ValueOptions

ValueOptions Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAJanuary 30, 2016
This place seems like the perfect Job at first, as time goes on the true colors of this place, comes to light.I was so excited when i was offered a position at this company.... The way this company gets you, is by making you believe that You are getting a great deal ....After your first 30 days you get benefits..This is all a illusion to what's to come. The benefits is definitely needed, because all the stress that comes with working at this place.. You end up needing a Psychiatrist or you end up on medication. This place is so stressful not to mention the incompetent teamleads and supervisors..Management is a big joke,when you ask a question, you are told to read a binder that's missing pages..I cannot believe how unfairly folks are treated, no one knows what they're doing at this specific location.This place will send you to the ER...High call volumes, management ignores your questions, team leads with bad attitude, holier than thou attitude..You are not rewarded for your good work, favoritism to the utmost.. If you make a mistake you get treated like a 3 year old in time out...Trying to get someone to take a call for a member to be screened, is like pulling teeth. It's Unbelieveable how unorganized this place is the team leads, ignores you all day long.. If you ask a question you are told to ask another team lead, or you get totally ignored. The case managers never answers the calls to screen the members. Creating high calls volume, because the member has to keep calling back.. The team leads are all incompetent, how did you become a team lead, and you obviously dont what  more... you're doing. The turn over rate is so high, It's sad. A typical day at this place, is high call volumes,team leads with bad attitudes. Management blames you for mistakes, that is clearly they're fault because of lack of training.Everyone looks like they have been hit by a freight train. You come into beacon looking great, by 6 months you age 10 years older by all the stress.You cannot get a straight answer when trying to solve a members question. You get the run around from those incompetent team leads.You get micromanage all day, It's ridiculous worst than a daycare center.. Not to mention, you are told when to take your lunch and breaks. You have to notify management, when you are going to the restroom.Team leads and manangers just runs around the office, like chickens with they're head cut off.Stay away from this place if you want to keep your sanity..I have never seen a more unorganized place like this.No one knows what they're doing.. So happy i got out...  less
Pros
Free Coffee, Medical Benefits ok.
Cons
Over worked, Under pay
Researcher
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJanuary 27, 2016
I work with a great group of people, the company has a lot of employment opportunities and my supervisor is someone that I feel comfortable with and can go to with any issue.
Pros
location
RUN away as fast you can!
Claims Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJanuary 19, 2016
I worked as a CSR in the call center for Provider Relations for nearly seven months and have no idea how I lasted one minute longer. While I have happily moved on to bigger and much better things since then, I still can’t help but go over the reviews knowing how totally accurate they are. They also make me thank my lucky stars and feel ever so fortunate for every day that I am not longer working at this place. For anyone who is reading this who is considering accepting a job offer or even a current employee, my advice is to continue looking around for a far better opportunity, then take it and run with it as fast as you can. Doing so will be the best decision you can make and your life will be better for it. The irony is that this is a health insurance company whose mission it is to help those with mental health issues at the expense of the well-being of its employees with all the unnecessary stress, pressure, and chaos that is inflicted on them on a daily basis. After leaving here, I would advise taking at least a few days to decompress and return to a normal state of mind. This job didn’t seem all too horrible at first, but then the true colors began to show themselves once I got thrown into taking claims processing calls. Over time, I was met with unrealistic expectations, increased inflexibility, forced involuntary overtime compounded with lack of adequate training and lack of support. There was also the issue of being controlled and micromanaged to the point of feeling as I were treated as nothing much more than a wayward child. You can feel free to accept this job is you  more... do not mind being thrown out onto the floor after being given a week’s worth of training for handling claims calls, if you get any at all, which is barely enough time to scratch the surface. This is made more problematic with the fact that one you are on the floor ,expected to complete an increasing unbearable work load while receiving little to no support from your supervisors or your TA’s so you are on your own for the most part. If you do decide to ask for their help, either with inquiries or if an irate customer is demanding assistance from a supervisor. They will response by either ignoring you as much as they can or fighting you or pushing back at every turn. Be prepared to be met with a rude, condescending holier than thou attitude from a supervisor or TA as if they are above helping you. Even if you have a general question, you may not get it answered in a timely manner or get a nonsensical response arguing with you about how “nothing is ever a general question” by your pompous supervisor, suggesting that he doesn’t have to answer it if you don’t categorize the nature of the question in a certain way if that makes any sense. OR your supervisor’s grand solution is to just throw on of hundreds of Policies and Procedures to read as if that