manager
Department Manager (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: excelent company to work for
Inventory control, Receiving Department Manager Sales was what I did during the day.
Customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Springville, NYDecember 27, 2013
Providing quality customer service to patrons. Assisting in finding the right product.
One bad experience
Floor Manager (Former Employee), Buffalo areaNovember 11, 2013
Pros: umm... none
Cons: too many to list
I have never worked anywhere that assumed everyone was stealing from them, until I worked at Valu. Not just customers, but the employees. They bring you into the company telling you they're family friendly, but just try to get time off for a family event.
My favorite was when I read in the Manager's Handbook that you get one week vacation after one – more... year, IF you have a favorable evaluation. REALLY!?
And what ever you do don't discuss that it's illegal to throw florescent lights in the dumpster, pour paint thinner down a drain, or operate a fork lift without OSHA certification. The manager I worked with just told me it's better to keep my mouth shut.
Oh... I got "talked to" because I spent too much time with a customer. Ummm... ok.
Besides, most of their products are over runs, re-mans, or just cheap junk from China.
Knowing what I know, it's the store of last resort for me. – less
they don't really appreciate hard working loyal employees.
Scan Coordinator (Former Employee), Clarence, NYSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: they do some what work around school schedules and requested time off.
Cons: management expectes you to do everything, keep a smile on your face, and you to kiss their butt.
They expect you to but you butt every day and to blindly do what they want. They don't really want your opinion unless it completely agrees with what they want and how they want to do it.
How they want you to dress and keep up your appearance is left vague so the manager can interpret it how he wants and change his interpretation when ever he want.
How – more... bad it is depends on the management your stuck with. – less
Great place to work! Great people!
Director of IT (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJuly 24, 2013
Depending on what department you work for you will be dealing with customers directly or indirectly (store support). Management looks towards your best interests in moving you forward at your own pace and capability. Continual training is offered for all levels.
driver and warehouse work
Mr. Jon Bafano, Supervisor (Former Employee), buffalo, nyJuly 22, 2013
I really enjoyed my co-workers and driving my truck for local and some far run deliveries for all valu home centers stores.
Could be worse
Floor Manager (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYApril 23, 2013
Lousy Pay
Non reimbursement for required travel
6 day work week
Not good
manager (Former Employee), WNYApril 8, 2013
Absolutely no work/home balance. 6 days a week, sometimes there for 12 days in a row to get 2 whole days off, very poor personal time and you're told when you can and can't use it. Managers constantly coming and going. One week you're 15 min from your location, the next week an hour.
laid back but low pay
asst manager (Former Employee), ny,nyFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: low frieght levels, friendly people
Cons: low pay, long weeks, advancement poor
Want to work 6 days during the week? not work too hard? start at the bottom of management salaries? well this jobs for you. Look around they dont seem to do much but say hi to customers thats because theres nothing else to do plus the pay is low.
great company and great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kenmore, NYJuly 26, 2012
loved working for Valu always busy and had a new challenge every day!
Productive and fun workplace, great pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Olean, NYJuly 20, 2012
Pros: loved co workers and customers
My work responsibilities involve greeting customers, running the register and assisting customers if they needed assistance. I also had the duties of opening and closing the store, meeting sales goals daily, manage inventory and manage the income of the register

About Valu Home Centers

Valu Home Centers has been proudly serving the do-it-yourselfer since 1968. With 41 stores and nearly 900 employees in Western – Read more