Valvoline Instant Oil Change Employee Reviews in United States

job can be fun. locations differ.
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 1, 2016
some locations are too small you can only schedule what the company will let you which is forecasting 20-25 cars worth of work then you will get 40 cars worth and the management will complain about sales. this is the part that doesnt make much sense. you can get promoted easily and quickly pay is great for what it is. benefits i cant say because I never really used things like the insurance. 1 week vacation after a year, 2 after 2 years and 3 weeks after 3 years and thats the max. this is not a career type of place unless you go past a service center manager. no need to have knowledge of cars they will teach you. dont be fooled though. this is not just a job about changing oil, you have to do much more on a vehicle which isnt bad at all its the part that they make you sell things. its not a job about doing the services its about a job about making people buy them. sometimes you work 12hrs too. in the winter your hours are shaved. i lost 4 hours a week once January hit
Pros
pay, vacation policy, ability to be promoted
Cons
some of management (you have to get lucky), can work 12hrs
Good place to gain exprience and play for growth
Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 5, 2016
Regular would be attending about 40 cars a day, no problem good co-workers and fantastic management job growth is really encouraged,they will train you thoroughly and a promotion could be accomplished by 8 months in the job.
Pros
Provided Lunch on occasions and great benefits
Cons
good
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  beechmont,ohioDecember 20, 2015
good place to work, very hands on, progressing and advancment can take a while to move on up in the company. sometimes have to work long hours and deal with the weather as it changes. job not for everyone. good benifits and fifty percent off all services though!
Certified Technician
Certified Technician (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHDecember 11, 2015
It is a stable work environment with decent benefits and good customer service. I've learned much more about preventative maintenance for vehicles and how to better serve customer's needs.
Pros
Holiday pay, paid vacation each year
Cons
Sometimes stressful at certain stores, scheduling
Excellent Job with lots of promotion opportunity
Assistant Service Center Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 7, 2016
You work in the service center with your first promotion opportunity within 3 months of starting. Management has always been very good to me and always pushes me to go further and do more. The hardest part of the job is occasionally dealing with problems that come up in the service center but they are always quickly handled and you learn to move on. Working here is extremely fun. I have worked with a great group of people that are all goal oriented. They are always wanting to expand and work is never boring.
Dead End and Too much Drama
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 25, 2016
The average work day was from 7 am- 7 pm leaving no time for life. The manager at my particular store was amazing but that is about it. The employee retention rate was terrible and the culture within the store was horrid. Petty drama was tolerated and sometimes even encourages. I learned a lot about cars and even more about not trusting my co workers.
Pros
Extensive Training.
Cons
Long hours, short breaks, dramatic environment.
Fast paced and learning experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Avon COSeptember 30, 2015
I've worked for a Valvoline for 2 years, both franchises I worked for we're very different, the first was cheap, and slow to give raises and advancement, they did not trust their employees, the second company was fantastic, growth was quick and I was always given an explanation for any delays.
Pros
half off all services
Cons
long days
Questionable business practices
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 6, 2016
Valvoline was a great company to work for. The original franchise was purchased by a new company in Oct 2015. The new company seemed to be great, but it seemed at every turn the VP of Operations was doing things that created an issue of trust. Whether it be blatantly lying or not paying earned bonuses, inflating manager work hours way beyond minimums, not assisting stores in recruiting employees and keeping them grossly under staffed. I would highly recommend any management professionals seriously reconsider applying for a position with this company.
Pros
Great customers, great product
Cons
Shady business practices - extremely high work hours, low pay.
huge opportunity for advancement, but rescources not allocated for sucess
Senior Technician/ Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHMarch 11, 2016
expectations very clear, training very well organized and executed when there is no customers. When busy "roll with it" is the peak of performance expectations. management is top notch in most cases, but i feel that saying you are motivated and determined move a person into management more than demonstrating these traits. this job is VERY HARD when you are not supported by the rest of the team, meaning, if there are others not willing to work as hard as you are, then you will inevitably not succeed. the hardest part of the job is having the best of intentions and not having the resources to succeed, meaning equipment, staffing, team, time. the most enjoyable part of the job is constantly learning about cars, people and being appreciated for your hard work.
exciting automotive starting place
Assistant Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Walpole, MASeptember 13, 2015
this was my home for 4 years the company and it employees were my family. it can be a little tough when you are starting out but once you are in you are golden. they have competitive benefits company outing and upper management cares about the little guy
Pros
company outing over time
Cons
rough when starting out
Absolutely hands down the worse place to work.
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Lemay, MOMay 29, 2016
Way too much drama for the job. Horrible pay and 12 hour shifts. By time you get home, you don't want to spend time with the family your working for, you want to sleep because your so physically and emotionally drained. Then you get to wake up 8 hours later and do it all over again. Your forced to sell and if you can't, expect a unpleasant visit from the higher ups. No breaks, only a 30 minute lunch, and the management is absolutely horrible. I feel like they purposely find horrible managers for their service centers. And I've worked at 7 stores so I can say that from experience. If I could give this company any less than one star, I would.
Pros
Absolutely nothing except a sore body and depressed/stressed mind.
Cons
Absolutely everything. From the hours to the pay to the sales and managers
