VALUE CITY Employee Reviews

out of bussiness
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Danville, VASeptember 14, 2016
job no longer exists in our area so cannot comment on business practices and company information or operations cant provide review
A ok job
Helper / Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelby Township, MISeptember 12, 2016
Not alot of experiance with the delveries you work for a contractor. you have to load the trucks at night! i always thought it was easier to load trucks in the am and then start youre day
Pros
Work over the road
Cons
no experiance
Home Furnishing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILSeptember 9, 2016
Value City is a wonderful company, their views and morals are something they hold high in importance. My coworkers are great to work with but I work as a Sales Associate so it can be hard sometimes. I feel the job comes naturally and it is not very hard. The physical tasks are simple and management does their best to make sure the work is done fairly. There is always areas for improvement and when it comes to Value City each store can very on what those areas are. If you enjoy provided a good experience for a Customer and being recognized for that then Value City is a great place to work!

The only complaint is the way they choose to promote their employees is not what I would expect from a Furniture Store. I have been reaching for a Sales Manager position for almost a year, managers quiz me to test my knowledge and skills and give me great feed back. Yet as they give me feed back I watch as outside sources are being hired for positions I feel I would have excelled at and the Management does not show that they truly want you to grow int he company, they continue to fail to grab their bosses attention and direct it towards me when these new positions arise.
Produtive shop experience
Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  New Carrollton, MDAugust 30, 2016
Even thought I was only 1 year, I enjoyed working at the shop at Value City because also it was closer to home, but La z boy called back to return to them with a better opportunity in working as a field tech in Home.
Pros
Great Job and Management
Cons
slow at times
ok
very structured
Columbus is great
managers are fine
no life outside
too many phone calls at night
hours
Pros
pay
Cons
employees
Pretty good work place.
America signature (Current Employee) –  Burbank, ILAugust 13, 2016
A sometime busy sometimes not so busy place to be .very fun but could be a pain if you let it.
We unload 3-5 trucks a week
Keep the floor frash with new furniture.
Good
Furniture Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 12, 2016
Working for Value City Furniture for nearly 20 years was a good life experience. I made several life long friends among my fellow associates. The management I was in contact with was always fair,approachable. The interaction between the customers allowed me to develop better people skills.
Pros
Great work envioriment
Cons
Don't have any
Fun very motivating work environment
Home Furnishings Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJuly 29, 2016
I love this company it is just at this time I need to advance my income and I feel as if I need to explore my options to do that.
Awsome experice
Home Furnishings Consultant (Former Employee) –  Countryside, ILJuly 21, 2016
I had never had a sales job with commission pay but I learned very quickly on how to maximize on the opportunity. Plus, I did not know much about furniture but with the help of my co-workers I adapted.
My fellow co-workers were my family since we worked long hours as a team.
Pros
Great fellow co-workers
Cons
Not enough customers
Was a stressful and uneasy place to work.
Home Furniture Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2016
Was a stressful and uneasy place to work. A lot of backstabbing and complaining from other sales persons with no strong leadership in place.
fast-paced place of employment; nice co-workers
Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MIJuly 3, 2016
I personally loved working here. Though challenging at times, it was a nice place to work. Nice management team and always room for promotion.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
lazy yet nice management
Good Company, bad delivery people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Metro-DetroitJuly 2, 2016
I would not recommend delivery in the Metro-Detroit area.
Furniture is good, pick up if possible. Service is terrible.
Value City
Sales (Current Employee) –  New CarrolltonJune 30, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people, and helping them make decison on ther purchases.

We have an up list that we are to follow at all times, each sales person gets a change to have a custommer, itis up to you to close the sale. If yoy don't sale you will not get a pay check, if you owe the company for more then four times a year, you would loss your job.

The managers are ok.
Great atmoshere
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2016
Great atmosphere to work in. Not the best pay, but, the work isnt hard and the hours are ok. OT is available if needed. Management doesnt micro-manage and you will learn how to work with your hands
Not a place you want to work!
Clerical (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 21, 2016
Think twice before applying. Not a place you would want to work at. Favoritism is huge in this company, you must brown nose big time in order to get anywhere in this company. They do not have a human resource team so if you have any issues or problems good luck trying to talk to someone. The office manager is awful she is rude and very unprofessional. Their upper management team is a joke they don't do anything. huge turnaround company people work for weeks and the leave, that should speak for itself. There is no room for advancement, no salary increases for years!!! Several years!!
Pros
Cons
Management, salary, system, everything
Fun place to work
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 7, 2016
I was Cash Office and interacted with all employees daily. They were fair and the employees were part of the Union and we worked well with their union rep
it was one of my most rewarding experience and the real opportunity to enrty level
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJune 4, 2016
I started out as a fulltime suit and menswear department associate and after a year I went into the company training programs after 2 years I promoted to department supervisor under 6 years I made to store manager over 32 employees I directed , the hardest was to keep tight racks and small isle presentable and maintained consistently ,the most enjoyable was move in the ranks into management , I learned if you work hard , hustle , and open youre mind and always keep positive attitude good things will happen for anyone willing to apply themselves.
Pros
company rewarded harwork by training employees to grow and promote within.
Cons
to much irregular merchandise, jam packing mechandise to floor and dim lighting
Fun place to work
Clothing Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2016
A typical day at work is hanging clothes folding clothes just pretty much dealing with clothes. There is not a hard part in this job it is pretty easy
Closed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 4, 2016
This store is closed. Good place to work for. Management was fair. Typical day was unloading truck, stocking, running register, cleaning store and closing.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Enjoyable work environment
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pottsville, PAJune 1, 2016
I balanced cashier drawers and the store safe. I prepared the daily deposit. On the human resources side of the job, I completed background checks, scheduled interviews, entered weekly billing, prepared new employee jackets and filed paperwork. I also received training as cashier, customer service, and loss prevention. I felt that this job was easy. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the experience that I gained and the friendly work environment.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment.
Cons
No health benefits and store closed.