Valvoline Instant Oil Change Employee Reviews in United States

Too Slow
Senior technician (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNMay 21, 2016
It's a great high school Job. It was just too slow for me. Very Pushy on sales, decent training, store management is good but above they they get really overbearing.
Good place for long hours
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Township of White Bear, MNMay 20, 2016
Besides annoying callouts you have to say and if you don't sell their "magic number" consistently, don't expect to get promoted far. It's not a bad place to work if you want to learn how to work on cars.
Pros
Learning different cars
Cons
No commission sales
poor managment
Technician/Car Inspector (Former Employee) –  Indian Trail, NCMay 19, 2016
Seemed like they had new managers every other week, wasn't in the best location, staff scheduling was also very poor, wasn't a clean work place.
Company great, AM was not
Service Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 19, 2016
Constantly had an area manager micro management and never realy got to know his teams. Always found something to bicker about. Always negative. Always noticed that he had a way of making people feel like they wasnt worthy or that they wouldnt ever be truly good enough .
Job was good, but unreliable.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAMay 18, 2016
I liked this job but I was not put where I excelled best and the schedule changes would cause me not to have a clue when I was working.
Cons
abrupt schedule changes
I love my job
Area Manager/Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 18, 2016
Valvoline as a whole is awesome to work for. It really just depends on the franchise or corporate side you get into. I have learned to handle issues and situations I did not know could come about between a customer and a manager. Hardest part of the job is trying to please everyone. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a customer intrusting with Valvoline.
Cons
no healthcare at my franchise, no upkeep on the shops at my franchise.
Most of the people were great
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMay 16, 2016
Dead end job if you don't push their products the whole environment is based about making everyone but yourself more money...

They are super pushy about selling products managers turn into depressed tyrants if you aren't making numbers.

Other technicians get mad at you if you start to sell more than them and try to steal your tickets or do anything they can to lower your numbers so they can look better.

