Would you like a competitive salary and great working environment? West Virginia Junior College in Morgantown offers a friendly, small college atmosphere where people and their opinions are respected. We work together on a first name basis to help people achieve their personal and career goals. Currently, we are accepting applications for full-time nursing faculty.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The primary purpose of the position of the Nursing Faculty is to assist the Nursing Program Director and other faculty members in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the curriculum, to develop strategies to teach the curriculum, and to assist in the implementation of the course through teaching, supervising, and provision of academic advisement of students.
Qualifications of the Instructor are congruent with the qualifications of faculty teaching a nursing course noted in Title 19, Series 1-11.1 of the West Virginia Legislative Rule. The Instructor must meet the following requirements:
- Have a graduate degree with a major in nursing.
- Have credentials which verify status as a registered professional nursing in West Virginia
- Have evidence of current experience in nursing practice and education sufficient to demonstrate professional competence. (For faculty with less than two years’ experience in education, the nursing program administrator will submit to the Board mentoring and orientation plans as defined by Board guidelines and function under the guidance of a faculty member fully qualified in the specific teaching area and professional competence)
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
For each course in which the Instructor is assigned, she/he will:
- Follow the syllabus exactly as written
- Teach all courses as assigned
- Design and implement teaching strategies that will assist a nursing student to meet the course objectives or outcomes.
- Evaluate each assigned nursing student’s achievement and progress.
- Periodically evaluate the progress of each assigned nursing student in the course in which the Instructor is assigned.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and update the purpose, philosophy, objectives and organizational framework of the Nursing Education Program
- Assist in the design, implementation, and evaluation of the curriculum using a written plan.
- Develop, evaluate and revise student admission, progression, retention and graduation policies within the policies of West Virginia Junior College
- Provide academic advising and guidance of students.
- Schedule 6 hours of office hours per week for student availability.
- Plan and provide theoretical instruction and clinical or laboratory experiences that reflect an understanding of the philosophy, objectives and curriculum if the Nursing Education Program
- Provide competent instruction in the clinical and theoretical areas of nursing.
- Maintain high standards and promote excellence in education.
- Participate in and contribute to the team-teaching of classroom and clinical courses and model team-enhancing behavior for students.
- Serve as a role model for students in professional interaction with other health workers and with clinical facilities.
- Promote positive and productive relationships with service area hospitals, clinics, businesses, industries, and agencies.
- Be prompt and punctual in reporting for work, in meeting classes, and in keeping office hours.
- Collect, record, maintain, and submit accurate class records including grades, absences, withdrawal and/or class drop information to appropriate offices.
- Maintain attendance records for clinical groups and for classes taught.
- Serve on Nursing Staff committees as assigned.
- Evaluate the progress of students in all classes according to institutional, divisional, departmental, and individual criteria.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of materials such as those used in academic administration when requested, including course syllabi, program outlines, articulation, and catalog materials.
- Participate in scheduled in-service activities.
- Promote student development through enrichment and mentoring experiences.
- Become familiar with institutional policies and procedures as outlined in the College Catalog, and the Faculty Handbook and follow such policies and procedures.
- Perform any other professional duties as assigned by the Nursing Program Director
The Instructor will maintain nursing expertise through ongoing professional development and life-long learning. It is the responsibility of the School of Nursing to provide time off for the faculty to obtain continuing education requirements as possible within the schedule of classes. Time will be provided based on program needs and course requirements as long as curriculum needs are met. It remains the responsibility of the Instructor to maintain expertise and currency with nursing knowledge through the following required activities:
- Completing at least the minimal continuing education requirements for the renewal of their West Virginia license.
Documentation of currency with nursing knowledge and scholarship:
- Each Faculty will submit documentation of the education and activities to the Nursing Program Director.
Indeed - 10 months ago