Productive and 15 minute services.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 15, 2016
Valvoline was a fast pace job with plenty to learn day in and day out. Had to work on different type model cars from luxury to your most common vehicle, each vehicle had a different way to be maintenance on such as transmission,radiator,defferentials etc. Always had to be on top of what was going on which was one of my favorite tasks about the job as well as working as a team. When the job was done right and quickly CUSTOMERS satisfaction was always something to embrace and enjoy. Overall all it was a learning process and thats something that will stick with me.
Pros
appreciation lunches
Cons
Short lunches, understaffed, 6 day work schedule, variable shifts
not a bad job
assistant service center manager (Current Employee) –  Canal Winchester, OHSeptember 28, 2015
Typical retail style job , company has good benefits with decent promotion. Poor job with management abovethe store level. Coworkers are great
Pros
good benefits
Great place to work for entry level automotive experience
Automotive technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NY 14618April 12, 2016
Valvoline Instant Oil Change is a great opportunity to get entry level training to do preventative maintenance on vehicles. No prior experience is needed to get employment here. Management and the other employees will teach you everything you need to know about light automotive tech work. You will become certified in 2-3 months with required book work and online courses. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement. You start out as a technician to a senior technician to an assistant manager to a store manager to an area manager and so on! There is mandatory book work and online courses to do for advancement so diligence is a must. They offer benefits, flexible scheduling, paid vacation and paid holidays.
Very enjoyable place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 22, 2016
There was never a complete stillness at work unless you were on break but, I enjoyed staying busy and meeting so many people. I also was able to learn more about how to better service a car as far as changing oil and different components as far as the variety of different vehicles and the makes of the car. Workers were very helpful and patient during my training process.
Pros
Learning the different makes and models of various cars as well as the skill to change oil.
Cons
Working under the cars during the winter and the difficulty of completely cleaning oil from yourself
Very productive, Not very caring for employees
Technician/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2016
Overall, I enjoyed working for the company. However, The longer you're there, the more you start to realize that they appreciate the employees as much as they should. It's a very busy, very fast paced Job. We would work from 8am-7pm and change to 8am-6:30pm as daylight savings occurred. Now, with this being said, that is averaging at 10.5-11 hour shifts. I can deal with that, in fact i'd rather be working instead of laying around being lazy, but not when we don't get guaranteed lunches and half of the staff is always calling in for the soul purpose of not wanting to work. We we're always short staffed, weren't allowed to wear beanies/jackets during winter, and weren't allowed the heater unless it was nearly freezing. All this adds up to a very difficult work environment. The management differed from location, but a lot of them hardly cared about anything else aside from themselves.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No lunches, not compositional pay, strenuous shifts due to little staff and no lunch
Don't Do It
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 16, 2016
Management is the worst. Lazy, promote a terrible atmosphere. Most immature environment I've worked for in years. The one plus to this job is that minus homicide or theft you can keep your job. They're desperate and always hiring because they run you into the ground. The work balance wouldn't be so bad if the management actually scheduled you how they were supposed to (4 day on 3 off). But they don't. They schedule 5 and 6 day a week tiny shifts so they can leave early, (even though they're supposed to be there 45 to 50 hours). After working there no way I'd take my car there to get any service. Saw a lot of deception and lies there...to customers and employees alike. If you find a good manager at a location who actually does what they're supposed to do it probably wouldn't be a bad starter job...but mine was worthless and made my workload impossible and life miserable. I don't recommend. Higher ups are either completely clueless or don't care to know and turn a blind eye.
Pros
Can't Lose Your Job
Cons
Pay, Management Not Accountable, Lying, Work/Life, Poor Culture
Busey
Technician (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYMay 30, 2016
A typical day at work would be to come to work on time and work hard all day. I learned that practice makes perfect. Management is a position of authority and meant to be respected. Co-workers are those that I can help and also shadow them on things I do not know how to do, for my learning ability and the companies productivity. The hardest part of the job is having to pick up messes after co-workers, but I do it out of respect for the next shift and the look of the shop. The most enjoyable part of a job is making good money and being able to take care of my family comfortably.
Most of the people were great
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMay 16, 2016
Dead end job if you don't push their products the whole environment is based about making everyone but yourself more money...

They are super pushy about selling products managers turn into depressed tyrants if you aren't making numbers.

Other technicians get mad at you if you start to sell more than them and try to steal your tickets or do anything they can to lower your numbers so they can look better.

If you don't like kissing butt do not work here it's a giant stroke fest.
Pros
Cons
Low pay no incentives to work harder
very fun place to work busy atmosphere
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 14, 2015
Depending on what day of the week day could start off busy or slow. If busy helps to get day off right to get into the groove and help with car count. If slow gives you a chance to clean up shop and go over numbers for previous day and goals for day. Team oriented job which also required multi tasking skills. In a whole great job if you love cars and people. In addition to my automotive knowledge i already had i learned more about newer cars and import vehicles and handling sticky situations with the customers. The management and co -workers were good people willing to help to keep the shop running smooth. The hardest part of the job was having to work short handed during some of the busiest hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers with problems.
Pros
Automotive knowledge
Cons
Being over worked

Valvoline Instant Oil Change Reviews by Location