Vamc

Vamc Employer Reviews

Dedicated professionsls
Facilities Control Manager (Current Employee), Martinsburg, WVNovember 4, 2014
Most stories about government employees are not very well presented. However, at our facility there are many dedicated workers who do work long hours and are sincerely concerned about their customers.
Wonderful staff: Second family :)
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 29, 2014
Best part of my day is getting to interact with the veterans and hearing their life stories.
great place for an intern
LISW Long-term Psychiatry (Current Employee), Chillicothe, OHOctober 8, 2014
great place for an intern. Awesome people for supervision. The veterans are wonderful to work with.
i truly enjoyed working with the veterans
lpn (Former Employee), Leavenworth, KSAugust 27, 2014
Pros: knowing at midnight that i had done the best of my ability to do my job right
Cons: management
graduated from school on a thursday,went to the va for a application on the same day and was called for interview on tuesday.got hired and i never wanted to work anywhere else in my nursing career.i did want to work there for the benefits and the security as i was a single divorced mother of three.most of the nurses i worked with were great.most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of the pts
Love working here
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Coatesville, PAJune 13, 2014
Pros: working with the veteran's
I enjoy coming to work with the veteran's on a daily basis. I have learned new skills almost daily. Management is easy to work with and seem to care about thier employee's.
Most of my jobs were very enjoyable, but tough.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJune 4, 2014
Pros: the people i encounter, co-workers and patients.
Cons: management
Up until about 4 years ago, the VA was a very good place to work. It was tough some days, but nobody mind coming to work. We had less staff and more patients(harder patients), but we had a good working team. They now have more staff and less patients, but the work has become more difficult to do safely. It is much more stressful, and what was okay today would get you fired tomorrow. My fellow workers are still supportive and the patients are wonderful and a joy to help. The hardest part of the job lately is management who do not really know their job.
Professionally rewarding
R.N. - Staff Development Instructor (Former Employee), Loma Linda, CAMay 19, 2014
Pros: steady advancement opportunities
Cons: too many nonproductive "meetings"
Orientation Classes for new hires
CPR classes
Development of self-study programs for staff
Teaching computer programs to staff
Worked with outstanding team of 3 instructors and chief of education
Hardest part of job was getting it all done
Most enjoyable was being part of an outstanding professional team
VAMC
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 12, 2014
Great benefits
Advancements are scarce and/or very limited.
If you like helping veterans, this may be the place for you!
Charge Nurse, Inpatient Psychiatric Units (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 27, 2014
Cons: parking could be a challenge, depending on what time of day it was
I worked in the inpatient psychiatric units at the Denver VAMC. A typical day included making rounds to maintain safety for the patients. I did a lot of medical surgical nursing as well, including doing EKG's, drawing blood for labs, and administering medications and other treatments. I led group meetings. I kept patient records in the electronic health record. The people I worked with were the best part of the job. They truly cared for the people we served. The hardest part was handling some violent patients from time to time. I left because we moved to another state.
Heating and Cooling Calls
HVAC Mechanic (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: stayed busy and learned everyday
Cons: pay
Take heating and cooling and refrigerator calls, trouble shoot and repair.
RN Hunter Holmes McGuire (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 19, 2014
Being a RN in one of Virginia's busiest emergency departments. I have learned as a staff RN, Charge RN and team leader- that the typical day can change quickly and without a lot of time to strategize and adapt to any given situation. So I now know that critical thinking and knowing the strengths of staff and resources to pull from is paramount . In an emergency. IE: acute stroke,STEMI, and Code Blue time is fleeting and critical thinking is the best way to assist the doctors and other team members to saves lives. Also, I have been blessed to work with some of the greatest professionals in the business. who were dedicated to their calling.
typical government work
Clinician / Provider (Former Employee), Manchester, NHNovember 28, 2013
Pros: good workload
Cons: politics and bureaucracy
I was also studying MBA, good work load in light of this.
Hours good, some professional stimulation issues but balanced by workload
nice and fun place to learn a lot and the peoples
Laundry (Former Employee), lake city flOctober 18, 2013
Pros: break on time good supervisers
Cons: allways on time love it
yes its a job that's vets help vets and the staff and the production that we get out that's motivation make you want to go go its a job I would to keep
Amazing patients, wonderful job stability
Radiologic Health Technician (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 30, 2013
The VA is a busy hospital where you can stay busy from 730 am until 400 pm. There are plenty of opportunities to work in different departments, OR, fluoro, injections/pain management. The patients make every day worthwhile!
Arklatex Diagnostic Concept is no longer in business
MRI Assistant (Former Employee), Shreveport, LASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: great manager
Cons: closed down after the contract was completed
Arklatex Diagnostic Concepts was a MRI contractor for the VAMC
Great place to work with lots of clinical experience.
Graduate Social Work Intern (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAAugust 23, 2013
Pros: the opportunity of receiving clinical experience as a masters level social worker.
Working at VAMC requires a lot of focus in assisting the veterans in their care and needs.
I learned not to judge a person by what is visible. The experience taught me to be mindful, considerate and respectful to every person individually. The staff and co-workers I worked with were very helpful, and supportive and were cohesive to function well as a team.
The hardest part of the job was in trying to ensure that all the veteran's needs were met and not having control over the process of other resources.
The most enjoyable part of the job was in knowing that I was ready and available to assist the veterans that were assigned to me.
VA
Primary Care Case Manager Salisbury (Current Employee), Salisbury NCAugust 14, 2013
Love working with the Veterans..there are unique challenges everyday and they have taught me so much.
A day at the VA
CT Technologist (Current Employee), Huntington, WVAugust 2, 2013
Pros: day shift
Truly enjoy my patients at the VA. They are they are the best part of my job. We do typically 20-30 CT non-contrast and contrast studies per day. We are doing biopsies and other interventional procedures on Wednesdays.
We are a family in CT. We work extremely well together.
I would say the hardest part of my job is when a patient dies that you've have gotten to know through repeated scans.
Fast paced with a lot of variety
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAAugust 1, 2013
Pros: great benefits.
Overall a great place to work! Wonderful team of nurses and great patients with a lot of variety on the floor.
Clean Veterans' Facility with staff who wholeheartedly cared for their patients
VALOR NURSE (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 11, 2013
Great opportunity to be selected for the VA Learning Opportunities Residency (VALOR) program while a student at the Capstone College of Nursing. Would have considered employment at the facility should it have been available upon completion of my program at the time.