Valvoline Instant Oil Change

Valvoline Instant Oil Change Employee Reviews

Great People, Not Great Opportunities
Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 14, 2015
Very cool and expanding business. Lots of upfront opportunities but not a lot of room for long term opportunities. Just not enough money to be made to support yourself.
Fast Paced and Hands On
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 8, 2015
A typical day at Valvoline would consist of opening the shop, checking daily goals, servicing customer vehicles and maintaining customer relationships by providing superior customer service, ordering new material, creating the daily deposit, closing the shop and then delivering the deposit to the bank.
Cons
No Overtime, Limited Lunch Breaks
productive hours/days
Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis,MNJuly 1, 2015
like working there i wanted to learn more i love the training they gave it was helpful the employees where great.the hours i worked where really good
Pros
experience
Cons
N/A
Learned a lot about cars while working there.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJuly 1, 2015
Good place to work for short period of time. Definitely not a place to start a career, but a good summer job. Nothing else to say really.
Pros
Easy to learn, no prior knowledge of mechanics required
Cons
compensation is lacking
Good company to work for nice staff
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHJune 26, 2015
As a technician at Valvoline I have learned to thoroughly inspect vehicles maintenance items and repair and replace as necessary. Provide top customer service and ensuring each customer leaves happy. I have more knowledge on how to fill out invoices and repair orders. I have further more learned how to use team work when repairs have to be done within a certain time criteria.
Pros
Ability to work on personal vehicles
Cons
short breaks
Not advised, except as first time employment.
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, New YorkJune 22, 2015
Valvoline honors those who are salesman over those who know how to do the services. Someone who talks to the customer will make over a dollar an hour more that a technician with real experience. Also, that same highly experienced tech makes the same per hour as a kid who has never touched a wrench. Pay solid mechanics what they are worth. Not everyone is leadership material nor wants to be but if they can perform all the services and can fix minor problems to keep the customer happy, they are worth more that $9.40 to $9.70 an hour. This saves management a TON of headaches.
A few things qualify as the hardest part of the job:
1.) The amount of senior techs at any given store. Sure, the idea of anyone being able move up is great but what you end up with is 4 senior techs at a time not knowing who is ultimately in charge and responsible for handling problems.
2.) Scheduling. Since everyone was afraid to work shorthanded, no one would be sent home early when slow and they would never overlap lunch breaks. These two things are the keys to keeping payroll under control. Since no one listened to this suggestion, hours started getting cut which meant they weren't able to get needed coverage for shifts. Their solution was to schedule people from open to close (over 11 hours). For someone with no family I guess that is ok, (I noticed that they only did this to the lowest on the totem pole though) but by the time you get home and cleaned up there is almost no time for your kids. They would justify it by saying it was the only way to give you more hours but they hours never went back
  more... up after they went down.
3.) The standards for knowing your job are very low. It is quite frustrating to have be all over the store because a salesman who can't perform the services just loaded you up with more than you can handle at once. Add a few techs who can't perform the services either and you have a bunch of people standing there while one or two does the work. Frustrating to say the least.An assistant manager or senior tech that can't perform an extra service is unacceptable.

A few positive notes.
1.)Store management works with you when you have personal issues.
2.) All the tools are there for everyone to do their job properly.
3.) Education and improvement are always encouraged in the doctrine.
I wish I could say more positive things, VIOC has potential to be a great place to work.
Pros
Store Management tends to solid.
Cons
Senior Techs, Too many of them.
didnt like it
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJune 19, 2015
worst Job I've ever had by far! everyone thinks they are better then the next person and its hard for them to teach you what you need to know with that kind of attitude
fun workplace
Technician (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJune 17, 2015
Complete up 80 oil changes per day. I Learned with lots of dicipline and teamwork you can accomplish great things. Management was military based and for the demands of the job was an effective tool. Coworkers were great and would bend over backwards to help. Enjoyable times were closing up the store and sharing stories about the work day.
Pros
tought me hard work pays off
Cons
difficult schedules
Good
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 16, 2015
Our location of the shop affects the number of clients we get each day. The service center is tucked inside Long Beach Towne Center right next to the 605 fwy and many people don't notice the shop. Our average car count during week days is about 25-30 and on weekends its about 35-40. I have learned quite a bit from working here. I think of this job as teaching me all the mistakes that I can make now and less in the future. The most enjoyable part of the job is working on cars and having customers thank me for the great customer service.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Pay
Always running around, no breaks.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Topside/Bottom-SideJune 1, 2015
Terrible experience, the pay is nice, but you'll never get 40 hours a week. Plus the job itself is not worth it, minimal safety gear, I was told I was supposed to provide my own gloves instead of washing my hands.
Pros
Working on vehicles.
Cons
Immature personel with favoritism.
Great place to work depending on surrounding crew.
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  la mesa, caMay 26, 2015
Working for valvoline can be a really fun job, where you love going to work everyday. but it can also be a job you despise, feel overworked, and underpaid.
Pros
long breaks, fun job
Cons
pay
Productive and fun place to work
Certified Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 19, 2015
perform car maintenance as cars came in. During down time we would make sure the store was clean or stand by the road to advertise.
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Murrysville, PAMay 16, 2015
None typical automotive technician position. Fast pace workdays. Corporate management was terrible. Long hour days. Extreme climate tempatures
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Blanc, MIMay 15, 2015
Excellence communication, yearly raises, great benefit package. Extra training. Great supervisors and a fun place to work.
Good Job
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 6, 2015
You get in to a fast pace busy place of buisness. It is enjoable. It is a growing buisness so moving up is always incouraged.
good
Top Side Technician/ Senior Top Side Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCMay 5, 2015
its a fun and easy place to learn about cars i enjoyed my time here
i liked cars and now know more about them now
they are a good company to work for
Wonderful company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kendallville, INApril 30, 2015
I learned a lot from working for Valvoline. I enjoyed the group of men I worked with at that time, learned to do inventory, sales, enter customer data into computer, and give customers the best possible experience possible.
Pros
Friendly place to work
fun place to work
Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 24, 2015
Very fun place to work when its slow and very professional when it got busy perfect balance at a work place. I would definitely recommend someone to work for this company.
Pros
room for growth, and free movies
Cons
I like a job where I am going to stay busy
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  lexington kyApril 18, 2015
I work in a fast paced and high stress environment. I have been employed there for four years this June and have been a member of management since my first year there. The hardest part of my job is trying to be everywhere at once. The most enjoyable is being able to talk to new people everyday.
Fast Paced, Critical Thinking Environment
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  AnnapolisApril 17, 2015
Work is consistently busy.
I've learned a ton about cars, how they work, people and how they work and how to manipulate tools.
Management is normally peers: not over-bearing.
Co workers are supportive and want to learn as much as you do. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers' issues.
The most enjoyable part is that feeling you get when a customer tells you how great they car runs because of service you have done.