is always the answer. Actually, their main concept of training involves just handing over some packet with vague information about complex material and telling you to read it, which is something that anyone can do. Let’s not forget to mention the constant pushing back and passing the buck whenever a caller requests to speak with a TA or supervisor. They would spend more time trying to make it seem like it was your problem and you would get spoken to or yet another attitude for handing off a supervisor call to a supervisor because they just want to avoid handling the caller themselves or they simply do not know what they are doing. In addition, as I have personally experienced, you may get talked down to as if you were a three year old or just as a lesser human being if you made the mistake of transferring a call to the wrong extension, which is something that happened constantly since their idea of a transfer grid is a total mess in and of itself. Speaking of being treated like you are back in nursery school, an employee is very likely to get flack for being one minute or less passed your break, getting up to go the restroom without permission, being out sick even with a doctor’s note, using your time at all, talking to co-workers even if you are not on the clock yet. Basically, you can get in trouble for doing just about anything that doesn’t involve being chained to your desk and the phone. I have never in my professional life dealt with a company who had no issue with suspending, reducing or denying breaks just in the name of their precious call stats, since those are more important at the end of the day over the morale of your employees. Also, you get threatened with an occurrence if you dare to use any earned time off for any reason unless it is planned or predetermined three months in advance. Anyone who is actually in touch with reality would feasibly understand that not everything in life cannot be planned in advance since that is just not how it works in the real world. The flip side of that is that even if you knew you needed time off well ahead of time, you will still prohibited from even THINKING about entering your request before it is three months to the day thus it will be ignored, if that makes any sense either.

Advice to Management:

I am sure that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that your employees are your most valuale asset at the end of the day, so it is very vital to keep in mind how they are regarded in your company. If you actually show that you care about, appreciate and respect your employees then they will be motived to perform well which will in turn benefit the company. However, as long as you choose to think of your hard working employees as nothing much more cogs on a machine, robots with just a name and a number programmed to be nothing but dispensable, indentured servants who are just there so you can get your numbers and stats up to par so you look good, then continue to expect nothing but unusually high turnover rates which will only hurt you and your company’s reputation in the long run
Pros
free coffee, made a few new friends
Cons
everything else
Run don't walk and don't apply
Executive Administrative Special Assistant (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJanuary 15, 2016
The HR / Special position person is a joke! She brings her children to work all the time running and screaming around the office. Every Friday she gets sick, to no avail she has released 8 Admin Assistants.
Pros
Free coffe (K-Cups)
Loved it
Healthcare Finder (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2016
They provide great income, job stability, its fun. Everyone is relaxed and outgoing. The pay is also great. I enjoyed it a lot. This a great place to get experience.
Good Company
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJanuary 8, 2016
The best thing about ValueOptions is that I was recognized early on as a valuable and educated employee. I worked my way up to management quickly. The most difficult pat of my job as a Supervisor was having difficult discussions with employees who needed it. However, I was very good at having these discussions, so they were often sent to me.
Pros
Fantastic Co-workers and work environment.
Cons
There was a glass ceiling. The benefits were poor. After my husband and I moved, the commute was too much.
Great Experience Travelling
Report Writer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 7, 2016
Great experience travelling and seeing the entire world! I also learned a lot of discipline in the military that will carry with me for the rest of my life.
helping people a rewarding job
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Roseland, NJJanuary 2, 2016
my day begins at 8:00am and there are continuous phone calls ffrom providers and members who have a Horizon benefit plan for mental health and substance abuse. I help them with the claims benefits help find them providers in their network process authorizations when needed. I learned a lot about the health insurance business management is getting better. I work with a great bunch of people. the hardest part of my job would leaving my coworkers but I need to make more money. the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing your are helping someone
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Unreasonable Expectations
clinical research (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYDecember 22, 2015
Ridiculous training-no 1 on 1 training whatsoever. If you call pointing and reciting as a training tool then this is for you. Small Clique of a company at the site. What a joke they put all the pressure on the CSR'S while others go about there day as if its a Saturday and walking around is productive. Save yourself a headache and to be set up for failure. Apply now or run as fast as you can or hop in a car and peel rubber out of there.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Micro Management beyond belief.
