Vamc Employee Reviews

Nurse practitioner, primarily in gastroenterology and preop setting
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJune 6, 2016
Most enjoyable - patients.
Hardest - federal government rules/regulatioins.
Typical day - 14 patient load for H&P exams, risk stratification, answer consults. Interact with multiple people and departments.
Management - case manager for FOB nurse
Learned how much I don't know.
Fun place to work
Certified Peer Support Specialist (full time) (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMay 26, 2016
I love to come to work because it is very rewarding. The staff work as a team and we jell nicely most of the time. The veterans we serve show growth in many areas of their life.
Pleasant Patients
LPN (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 17, 2016
Learned a lot about rehab patients. Enjoyed working for this company. Able to attend to multiple committees throughout the hospital.
Vamc
3rd Pary Insurance Biller (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KS 66048April 22, 2016
The training was not organized and when you where struggling that's when they trained you. If you are not in the click then you don't get privaledges and are not treated farely
Pros
VERY CLOSE TO HOME
Cons
NO ONE TO GIVE CLEAR DIRECTION
Enjoyed helping the vetarans with care they deserved!
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 20, 2016
I had a nice nurse manager, my co-workers were pleasant to work with. I enjoyed the day working with physicians and other nurses to improve client care and meeting their needs. I acquired additional nursing skills, always to continue nursing education..
Pros
good atmoshere
Cons
parking space
Rewarding job of what you do
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 31, 2016
-its a non stop until tour of duty ends each day.
-customer service and multi task job
-ton of data to analyze and complied
This was a wonderful opportunity to serve the Veterans of Wyoming and Northern Colorado
IDTT/MHTTC/MHICM-RN (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 15, 2016
I enjoyed every minute of my job. My patients and peers were excellent people and professionals. I was extremely fortunate to be a part of this fine team.
Pros
The team, professionalism, kindness, patient focused and most importantly the Veterans
Cons
the commute from Northern Colorado to Wyoming in winter was difficult
Lack of top down leadership and accountability
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Salem, VANovember 12, 2015
What you see in the media about the VA is true. It is soaked with bureaucracy that protects poor performers and policy violators.

I worked with a lot of good people who fortunately hold themselves accountable to their actions. I also worked with several people who would have been fired in the private sector employment. Poor performers and policy violators. Some of these poor performers are leaders not truly held accountable for their actions others are employees protected by union red tape.

This all creates a culture of mediocracy and complacency that ends up burning out good employees and in turn affecting the veterans we serve as you see in the news.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
Complacency and Lack of Accountability
same as last review
Special Contributions (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 22, 2015
Great place to work. Excellent environment. Hectic at times but enjoyable. People are very friendly. Work is steady but workload is heavy at times.
Pros
2 breaks - 1 lunch
Cons
none noted
The most enjoyable part of the job
Social Work Program Manager, Medicine (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 17, 2015
I enjoy my position which involves leading and mentoring employees. My position allows for creativity regarding improvements or adjustments in my area. I have the opportunity to be involved in clinical work as well as consultation on challenging situations. I perceive my role as a member of the team rather than solely a leader. I do not hesitate to roll up my sleeves to accomplish team goals.
Pros
Mentoring, educating, trouble shooting, problem solving, creativity, clinical
Cons
Excess paperwork, political, slow Systemic responses

Want to know more about Vamc?

Ask a question
What I have learn ...
Advanced Medical Support Assistant/ADPAC (Current Employee) –  Salem, VASeptember 20, 2015
My qualities attributes help me to deal with multiple, competing demands. It shows initiative in seeking solutions to problems. I avoid hasty decisions and weighs alternative decisions before making commitments when navigating limited enrollment activity. I am able to assist patients using Register Once for new transient enrollee's.

