Vanderbilt University Medical Center Employee Reviews

Medical assistant jobs
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 19, 2017
I don't understand how a PSR ( Assoc. Patient Service Spec.) someone with not medical background can make more than a MA. A MA should be paid more due to going to school and having a medical background.
It's a trap
Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37232September 18, 2017
Typical work day contains high levels of stress and not enough help. The workplace culture was centered round teaching and learning. Compensation was poor.
Head supervisor made the work environment very hard.
Secretary/Patient Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 12, 2017
The doctor I worked for was great and I loved helping the patients, but the head supervisor was hateful and disrespectful to employees. hours were good
I enjoyed the expericene
Compensation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 7, 2017
I enjoyed the experience of learning the HR side of compensation. The staff was gracious and worked tirelessly to provider for their customers. Great work environment
Work place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 6, 2017
Wonderful work environment with extremely professional people! The experience gained here was exceptional as was the skill obtained. Would recommend this hospital to anyone!
Depends on which department you work.
Sr. Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 28, 2017
The clinical areas seem to be a good place to work but not the administrative areas. I worked at 100 Oaks and I hated it. I also worked at Crystal Terrace and it was better.
Pros
good benefits, good salary
Cons
work environment.
Large organization undergoing significant change.
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 28, 2017
Busy, fast paced. Many changes taking place. Organization requires people to wear many hats, and sometimes there are not enough hours in the day to address all of the items that need attention.
It's all about the dollar
Associate Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 25, 2017
Unfortunately, changes in culture as a result of a dollar driven enterprise have resulted in many employees looking elsewhere. It used to be a great place to work.
Not A Good Place To Work
Care Partner Cna (Current Employee) –  Nashville TnAugust 22, 2017
The Nurses Over Work &Use The Cna's They Make The Cna's Do Alot For Very Little Pay Don't Make Friends &Talk To Nobody STAY TO YOURSELF Come To Work &Do Your Job
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lack Of Poor Management Attendance Policies& Having To Pay To Park (You Have To Pay To Come To Work)
job advancement
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 22, 2017
Doesn't allow me to use my abilities although I am certified in the area. Management not very supportive or fair. Great electronic medical records system easy to navigate
Pros
good benefits
Cons
doesn't pay well
Just a workplace
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 17, 2017
perhaps I was unlucky. I worked at a lab with poor management skills. The boss always push push push , till now. The guy did not give any opportunity to his workers. Every academic meeting he took his family without his researchers.
I thanked him to give me a chance to work at his lab. However, he, I think, the worst assistant professor.
I think Vandy should give the new professor some management training.
Vandy
Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 15, 2017
Steady flow of incoming calls from doctors, insurance reps, and patients scheduling appointments.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult patients when scheduling appointments.
Pros
Overtime availability
Cons
30 min lunches
competitive, at the forefront in research and skills
Registered Nurse Trauma Center (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 14, 2017
From Trauma unit to pre anesthesia evaluation clinic. Came in and saw approx 12 patients per day for verbal and written history, physical exam, ordering testing or further evaluation by cardiologist or specialist, etc. Made certain all scheduled anesthesia experiences were optimized prior to the surgery date.
Pros
not stressful as to critically ill patients
Cons
not musch area to advance.
Amazing
Associate Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2017
VUMC is a wonderful company to work for. Like anywhere there will be those people that you don't like. However the culture and environment is continually fostered for education and improvement.
Fyi
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNAugust 7, 2017
In the 3 years I was there, the company never gave a raise. So make sure you go in at a salary that you are comfortable with for the next 5 years.

Also, be sure there is growth opportunity in the department you are with. There are a lot of dead end jobs/departments.
Benefits
Cons
You pay for parking, you get expensive parking tickets, and NO RAISES
One of the best places I've ever worked
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 4, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Vanderbilt. I worked in development and was not a fan of the University side leadership (notably the Vice Chancellor for Development) but deeply admired the Medical Center leadership and development strategy. I highly recommend working there!
Fast-paced Medical Clinc
PATIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE 2 (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 3, 2017
While working at VUMC I became extremely knowledgeable of all Health Insurance plans, Medical Coding and Billing, along with the pros and cons of our countries current medical industry.
I enjoyed learning about the medical field, however, I mostly enjoyed helping patients in need and learning about their lives.
My direct managers were extremely helpful and caring.
The workplace, along with any other, could at times become challenging, however, the most challenging part for me was my constant desire for increased mental challenges and my desire to travel.
What I enjoyed most was, by far, engaging in genuine conversation with new patients and helping them in any way possible.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Lack of communication regarding new polices
Valet
Valet Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 3, 2017
Its a permanent schedule and you have a few holidays off. The pro is having weekends off but you will be working in extreme weather conditions parking cars.
Became key player in Dept of Radiology
Mgr. Family/Guest Services,.Dept of Radiology (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 3, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my position at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Though challenging, I felt that I rose to the challenge and turned every negative into a positive for patients. Adept at handling complaints both face-to-face and by phone.

Typical day was handling patient/family complaints, coordination with appropriate departments and personnel.

Worked closely with management in the department and entire hospital. Fit-in with the workplace culture and became a key player.

Cannot identify the hardest part of the job; felt a perfect match for the position.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the exchange with the patients, then coordinating with appropriate personnel accordingly.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Working with some fellow-employees who were not dedicated or suited for the job.
In the heart of the city
Registered Nurse 2- Adult Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 3, 2017
You see many trauma pts. There isn't much room for growth in the company. People come from out of town to receive care in this hospital. They provide good care to pts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Reviews by Location