Vamc Employee Reviews

satisfying and enjoyed helping veterans
Internship position for phlebotomy (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 5, 2017
I spent eight hours a day drawing blood from veterans that needed blood work, I learned alot about phlebotomy.I loved to talk with the veterans and here their stories. I loved to make them smile. The manager was harsh and sometimes hard to work with.
Pros
helping veterans
Cons
manager was harsh
Productive Place of employment
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Pineville, LAJune 21, 2017
Recommend anyone to work for VAMC or any Veteran to use their services. Very safe environment for employment and also they give great services to all their Veterans
Having compassion while assisting veterans with benefit claims
National Service Officer III (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 10, 2017
I learned that you never know what a person is going through therefore, I treated everyone with compassion and a will to help all veterans, widows, and dependents.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to obtain benefits due to not eligible or not enough medical evidence.

The joy of the job was assisting people when they felt like they had no one to fight for benefits, admission to hospitals rehabs, or adaptive equipment.
Pros
Able to shop at the store
Cons
The bathroom was not close to the office
very busy
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 19, 2017
collecting approximately 70 urines for drug testing taking vital singes taking glucometers -breathilizers etc and charting in the computer all of the above. my imidiate manager couldn`t be better. the workplace is very busy and fast paced the hardest part of my job is sheer numbers the stress the responsibility the most enjoyable part of my job the people I work with the people I help American veterans.
Pros
work with good people
Cons
seeing so meny young people addicted
I love working at VAMC
Lead Contact Rep (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMarch 8, 2017
I have worked here for 4 years and I love working here. This is a career not just a job. They work with you and your home life and take care of you very well.
Adverse working enviroment.Friendly co-workers and patrons.
Lead Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 3, 2017
Very busy opening operations, I have learned that I was able to push myself further than I thought that I could. Management was fair and listened to all concerns and worked with you to absolve issues that presented themselves.. I worked in a very diverse culture opportunities to learn from everyone. The hardest part of my job was to see our vets at low point in their lives. the most enjoyable part of my job was how a rapport was build on a daily basis to make all of there lives a little better.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
job
Care coordinator Home Telehealth (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2017
Independently working at highest level of skills as RN. Performing administrative and patient care duties. Business and quality management aspects of organization are within scope of practice
Pros
healthcare and retirement benefits; vacation and sick leave; holidays off
Cons
promotion inside organization
hands on training
RRT (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 24, 2017
This hospital was a for profit teaching hospital.This is a fast pass hospital and very challenging environment.I was able to learn much and had a great team to work with
Pros
hands on training
Cons
parking
Outstanding on benefits/competative pay
ARNP (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 20, 2017
A very good place to work, employees are friendly, and you are able to learn your craft

As a clinician, this is important. There is always opportunity for advancement
Pros
benefits and paid holidays
Cons
M-F work schedule
good place to work
CWT­ grounds assistant (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NY 14020February 8, 2017
nice co workers and management.Able to set my own hours.training is very good.Management is understanding to needs of employees.Very fun job,time goes by fast
Communication and collaboration is imperative concerningthe well-being of each patient
Staff Nurse -RN-BSN (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 26, 2016
Providing therapy through music, meditation, games and art and talking to patients have been rewarding. I have learned that communication and collaboration with patients, providers, staff, an networking with other disciplines are important from the time the patients arrives to the time they are discharged. Providing and teaching about appropriate medication administration is important for all staff giving medications to know for the patients safety. My co-workers will work with me as long as they feel like a team and thy are a part of something. The most enjoyable part of this job was talking to my team member in a huddle concerning care and safety. A disruptive patient can be most challenging.
Pros
Hoiday parties
Cons
Short breaks
Dynamic working conditions
Nurse (Current Employee) –  9045 e 59 th streetDecember 21, 2016
Growing environment that fosters thinking outside of the box and values employees interaction. Team building and critical thinking valued. Chance for upward movement based on employee initiative
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
None to speak of
Medical Coordinator
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 8, 2016
I have been doing this for over 31 yrs. I help coordinator new surgical patient to make sure that labs,xray etc. are ready for the procedure they will be haven't done. Also help the doctors and nurse with getting them to the right appointments.
I will order the supplies to run this area. There is usually 30 patient a day on the Surgical ward.
I do the paperwork for admission and the post-op patient.
consistent work load
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaOctober 3, 2016
Very easy to balance a work load at the VA. the staff has always been helpful and friendly. Management is easy to get along with as well as get ahold of. the best part is the team work.
Nice place to work. Good environment
Tier 2 Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2016
This was a federal contractor position. I was never treated with disregard for being a contractor and not a full employee. The staff and the management here were very decent to work with
Nurse practitioner, primarily in gastroenterology and preop setting
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJune 6, 2016
Most enjoyable - patients.
Hardest - federal government rules/regulatioins.
Typical day - 14 patient load for H&P exams, risk stratification, answer consults. Interact with multiple people and departments.
Management - case manager for FOB nurse
Learned how much I don't know.
Fun place to work
Certified Peer Support Specialist (full time) (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMay 26, 2016
I love to come to work because it is very rewarding. The staff work as a team and we jell nicely most of the time. The veterans we serve show growth in many areas of their life.
Pleasant Patients
LPN (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 17, 2016
Learned a lot about rehab patients. Enjoyed working for this company. Able to attend to multiple committees throughout the hospital.
Vamc
3rd Pary Insurance Biller (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KS 66048April 22, 2016
The training was not organized and when you where struggling that's when they trained you. If you are not in the click then you don't get privaledges and are not treated farely
Pros
Very close to home
Cons
No one to give clear direction
Enjoyed helping the vetarans with care they deserved!
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 20, 2016
I had a nice nurse manager, my co-workers were pleasant to work with. I enjoyed the day working with physicians and other nurses to improve client care and meeting their needs. I acquired additional nursing skills, always to continue nursing education..
Pros
good atmoshere
Cons
parking space