I have the ability to speak with my co-workers and teammates (internal customers) and encourage constructive actions by employees by promoting harmony and teamwork. I am able to share the VA's vision which earns the respect and loyalty of my peers and subordinates. My uplifted ability helps motivate others by generating enthusiasm.
Pros
I believe in my role of fostering a culter of respect, equal opportunity, innovation and accountability.
Cons
There are days can be a little stressful.
Great Work Environment
Biomedical Equipment Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2015
Productive work environment with staff that enjoy taking care of America's veterans. Management works well with lower level staff and the ability to advance is highly capable if you put forth your best effort. I enjoy working in this atmosphere and I wish every job was as motivating and self satisfying as my job.
Pros
Tax free environment
Cons
Rarely any Overtime
workplace is slow paced
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAAugust 7, 2015
working at the VAMC is something that will never be forgotten as long as one lives. most of the daily routine is the same no matter what. if was slow paced.
Pros
freedom to roam
Cons
slow paced
Vamc
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe,ohioJuly 20, 2015
excellent place to apply your skills. work with veterans the benefits were excellent. the only drawback was where the other employees wouldn't help unless their job stated that it was requirement
Always something different,Vets are our only mission.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 14, 2015
Report is shared from off-going personnel; medications are given, admissions and discharges are throughout the day, nursing assessments and progress notes are done on each Vet, the interdisciplinary team meets to form a treatment plan, rounds are made on all Vets, emergency situations are handled swiftly and competently. Reports are given to the on-coming shift.

I like all aspects of my job; it is never the same and certainly never dull. The Vets are always interesting and their experiences are unique.
Pros
VA Nurses are giving back to those who have suffered, we have excellent benefits and working place.
Cons
Takes a long time to get things changed, lots of red tape, the Vets have to go through years getting their benefits and are very frustrated.
Great Place to Work!!
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 2, 2015
Great organization with positive people everywhere. Many opportunities for advancement. I recently received my award for 30 years of Federal Service. I would recommend working with the Department of Veterans Affairs to anyone seeking a rewarding career.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses, vacation time, travel.
Cons
Can't think of any at this moment.
Very educating place to work, with wonderful and helpful people at your side.
Coder (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 1, 2015
A typical day at work, a greeting to and from all fellow co-workers first thing in the morning.
Settling down to a wonderful job, I learned how to help others whenever possible.
Most all management in this facility were great people, very helpful and compassionate.
The hardest part of this job was working with the veterans and knowing what they have gone through, and the most enjoyable part of this job was also the veterans, helping was a great joy.
Best hospital I've worked at.
Pharmacy Tech & Procurement Budget Tech (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 3, 2015
This was a smaller hospital and the best place I've ever worked.
Not only did the pharmacy staff get along during work, but we also
enjoyed each others company away from work. It wasn't only the
pharmacy, but we got along great with other departments. This is
one place where everyone helped each other out and you were treated with respect just like the pharmacists or anyone else with a higher degree. Most enjoyable was working along side the many volunteers we had. They were the best!
Pros
Lots of free lunches from drug companies.
Cons
Can't think of anything.
Good area to learn and work.
Physician (Former Employee) –  Pineville, LAApril 27, 2015
My VAMC was good experience to learn and work. My typical day evaluation and treatment patient; if the patient needed to be admitted immediately consult the Physician on call to discuss case and admitted. Evaluated and admitted psychiatrics patients after the Psychiatry evaluated and determine needed to be admitted.
Learn about differents veteran's diseases and pathologies and the correct therapy. Enjoy the patient's and relatives approach;very confidence,cooperatives:good experience.
In my experience no founded hardest situation,we had all available services to work together and resolve any situation:good staff.
Most enjoyable part:learn about health,security,computarized system and good relationship with the peers.
Pros
Available excelent Staff Services.
Cons
No founded Cons.
Difficult
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNApril 7, 2015
If you enjoy being JUST a RN than this is the place for you. I loved the mission of serving the Veterans but it was impossible to do what I love --advocate.
Pros
Veterans
Cons
Unable to invoke changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vamc. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2