If you don't like kissing butt do not work here it's a giant stroke fest.
Pros
Cons
Low pay no incentives to work harder
Good job and benefits, challenged by management
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 12, 2016
I enjoyed my work and appreciated learning a skill I will have forever. My biggest challenge were the inconsistent hours and ability to know in advance when I had to work. I as there over a year and no two weeks looked the same. Communication with management was also challenging, but I did the work to the best of my ability.
Pros
Learned a good skill
Cons
Inconsistent hours
I loved this place!
Senior Technician/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, NJMay 6, 2016
I love the people! The co-workers are like family, the boss is great!
This place can be very busy but the those days go by fast! Its a great Place!
Just wasn't a good fit
Lube Technician, Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLMay 3, 2016
Learned a lot with this company, however I did not approve of some of the morals it had. Along with my fellow co workers, it just wasn't a good fit and needed to find something different.
Pros
Laid back easygoing workplace
Very professional and courteous team.
Technician (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work included performing preventative maintenance service on all types of vehicles. I learned much about engines, powertrain systems, cooling and HVAC systems, etc.Management was fantastic, and co-workers solved issues responsibly. The hardest part of the job was splitting the workload between customer and vehicle service. The most enjoyable part was gaining more and more knowledge on vehicle maintenance.
Fast paced
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Keller, TXApril 27, 2016
Oil changes and vehicle services. I've become more mechanically incline due to the jobs nature. Another person and I were the management at this particular location. Dealing with the outdoor elements was a big factor. But helping people was the most rewarding part of the job.
Great
money handling, and maintaining mechanic equipment (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOApril 25, 2016
Work was efficient and steady. The management is great and the work is admirable knowing you are leaaning as you go. The culture is great as well
Very productive, Not very caring for employees
Technician/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2016
Overall, I enjoyed working for the company. However, The longer you're there, the more you start to realize that they appreciate the employees as much as they should. It's a very busy, very fast paced Job. We would work from 8am-7pm and change to 8am-6:30pm as daylight savings occurred. Now, with this being said, that is averaging at 10.5-11 hour shifts. I can deal with that, in fact i'd rather be working instead of laying around being lazy, but not when we don't get guaranteed lunches and half of the staff is always calling in for the soul purpose of not wanting to work. We we're always short staffed, weren't allowed to wear beanies/jackets during winter, and weren't allowed the heater unless it was nearly freezing. All this adds up to a very difficult work environment. The management differed from location, but a lot of them hardly cared about anything else aside from themselves.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No lunches, not compositional pay, strenuous shifts due to little staff and no lunch
Laid back workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New YorkApril 24, 2016
was busy most of the time, only slow during bad weather, everyone was like family, good place to work for but not if you wanted to advance
Pros
30 minute lunches, flexible with breaks, paid vacation, paid sick time, flexible on raises
Cons
no room for advancement
Don't Do It
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 16, 2016
Management is the worst. Lazy, promote a terrible atmosphere. Most immature environment I've worked for in years. The one plus to this job is that minus homicide or theft you can keep your job. They're desperate and always hiring because they run you into the ground. The work balance wouldn't be so bad if the management actually scheduled you how they were supposed to (4 day on 3 off). But they don't. They schedule 5 and 6 day a week tiny shifts so they can leave early, (even though they're supposed to be there 45 to 50 hours). After working there no way I'd take my car there to get any service. Saw a lot of deception and lies there...to customers and employees alike. If you find a good manager at a location who actually does what they're supposed to do it probably wouldn't be a bad starter job...but mine was worthless and made my workload impossible and life miserable. I don't recommend. Higher ups are either completely clueless or don't care to know and turn a blind eye.
Pros
Can't Lose Your Job
Cons
Pay, Management Not Accountable, Lying, Work/Life, Poor Culture
A fun place to work
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickerington, OHApril 12, 2016
I loved working here! I loved my co-workers, customers and the type of work, I would still be there if I didn't have to move away.
Great place to work for entry level automotive experience
Automotive technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NY 14618April 12, 2016
Valvoline Instant Oil Change is a great opportunity to get entry level training to do preventative maintenance on vehicles. No prior experience is needed to get employment here. Management and the other employees will teach you everything you need to know about light automotive tech work. You will become certified in 2-3 months with required book work and online courses. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement. You start out as a technician to a senior technician to an assistant manager to a store manager to an area manager and so on! There is mandatory book work and online courses to do for advancement so diligence is a must. They offer benefits, flexible scheduling, paid vacation and paid holidays.
You will smell like oil, but you're coworkers are fun to chat with
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAApril 11, 2016
Valvoline Instant Oil Change looked like a very clean and put together establishment prior to my employment with them. It was not until after the interviews that I realized how dis-organized the working conditions may end up being. Your commission rates were constantly on the line, there was virtually no worker's compensation, I felt it was a physical health hazard to continue working in the position I had. We spent almost an entire winter in an open garage with no air conditioning and I had to break ice outside with a ball-peen hammer because they would not hire special maintenance.
I also painted the inside of the shop for the same hourly rate because they would not hire someone else to do the same.

My coworkers were always very nice, but the shop can have an aggressive and excessively intimate atmosphere. Vulgarity is commonplace here when no one is around and my location had a 3 to 13 ratio of personnel that did not smoke and personnel that did. It was still a good first job, but it is not something you would want to stay for unless going into a purely sales commission role.
Pros
Free pizza when the shop gets busy, free coffe
Cons
Subject to weather conditions, poor air quality, low wages
Questionable business practices
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 6, 2016
Valvoline was a great company to work for. The original franchise was purchased by a new company in Oct 2015. The new company seemed to be great, but it seemed at every turn the VP of Operations was doing things that created an issue of trust. Whether it be blatantly lying or not paying earned bonuses, inflating manager work hours way beyond minimums, not assisting stores in recruiting employees and keeping them grossly under staffed. I would highly recommend any management professionals seriously reconsider applying for a position with this company.
Pros
Great customers, great product
Cons
Shady business practices - extremely high work hours, low pay.

Valvoline Instant Oil Change Reviews by Location