Busy but easy going at the same time.
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXNovember 30, 2015
I learned a lot of crisis calls there. It was a real challenge to think on the spur of the moment. Handling calls with people in need was, for me, a good thing in the sense that I was helping someone. I really enjoyed it.
Pros
Sometimed management would buy lunch.
Cons
Not much down time between calls.
hard place to work
CALL CENTER/CALL CENTER REP (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYNovember 16, 2015
I found it very hard to work for this company, because of the type of company it was mental health and substance abuse every call people were upset in someway when it came to their child or children being addicted to drugs. I myself couldn't shut it out of my mind even after leaving work.

Company cut out our breaks if there were to many calls and not enough people to handle calls. Having to ask if it was ok to use restroom.
not good
csr 1 (Former Employee) –  Roseland, NJOctober 2, 2015
answering mental health and substance abuse benefit questions and review claims information sending information back for review explaining appeal process ., creating precert for inpatient stays
If you work hard you will do well here
Clinical Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Fast paced work environment. Talented caring professionals. Nation wide work force. Opportunities for professional advancement.
Pros
Opportunity to earn overtime pay
Cons
Ongoing admistrative changes
Great coworkers but minimal pay for a Masters level employee
Clinical Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  morrisville ncSeptember 15, 2015
I worked at value options for almost a year. I started out making the bare minimum for a masters level employee. I took the job for the work experience and took get out of my current job, which was dangerous. The benefits were not up to par for this company. My job was an intake specialist and they do assessments and have work/life stress just like the care managers. However we were not offered the same vacation time or even close to the the same pay. The job is very demanding when you are there and you are micro managed like crazy! I did however love the people that I worked with and their was only one supervisor that gave people problems. Another issue with this company is occurrences and getting in trouble for calling out. There is no flexibility, unless you request off far in advance. Overall it was great experience and led me in the direction I wanted to go in.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
short lunches and breaks, benefits, flexibility
Not always the best work environment.
Clinical Care Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 14, 2015
There are great supervisors and managers and then there are not. I have had both at this company. Depending on location/state you are in, can be the best job..just hope your spouse has good benefits as their plans can get quite costly with a simple procedure/illness. The pay is great though, but works itself out with the not so great benefits package. If all of the engagement centers worked the same, I would say it is a great workplace! Not a lot of advancement opportunities and seems very hierarchical.
Pros
Competitive Salary.
Cons
Health benefits have deductibles and 20% co pays, can get costly.
It was a place to learn cross training and working as a team.
Clerk 1 (Former Employee) –  Morrisville,ncSeptember 11, 2015
prepare my spreadsheet for incoming and out going mail.Scanning records and file.I enjoy customer service dealing with different people and attitudes.
Pros
we work as a team and our supervisor telling us how she appreciates us.
Cons
dealing with attitudes of customers that did not agree to their benefits.
I was always busy with various reports, time sheets, and special assignments.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VASeptember 8, 2015
I created and designed/linked and published to the Intranet for the Department Web Site-WEB SITE PUBLISHER. This was the hardest part of the job because this was an entire new area of work for me. I did the job well and received compliments from offices in other locations. Also I did time sheets for the department and general office work as on my resume. The employees and my boss were all fine people to work for and with. I enjoyed working at ValueOptions. The entire department was closed down and that was about the time I decided to return to Rochester.
Pros
I learned a new job skill. I enjoyed the learning and accomplishing the goal.
Cons
Can not say there were any cons.
very rewarding
Substance Abuse Specialist/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  PhoenixAugust 13, 2015
Client orientated, offered professional growth, training, and opportunity for direct practice. Work very challenging.
Pros
strong team dynamics
Cons
low pay and limited benefits.
Overnight Shift
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2015
In a pool with other transcriptionists preparing paperwork for transport to hospital if needed or for in-house records.
Pros
Overnight shift
Cons
Three buses needed to get to work.
ValueOptions no longer exists
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaAugust 1, 2015
ValueOptions was replaced by another behavioral health organization. Before being replaced, it was a great place to work.
I was employed here on two separate occasions.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Outsourced to another behavioral health organization.